PDA

View Full Version : Backward society?

Tamyka Bell
June 9th 06, 12:45 AM
I have a google alert for the word "cyclist" which pulls up the horrid
news of cyclist deaths anywhere they bother to report it, and also the
good news about who is winning races and so on. I think cfsmtb might
also have the same alert, as she seems to post the same things I find!

Anyway, KBTV Hometown News (Texas) had this article which just goes to
show how backward they are... I'm sure you'll understand my
frustration:

http://tinyurl.com/gapsf
or
http://216.87.159.39/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=11611

Cyclist Dies Three Days After Being Run Over by 18-Wheeler
( Air Date: 6/8/2006 )

Police say a man has died three days after being run over by an
18-wheeler while riding his bicycle.

Police say 40-year-old Brian Leighly and his fiancée were riding their
bicycles along the underpass at the 300 block of S. 4th Street near
downtown Beaumont Monday afternoon when a big rig tried to pass them.

Investigators say Leighly lost his balance and fell in front of the
truck's back wheels. His fiancée watched helplessly as the truck ran
him over.

Police are still investigating the accident, but they do not believe
the truck driver was at fault.

Leighly was listed in critical condition at Christus Hospital Saint
Elizabeth. He died late Wednesday afternoon, according to BPD.

"Vehicles have the right of way over cyclists," Beaumont Police officer
Crystal Holmes told Hometown News the day of the accident. "Witnesses
say the two cyclists were on the roadway. If our investigation proves
this to be true, then the truck driver will not face any charges."

Police say there's a sidewalk along the underpass that the couples
should have used instead of going on the road. Officer Holmes suggests
cyclists get off their bicycles and walk them along the sidewalk.

Karen Gallagher
June 9th 06, 01:03 AM
Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I have a google alert for the word "cyclist" which pulls up the horrid
> news of cyclist deaths anywhere they bother to report it, and also the
> good news about who is winning races and so on. I think cfsmtb might
> also have the same alert, as she seems to post the same things I find!
>
> Anyway, KBTV Hometown News (Texas) had this article which just goes to
> show how backward they are... I'm sure you'll understand my
> frustration:
>

> http://tinyurl.com/gapsf
> or
> http://216.87.159.39/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=11611
>

> Cyclist Dies Three Days After Being Run Over by 18-Wheeler
> ( Air Date: 6/8/2006 )
>
> Police say a man has died three days after being run over by an
> 18-wheeler while riding his bicycle.
>
> Police say 40-year-old Brian Leighly and his fiancée were riding their
> bicycles along the underpass at the 300 block of S. 4th Street near
> downtown Beaumont Monday afternoon when a big rig tried to pass them.
>
> Investigators say Leighly lost his balance and fell in front of the
> truck's back wheels. His fiancée watched helplessly as the truck ran
> him over.
>
> Police are still investigating the accident, but they do not believe
> the truck driver was at fault.
>
> Leighly was listed in critical condition at Christus Hospital Saint
> Elizabeth. He died late Wednesday afternoon, according to BPD.
>
> "Vehicles have the right of way over cyclists," Beaumont Police
> officer Crystal Holmes told Hometown News the day of the accident.
> "Witnesses say the two cyclists were on the roadway. If our
> investigation proves this to be true, then the truck driver will not
> face any charges."
>
> Police say there's a sidewalk along the underpass that the couples
> should have used instead of going on the road. Officer Holmes suggests
> cyclists get off their bicycles and walk them along the sidewalk.

Kind of what we've come to expect in Texas, somehow. To me it's sounds more
like legalised murder, if the policeman was telling the truth.

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

cfsmtb
June 9th 06, 01:36 AM
Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> I have a google alert for the word "cyclist" which pulls up the horrid
> news of cyclist deaths anywhere they bother to report it, and also the
> good news about who is winning races and so on. I think cfsmtb might
> also have the same alert, as she seems to post the same things I find!

My immediate response is that Officer Holmes should go have a chat to
David Long, who was a Florida highway patrolman. David now runs the
http://www.deadlyroads.com site.

Also considering this occured in Texas, why not contact Bicycles Belong
and the Texas Bicycle Coalition?

http://bikesbelong.org/ email:
http://www.biketexas.org/

And the Beaumont Police Department while you're at it:
http://www.beaumontpd.com/ email:

Officer Holmes needs to be reminded of the "Matthew Brown Act" (and a
few other things..)
http://tinyurl.com/mok4o

*******************

Now here's some cheery stuff, read this article by Mighk Wilson,
"Freedom from Fear", he also wrote "The right to travel by human
power".

http://www.floridabicycle.org/freedomfromfear.html

--
cfsmtb

hemyd
June 9th 06, 08:10 AM
"Karen Gallagher" > wrote in message
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>> I have a google alert for the word "cyclist" which pulls up the horrid
>> news of cyclist deaths anywhere they bother to report it, and also the
>> good news about who is winning races and so on. I think cfsmtb might
>> also have the same alert, as she seems to post the same things I find!
>>
>> Anyway, KBTV Hometown News (Texas) had this article which just goes to
>> show how backward they are... I'm sure you'll understand my
>> frustration:
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/gapsf
>> or
>> http://216.87.159.39/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=11611
>>

>> Cyclist Dies Three Days After Being Run Over by 18-Wheeler
>> ( Air Date: 6/8/2006 )
>>
>> Police say a man has died three days after being run over by an
>> 18-wheeler while riding his bicycle.
>>
>> Police say 40-year-old Brian Leighly and his fiancée were riding their
>> bicycles along the underpass at the 300 block of S. 4th Street near
>> downtown Beaumont Monday afternoon when a big rig tried to pass them.
>>
>> Investigators say Leighly lost his balance and fell in front of the
>> truck's back wheels. His fiancée watched helplessly as the truck ran
>> him over.
>>
>> Police are still investigating the accident, but they do not believe
>> the truck driver was at fault.
>>
>> Leighly was listed in critical condition at Christus Hospital Saint
>> Elizabeth. He died late Wednesday afternoon, according to BPD.
>>
>> "Vehicles have the right of way over cyclists," Beaumont Police
>> officer Crystal Holmes told Hometown News the day of the accident.
>> "Witnesses say the two cyclists were on the roadway. If our
>> investigation proves this to be true, then the truck driver will not
>> face any charges."
>>
>> Police say there's a sidewalk along the underpass that the couples
>> should have used instead of going on the road. Officer Holmes suggests
>> cyclists get off their bicycles and walk them along the sidewalk.
>
> Kind of what we've come to expect in Texas, somehow. To me it's sounds
> more like legalised murder, if the policeman was telling the truth.
>
> Karen
>
> --
> "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
> - Slartibartfast

Here in Australia all a driver has to do after hitting a bike is say "he
veered in front of me" and he'll soon be sent on his way by the police. A
dead cyclist sure isn't going to say otherwise.

Henry.

Terryc
June 9th 06, 04:19 PM
Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Anyway, KBTV Hometown News (Texas) had this article which just goes to
> show how backward they are... I'm sure you'll understand my
> frustration:

This is the USA, where there must be something wrong with you if you are
not driving a car.

dtmeister
June 10th 06, 03:27 AM
Tamyka Bell > wrote:

> Anyway, KBTV Hometown News (Texas) had this article which just goes to
> show how backward they are... I'm sure you'll understand my
> frustration:

:( I posted this in rec.bicycles.tech (not strictly the right group but
at least they are a fairly normal bunch) and there's some discussion
including at least one person who's going to be writing some letters
etc.

--
..dt

cfsmtb
June 10th 06, 06:57 AM
dtmeister Wrote:
> ( I posted this in rec.bicycles.tech (not strictly the right group but
> at least they are a fairly normal bunch) and there's some discussion
> including at least one person who's going to be writing some letters
> etc.

That's more like it. Have a read of these threads via Bike Texas:

Coalition Responds to Tragic Death of Cyclist
http://www.biketexas.org/content/view/671/71/

Cycling Community Fights North Texas Bike Ban
http://www.biketexas.org/content/view/710/71/

Although these are not about Brian Leighly, the issues are virtually
identical. Have read of this, "Is it safe to bike on Loop 360?" It will
give you further insight into the strange illogical world inhabited by
folks in pickup trucks & Hummers.....

http://tinyurl.com/muw55

Choice extract:
-Why should I be forced to drive at a speed that allows me to control
my car? Just to avoid putting someone else’s life in danger? I thought
this was america. Why can’t I drive 100 mph? If I run into a bicycle -
well, I’m driving a bigger vehicle, so I’m right. My convenience is
more important than anyone else’s life.-

****
Meh!!!!!! I hope that one was left in jest ... :mad:

--
cfsmtb

dewatf
June 10th 06, 02:32 PM
On 8 Jun 2006 16:45:13 -0700, Tamyka Bell wrote:

> Investigators say Leighly lost his balance and fell in front of the
> truck's back wheels. His fiancée watched helplessly as the truck ran
> him over.

If that is true the not the truck drivers fault at all.

If a cyclist happens to fall to the left (right in this country) while a
truck is legally overtaking them then game over.

dewatf.

TimC
June 10th 06, 02:39 PM
On 2006-06-10, dewatf (aka Bruce)
> On 8 Jun 2006 16:45:13 -0700, Tamyka Bell wrote:
>
>> Investigators say Leighly lost his balance and fell in front of the
>> truck's back wheels. His fiancée watched helplessly as the truck ran
>> him over.
>
> If that is true the not the truck drivers fault at all.
>
> If a cyclist happens to fall to the left (right in this country) while a
> truck is legally overtaking them then game over.

Except if the truck overtook recklessly, too fast, and too close, and
the pressure drop sucked the cyclist under the wheels.

--
TimC

Tamyka Bell
June 14th 06, 01:14 AM
TimC wrote:

> On 2006-06-10, dewatf (aka Bruce)
> > On 8 Jun 2006 16:45:13 -0700, Tamyka Bell wrote:
> >
> >> Investigators say Leighly lost his balance and fell in front of the
> >> truck's back wheels. His fiancée watched helplessly as the truck ran
> >> him over.
> >
> > If that is true the not the truck drivers fault at all.
> >
> > If a cyclist happens to fall to the left (right in this country) while a
> > truck is legally overtaking them then game over.
>
> Except if the truck overtook recklessly, too fast, and too close, and
> the pressure drop sucked the cyclist under the wheels.
>
> --
> TimC
> Computers are not intelligent. They only think they are.

Actually, I never said anything to imply that I thought it was the truck
drivers fault. I was commenting on a backward society in which "Vehicles
have the right of way over cyclists," and cyclists are told to "get off
their bicycles and walk them along the sidewalk."

Tam

LotteBum
June 14th 06, 03:13 AM
Wow, a society more backwards than 'ours'! Unbelievable!

--
LotteBum

cfsmtb
June 14th 06, 03:30 AM
LotteBum Wrote:
> Wow, a society more backwards than 'ours'! Unbelievable!

Some of us are quietly working at giving our backward society a good
hard kick up the date. Politely of course, you know what I mean :)

--
cfsmtb

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home