PDA

View Full Version : semi-annual BikeReader self-promo

Sam
January 15th 04, 04:42 PM
I started construction on BikeReader.com in the summer of '00 to
warehouse a large variety of material that all had one thing in
common: I'd seen it in a magazine and liked it. That mission statement
soon expanded to include cherry-picking from the web, the 20 Questions
cycle, and ‘Over the Transom' reader contributions. I even began
soliciting haiku, which sent a shudder through the respective haiku
and bicycling communities.

My archiving knew no bounds. I spent a week typing in an entire
out-of-print book I'd never read before (‘The Man Who Loved Bicycles')
simply because I thought a few readers out there might enjoy it and
would appreciate a copy online. I collected public domain poetry,
topical Calvin & Hobbes strips, Dirt Rag Magazine covers, a
collaborative work in progress about a couchbike, forum threads,
excerpts from books... anything that caught my eye.

Naturally, BikeReader provided a venue for my own writing, including
my first published cycling-related story, made-up letters to the
editor which fooled a publisher, and a
genre-bending-experiment-cum-homage to Douglas Adams. Considering all
the work I was putting into BR, it seemed only fair. If you groove on
my oeuvre [ouch], visit ‘BikeReader: solo' on the index page.

I pestered a wide variety of people to get their permission to
reprint, from a former speechwriter of President Carter and current
incumbent of the New Yorker, to folks who I wasn't sure really existed
except as pseudonymous bylines in now-defunct but unerased webzines.
In the end over a hundred authors and artists responded, and
BikeReader grew to hold 400,000+ words and a not insubstantial cache
of cartoons and photographs.

The site was meant as a refuge for anyone who desires quality
editorial without the advertorial. As I wrote in the FAQ, ‘Given the
tiny market for cycling literature, and the micro-population which
savours a well-turned sentence, or at least an eccentric one, we never
expected much of an audience share.' That I've been rewarded with not
entirely dire stats over the years is probably due to the Googling
habits of certain well-represented segments of the browsing public
(‘Nude Cycling' comes up quite often). On any given day 500 to 1000
unique visitors show up for a browse. It costs me about £10/mo to keep
the show on the road; as there's no money from advertising I hope to
eventually make it up in volume [baroom-boom].

Some of you will have already visited the site. I hope you liked it;
if you didn't, I have a special mailbox devoted to critiques. Due to
technical difficulties which my ISP assures me will soon be resolved,
all such mail is currently trapped in a recursive loop and sadly
unreadable.

For those who haven't stepped into my virtual parlour, consider this
an invitation. BR is now largely static, but it will continue to be
available baring unforeseen circumstances such as an electromagnetic
pul--

http://www.bikereader.com

Michael Green
January 15th 04, 11:48 PM
> http://www.bikereader.com

No ads, banner ads, popups or things to buy. Bloody brilliant. A model site.

Tony Raven
January 16th 04, 09:33 AM
Michael Green wrote:
>> http://www.bikereader.com
>
> No ads, banner ads, popups or things to buy. Bloody brilliant. A model site.

You've spelt "rider" wrong. Or is it for people who go round reading the
lettering on frames and components?

Tony

PS. Like your self effacing judgement of your own work

MSeries
January 16th 04, 10:14 AM
Sam wrote:

> For those who haven't stepped into my virtual parlour, consider this
> an invitation. BR is now largely static, but it will continue to be
> available baring unforeseen circumstances such as an electromagnetic
> pul--
>

> http://www.bikereader.com
Cracking site, just had time to browse the photos, the ones of Copenhagen
stirred some memories of my first cycle tour which was to Denmark. Liked the
remark about the Roadies not dismounting to take photos, I have many like
that !

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Sam
January 19th 04, 10:59 PM
"Tony Raven" > wrote in message >...
> Michael Green wrote:
> >> http://www.bikereader.com
> >
> > No ads, banner ads, popups or things to buy. Bloody brilliant. A model site.
>
> You've spelt "rider" wrong. Or is it for people who go round reading the
> lettering on frames and components?
>
> Tony
>
> PS. Like your self effacing judgement of your own work

I've never made a judgement of my own work. Still... 'put a small
value on yourself and no one will raise the price'.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home