PDA

View Full Version : We're all edumacated

Euan
June 10th 06, 07:22 AM
From the UK,

OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
cyclist.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

steve46au
June 10th 06, 09:49 AM
Euan Wrote:
> From the UK,
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>
> OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
> cyclist.
> --
> Cheers | ~~ __@
> Euan | ~~ _-\<,
> Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)
Now that has my kids totaly p***ed off LOL

--
steve46au

TimC
June 10th 06, 10:15 AM
On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
> From the UK,
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>
> OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
> cyclist.

Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
rugbyers, at least.

--
TimC
And for the important things in life:

cfsmtb
June 10th 06, 10:38 AM
Race car drivers don't even rate.

bwhahahahahahaha

:D

--
cfsmtb

Euan
June 10th 06, 11:45 AM
TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>> From the UK,
>>
>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>>
>> OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
>> cyclist.
>
> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
> rugbyers, at least.

1) I think you may be thinking of rugby league as opposed to rugby union

2) Rugby Union is a game played by gentlmen in the UK, football's played
by everyone.

3) The game of choice in private schools in the UK is rugby union.

4) As little as ten years ago Rugby Union in the UK was an amatuer game.
Take any rugby union team of that era and you'll find solicitors,
doctors and professionals of all sorts.

5) In case you missed it, rugby union is very much an upper class game
in the UK.

Karen Gallagher
June 11th 06, 03:32 AM
Euan wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>> From the UK,
>>>
>>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>>>
>>> OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the
>>> mill cyclist.
>>
>> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
>> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
>> rugbyers, at least.
>
> 1) I think you may be thinking of rugby league as opposed to rugby
> union
> 2) Rugby Union is a game played by gentlmen in the UK, football's
> played by everyone.
>
> 3) The game of choice in private schools in the UK is rugby union.
>
> 4) As little as ten years ago Rugby Union in the UK was an amatuer
> game. Take any rugby union team of that era and you'll find
> solicitors, doctors and professionals of all sorts.
>
> 5) In case you missed it, rugby union is very much an upper class game
> in the UK.

I thought Rugby Union was a game for louts played by gentlemen, and football
was a game for gentlemen played by louts :)

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Euan
June 11th 06, 06:34 AM
Karen Gallagher wrote:
> Euan wrote:
>> TimC wrote:
>>> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
>>> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
>>> rugbyers, at least.
>> 1) I think you may be thinking of rugby league as opposed to rugby
>> union
>> 2) Rugby Union is a game played by gentlmen in the UK, football's
>> played by everyone.
>>
>> 3) The game of choice in private schools in the UK is rugby union.
>>
>> 4) As little as ten years ago Rugby Union in the UK was an amatuer
>> game. Take any rugby union team of that era and you'll find
>> solicitors, doctors and professionals of all sorts.
>>
>> 5) In case you missed it, rugby union is very much an upper class game
>> in the UK.
>
> I thought Rugby Union was a game for louts played by gentlemen, and football
> was a game for gentlemen played by louts :)

You could be right there (ex-rugby player ;-) )
--
Cheers
Euan

SteveA
June 12th 06, 04:41 AM
Karen Gallagher Wrote:
> Euan wrote:
> > TimC wrote:
> >> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
> >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> >> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
> >> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
> >> rugbyers, at least.
> >
> > 1) I think you may be thinking of rugby league as opposed to rugby
> > union
> > 2) Rugby Union is a game played by gentlmen in the UK, football's
> > played by everyone.
> >
> > 3) The game of choice in private schools in the UK is rugby union.
> >
> > 4) As little as ten years ago Rugby Union in the UK was an amatuer
> > game. Take any rugby union team of that era and you'll find
> > solicitors, doctors and professionals of all sorts.
> >
> > 5) In case you missed it, rugby union is very much an upper class
> game
> > in the UK.
>
> I thought Rugby Union was a game for louts played by gentlemen, and
> football
> was a game for gentlemen played by louts :)
>
> Karen
>
> --
> "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
> - Slartibartfast

Rugby Union is a thugs' game played by gentlemen while Rugby League is
a gentlemen's game played by thugs.

References to "Rugby" are references to Rugby Union, except in places
where Australian Rules predominates and where there is little
differentiation between the two Rugby codes and they are both lumoed
into "Rugby".

A few years ago, a Wallabies side had a couple of players who were
known together as "Null and Void" as they were not as bright as the
other players. They both went on to be successful professionals in
their fields. (Probably proves you don't have to be really smart to be
a successful lawyer in a country town :) )

Most of the blokes I played with are doctors, dentists, lawyers,
accountants, vets, with a few carpenters, plumbers, mechanics thrown
in. Even the dodgy ones seemed to be successful in their fields - one
went on to operate the biggest brothel and prostitution ring in London.

SteveA (ex Rugby player, related to alleged inventor of Australian
Rules and founder of Melbourne Football Club)

--
SteveA

petulance
June 14th 06, 12:07 PM
TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>
>> From the UK,
>>
>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>>
>>OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
>>cyclist.
>

> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
> rugbyers, at least.

Real football? Their players are listed at number 11 in that article.

And like Euan has pointed out, rugby players tend to be an educated lot.
Looking closer to home, Nick Farr-Jones and Peter Fitzsimmons are 2
ex-Wallabies I can think of who have uni degrees.

TimC
June 14th 06, 02:05 PM
On 2006-06-14, petulance (aka Bruce)
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>>>
>>>OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
>>>cyclist.
>>
>> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
>> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
>> rugbyers, at least.
>>

> Real football? Their players are listed at number 11 in that article.

D'oh! I, for some undetermined reason, took that as being AFL.

Get me out of Victoria! It's corrupting my mind!

--
TimC
Experiments must be reproducible; they should all fail in the same way.

Jack Russell
June 14th 06, 10:25 PM
petulance wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
>> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>
>>> From the UK,
>>>
>>> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>>>
>>> OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
>>> cyclist.
>>

>> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
>> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
>> rugbyers, at least.
>>

> Real football? Their players are listed at number 11 in that article.
>
> And like Euan has pointed out, rugby players tend to be an educated lot.
> Looking closer to home, Nick Farr-Jones and Peter Fitzsimmons are 2
> ex-Wallabies I can think of who have uni degrees.
How does that make you intelligent, John Howard has a degree!

--
Remove norubbish to reply

dave
June 14th 06, 10:55 PM
Jack Russell wrote:
> petulance wrote:
>
>> TimC wrote:
>>
>>> On 2006-06-10, Euan (aka Bruce)
>>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>> Rugby players smarter than footballers? Shirley, you jest! No
>>> mention of real football. I reckon they're probably smrter than the
>>> rugbyers, at least.
>>>

>> Real football? Their players are listed at number 11 in that article.
>>
>> And like Euan has pointed out, rugby players tend to be an educated
>> lot. Looking closer to home, Nick Farr-Jones and Peter Fitzsimmons are
>> 2 ex-Wallabies I can think of who have uni degrees.
>
> How does that make you intelligent, John Howard has a degree!

I hear what you say. And some people with degrees are clearly stupid.
But while I am no fan of JH I sure wouldnt describe him as
unintelligent. Lots of other people have made that mistake and so far
he has blown em all away.

Dave

hippy
June 15th 06, 09:39 PM
Euan Wrote:
> From the UK,
>
> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2215762,00.html
>
> OK, it's talking about pro sportsmen not your average run of the mill
> cyclist.

BOOYA! And I've even got the MRIs to prove I have a brain!

hippy
"If I only had a brain.. "

--
hippy

Shabby
June 16th 06, 01:37 AM
I like the fact that English people assume that there's no money in
cycling, despite being a short trip from Europe...... perhaps if they
were good on the road and raced something other than time trials???

--
Shabby

hippy
June 18th 06, 01:10 AM
Shabby Wrote:
> I like the fact that English people assume that there's no money in
> cycling, despite being a short trip from Europe...... perhaps if they
> were good on the road and raced something other than time trials???

It's not all TT'ing.. though there does seem a bias towards it - lots
of TT bikes for sale in bike mag classifieds, for example.

E.g. London race calendar:
http://www.londoncyclesport.com/calendar.html

Aaron Salisbury(?) was pretty clear on the fact that racing in Belgium
was fscking hard and only just paid the bills. Of course, it is going
to depend on how fast you are and what contracts you can talk yourself
into.

hippy

--
hippy