PDA

View Full Version : My 2c on the ongoing netkook issue

gplama
June 15th 06, 12:15 AM
Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
so is anonymous posting via a public medium.

I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.

This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
huggers.. but this place has totally gone to the ****ter. This place is
a great resource for all things bike, but has been completely messed up
by a handful of netkooks over and over and over again.

The junk/spam reporting function on CF has been great, no, fantastic.
But as soon as some NTP caveman replies, that too has to be removed
from CF..

FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

Flame on mothercarbonfibers!

GPL

--
gplama

Karen Gallagher
June 15th 06, 12:39 AM
gplama wrote:
> Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
> so is anonymous posting via a public medium.
>
> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.
>
> This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
> huggers.. but this place has totally gone to the ****ter. This place is
> a great resource for all things bike, but has been completely messed up
> by a handful of netkooks over and over and over again.
>
> The junk/spam reporting function on CF has been great, no, fantastic.
> But as soon as some NTP caveman replies, that too has to be removed
> from CF..
>
> FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
>

> Flame on mothercarbonfibers!
>
> GPL

I use a newsreader (Thunderbird, now), and I've successfully filtered
out all the kooks now, so I don't see what the complaint is. Even the
humblest news readers have some crap filter abilities.

And there are some here that don't have www access at work, I know, so
the forum is not viable for them.

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Damian
June 15th 06, 01:09 AM
gplama wrote:

> FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

I get a "Server too busy" message. Perhaps cyclingforums isn't the
answer :)

gplama
June 15th 06, 01:12 AM
Damian Wrote:
> gplama wrote:
> >
> > FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
>
> I get a "Server too busy" message. Perhaps cyclingforums isn't the
> answer :)

Talk about bad timing... I think their 386SX-16 needs an upgrade..

--
gplama

TimC
June 15th 06, 01:37 AM
On 2006-06-14, gplama (aka Bruce)
> Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
> so is anonymous posting via a public medium.

Heh heh. You accidentally created a pun. What does the Network Time
Protocol have to do with posting to the net?

> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.

Hmmm, on the positive side, I would get my thesis done quicker if
there were less people in news://aus.bicycle.

> This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
> huggers.. but this place has totally gone to the ****ter. This place is
> a great resource for all things bike, but has been completely messed up
> by a handful of netkooks over and over and over again.

I don't see a problem. At least recently, the posts and responses
that have been making it through my killfile have been quite
humourous.

> FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181

Pah!

"The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later."

Both NNTP and NTP have no such issues. OK, so my ISP has crap news
service, so I add another parent service or two to my leafnode config.

--
TimC
>Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function.
You're saying cats are the opposite of bijectiveness? -- ST in RHOD

TimC
June 15th 06, 01:49 AM
On 2006-06-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
> Damian Wrote:
>> gplama wrote:
>> >
>> > FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
>>
>> I get a "Server too busy" message. Perhaps cyclingforums isn't the
>> answer :)
>
> Talk about bad timing... I think their 386SX-16 needs an upgrade..

Bad timing? I swear it happens every time I have gone there.

Of course, every time I go there because someone posted a link, which
means everyone else is going there too...

Which suggests that if all of us here in news://aus.bicycle all of a
sudden went to cyclingforums, it would crash under all our load.

--
TimC
The triangle wheel was an improvement upon the square wheel:

gplama
June 15th 06, 01:55 AM
TimC Wrote:
> On 2006-06-14, gplama (aka Bruce)
> > Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over
> and
> > so is anonymous posting via a public medium.
>
> Heh heh. You accidentally created a pun. What does the Network Time
> Protocol have to do with posting to the net?

haha, that I did... (should read "NNTP" (for players at home))

To sum up my thoughts... Grrr.. grrrr
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I'm getting good at dog language.

GrrrrPL

--
gplama

Bleve
June 15th 06, 02:08 AM
gplama wrote:

> haha, that I did... (should read "NNTP" (for players at home))

Or USENET, if you want to be pedantic. NNTP is just a protocol.

> To sum up my thoughts... Grrr.. grrrr
> grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I'm getting good at dog language.

And ****ting in letterboxes? :)

Bean Long
June 15th 06, 02:14 AM
Karen Gallagher wrote:
> gplama wrote:
>> Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
>> so is anonymous posting via a public medium.
>>
>> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
>> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.
>>
>> This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
>> huggers.. but this place has totally gone to the ****ter. This place is
>> a great resource for all things bike, but has been completely messed up
>> by a handful of netkooks over and over and over again.
>>
>> The junk/spam reporting function on CF has been great, no, fantastic.
>> But as soon as some NTP caveman replies, that too has to be removed
>> from CF..
>>
>> FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
>>

>> Flame on mothercarbonfibers!
>>
>> GPL
>>

> I use a newsreader (Thunderbird, now), and I've successfully filtered
> out all the kooks now, so I don't see what the complaint is. Even the
> humblest news readers have some crap filter abilities.
>
> And there are some here that don't have www access at work, I know, so
> the forum is not viable for them.
>
> Karen

Karen,

I'm using T-bird too but haven't worked out the filtering for news
threads. Can you offer any pointers? I'm getting jack of these kooks!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

TimC
June 15th 06, 02:20 AM
On 2006-06-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
> To sum up my thoughts... Grrr.. grrrr
> grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I'm getting good at dog language.

Hisspit!

In related news, I was in the bathroom this morning, not quite seeing
straight. I was about to put my foot down, and noticed something odd
on the carpet. I hovered my foot, focucussed my eyes, and realised I
was about to step in cat diarreah.

I'm glad I saw that in the nick of time. It had the potential to be
quite unpleasant.

--
TimC
"Eddies in the space time continuum"

Karen Gallagher
June 15th 06, 03:00 AM
Bean Long wrote:
> Karen Gallagher wrote:
>> gplama wrote:
>>> Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
>>> so is anonymous posting via a public medium.
>>>
>>> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
>>> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.
>>>
>>> This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
>>> huggers.. but this place has totally gone to the ****ter. This place is
>>> a great resource for all things bike, but has been completely messed up
>>> by a handful of netkooks over and over and over again.
>>>
>>> The junk/spam reporting function on CF has been great, no, fantastic.
>>> But as soon as some NTP caveman replies, that too has to be removed
>>> from CF..
>>>
>>> FYI: http://www.cyclingforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181
>>>

>>> Flame on mothercarbonfibers!
>>>
>>> GPL
>>>

>> I use a newsreader (Thunderbird, now), and I've successfully filtered
>> out all the kooks now, so I don't see what the complaint is. Even the
>> humblest news readers have some crap filter abilities.
>>
>> And there are some here that don't have www access at work, I know, so
>> the forum is not viable for them.
>>
>> Karen
>>
> Karen,
>
> I'm using T-bird too but haven't worked out the filtering for news
> threads. Can you offer any pointers? I'm getting jack of these kooks!

Use Message, Create Filter from message, then set your filter. I have
them set either on name or topic, for example I have 9/11 filtered out
in the subject, plus anyone's names that feed the trolls. Takes a little
while to take effect as there are quite a few trolls around at present,
but it's now working well with seven different filters working.

HTH

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Shane Stanley
June 15th 06, 03:07 AM
In article >,
gplama > wrote:

> Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
> so is anonymous posting via a public medium.
>
> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.
>
> This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
> huggers.. but this place has totally gone to the ****ter. This place is
> a great resource for all things bike, but has been completely messed up
> by a handful of netkooks over and over and over again.

Everyone on bikes - time to move on - the 1800's are over and
so is anonymous riding on a public medium.

I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
replication from paths to roads.

This may upset some homemade 'bent riding, long haired, tube sock, tree
huggers.. but the roads have totally gone to the ****ter. The roads
were a great place for cars, but has been completely messed up
by a handful of bikekooks over and over and over again.

Oh, sorry -- wrong thread.

--
Shane Stanley

gplama
June 15th 06, 03:17 AM
Karen Gallagher Wrote:

> Use Message, Create Filter from message, then set your filter. I have
> them set either on name or topic, for example I have 9/11 filtered out
> in the subject, plus anyone's names that feed the trolls. Takes a
> little
> while to take effect as there are quite a few trolls around at
> present,
> but it's now working well with seven different filters working.
>
> HTH

careful re: information disclosure..

--
gplama

daveL
June 15th 06, 03:20 AM
Bean Long wrote:

> I'm using T-bird too but haven't worked out the filtering for news
> threads. Can you offer any pointers? I'm getting jack of these kooks!

Tools->Message filters

This should open a dialog box which allows you to specify what the
filter applies to (say aus.bicycle) and create a new filter. I'm pretty
sure you can ignore messages based on the reply to address.

--
DaveL

Karen Gallagher
June 15th 06, 04:26 AM
gplama wrote:
> Karen Gallagher Wrote:
>
>> HTH
>>

> careful re: information disclosure..

Good point, but I suspect the trolls don't read posts here, they just
cross post & the troll feeders follow the cross posts.

Karen

--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

Mike
June 15th 06, 05:19 AM
Shane Stanley wrote:

> Everyone on bikes - time to move on - the 1800's are over and
> so is anonymous riding on a public medium.

Sorry, the "bicycle number plates" thread is over there.

I thought "cycling forums" (when it works) was little more
than a web-gateway for those without the access (or knowhow)
to a news-reader.

dtmeister
June 15th 06, 05:32 AM
Mike > wrote:
> I thought "cycling forums" (when it works) was little more
> than a web-gateway for those without the access (or knowhow)
> to a news-reader.

It is. Slow as a wet week, full of ads. But it has avatars, so it must
be good.

--
..dt

Mike
June 15th 06, 05:44 AM
gplama wrote:

> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.

Seriously, cyclingforums.com has numerous web-based forums.
The "aus.bicycle" gateway is just one of those. Can't you just
choose not to use it?

Bean Long
June 15th 06, 08:04 AM
Karen Gallagher wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>> Karen Gallagher wrote:

>>> I use a newsreader (Thunderbird, now), and I've successfully filtered
>>> out all the kooks now, so I don't see what the complaint is. Even the
>>> humblest news readers have some crap filter abilities.
>>>
>>> And there are some here that don't have www access at work, I know,
>>> so the forum is not viable for them.
>>>
>>> Karen
>>>
>> Karen,
>>
>> I'm using T-bird too but haven't worked out the filtering for news
>> threads. Can you offer any pointers? I'm getting jack of these kooks!
>>
> Use Message, Create Filter from message, then set your filter. I have
> them set either on name or topic, for example I have 9/11 filtered out
> in the subject, plus anyone's names that feed the trolls. Takes a little
> while to take effect as there are quite a few trolls around at present,
> but it's now working well with seven different filters working.
>
> HTH
>
> Karen

Thanks Karen... Now I've got it!!!

Cheers
--

daveL wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>
>> I'm using T-bird too but haven't worked out the filtering for news
>> threads. Can you offer any pointers? I'm getting jack of these kooks!
>
> Tools->Message filters
>
> This should open a dialog box which allows you to specify what the
> filter applies to (say aus.bicycle) and create a new filter. I'm pretty
> sure you can ignore messages based on the reply to address.
>
> --
> DaveL
Cheers dave

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

dave
June 15th 06, 08:25 AM
TimC wrote:
> On 2006-06-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
>
>>To sum up my thoughts... Grrr.. grrrr
>>grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I'm getting good at dog language.
>

> Hisspit!

Ohhhhhhhhh.

As someone said to me on another forum when I wrote #$%@ (and yes
exactly that) Dont you swear here.

OR in cat Ssssspppppppssssssss

Dave

Euan
June 15th 06, 09:41 AM
dave wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>> On 2006-06-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>>
>>> To sum up my thoughts... Grrr.. grrrr
>>> grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I'm getting good at dog language.
>>
>> Hisspit!
>
> Ohhhhhhhhh.
>
> As someone said to me on another forum when I wrote #$%@ (and yes
> exactly that) Dont you swear here.

By a moderator no less! Quite precious really...
--
Cheers
Euan

rooman
June 15th 06, 09:49 AM
Euan Wrote:
> dave wrote:
> > TimC wrote:
> >> On 2006-06-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
> >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

> language.
> >>
> >> Hisspit!
> >
> > Ohhhhhhhhh.
> >
> > As someone said to me on another forum when I wrote #$%@ (and yes
> > exactly that) Dont you swear here.
>
> By a moderator no less! Quite precious really...
> --
> Cheers
> Euan
'twas touchy and precious, such a sweety...why didnt you YELL back..oh
shhhhhhhhh, no shouting either ....

lets just drink...goats and swine encourage that amongst bugs, bents
and bikes.

--
rooman

gplama
June 15th 06, 10:54 AM
Mike Wrote:

> Seriously, cyclingforums.com has numerous web-based forums.
> The "aus.bicycle" gateway is just one of those. Can't you just
> choose not to use it?

Not many of the BR locals use nigeria.bicycle.. and all they talk about
is running Huffys with no rubber on the rims..

Good to see all the nntp/usenet users ark up about this post... :)

--
gplama

Euan
June 15th 06, 12:01 PM
gplama wrote:
> Mike Wrote:
>> Seriously, cyclingforums.com has numerous web-based forums.
>> The "aus.bicycle" gateway is just one of those. Can't you just
>> choose not to use it?
>
> Not many of the BR locals use nigeria.bicycle.. and all they talk about
> is running Huffys with no rubber on the rims..
>
> Good to see all the nntp/usenet users ark up about this post... :)

So you're a troll then. If that's how you get your rocks off...
--
Cheers
Euan

gplama
June 15th 06, 12:21 PM
Euan Wrote:

> > Good to see all the nntp/usenet users ark up about this post...
> :)
>
> So you're a troll then. If that's how you get your rocks off...
>[/color]

More of a observational jab, note the ":)"... I'm sure you've seen me
around here before?

--
gplama

Euan
June 15th 06, 01:29 PM
gplama wrote:
> Euan Wrote:
>>> Good to see all the nntp/usenet users ark up about this post...
>> :)
>>
>> So you're a troll then. If that's how you get your rocks off...
>>

> More of a observational jab, note the ":)"... I'm sure you've seen me
> around here before?[/color]

Psyche!
--
Cheers
Euan

gplama
June 15th 06, 01:37 PM
Euan Wrote:

> >> So you're a troll then. If that's how you get your rocks off...
> >>

> > More of a observational jab, note the ":)"... I'm sure you've seen
> me
> > around here before?[/color]
>
> Psyche!
>[/color]

arghhhahhahh.. the 'ol reverse troll troll... I'll pay that :)

--
gplama

dave
June 15th 06, 02:32 PM
Euan wrote:
> dave wrote:
>
>> TimC wrote:
>>
>>> On 2006-06-15, gplama (aka Bruce)
>>> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>> Hisspit!
>>

>> Ohhhhhhhhh.
>>
>> As someone said to me on another forum when I wrote #$%@ (and yes
>> exactly that) Dont you swear here.
>

> By a moderator no less! Quite precious really...
\
It was wasnt it? I really might write that plugin that replaces #$%@
with a random swear word :)

Dave

hippy
June 15th 06, 09:15 PM
gplama Wrote:
> Everyone on the NTP networks - time to move on - the 80's are over and
> so is anonymous posting via a public medium.
>
> I'll be the first to back a movement to have either ONE WAY, or NO
> replication from cyclingforums.com to aus.bicycle.

I was actually going to install Thunderbird tonight to see if I could
get a.b via newsgroups again to save the lag that I get with cycfor.
Even with 24Mbit adsl, the post lag and issues with the cycfor server
being "too busy" are a pain over here.
On the flip side, it means I post less and you lot don't have to put up
with near as much ****e! hehe

hippy

--
hippy

flyingdutch
June 15th 06, 09:53 PM
"now there's a name I havnt heard in a long time" (Obi Wan. SW1)

Hey Hip. must go and check out your blog. how's the head?

--
flyingdutch

hippy
June 15th 06, 10:04 PM
flyingdutch Wrote:
> "now there's a name I havnt heard in a long time" (Obi Wan. SW1)
> Hey Hip. must go and check out your blog. how's the head?

I don't have a lot of time for blogging these days. Would you believe
they actually expect work of me at my job!!!??? Man, what a sham!

I'm only on here tonight because I told my girl to stay at home so I
could get some stuff done.

Head is fine as far as no more probs but not fine insofar as I still
have no fscking clue as to what caused it in the first place. Another
MRI set some time late July..

For once in my life here's some cycling content because I probably
won't blog it :)

Commute PB this morning of 30:10. Eleven fscking seconds off a
sub-30min commute. Doh! It'll be that red light I thought about
stopping at :P

hippy
"So, how many goals will Oz beat Brazil by this Sunday?"

--
hippy

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home