PDA

View Full Version : Reflector Rain Capes - Where to Find?

Elisa Francesca Roselli
July 17th 03, 11:35 AM
I would like some kind of outerwear for cycling in the rain. Ideally
this would be something like a hooded poncho, short enough not to get in
the gears but large enough to go over my outerclothes and backpack, in
an extremely garish, dayglow color with reflector patches on all sides.
It should be completely waterproof and windbreaking but sufficiently
breathable not to create a sauna around me.

Alternatively, this could be a great big one-piece overall with a front
zip long enough to step in and out of, with remaining features similar.
Or even a 2-piece rainsuit, large enough to go over my day-clothes
(since this will be for cycling to work and at work I wear long skirt
and Victorian blouse). But this solution is less attractive because it
might have trouble getting over my outerwear and bag.

I've been scouring the Internet for such garments and am surprised to
find that they practically do not exist. Why not? Why is there such a
paucity of designs with reflector features? I have been looking at
industrial reflector rainclothes and finding that they tend to be in
PVC! The rainsuits in Illuminite or Gore-Tex are navy blue or black,
really intelligent for visibility in gloomy weather!

Yet the sites I've been visiting on the subject of safe riding in the
rain all describe the kind of garments I have in mind, and it seems
obvious that there would be a market among cycling commuters for such
things.

Anyone have any pointers? I'm an excellent seamstress, so if even I
could find a source of raw materials - lime-green Gore-tex or Illuminite
by the yard or stitch-on, velcro-on reflector patches, I could fabricate
something myself.

I'd find it hard to believe I'm the first to be having this problem?

Elisa Roselli
Paris, France

Jean-Pierre Jacquot
July 17th 03, 03:18 PM
In article >,
Elisa Francesca Roselli
> wrote:

> I would like some kind of outerwear for cycling in the rain. Ideally
> this would be something like a hooded poncho, short enough not to get in
> the gears but large enough to go over my outerclothes and backpack, in
> an extremely garish, dayglow color with reflector patches on all sides.
> It should be completely waterproof and windbreaking but sufficiently
> breathable not to create a sauna around me.
[...]
> I'd find it hard to believe I'm the first to be having this problem?

Basically, you're imagining a problem where there is none; so, no
wonder you can't find what you're looking for.

Jeantex is selling a yellow rain cap which will do quite well.
You can find it in general sport store (Go-Sport (for sure)
or Decathlon (most lokely)) and in bike shops.

Now, for the details :
- with a cape, there is absoletuly no need for breathable fabric.
In fact, you want the most waterproof possible fabric.
By design, air circulates very well as the bottom is totally open.
Breathable fabric do not work for cyclists: we generate too much
heat and sweat.

- for the reflectors. There is no magic in them! Contrary to popular
belief, "invisible cyclists" are both a myth and an excuse for
criminal motorists to get away. Covering yourself in reflective tape
will not make you more visible or safe. The most important thing is to
stand where motorists look: on the road, well into the lane
(1m off the gutter is a good rule of thumb).
The second important thing is an active front light. The third one
is an active back light (of the steady kind). Remember that most
of the dangers will come from the front of you, not from the back.

My personal rain cape is 25 year old, dark grey, bougth before
reflectite (or even light:-) was invented. I use it to commute when it
rains or snows, and I've never been hit.

Jean-Pierre
Nancy, France too:-)

Karen M.
July 17th 03, 04:36 PM
Elisa wrote:
> I would like some kind of outerwear for cycling in the rain. Ideally
> this would be something like a hooded poncho, short enough not to get in
> the gears but large enough to go over my outerclothes and backpack, in
> an extremely garish, dayglow color with reflector patches on all sides.
> It should be completely waterproof and windbreaking but sufficiently
> breathable not to create a sauna around me.
>
> Alternatively, this could be a great big one-piece overall with a front
> zip long enough to step in and out of, with remaining features similar.
> Or even a 2-piece rainsuit, large enough to go over my day-clothes
> (since this will be for cycling to work and at work I wear long skirt
> and Victorian blouse). But this solution is less attractive because it
> might have trouble getting over my outerwear and bag.
>
> I've been scouring the Internet for such garments and am surprised to
> find that they practically do not exist. Why not? Why is there such a
> paucity of designs with reflector features? I have been looking at
> industrial reflector rainclothes and finding that they tend to be in
> PVC! The rainsuits in Illuminite or Gore-Tex are navy blue or black,
> really intelligent for visibility in gloomy weather!
>
> Yet the sites I've been visiting on the subject of safe riding in the
> rain all describe the kind of garments I have in mind, and it seems
> obvious that there would be a market among cycling commuters for such
> things.
>
> Anyone have any pointers? I'm an excellent seamstress, so if even I
> could find a source of raw materials - lime-green Gore-tex or Illuminite
> by the yard or stitch-on, velcro-on reflector patches, I could fabricate
> something myself.
>
> I'd find it hard to believe I'm the first to be having this problem?
>
> Elisa Roselli
> Paris, France

Hey Elisa--
I'm crossposting this query to my other favorite NG. Someone there
will provide a source of high-vis rainwear fabric within hours.
Add your own reflector stripes. I found an fabulous selection
on-line and now have enough sew-on Reflexite (r)(tm) to trim all my
outerwear, each bike bag, my riding partner nieces' outerwear, and a
couple of car covers.
Yes, it is depressing that manufacturers believe we should wear
dark colored outerwear. I jazz mine up, even the winter coats that get
worn only for auto travel. (Don't want to get hit in a parking lot by
some cretin juggling a fast food order and a cell phone.)

HTH
--Karen M.

Penny S.
July 17th 03, 05:23 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli scribbled :
> "Penny S." wrote:
>
>> if you visit my tips for gear making site
>> www.specialtyoutdoors.com/tips.htm you will find a full list of
>> outdoors fabrics retailers for the WORLD ( Europe, Canada, US)
>> where you can get more fabircs that you ever dreamed of, plus some
>> cycling patterns.
>
> Neat! Thanks for the pointer. We might end up having another hobby in
> common (apart from cycling : ) )
>
> Elisa Roselli
> Ile de France

here's just some of the cycle gear I have made
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pgallery.htm
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/flowerjersey.jpg
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/wildjerseyf.jpg

Penny S

--
me and my bike:
www.specialtyoutdoors.com/biking.htm

J. Bruce Fields
July 17th 03, 05:35 PM
In article >,
Elisa Francesca Roselli >
wrote:
>I would like some kind of outerwear for cycling in the rain. Ideally
>this would be something like a hooded poncho, short enough not to get in
>the gears but large enough to go over my outerclothes and backpack, in
>an extremely garish, dayglow color with reflector patches on all sides.
>It should be completely waterproof and windbreaking but sufficiently
>breathable not to create a sauna around me.

A bicycle cape for $30:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=226&prrfnbr=10130

I don't think the material is anything particularly breathable, but it's
designed to stay open at the bottom and keep you ventilated that way.
I've never used this of thing, but people who have seem to like it. My
typical ride being less than 15 minutes, I avoid carrying around
clothing that seems overly bike-specific, so I use a jacket like this:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=14205199&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

Bright obnoxious yellow color, no hood (my head can get kinda wet but so
far it hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it). No gore-tex
or anything, but it has underarm vents and such. Works OK. I've seen a
lot of people claim that vents and such are more important than
breathable material for cyclists, but never having put up the money for
any of those gold-plated breathable materials, I wouldn't know.

I'm skeptical of hoods as I don't want something that'd obstruct my
side-to-side vision, but maybe someone with a hood can explain how they
work around that problem.

--b.

Luigi de Guzman
July 17th 03, 06:22 PM
Jean-Pierre Jacquot > wrote in message >...

> - for the reflectors. There is no magic in them! Contrary to popular
> belief, "invisible cyclists" are both a myth and an excuse for
> criminal motorists to get away. Covering yourself in reflective tape
> will not make you more visible or safe. The most important thing is to
> stand where motorists look: on the road, well into the lane
> (1m off the gutter is a good rule of thumb).
> The second important thing is an active front light. The third one
> is an active back light (of the steady kind). Remember that most
> of the dangers will come from the front of you, not from the back.

Although lighting yourself up like a christmas tree can't hurt.
Should the unfortunate ever happen, you can then show the judge what
you were wearing at the time--thereby giving a motorist *no chance* of
escape from justice.

-Luigi
dum spiro, spero

Tom Keats
July 17th 03, 07:06 PM
In article >,
Elisa Francesca Roselli > writes:

> Anyone have any pointers?

All kinds of outdoor clothing patterns & fabrics:
http://www.justmakeit.com

> I'm an excellent seamstress,

How I envy your sewing prowess :-) That's one skill I've
never been able to acquire.

> so if even I
> could find a source of raw materials - lime-green Gore-tex or Illuminite
> by the yard or stitch-on, velcro-on reflector patches, I could fabricate
> something myself.
>
> I'd find it hard to believe I'm the first to be having this problem?

I'm using a cycling rain cape that I obtained locally. It has
a hood (it stuffs into a pocket in the collar), but I never use
it. Hoods obscure sideways vision, and funnel rain right into
one's face. If tightened with a drawstring, they're restrictive,
hot, and they look funny. So I use a separate helmet cover with
a flap down the back. To this day I haven't found anything that
really keeps hair "nice" after a ride of any length in the rain.

The rain cape itself is amply vented in the back, and has an
inner, "draw string" sort of belt -- it's stitched to the back,
and ties around the waist (inside the cape). Thumb loops on
inside of the front nap can be hooked around one's thumbs, or
on the brake levers. Both the inside belt and the thumb loops
help keep the cape from getting wind-blown into one's face. An
occasional application of ScotchGard (the green label version)
keeps it more-or-less rainproof.

If you can't find a real cycling rain cape, an army surplus rain
poncho might be adaptable, with the thumb loops and inner belt
thing added on, and a vent cut across the back where the shoulder
blades would be.

Rain capes are nice & cool, cheap, and very portable. They also
helps keep much of the bike cleaner than it would otherwise be
in the rain.

On the downside, they inhibit hand signals, catch headwinds,
make mounting/dismounting one's bike a little awkward, and
can be a bit of a nuisance if going into a shop -- if left on,
they get in the way when reaching for stuff, and it makes one
look like a shoplifter. If taken off, you're stuck with a wet,
drippy sheet of plastic draped over your arm, and then you've
got to put this wet thing back on for the return trip.

But they're well worth their price.

cheers,
Tom