PDA

View Full Version : Reposted without permission

TimC
June 16th 06, 07:59 AM
from Paul Ambry on bicigaga:

_Postcard From New York_

A dense, packed city where millions of people both live and work in an
area only a few kilometres wide and about 20 kilometres long. It's
built on dead flat land with a grid of streets that run north/south and
east/west. There are lots of streets in New York - some of the blocks
are only one building in width. It's so easy to nagivate.

You'd think it would be an ideal place to encourage cycling. But no,
not a single bike lane and not a single bike path. I reckon you'd need
to be slightly crazy to ride on the roads here. Nonetheless, there are
a few commuters, and rather suprisingly, every other commuter rides a
fixie - as do the majority of the couriers (there's even a bike shop -
Trackstar - which sells and services fixies exclusively). Of course,
the couriers don't have brakes. And most of them don't wear helmets.
They way they ride is consistent with practice across the world. That
is to say, like organ donors on two wheels. New York is infamous in
this regard as it runs an annual courier race. There's an article on
fixed.org.au by an Australian rider (known as 'track cnut' - you may
have seen him on the streets in Melbourne) who seems to win it more
often than not. Why New Yorkers love fixies I cannot say, especially
given there's only 1 velodrome for the entire city - not on the island
of Manhattan and an outside one at that (we have 11 in metropolitan
Melbourne - two of them indoors).

New York does have the ecquivalent of Beach Road, albeit a pale
shadow. It's the closed-to-traffic road around Central Park which I
guess is about 8 to 10 kilometres long. Lads and ladies ride roadbikes
in full club/team regalia, and curiosly, these 'serious' rides all wear
helmets. There are no packs though. The biggest group was about six
in strength.

It is such a shame the city doesn't accomodate cycling - the weather is
quite superb (at this time of the year - I think it would be hideous in
the depths of winter with ice and snow on the ground). I just couldn't
see myself living on Manhattan island, having to content myself with
small fixes around Central Park. How fortunate we are in Melbourne.
May God bless Beach Road, the Boulie, the velodromes, the Dandenongs,
King Lake and the hundreds (thousands?) of kilometres of bikes tracks
and bikes lanes - all accessible by riding from your shed ('studio')
door. And may God bless BV (with three huzzas to 'our man' on the
Board, Dutchie).

And three hazzahs to Melbourne!

--
TimC
"The thing I love most about deadlines is the wonderful WHOOSHing sound

Shane Stanley
June 16th 06, 08:56 AM
In article
>,
TimC > quoted someone:

> You'd think it would be an ideal place to encourage cycling. But no,
> not a single bike lane and not a single bike path.

What nonsense. There are bike lanes on several of the main streets in
Manhattan. There are bike lanes on large stretches of Broadway, First
Avenue and Sixth Avenue, for example, and advisory on-road routes on
lots of other roads, as well. There's a multi-use Greenway right around
Manhattan Island. Go here <http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bike/home.shtml> and download the map for yourself. It even shows where 39 bike shops
are located in Manhattan; I wonder how they pay the rent if no-one rides.

> I reckon you'd need to be slightly crazy to ride on the roads here.

Don't we hear that often enough about Melbourne/Sydney/Wherever?
(Although it might explain why so many NY cyclists ride against the
traffic in one-way streets.)

> Nonetheless, there are a few commuters, and rather suprisingly, every
> other commuter rides a fixie

Most that I saw were riding either mountain bikes or old fashioned
"city" bikes. More fixies than here, but not huge numbers.

> Why New Yorkers love fixies I cannot say

Hint: it's flat.

> especially
> given there's only 1 velodrome for the entire city - not on the island
> of Manhattan and an outside one at that

I'm sure you're welcome to build one in Manhattan. Just find a nice
empty block of land. Your correspondent might also check out where the
Madison got its name.

> It is such a shame the city doesn't accomodate cycling

It's not perfect, but it's not bad either. In fact, a while back it was
rated number 3 city in the US for cyclists. I rode there recently, and I
felt as safe as anywhere in Melbourne, if not safer. The drivers seem to
know what they're doing, and are predictable. I was followed by a bus
for about a block at one stage, and there was no hint of impatience or
getting too close. Taxis gave me room on the road.

And once a year they hold a ride a bit like the old Great Melbourne
Ride. Except they do full road closures -- right through the middle of
Manhattan and for about 70kms, including part of one of the interstate
highways. Try doing that here.

--
Shane Stanley

Donga
June 16th 06, 12:12 PM
Shane Stanley wrote:
> It's (NYC) not perfect, but it's not bad either. In fact, a while back it was
> rated number 3 city in the US for cyclists. I rode there recently, and I
> felt as safe as anywhere in Melbourne, if not safer. The drivers seem to
> know what they're doing, and are predictable. I was followed by a bus
> for about a block at one stage, and there was no hint of impatience or
> getting too close. Taxis gave me room on the road.

Did you know honking is banned and heavily policed in NYC now? I
thought of honking as part of NYC traffic, but on visiting in 2004
barely heard a horn; was told by the concierge about the ban.

Hmmm, WMP just started playing Queen's "I want to ride my bicycle" WTF?
It's cold and dark outside but I'm getting edgy.

donga

Shane Stanley
June 16th 06, 12:43 PM
In article . com>,
"Donga" > wrote:

> Did you know honking is banned and heavily policed in NYC now? I
> thought of honking as part of NYC traffic, but on visiting in 2004
> barely heard a horn; was told by the concierge about the ban.

Yes, they have big signs about it -- but it still happens. Whatever it
is that turns everyone in NYC into a jaywalker seems contagious. I
couldn't believe some of the things I saw happen on two wheels.

--
Shane Stanley

hippy
June 18th 06, 12:38 AM
Shane Stanley Wrote:

> Yes, they have big signs about it -- but it still happens. Whatever it
> is that turns everyone in NYC into a jaywalker seems contagious. I
> couldn't believe some of the things I saw happen on two wheels.

London peds are total sheep.. just with less brains than real sheep.
I've seen more close calls than I can count and saw a scooter (nutters)
hit a ped on Oxford St a month or two back. Both ok - I had to laugh at
the idiots.

A movie I am trying to track down, may have NY courier content and
nastiness:
http://www.petersutherland.net/Pedal.mov

hippy

--