PDA

View Full Version : hallucination time

Callistus Valerius
June 18th 06, 11:48 AM
This is the interesting part of RAAM. This is when the riders enter the
halluciation zone. Wild halluciations, on the road, make for a very
interesting voyage. Alice in Wonderland time.
-------------
Traditional rider Fabio Biasiolo has maintained his lead in the Solo
Traditional division of RAAM across Eastern Kansas, all of Missouri, and the
mighty Mississippi River where it’s been said the real race begins. By the
night of Saturday, 17 June, Biasiolo had led for over 550 miles since Mount
Vernon, KS, taking 10 time stations across America.

Biasiolo's drive is fueled as much as anything else by thoughts thoughts
that the new Enduro division of RAAM is not the RAAM he has known and loved
over the past ten years, and before the race he told reporter Danny Chew
that before the start his goal was to arrive in Atlantic City before the
first Enduro rider.

At this point in the race it looks as though Biasiolo might hit attain that
goal, however he has established his lead by forgoing sleep. With the most
punishing 1,000 miles of racing still ahead, he may need to increase his
sleep substantially over the coming two days. This would give the leading
Enduro riders - Boyer and Baloh - a chance to catch him before the finish.
----------------
I'm rooting for the Enduro, RAAM needs some structure. Fabio thinks more
rules and structure suck, but I think it adds, doesn't detract.
-----------------
Another rider hit by a car-----

Swiss DAMOVO rider Daniel Maegerle was involved in an accident with a
vehicle outside of Time Station 35. He was injured in the accident and
transported to a local hospital. The rider is now in route to a St. Louis
hospital for further treatment. The Swiss DAMOVO team has decided to leave
the race and are traveling to the hospital with the injured rider.
-------------------

Ron Ruff
June 18th 06, 05:15 PM
Callistus Valerius wrote:
> I'm rooting for the Enduro, RAAM needs some structure. Fabio thinks more
> rules and structure suck, but I think it adds, doesn't detract.

I agree... but would like to see double the off-the-bike time. <4hrs
per day is still crazy... let'm get a normal amount of sleep at least.

There is still the "traditional" category for the extreme sleep
deprivation freaks.

June 18th 06, 07:16 PM
Ron Ruff wrote:
> Callistus Valerius wrote:
> > I'm rooting for the Enduro, RAAM needs some structure. Fabio thinks more
> > rules and structure suck, but I think it adds, doesn't detract.
>
> I agree... but would like to see double the off-the-bike time. <4hrs
> per day is still crazy... let'm get a normal amount of sleep at least.
>
> There is still the "traditional" category for the extreme sleep
> deprivation freaks.

I agree. The Enduro class seems like some sort of weird half-measure.
If stops are mandated, make them long enough to have a point. People
who want to go the other way can always go traditional, as you say.

Joseph

Curtis L. Russell
June 19th 06, 03:07 PM
On 18 Jun 2006 11:16:57 -0700, wrote:

>I agree. The Enduro class seems like some sort of weird half-measure.
>If stops are mandated, make them long enough to have a point. People
>who want to go the other way can always go traditional, as you say.

The Livedrunk (c) foundation is sponsoring a new class next year, as
soon as we have another ten or so bars signed up. There will be both
mandatory sleep time AND mandatory bar time. We're not really keeping
time and frankly, unless the wife calls, some of us don't plan to
finish until 2008. We would also like to disclaim any photos taken in
advance.

Unfortunately, we seem to have more volunteers for the support crew
than for actual competitors. This may be a problem; then, again, maybe
not.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

RonSonic
June 21st 06, 04:53 AM
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:07:40 -0400, Curtis L. Russell >
wrote:

>On 18 Jun 2006 11:16:57 -0700, wrote:
>
>>I agree. The Enduro class seems like some sort of weird half-measure.
>>If stops are mandated, make them long enough to have a point. People
>>who want to go the other way can always go traditional, as you say.
>
>The Livedrunk (c) foundation is sponsoring a new class next year, as
>soon as we have another ten or so bars signed up. There will be both
>mandatory sleep time AND mandatory bar time. We're not really keeping
>time and frankly, unless the wife calls, some of us don't plan to
>finish until 2008. We would also like to disclaim any photos taken in
>advance.
>
>Unfortunately, we seem to have more volunteers for the support crew
>than for actual competitors. This may be a problem; then, again, maybe
>not.

Oh, I'll ride with those rules. Four hours a day minimum bar time plus mandatory
sleep. I'm there.

Ron

Michael Press
June 21st 06, 06:43 AM
In article >,
RonSonic > wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:07:40 -0400, Curtis L. Russell >
> wrote:
>
> >On 18 Jun 2006 11:16:57 -0700, wrote:
> >
> >>I agree. The Enduro class seems like some sort of weird half-measure.
> >>If stops are mandated, make them long enough to have a point. People
> >>who want to go the other way can always go traditional, as you say.
> >
> >The Livedrunk (c) foundation is sponsoring a new class next year, as
> >soon as we have another ten or so bars signed up. There will be both
> >mandatory sleep time AND mandatory bar time. We're not really keeping
> >time and frankly, unless the wife calls, some of us don't plan to
> >finish until 2008. We would also like to disclaim any photos taken in
> >advance.
> >
> >Unfortunately, we seem to have more volunteers for the support crew
> >than for actual competitors. This may be a problem; then, again, maybe
> >not.
>
> Oh, I'll ride with those rules. Four hours a day minimum bar time plus mandatory
> sleep. I'm there.

No sleeping on the bars. Neck braces are recommended.

<http://www.kiefer-rocks.com/photos/large_moviestills/freeway/14.jpg>

--
Michael Press

Howard Kveck