PDA

View Full Version : No tapping for a couple weeks

billyroll
June 19th 06, 09:02 PM
....for the dude in red.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/STEVEC/crash/

Pedro
June 19th 06, 09:24 PM
I don't see why not. His saddle has a nice "pressure relieving"
cut-out.

billyroll wrote:
> ...for the dude in red.
>
> http://www.sportsshooter.com/STEVEC/crash/

Michael Press
June 20th 06, 12:51 AM
In article
m>,
"billyroll" > wrote:

> ...for the dude in red.
>
> http://www.sportsshooter.com/STEVEC/crash/

Hay bales are dangerous. Corners need to be demarcated
with steel spikes to keep the freds off the right of way.

--
Michael Press

Donald Munro
June 20th 06, 08:47 AM
Michael Press wrote:
> Hay bales are dangerous. Corners need to be demarcated
> with steel spikes to keep the freds off the right of way.

Tell that to the livedrunk(tm) CEO.

Ryan Cousineau
June 20th 06, 09:28 PM
In article >,
Donald Munro > wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > Hay bales are dangerous. Corners need to be demarcated
> > with steel spikes to keep the freds off the right of way.
>
> Tell that to the livedrunk(tm) CEO.

Actually, I did a race this weekend in which haybales may have been
responsible for an accident. One of the women crashed in a tight corner
with a downhill approach, possibly because hay from the bales was strewn
through the corner.

I have a teammate who earned the nickname "Haybale" last year, thanks to
an epic, unforced dump into said safety object.

After the Spring races this year, though, he got a new nickname after a
new crash: Treadmark.

On his legs,

Michael Press
June 20th 06, 10:25 PM
In article
Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> In article >,
> Donald Munro > wrote:
>
> > Michael Press wrote:
> > > Hay bales are dangerous. Corners need to be demarcated
> > > with steel spikes to keep the freds off the right of way.
> >
> > Tell that to the livedrunk(tm) CEO.
>
> Actually, I did a race this weekend in which haybales may have been
> responsible for an accident. One of the women crashed in a tight corner
> with a downhill approach, possibly because hay from the bales was strewn
> through the corner.
>
> I have a teammate who earned the nickname "Haybale" last year, thanks to
> an epic, unforced dump into said safety object.
>
> After the Spring races this year, though, he got a new nickname after a
> new crash: Treadmark.
>
> On his legs,

As we saw on the sequence of photographs, the hay bales
was directly responsible for a face plant by a rider who
negotiated the corner in good order.

--
Michael Press

June 20th 06, 10:46 PM
Michael Press wrote:
> Ryan Cousineau > wrote:

> > Actually, I did a race this weekend in which haybales may have been
> > responsible for an accident. One of the women crashed in a tight corner
> > with a downhill approach, possibly because hay from the bales was strewn
> > through the corner.
> >
> > I have a teammate who earned the nickname "Haybale" last year, thanks to
> > an epic, unforced dump into said safety object.

> As we saw on the sequence of photographs, the hay bales
> was directly responsible for a face plant by a rider who
> negotiated the corner in good order.

Sometimes you get the haybale, sometimes the haybale gets you.

It's hard to tell from that sequence of photos because you'd really
like to see what happened before the first one. But it looks to me
like the rider exited the corner too wide and hit the haybale. I don't
know if the impact or his braking caused the rear of his bike to
swing around. It's possible if the haybale were not there, that he
could have simply run off the course over the curb and taken out
the photographer instead. I'm sure the other riders behind him
would have preferred that.

However, that doesn't make it the haybale's fault. Riders are
responsible for exiting corners so as not to hit stuff: none of the
other guys are on a haybale-interception trajectory. Also,
obviously I have never seen the course, but one doesn't always
put bales on every corner. Often the bales are there because
there is a lightpole, barricade, planter or god-knows-what.
You'd rather have riders who run out of pavement smack
into a haybale than headfirst into a mailbox.

If we do nothing, the haybales win,
Ben

Robert Chung
June 20th 06, 11:17 PM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> thanks to
> an epic, unforced dump into said safety object.

Dave Bailey once posted to rbr about an epic unforced dump.

Michael Press
June 21st 06, 12:38 AM
In article
. com>,
" > wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> > Ryan Cousineau > wrote:
>
> > > Actually, I did a race this weekend in which haybales may have been
> > > responsible for an accident. One of the women crashed in a tight corner
> > > with a downhill approach, possibly because hay from the bales was strewn
> > > through the corner.
> > >
> > > I have a teammate who earned the nickname "Haybale" last year, thanks to
> > > an epic, unforced dump into said safety object.
>
> > As we saw on the sequence of photographs, the hay bales
> > was directly responsible for a face plant by a rider who
> > negotiated the corner in good order.
>
> Sometimes you get the haybale, sometimes the haybale gets you.
>
> It's hard to tell from that sequence of photos because you'd really
> like to see what happened before the first one. But it looks to me
> like the rider exited the corner too wide and hit the haybale. I don't
> know if the impact or his braking caused the rear of his bike to
> swing around. It's possible if the haybale were not there, that he
> could have simply run off the course over the curb and taken out
> the photographer instead. I'm sure the other riders behind him
> would have preferred that.
>
> However, that doesn't make it the haybale's fault. Riders are
> responsible for exiting corners so as not to hit stuff: none of the
> other guys are on a haybale-interception trajectory. Also,
> obviously I have never seen the course, but one doesn't always
> put bales on every corner. Often the bales are there because
> there is a lightpole, barricade, planter or god-knows-what.
> You'd rather have riders who run out of pavement smack
> into a haybale than headfirst into a mailbox.
>
> If we do nothing, the haybales win,

The rider in the red jersey did a face plant even though
he exited the corner in good order. Tapioca brain made
dog's breakfast of that corner and got other people hurt.
That is why I advocate increasing the individual risk of
missing a corner.

--
Michael Press

Donald Munro
June 21st 06, 08:28 AM
Michael Press wrote:
> That is why I advocate increasing the individual risk of
> missing a corner.

If you wear a helmet you'll be OK.

John Forrest Tomlinson
June 21st 06, 10:48 AM
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:28:53 +0200, Donald Munro
> wrote:

>Michael Press wrote:
>> That is why I advocate increasing the individual risk of
>> missing a corner.
>
>If you wear a helmet you'll be OK.

I got clocked in the head by a baseball just before a bike race this
Sunday. No helmet. I'm lucky to be alive! But my head hurt. Should
be no typing for a week, but I can't stay away from RBR....

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Donald Munro
June 21st 06, 02:09 PM

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> I got clocked in the head by a baseball just before a bike race this
> Sunday. No helmet. I'm lucky to be alive! But my head hurt. Should
> be no typing for a week, but I can't stay away from RBR....

Don't worry, being knocked silly will improve your rbr posts.

Curtis L. Russell
June 21st 06, 03:31 PM
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 23:38:21 GMT, Michael Press > wrote:

>The rider in the red jersey did a face plant even though
>he exited the corner in good order. Tapioca brain made
>dog's breakfast of that corner and got other people hurt.
>That is why I advocate increasing the individual risk of
>missing a corner.

Yellow tape - transfer the liability, but none of the excitement. If
God didn't want excitement, he\she\whatever wouldn't have put all
those fire hydrants and light poles around the course.

Curtis L. Russell
Invoking God is the first resort of the lazy. We never wait to find
out what the last resort is.
Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell
June 21st 06, 03:32 PM
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:28:53 +0200, Donald Munro
> wrote:

>Michael Press wrote:
>> That is why I advocate increasing the individual risk of
>> missing a corner.
>
>If you wear a helmet you'll be OK.

In this example, its called a 'cup'. And that should turn this into a
chafing thread soon enough.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...