PDA

View Full Version : A4 Closure & Avon Cycleway

Danny Colyer
June 19th 06, 09:20 PM
The A4 through Saltford (between Bath and Bristol) is to be closed for 9
weeks from 17/07/06. Some information is available at the following sites:
<http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/transportandroads/roadclosuresandworks/a4saltford.htm>

<http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/10787.aspx>

Cyclists planning rides in the area should be aware that one of the
effects of the closure will be to prevent the Avon Cycleway (Regional
Route 10) from being ridden in an anticlockwise direction.

After hassling the Highways Agency for information, I have been sent a
map confirming that Manor Road and Lower Fields Lane will be restricted
to one-way traffic during the period of closure. Those who know the
area will appreciate that this restriction makes sense, but it will be a
PITA when planning rides. I've uploaded a copy of the map here:
<http://www.colyer.plus.com/z-A4.jpg>
(0.97MB)

(If you choose to publicise this map further, please set up a mirror if
at all possible - I don't know whether there's a download limit on my
webspace).

The orange arrows labelled (2) run along Lower Fields Lane, which is
part of the Avon Cycleway. Manor Road from the A4 to Lower Fields Lane
is also part of the Avon Cycleway. Middlepiece Lane, which will be
closed completely, is also part of route 10. Riders planning to cycle
in a clockwise direction will need to take an alternative route along
Gypsy Lane and Burnett Hill.

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

Paul Boyd
June 19th 06, 09:30 PM
On 19/06/2006 21:20, Danny Colyer said,
> The A4 through Saltford (between Bath and Bristol) is to be closed for 9
> weeks from 17/07/06.

Blimey - that looks like fun!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Danny Colyer
June 20th 06, 12:02 AM
Paul Boyd wrote:
> Blimey - that looks like fun!

Yup. The shopkeepers and publicans in the village are understandably
upset about it, but the work has to be done.

Hopefully the closures won't actually affect me at all. It's not
possible to reach my office by road without either travelling along the
closed section of the A4 or travelling North along Manor Road (which
will be one way, southbound only, while the work is going on). We've
all been given passes to allow us access on the A4, but as I travel to
work along the cyclepath the chances of my needing my pass are slim.

I've done a few after-work rides recently that start off along the Avon
Cycleway (including my new favourite ride), but all in the direction
that the works will permit. As it happens, I was planning to ride the
entire route anticlockwise this summer, which would be prevented by the
road closures. Fortunately, I was planning to do it a couple of weeks
before the work actually starts :-)

Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>

Simon Brooke
June 21st 06, 07:58 AM
in message >, Danny
Colyer ') wrote:

> We've
> all been given passes to allow us access on the A4, but as I travel to
> work along the cyclepath the chances of my needing my pass are slim.

You're rich! You're rich! Imagine what it would fetch on eBay, with all
those motons who are incapable of walking twenty yards!

...but have you *seen* the size of the world wide spider?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home