PDA

View Full Version : No overall GC. Just Team GC.

June 23rd 06, 11:14 PM
Today, on cyclingnews.com, some guy in Britain wrote an interesting
letter about how to reduce the use of EPO. One point caught my eye:

"2. Squads in stage races to be made up of 12 riders... only six to
ride on any one day...so one day on, one day off. It would cut the
pressure to take recovery drugs."

I like this idea. I know it would be horribly unpopular, as no one man
would ever again get to be the winner of the Tour. But if our
non-cyclist spouses and friends are to actually believe us when we say
cycling is a team sport, perhaps we need to do away with individual
winners of stage races. The journalists can all vote for an "MVP", and
you can still have KOM and points jerseys. Real "strategy" would be
brought back into the tour again, as coaches would need to make
decisions about how to utilize them teams in the most effective manner
possible.

Of course, we'd still have doped-up teams, and that guy's suggestion
would do nothing to solve the problem he was commenting on, but I like
the thinking.

MMan
June 24th 06, 12:34 AM
wrote:
> Today, on cyclingnews.com, some guy in Britain wrote an interesting
> letter about how to reduce the use of EPO. One point caught my eye:
>
> "2. Squads in stage races to be made up of 12 riders... only six to
> ride on any one day...so one day on, one day off. It would cut the
> pressure to take recovery drugs."

How about let's declare the Lanterne Rouge to be the winner.

Performance-enhancing drugs would then be counter-productive.

Tom Kunich
June 24th 06, 02:05 AM
"MMan" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> wrote:
>> Today, on cyclingnews.com, some guy in Britain wrote an interesting
>> letter about how to reduce the use of EPO. One point caught my eye:
>>
>> "2. Squads in stage races to be made up of 12 riders... only six to
>> ride on any one day...so one day on, one day off. It would cut the
>> pressure to take recovery drugs."
>>

> How about let's declare the Lanterne Rouge to be the winner.
>
> Performance-enhancing drugs would then be counter-productive.

Not if you read photoshopper.

Donald Munro
June 24th 06, 08:43 AM
MMan wrote:
> How about let's declare the Lanterne Rouge to be the winner.

That would have been much more interesting than the GC race in many
recent TDF's (and that includes the Indurain era as well).

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home