PDA

View Full Version : CAS Ruling

Bill C
June 29th 06, 08:15 PM
This should put a major kink into booting everyone unless they get
some blood matches pretty fast:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun29news3
CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to
participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the
matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on
the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.

Looks like CAS is going for the fair and just approach. Good for them!
I can see this also being interpreted as a shot across the bow in the
individual riders cases also.
Bill C

June 29th 06, 08:20 PM
I think we all knew McQuaid made his statement knowing full-well that
the CAS would nix this. That way, he gets to appear as being anti-dope,
and no one gets penalized. Nice strategy!

Bill C wrote:
> This should put a major kink into booting everyone unless they get
> some blood matches pretty fast:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun29news3
> CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to
> participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the
> matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on
> the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.
>
> Looks like CAS is going for the fair and just approach. Good for them!
> I can see this also being interpreted as a shot across the bow in the
> individual riders cases also.
> Bill C

B. Lafferty
June 29th 06, 09:29 PM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This should put a major kink into booting everyone unless they get
> some blood matches pretty fast:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun29news3
> CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to
> participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the
> matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on
> the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.
>
> Looks like CAS is going for the fair and just approach. Good for them!
> I can see this also being interpreted as a shot across the bow in the
> individual riders cases also.
> Bill C

CAS took the position that they could not act on press reports. When the
police file is made public tomorrow, that may change things for a number of
parties.

Bill C
June 30th 06, 02:23 AM
B. Lafferty wrote:
> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > This should put a major kink into booting everyone unless they get
> > some blood matches pretty fast:
> >
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun29news3
> > CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to
> > participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the
> > matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on
> > the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.
> >
> > Looks like CAS is going for the fair and just approach. Good for them!
> > I can see this also being interpreted as a shot across the bow in the
> > individual riders cases also.
> > Bill C
> >
> CAS took the position that they could not act on press reports. When the
> police file is made public tomorrow, that may change things for a number of
> parties.

So allegations, without charges being filed, are enough to justly,
brutally, penalize someone? Where do I sign up to make some against
people I don't like?
Worked well for the LAPD a while ago. If they want to file charges and
hold them in pre-arraignment custody then I'm fine with that.
Being able to destroy peoples careers on allegations was bull**** when
McCarthy did it. It was bull**** when we stripped US citizens of their
jobs and properties during WW2, and it would be bull**** now for
something that's not even vaguely a threat.
Just because it has been done, and can be done doesn't make it right!
Bill C

B. Lafferty
June 30th 06, 03:25 AM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> B. Lafferty wrote:
>> "Bill C" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > This should put a major kink into booting everyone unless they get
>> > some blood matches pretty fast:
>> >
>> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun29news3
>> > CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to
>> > participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the
>> > matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on
>> > the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.
>> >
>> > Looks like CAS is going for the fair and just approach. Good for them!
>> > I can see this also being interpreted as a shot across the bow in the
>> > individual riders cases also.
>> > Bill C
>> >
>> CAS took the position that they could not act on press reports. When the
>> police file is made public tomorrow, that may change things for a number
>> of
>> parties.
>
> So allegations, without charges being filed, are enough to justly,
> brutally, penalize someone? Where do I sign up to make some against
> people I don't like?

No. CAS made the correct decision, IMO. Tomorrow, with the release of the
Spanish dossier, we'll have a completely different situation.

> Worked well for the LAPD a while ago. If they want to file charges and
> hold them in pre-arraignment custody then I'm fine with that.
> Being able to destroy peoples careers on allegations was bull**** when
> McCarthy did it. It was bull**** when we stripped US citizens of their
> jobs and properties during WW2, and it would be bull**** now for
> something that's not even vaguely a threat.
> Just because it has been done, and can be done doesn't make it right!
> Bill C

Bill C
June 30th 06, 03:32 AM
B. Lafferty wrote:
> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > B. Lafferty wrote:
> >> "Bill C" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

> >> CAS took the position that they could not act on press reports. When the
> >> police file is made public tomorrow, that may change things for a number
> >> of
> >> parties.
> >
> > So allegations, without charges being filed, are enough to justly,
> > brutally, penalize someone? Where do I sign up to make some against
> > people I don't like?
>
> No. CAS made the correct decision, IMO. Tomorrow, with the release of the
> Spanish dossier, we'll have a completely different situation.
>
> > Worked well for the LAPD a while ago. If they want to file charges and
> > hold them in pre-arraignment custody then I'm fine with that.
> > Being able to destroy peoples careers on allegations was bull**** when
> > McCarthy did it. It was bull**** when we stripped US citizens of their
> > jobs and properties during WW2, and it would be bull**** now for
> > something that's not even vaguely a threat.
> > Just because it has been done, and can be done doesn't make it right!
> > Bill C

How does leaked allegations differ from official allegations? They are
still allegations with nothing proven.
I seem to be the flaming liberal around here. That's scary.
Bill C

RonSonic
June 30th 06, 04:58 AM
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:29:18 GMT, "B. Lafferty" > wrote:

>"Bill C" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>> This should put a major kink into booting everyone unless they get
>> some blood matches pretty fast:
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun29news3
>> CAS ruled that the team of Alexandre Vinokourov will be able to
>> participate in the race. Belgian judge Guido de Croock decided the
>> matter, basing his sentence on the fact that no official information on
>> the team's links to the doping network had yet been revealed.
>>
>> Looks like CAS is going for the fair and just approach. Good for them!
>> I can see this also being interpreted as a shot across the bow in the
>> individual riders cases also.
>> Bill C
>>
>CAS took the position that they could not act on press reports. When the
>police file is made public tomorrow, that may change things for a number of
>parties.

And pretty damn sensible, too.

Can we agree on that much?

Ron

Donald Munro
June 30th 06, 08:49 AM
Bill C wrote:
> I seem to be the flaming liberal around here. That's scary.

You'd better start training for the next WTO meeting.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home