PDA

View Full Version : This **** is changing by the hour...

Calogero Carlucci
June 30th 06, 08:21 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

June 30th 06, 08:32 PM
And Valverde may not get off clean either ...

>From http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2211

"The codenames written on the back of a business card confiscated from
haemotologist Jose Luis Merino are thought to have offered further
important clues. One of those codenames - "Birillo" - happens to be the
name of Basso's pet dog. The investigators' suspicions may have
deepened when they realised that former Comunitat Valenciana man
Alejandro Valverde owns a dog called "Piti" - another name which
appeared on the business card.

Reports in Spain have indicated that Valverde escaped action today as
the last references to "Piti" allegedly date from 2004."

If riders are being pulled to protect the image of the race and team
sponsors, Valverde might need to go as well.

Calogero Carlucci wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

June 30th 06, 08:35 PM
I predict that there will be fallout from this, most days, for the next
month. Between sponsor bailouts, court orders, rider denials, fighting,
rider strikes, riders getting pelted with tomatoes on the Alpe, etc.

Also remember, the French police like to wait until the Tour is already
underway before they start busting down the hotel room doors. There is
probably way more **** to come.

Calogero Carlucci wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

yeahyeah
June 30th 06, 08:40 PM
wrote:
> And Valverde may not get off clean either ...
>
> >From http://www.procycling.com/news.aspx?ID=2211
>
> "The codenames written on the back of a business card confiscated from
> haemotologist Jose Luis Merino are thought to have offered further
> important clues. One of those codenames - "Birillo" - happens to be the
> name of Basso's pet dog. The investigators' suspicions may have
> deepened when they realised that former Comunitat Valenciana man
> Alejandro Valverde owns a dog called "Piti" - another name which
> appeared on the business card.

First VDB's dog, then Tugboat, now Birillo? It just goes to show, don't
trust dog people.
-cat person

June 30th 06, 08:40 PM

Calogero Carlucci wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

Bill C
June 30th 06, 08:44 PM
wrote:
> I predict that there will be fallout from this, most days, for the next
> month. Between sponsor bailouts, court orders, rider denials, fighting,
> rider strikes, riders getting pelted with tomatoes on the Alpe, etc.
>
> Also remember, the French police like to wait until the Tour is already
> underway before they start busting down the hotel room doors. There is
> probably way more **** to come.
>

> Calogero Carlucci wrote:
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

Agreed, this is going to get a whole hell of a lot uglier before it
gets better. That's for damned sure.
Aside from the ethical position I really wanted to see how the riders
did when it was going to be 95% clean once it started. You know
there'll be doping cops, and real cops shadowing these teams and riders
everywhere. The difference in performance was going to, in my mind, be
a really interesting thing to watch.
Bill C

Curtis L. Russell
June 30th 06, 08:52 PM
On 30 Jun 2006 12:32:21 -0700, wrote:

>Reports in Spain have indicated that Valverde escaped action today as
>the last references to "Piti" allegedly date from 2004."
>
>If riders are being pulled to protect the image of the race and team
>sponsors, Valverde might need to go as well.

Declare a virtual suspension, ending today and let him race. Actually,
this would play well in the U.S., if we ever paid much attention to
any bike racer that wasn't from this side of the world. Reformed
rider, seen the error of his ways and all that. Certainly nothing a
U.S. sponsor would lose sleep over, except maybe Johnson and Johnson
or similar.

Hell, Kate Moss has served her virtual suspension already and is back
at work, one place or another.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Donald Munro
June 30th 06, 09:08 PM
mcclain wrote:
> "The codenames written on the back of a business card confiscated from
> haemotologist Jose Luis Merino are thought to have offered further
> important clues. One of those codenames - "Birillo" - happens to be the
> name of Basso's pet dog. The investigators' suspicions may have
> deepened when they realised that former Comunitat Valenciana man
> Alejandro Valverde owns a dog called "Piti" - another name which
> appeared on the business card.

I don't suppose there was a tugboat (or spanish translation thereof)
scrawled anywhere on this card. What was VDB's dogs name ?

Moral of the story: Don't own a dog as a pet if you don't want to be
accused of doping.

Mike Jacoubowsky
June 30th 06, 09:22 PM
> Aside from the ethical position I really wanted to see how the riders
> did when it was going to be 95% clean once it started. You know
> there'll be doping cops, and real cops shadowing these teams and riders
> everywhere. The difference in performance was going to, in my mind, be
> a really interesting thing to watch.
> Bill C

Unfortunately, differences in strategy may very well mask whatever
differences in performance might have been detectable. The lack of riders
with the skill set required of a potential TdF winner may have a markedly
greater effect on how the race goes than the lack of "boosted" athletes.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Bill C" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> wrote:
>> I predict that there will be fallout from this, most days, for the next
>> month. Between sponsor bailouts, court orders, rider denials, fighting,
>> rider strikes, riders getting pelted with tomatoes on the Alpe, etc.
>>
>> Also remember, the French police like to wait until the Tour is already
>> underway before they start busting down the hotel room doors. There is
>> probably way more **** to come.
>>

>> Calogero Carlucci wrote:
>> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6
>
> Agreed, this is going to get a whole hell of a lot uglier before it
> gets better. That's for damned sure.
> Aside from the ethical position I really wanted to see how the riders
> did when it was going to be 95% clean once it started. You know
> there'll be doping cops, and real cops shadowing these teams and riders
> everywhere. The difference in performance was going to, in my mind, be
> a really interesting thing to watch.
> Bill C

Curtis L. Russell
June 30th 06, 09:26 PM
On 30 Jun 2006 12:40:15 -0700, "yeahyeah" >
wrote:

>First VDB's dog, then Tugboat, now Birillo? It just goes to show, don't
>trust dog people.
>-cat person

Let me introduce your cats to my older Scottie. She has a slightly
different view of the phrase 'cat food'.

If the names 'Tina' or 'Pelli' show up, I was only trying to find a
source for a good Spanish tawny port.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Jonathan v.d. Sluis
June 30th 06, 10:41 PM
wrote in news:1151696112.820367.66530
@d30g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I predict that there will be fallout from this, most days, for the next
> month. Between sponsor bailouts, court orders, rider denials, fighting,
> rider strikes, riders getting pelted with tomatoes on the Alpe, etc.
>
> Also remember, the French police like to wait until the Tour is already
> underway before they start busting down the hotel room doors. There is
> probably way more **** to come.
>

> Calogero Carlucci wrote:
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6

And the wonderful thing is that at the end of it all, someone is going to
win.

Davey Crockett
June 30th 06, 11:03 PM
On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:41:05 +0200, "Jonathan v.d. Sluis"
> a écrit :

>> Calogero Carlucci wrote:
>>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jun06/jun30news6
>>

>And the wonderful thing is that at the end of it all, someone is going to
>win.

A Pyrrhic victory possibly because nobody will believe the winner
wasn't Juiced.

Not even Davey who's a gullible guy and steadfastly believes in Santa
Klaus, God, the Tooth Fairy and that OJ didn't Whack Nicole and her
Toy-Boy

Mike Jacoubowsky
July 1st 06, 12:14 AM
> A Pyrrhic victory possibly because nobody will believe the winner
> wasn't Juiced.

Interesting. A race that may eventually be seen in the record books with an
asterisk next to it, essentially not counting because it played out under
radically different circumstances than those which came before & after.

"Davey Crockett" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:41:05 +0200, "Jonathan v.d. Sluis"
> > a écrit :

>>And the wonderful thing is that at the end of it all, someone is going to
>>win.
>
> A Pyrrhic victory possibly because nobody will believe the winner
> wasn't Juiced.
>
> Not even Davey who's a gullible guy and steadfastly believes in Santa
> Klaus, God, the Tooth Fairy and that OJ didn't Whack Nicole and her
> Toy-Boy

July 1st 06, 12:27 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

> Interesting. A race that may eventually be seen in the record books with an
> asterisk next to it, essentially not counting because it played out under
> radically different circumstances than those which came before & after.

Hmm. Interesting. I have to admit, I never actively think of the 84
Olympics as having an asterisk next to them, but then again, I tend to
lump all of the other Oly's together, and then there is the seperate
memory of 1984. I suppose I never put them ont he same level, and
never really gave it much thought.

I don't think we'll see the asterisk comment so much, as the doping
busts will just continue from year to year. I don't think of the 98
tour as any kind of fluke. I just think of it as a bunch of dopers got
caught, and then a bunch of "probable dopers" walked awway under the
guise of being so upset by it all.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home