PDA

View Full Version : UCI Regulations and Landis' bike

Gemma_k
July 2nd 06, 02:53 AM
How does Landis get away with this?
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15

UCI rules still say that the handlebar and extension must be below the level
of the seat - where are the commissaires????
Applicable rules below....
1.3.022 d) Structure

In competitions other than those covered by article 1.3.023, only the
traditional type of handlebars

(see diagram «structure 1») may be used. The point of support for the hands
must be positioned in

an area defined as follows: above, by the horizontal plane of the point of
support of the saddle (B);

below, by the horizontal line passing through the highest point of the two
wheels (these being of

equal diameter) (C); at the rear by the axis of the steerer tube (D) and at
the front by a vertical line

passing through the front wheel spindle with a 5 cm tolerance (see diagram
«Structure (1A)»). The

distance referred to in point (A) is not applicable to the bicycle of a
rider who takes part in a sprint,

keirin or olympic sprint race, but must not exceed 10 cm in relation to the
vertical line passing

through the front wheel spindle.

1.3.023 For road time trial competitions and for the following track
competitions: individual and team pursuit,

kilometre and 500 m, an extension may be added to the steering system. The
distance

between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the
extremity of the handlebar

may not exceed 75 cm, with the other limits set in article 1.3.022 (B,C,D)
remaining

unchanged. A support for the elbows or forearms is permitted (see diagram
«Structure (1B)»).

For road time trial competitions, controls or levers fixed to the handlebar
extension may extend

beyond the 75 cm limit as long as they do not constitute a change of use,
particularly that of providing

an alternative hand position beyond the 75 cm mark.

July 2nd 06, 04:12 AM
Gemma_k wrote:
> How does Landis get away with this?
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15
>
> UCI rules still say that the handlebar and extension must be below the level
> of the seat - where are the commissaires????
> Applicable rules below....
> 1.3.022 d) Structure
>
> In competitions other than those covered by article 1.3.023, only the
> traditional type of handlebars
> (see diagram «structure 1») may be used. The point of support for thehands
> must be positioned in
> an area defined as follows: above, by the horizontal plane of the point of
> support of the saddle (B); ...

This rule applies to races that are not TTs (or pursuit/kilo/500m).

> 1.3.023 For road time trial competitions and for the following track
> competitions: individual and team pursuit,
> kilometre and 500 m, an extension may be added to the steering system. The
> distance
> between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the
> extremity of the handlebar
> may not exceed 75 cm, with the other limits set in article 1.3.022 (B,C,D)
> remaining
> unchanged. A support for the elbows or forearms is permitted (see diagram
> «Structure (1B)»).
> For road time trial competitions, controls or levers fixed to the handlebar
> extension may extend
> beyond the 75 cm limit as long as they do not constitute a change of use,
> particularly that of providing
> an alternative hand position beyond the 75 cm mark.

This rule, for TTs, doesn't say anything about the bar height.
It sets a maximum forward reach of the bar extensions,
with the effect of ruling out the Obree "superman" position.

Landis's base bar is below the saddle, although it doesn't
seem to me that 1.3.022 applies to TTs anyway. Only the
extensions stick up. Other riders have used upward
pointing extensions, though not that extreme. In fact,
the aero bars Lemond used in 1989 sloped up fairly
steeply (of course the rules were different then, I'm just
pointing out that it is not a totally new idea), see pictures:

<http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cycling/1999/tour_de_france/news/1999/07/03/flashback_lemond/>
<http://www.bicycleposters.com/573.html>

Floyd's aerobars look like a normal set of extensions rotated
up, so he doesn't seem to be gaining an unfair equipment
advantage, in the sense that anyone else could do the same.

I hope that Floyd does well in this Tour so that I can watch for
whether the Masters Fattie bike racers, triathletes, and
overenthusiastic civilians I see around start riding with their
aerobars pointing up. Consider it an experiment in MF sociology.

Ben
RBR VP of Marketing

Gemma_k
July 2nd 06, 04:24 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
Gemma_k wrote:
> How does Landis get away with this?
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15
>

>> 1.3.023 For road time trial competitions and for the following track
>> competitions: individual and team pursuit,
>> kilometre and 500 m, an extension may be added to the steering system.
>> The
>> distance
>> between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the
>> extremity of the handlebar
>> may not exceed 75 cm, with the other limits set in article 1.3.022
>> (B,C,D)
>> remaining
>> unchanged. <snip>

> This rule, for TTs, doesn't say anything about the bar height.
> It sets a maximum forward reach of the bar extensions,
> with the effect of ruling out the Obree "superman" position.

Yes it does - read the rule again, particularly this portion "with the other
limits set in article 1.3.022 (B,C,D)
remaining unchanged."

It helps if you look at the rule from the UCI's webpage, cause there's a
diagram as well :-)
At the (aus) national champs last year plently of people were turned away
for having the bars rotated too high... you could get away with having the
gear shifters above the saddle (because they don't constitute a hand
position) but that was all....
So again, what's happened to the tour's commissaires?

Gemm

Mark Fennell
July 2nd 06, 06:50 AM
bjw wrote:
> I hope that Floyd does well in this Tour so that I can watch for
> whether the Masters Fattie bike racers, triathletes, and
> overenthusiastic civilians I see around start riding with their
> aerobars pointing up. Consider it an experiment in MF sociology.

Kind of like when all the MFs replaced their tt bars with the straight ones
they saw LA use in the Lance Chronicles last year?

Simon Brooke
July 2nd 06, 12:10 PM
in message <1151807284.990756@teuthos>, Gemma_k
') wrote:

> How does Landis get away with this?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15

> UCI rules still say that the handlebar and extension must be below the
> level of the seat - where are the commissaires????

Oh, that one's easy, I know that one.

His name isn't Obree.

Who, come to think of it, is the only pro cyclist whom I can say with
full confidence, hand on heart, I am certain has never used performance
enhancing drugs. Performance enhancing marmalade sandwiches are, of
course, another issue altogether.

Ring of great evil
Small one casts it into flame
Bringing rise of Men ;; gonzoron

RonSonic
July 2nd 06, 08:00 PM
On 1 Jul 2006 20:12:15 -0700, " >
wrote:

>Gemma_k wrote:
>> How does Landis get away with this?
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15
>>
>> UCI rules still say that the handlebar and extension must be below the level
>> of the seat - where are the commissaires????
>> Applicable rules below....
>> 1.3.022 d) Structure
>>
>> In competitions other than those covered by article 1.3.023, only the
>> traditional type of handlebars
>> (see diagram «structure 1») may be used. The point of support for the hands
>> must be positioned in
>> an area defined as follows: above, by the horizontal plane of the point of
>> support of the saddle (B); ...
>
>This rule applies to races that are not TTs (or pursuit/kilo/500m).
>
>> 1.3.023 For road time trial competitions and for the following track
>> competitions: individual and team pursuit,
>> kilometre and 500 m, an extension may be added to the steering system. The
>> distance
>> between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the
>> extremity of the handlebar
>> may not exceed 75 cm, with the other limits set in article 1.3.022 (B,C,D)
>> remaining
>> unchanged. A support for the elbows or forearms is permitted (see diagram
>> «Structure (1B)»).
>> For road time trial competitions, controls or levers fixed to the handlebar
>> extension may extend
>> beyond the 75 cm limit as long as they do not constitute a change of use,
>> particularly that of providing
>> an alternative hand position beyond the 75 cm mark.
>
>This rule, for TTs, doesn't say anything about the bar height.
>It sets a maximum forward reach of the bar extensions,
>with the effect of ruling out the Obree "superman" position.
>
>Landis's base bar is below the saddle, although it doesn't
>seem to me that 1.3.022 applies to TTs anyway. Only the
>extensions stick up. Other riders have used upward
>pointing extensions, though not that extreme. In fact,
>the aero bars Lemond used in 1989 sloped up fairly
>steeply (of course the rules were different then, I'm just
>pointing out that it is not a totally new idea), see pictures:
>
><http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cycling/1999/tour_de_france/news/1999/07/03/flashback_lemond/>
><http://www.bicycleposters.com/573.html>
>
>Floyd's aerobars look like a normal set of extensions rotated
>up, so he doesn't seem to be gaining an unfair equipment
>advantage, in the sense that anyone else could do the same.
>
>I hope that Floyd does well in this Tour so that I can watch for
>whether the Masters Fattie bike racers, triathletes, and
>overenthusiastic civilians I see around start riding with their
>aerobars pointing up. Consider it an experiment in MF sociology.

There's already a lot of awfully tall aero bars out there.

Ron

Ryan Cousineau
July 3rd 06, 03:42 PM
In article <1151812748.600732@teuthos>,
"Gemma_k" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> Gemma_k wrote:
> > How does Landis get away with this?
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour
> > 06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15
> >

> >> 1.3.023 For road time trial competitions and for the following track
> >> competitions: individual and team pursuit,
> >> kilometre and 500 m, an extension may be added to the steering system.
> >> The
> >> distance
> >> between the vertical line passing through the bottom bracket axle and the
> >> extremity of the handlebar
> >> may not exceed 75 cm, with the other limits set in article 1.3.022
> >> (B,C,D)
> >> remaining
> >> unchanged. <snip>
>
> > This rule, for TTs, doesn't say anything about the bar height.
> > It sets a maximum forward reach of the bar extensions,
> > with the effect of ruling out the Obree "superman" position.
>
> Yes it does - read the rule again, particularly this portion "with the other
> limits set in article 1.3.022 (B,C,D)
> remaining unchanged."
>
> It helps if you look at the rule from the UCI's webpage, cause there's a
> diagram as well :-)
> At the (aus) national champs last year plently of people were turned away
> for having the bars rotated too high... you could get away with having the
> gear shifters above the saddle (because they don't constitute a hand
> position) but that was all....
> So again, what's happened to the tour's commissaires?
>
> Gemm

Morphological exemption?

TimC
July 9th 06, 02:23 PM
On 2006-07-02, Gemma_k (aka Bruce)
> How does Landis get away with this?
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15
>
> UCI rules still say that the handlebar and extension must be below the level
> of the seat - where are the commissaires????
> Applicable rules below....

Well, I didn't see the latter part of the time trial lastnight,
because of this morning's early ride, but Phil and Paul just told us
that he had to change his bike at the last moment because of either an
anonymous complaint, or the referees themselves decided it was
illegal. Odd that he has been riding it since January though.

I was looking forward to seeing him ride that, dammit.

--
TimC
> So, what do *you* do for a living?
I sit in a chair, pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders

Aeek
July 9th 06, 02:26 PM
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:23:29 +0930, "Gemma_k"
> wrote:

>How does Landis get away with this?
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tour06/index.php?id=/photos/2006/tour06/tour060/JD_06TDFplg15
>
>UCI rules still say that the handlebar and extension must be below the level
>of the seat - where are the commissaires????
>Applicable rules below....
>1.3.022 d) Structure

wow you are influential Gemma, the international referees finally
cracked down on Floyd's bars for yesterdays TT according to
P&P's commentary tonight.

Andre

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home