PDA

View Full Version : Hydration - A cautionary, topical tale

Mike the Unshavable
July 3rd 06, 06:52 PM
I've been a cyclist for getting on for 40 years - I've done my fair share
of audaxing, touring and commuting (but only raced twice).
I've never, ever drunk enough.
I battled on through the heat, with the bare minimum of fluid on board -
surely dark concentrated urine is the sign of a real man ;)

Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't ever
wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although thinking about
some of the drivers I've come across.....)

Among the questions the A&E doc asked me were "do you, or have, you taken
part in endurance sports?" - yup; "worked in a hot environment?" - yup.
So, I'm off the bike, and off the bike waiting to see if it's true that
all things do come to pass - and occasionally going "OUCH! that smarts!"

So as it is writ by the masters (Velocio?) - Drink before you are
thirsty!

There's a wealth of advice written on fluid and electrolyte balance and
intake while cycling any serious distance - if only I'd paid attention!

Mike

Mark Thompson
July 3rd 06, 07:53 PM
> Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't
> ever wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although
> thinking about some of the drivers I've come across.....)

I went from your post to this (without realising I'd changed threads):

"It could be an over-tight cone, deformed balls, a knackered cone or a
pitted/cracked cup. You won't really know until you've taken it apart
and cleaned it up."

!!

--
Mark

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 3rd 06, 08:15 PM
Mike the Unshavable >typed

> I've been a cyclist for getting on for 40 years - I've done my fair share
> of audaxing, touring and commuting (but only raced twice).
> I've never, ever drunk enough.
> I battled on through the heat, with the bare minimum of fluid on board -
> surely dark concentrated urine is the sign of a real man ;)

> Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't ever
> wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although thinking about
> some of the drivers I've come across.....)

> Among the questions the A&E doc asked me were "do you, or have, you taken
> part in endurance sports?" - yup; "worked in a hot environment?" - yup.
> So, I'm off the bike, and off the bike waiting to see if it's true that
> all things do come to pass - and occasionally going "OUCH! that smarts!"

> So as it is writ by the masters (Velocio?) - Drink before you are
> thirsty!

> There's a wealth of advice written on fluid and electrolyte balance and
> intake while cycling any serious distance - if only I'd paid attention!

> Mike

Get well soon!

You certainly need to make sure you drink enough.

However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
out the hard way which you were...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Mike the Unshavable
July 3rd 06, 08:36 PM
Mark Thompson
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to _reply*.com> writed in
03.19:

>> Well now I've got a retched kidney stone lodged in my ureter - don't
>> ever wish this sort of pain on your worst enemy! (.... although
>> thinking about some of the drivers I've come across.....)
>
> I went from your post to this (without realising I'd changed threads):
>
> "It could be an over-tight cone, deformed balls, a knackered cone or a
> pitted/cracked cup. You won't really know until you've taken it apart
> and cleaned it up."
>
> !!

That pretty much sums it up!

Don Whybrow
July 3rd 06, 11:07 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
> out the hard way which you were...

Is there an easy way?

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am."

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 3rd 06, 11:49 PM
Don Whybrow >typed

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> >
> > However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
> > out the hard way which you were...
> >

> Is there an easy way?

Some stone formers have others in the family and their blood
biochemistry may show some abnormalities.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

sothach
July 4th 06, 09:06 AM
Don Whybrow wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> >
> > However, some people are stone formers, some are not; shame you found
> > out the hard way which you were...
> >

> Is there an easy way?

Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
(acid) rain in no time...

dkahn400
July 4th 06, 10:15 AM
sothach wrote:

> Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> (acid) rain in no time...

Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

--
Dave...

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 4th 06, 12:36 PM
"dkahn400" >typed

> sothach wrote:

> > Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> > (acid) rain in no time...

> Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?

Your body will keep your blood pH very close to 7.4 in health, whatever
you eat...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

dkahn400
July 4th 06, 12:46 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> In article om>,
> says...
> > sothach wrote:
> >
> > > Drink a pint of kettle de-scaler every morning - you'll be as right as
> > > (acid) rain in no time...
> >
> > Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?
>
> Vinegar? Ptui!
>
> Heathen.

Excellent with Brussels sprouts. :-)

--
Dave...

Blonde
July 4th 06, 02:32 PM
dkahn400 wrote:

> However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
Kettle de-scaler also?

Alex Potter
July 4th 06, 02:33 PM
Blonde wrote:

> I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> Kettle de-scaler also?

I always thought that it was acetic acid...
--
Regards
Alex

Blonde
July 4th 06, 02:35 PM
Alex Potter wrote:
> Blonde wrote:
>
> > I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> > Kettle de-scaler also?
>
> I always thought that it was acetic acid...
> --
> Regards
> Alex
> The From address above is a spam-trap.
> The Reply-To address is valid

You are correct - it is acid.

Rob Morley
July 4th 06, 02:38 PM
In article . com>
Blonde > wrote:

> dkahn400 wrote:
>
> > However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> > site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> > the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.
>
> I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> Kettle de-scaler also?

Vinegar is basically dilute acetic acid, and kettle descaler is often
citric acid.

Rob Morley
July 4th 06, 02:42 PM
In article . com>
dkahn400 > wrote:
> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> > > Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?
> >
> > Your body will keep your blood pH very close to 7.4 in health, whatever
> > you eat...
>
> It's more the acidity of the urine that's in question, isn't it? Hence
> sothatch's recommendation of drinking kettle de-scaler for dissolving
> kidney stones. However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

Whether or not that's the case, is it really relevant when you consider
that our stomachs produce their own hydrochloric acid?

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 4th 06, 03:15 PM
"Blonde" >typed

> dkahn400 wrote:

> > However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> > site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> > the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.

> I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> Kettle de-scaler also?

Organic acids are 'weak' and their sodium salts are alkaline.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 4th 06, 03:17 PM
Rob Morley >typed

> In article . com>
> Blonde > wrote:
> >
> > dkahn400 wrote:
> >
> > > However, I've just done a quick google and found a web
> > > site that claims that drinking vinegar causes an immediate /drop/ in
> > > the acidity of one's urine. There's a surprise if it's true.
> >
> > I may be wrong, but..is an vinegar alkaline liquid, rather than acid?
> > Kettle de-scaler also?
> >

> Vinegar is basically dilute acetic acid, and kettle descaler is often
> citric acid.

Some descalers are sulphamic acid, some are citric acid.
Acetic acid will also do the job.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Al C-F
July 4th 06, 03:39 PM
dkahn400 wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
>>In article om>,
says...

>>>Will putting extra vinegar on my chips have the same effect?
>>
>>Vinegar? Ptui!
>>
>>Heathen.
>

> Excellent with Brussels sprouts. :-)

and swede.