PDA

View Full Version : Erik is awesome!

Bill C
July 4th 06, 06:48 AM
Udo's still my man, but...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul03news5

"Cycling is perhaps the sport that is most like real life," the winner
of six Tour de France Green jerseys continued. "Every guy can take part
in it and be successful: Big, small, fat, thin - you see all of them in
the field and depending on the circumstances, each group can put its
own characteristics to use; for example, a lighter rider in the
mountains or a heavier one in the sprint. And just like in real life,
we have gangsters and honourable men, clever ones and dumb ones. Maybe
that's why everyone loves our sport so much."

Ride your ass off and speak the truth. Zabel was a much bigger hero,
and more popular than Jan, among the people.
Bill C

Snippy Bobkins
July 4th 06, 02:14 PM
"Bill C" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Udo's still my man, but...
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul03news5
>
> "Cycling is perhaps the sport that is most like real life," the winner
> of six Tour de France Green jerseys continued. "Every guy can take part
> in it and be successful: Big, small, fat, thin - you see all of them in
> the field and depending on the circumstances, each group can put its
> own characteristics to use; for example, a lighter rider in the
> mountains or a heavier one in the sprint. And just like in real life,
> we have gangsters and honourable men, clever ones and dumb ones. Maybe
> that's why everyone loves our sport so much."
>
> Ride your ass off and speak the truth. Zabel was a much bigger hero,
> and more popular than Jan, among the people.

And just like in real life, we're all druggies!

--
Snippy d'Caffeine

Mike Jacoubowsky
July 4th 06, 09:41 PM
> Ride your ass off and speak the truth. Zabel was a much bigger hero,
> and more popular than Jan, among the people.
> Bill C

Interesting to think that two of my favorite riders (Zabel and Voight) are
both Germans. German fans, I often have little use for (viewing the end of
the final TT of the '04 TdF in a train station bar in Besancon, the German
"fans" were booing everyone crossing the line who wasn't German, including
Voeckler... one of the tackiest displays of humanity I've ever witnessed...
penultimate stage of the TdF, everyone crossing the line at that point
deserved applause!). But Zabel and Voight are consistently great sportsmen
and outrageously tenacious. Neither gives up, rarely complain, and seem to
enjoy spending time with their fans.

I remember a few years ago, when Voight was way out front covering a break,
and was called back to help the team's leader (don't recall who it was).
Seemed like he had a shot at the win, but he didn't show any disappointment,
rather, he sat up, smiled, and started having a bit of fun with the
cameraman.

And Zabel. He almost seemed to transform himself into a GC contender for a
while. Watching him over the top of the Tourmalet, very close to the lead
group, was impressive. I'd love to see him win a stage or two and retire on
a high note. Of course, it's not what you deserve, but rather what you can
do that matters. Hopefully he can do it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home