PDA

View Full Version : Dawes Discovery 301

Lee
July 4th 06, 04:35 PM
Hi !.

I am 67 yrs old (male) and i bought a £90 wonder MTB last year and i think
i`ve outgrown it !.it now seems very limited as to what it is capable of , i
tried changing the tyres for semi slik Schwalbe city tyres and the
difference is amazing....i`m climbing inclines in 3rd & 4th where before i
was struggling in 1st !....on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to get to
circa 25mph....... (what do you expect for 90 quid).....

I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am told
that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on the
flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as to
whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....

Thanks ....I`ve got the cycling bug.... :-)

Lee.....

Pinky
July 4th 06, 05:25 PM
"Lee" > wrote in message
o.uk...
> Hi !.
>
> I am 67 yrs old (male) and i bought a £90 wonder MTB last year and i think
> i`ve outgrown it !.it now seems very limited as to what it is capable of ,
> tried changing the tyres for semi slik Schwalbe city tyres and the
> difference is amazing....i`m climbing inclines in 3rd & 4th where before i
> was struggling in 1st !....on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to get to
> circa 25mph....... (what do you expect for 90 quid).....
>
> I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am
> told
> that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on the
> flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as to
> whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....
>
> Thanks ....I`ve got the cycling bug.... :-)
>
> Lee.....

I rode a Discovery 501 for over two years. It was modified a bit with an 11
to 34 rear cassette and the chainset was changed to 44 34 24 . It served me
very well for cycle/camping touring and day to day training and shopping
runs and It covered over 10,000 in the time I had it ( it was stolen last
December) I am now riding my Discovery 601 -- again modified a bit with
butterfly handle bars and the 11-34 cassette again. I have just got back
from this years cycle/camping tour on the Rhein/Mosel and it behaved
impeccably towing a BoB Yak trailer for over 2240 kms!

I am not a speed merchant at 69 but I can trundle along at 20 mph on the
level in little wind.and on a normal sort of day in the lumpy area I live in
I usually maintain an average of about 10 mph over a days ride. But I do
tend to carry training loads wherever I cycle.

I would suggest that you still might be able to buy last years models at a
sale price from a good lbs and perhaps you might be able to get a 401 or a
501 for a similar price.

I confess that I am almost certainly going to buy a Trice T trike for next
years magnum opus since I am think of going C2C across USA. Is is certainly
faster ( and also lowered geared in the option I am considering which will
get me over the Rockies), a delight to ride and adds a new freedom to the
art of biking. It also has a very good load carrying capacity

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Steph Peters
July 4th 06, 11:22 PM
"Lee" > of wrote:
>I am 67 yrs old (male) and i bought a £90 wonder MTB last year and i think
>i`ve outgrown it !.it now seems very limited as to what it is capable of , i
>tried changing the tyres for semi slik Schwalbe city tyres and the
>difference is amazing....i`m climbing inclines in 3rd & 4th where before i
>was struggling in 1st !....on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to get to
>circa 25mph....... (what do you expect for 90 quid).....
>
>I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am told
>that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on the
>flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as to
>whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....

You need to give us a bit more information. There is a choice of reasonable
bikes at your price level, but without knowing what sort of riding you do
it's impossible to suggest which might suit you. So where do you ride, how
far, how often?
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Lee
July 5th 06, 05:44 AM
"Pinky" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "Lee" > wrote in message
> o.uk...
> > Hi !.
<snip

> I rode a Discovery 501 for over two years. It was modified a bit with an
11
> to 34 rear cassette and the chainset was changed to 44 34 24 . It served
me
> very well for cycle/camping touring and day to day training and shopping
> runs and It covered over 10,000 in the time I had it ( it was stolen last
> December) I am now riding my Discovery 601 -- again modified a bit with
> butterfly handle bars and the 11-34 cassette again. I have just got back
> from this years cycle/camping tour on the Rhein/Mosel and it behaved
> impeccably towing a BoB Yak trailer for over 2240 kms!
>
> I am not a speed merchant at 69 but I can trundle along at 20 mph on the
> level in little wind.and on a normal sort of day in the lumpy area I live
in
> I usually maintain an average of about 10 mph over a days ride. But I do
> tend to carry training loads wherever I cycle.
>
> I would suggest that you still might be able to buy last years models at a
> sale price from a good lbs and perhaps you might be able to get a 401 or a
> 501 for a similar price.
>
> I confess that I am almost certainly going to buy a Trice T trike for next
> years magnum opus since I am think of going C2C across USA. Is is
certainly
> faster ( and also lowered geared in the option I am considering which will
> get me over the Rockies), a delight to ride and adds a new freedom to the
> art of biking. It also has a very good load carrying capacity
>

> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire,
> England, United Kingdom.
> www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Thanks Trevor.

Lee
July 5th 06, 05:47 AM
"Steph Peters" > wrote in message
> "Lee" > of wrote:
> >I am 67 yrs old (male) and i bought a £90 wonder MTB last year and i
think
> >i`ve outgrown it !.it now seems very limited as to what it is capable of
, i
> >tried changing the tyres for semi slik Schwalbe city tyres and the
> >difference is amazing....i`m climbing inclines in 3rd & 4th where before
> >was struggling in 1st !....on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to get
> >circa 25mph....... (what do you expect for 90 quid).....
> >
> >I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am
told
> >that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on
the
> >flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as to
> >whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....
>
> You need to give us a bit more information. There is a choice of
reasonable
> bikes at your price level, but without knowing what sort of riding you do
> it's impossible to suggest which might suit you. So where do you ride,
how
> far, how often?

Daily shopping (about 5 miles daily) and occasional weekend rides up to
30-40 miles, no offroad......

Lee...

> --
> Steph Peters
> Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group
> Monthly slow and easy rides from South Manchester
> http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

Simon Brooke
July 5th 06, 08:17 AM
in message >, Lee
') wrote:

> "Steph Peters" > wrote in message
>> "Lee" > of wrote:
>> >I am 67 yrs old (male) and i bought a £90 wonder MTB last year and i
> think
>> >i`ve outgrown it !.it now seems very limited as to what it is capable
>> >of
> , i
>> >tried changing the tyres for semi slik Schwalbe city tyres and the
>> >difference is amazing....i`m climbing inclines in 3rd & 4th where
>> >before
>> >was struggling in 1st !....on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to
>> >get
>> >circa 25mph....... (what do you expect for 90 quid).....
>> >
>> >I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and
>> >am
> told
>> >that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph
>> >on
> the
>> >flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as
>> >to whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....
>>
>> You need to give us a bit more information. There is a choice of
>> reasonable
>> bikes at your price level, but without knowing what sort of riding
>> you do
>> it's impossible to suggest which might suit you. So where do you
>> ride, how
>> far, how often?
>
> Daily shopping (about 5 miles daily) and occasional weekend rides up to
> 30-40 miles, no offroad......

For the five mile shopping trips, an upright riding position will be
ideal and straight bars no disadvantage. For the longer weekend trips a
lower more relaxed position might be more comfortable and you really
need to be able to vary your hand position.

;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

Peter Clinch
July 5th 06, 08:40 AM
Pinky wrote:

> I confess that I am almost certainly going to buy a Trice T trike for next
> years magnum opus since I am think of going C2C across USA. Is is certainly
> faster

For values of "certainly" that aren't very certain... The Trice T isn't
going to break any speed records even though it should give you a fair
dose of Whizz downhill.

ot that that makes it bad, but it might well be the wrong machine if
you're getting it with "faster" as a specific buying goal.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Peter Clinch
July 5th 06, 08:50 AM
Lee wrote:

> I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am told
> that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on the
> flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as to
> whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....

The Disco 301 looks a fair machine that is basically gimmick free and
should do what you want. However, I would personally suggest you budget
extra for a decent set of mudguards (SKS are v. good) and a luggage
rack, and probably a decentish pair of panniers too if you intend using
it for shopping. Trailers are very good for shopping, but will add
considerably to the budget.

25 mph on the flat is difficult to sustain: once you're up towards 20
air resistance is the main factor, and the upright ride position of a
hybrid contributes quite a bit to air resistance, so I wouldn't assume
you'll be doing 25 mph everywhere with no hills!

There are certainly other viable options: hybrids in this bit of the
market aren't a scarce commodity, but Dawes are a respectable brand and
you won't be getting ripped off.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Al C-F
July 5th 06, 09:19 AM
Lee wrote:

> Daily shopping (about 5 miles daily) and occasional weekend rides up to
> 30-40 miles, no offroad......

You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.

Peter Clinch
July 5th 06, 09:25 AM
Simon Brooke wrote:

> For the five mile shopping trips, an upright riding position will be
> ideal and straight bars no disadvantage. For the longer weekend trips a
> lower more relaxed position might be more comfortable and you really
> need to be able to vary your hand position.

Up to a point. Different people have different ideas of "relaxed" and
"comfortable" is similarly variable with personal physiology.

Drop bars certainly allow for better aerodynamics which in turn means
less overall effort on long trips, but any necessity for varying hand
positions is often due in large part to the extra weight being placed on
the arms, hands and shoulders by the more pronounced lean.

Another thing about drops is they do take a bit of getting used to.
IMHO it's worth it, but they're not the right answer for everyone.
Having said that, if the OP really wants to get about at high speed then
they're clearly a better solution to flats.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

John B
July 5th 06, 11:58 AM
Pinky wrote:

> I confess that I am almost certainly going to buy a Trice T trike for next
> years magnum opus since I am think of going C2C across USA. Is is certainly
> faster ( and also lowered geared in the option I am considering which will
> get me over the Rockies), a delight to ride and adds a new freedom to the
> art of biking. It also has a very good load carrying capacity

That's a very nice machine and probably perfect for that use.
I've been over the Rockies several times, regrettably before I bought my
'bent.
The descents seem to be made for fast recumbent riding.

I certainly like the luggage carrying options you will have, with the option of
double panniers on the rear or a combination of the Radical bags and standard
panniers.

John B

Lee
July 6th 06, 06:57 AM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> in message >, Lee
> ') wrote:

> For the five mile shopping trips, an upright riding position will be
> ideal and straight bars no disadvantage. For the longer weekend trips a
> lower more relaxed position might be more comfortable and you really
> need to be able to vary your hand position.

Thanks, but i prefer the upright position and appreciate the reduced air
resistance with dropped bars but they make my back ache!!.

Regards.

Lee.....

> --
> (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from
Uranus.

Lee
July 6th 06, 07:08 AM
"Peter Clinch" > wrote in message
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>
> > For the five mile shopping trips, an upright riding position will be
> > ideal and straight bars no disadvantage. For the longer weekend trips a
> > lower more relaxed position might be more comfortable and you really
> > need to be able to vary your hand position.
>
> Up to a point. Different people have different ideas of "relaxed" and
> "comfortable" is similarly variable with personal physiology.
>
> Drop bars certainly allow for better aerodynamics which in turn means
> less overall effort on long trips, but any necessity for varying hand
> positions is often due in large part to the extra weight being placed on
> the arms, hands and shoulders by the more pronounced lean.
>
> Another thing about drops is they do take a bit of getting used to.
> IMHO it's worth it, but they're not the right answer for everyone.
> Having said that, if the OP really wants to get about at high speed then
> they're clearly a better solution to flats.

Thanks, but i don`t wish to get around at high speeds and i don`t like
dropped bars, i am just making the point that i seem to be thrashing my
pedals and getting no-where fast....i enjoy dawdling along enjoying the
scenery but i do enjoy having the high speed capabilty...who amongst us
doesn`t grow horns occasionally and burning up the road?.
Under the current circumstances i feel capable of it but my steed doesn`t!!
:-)

Lee....

> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Lee
July 6th 06, 07:14 AM
"Al C-F" > wrote in
message ...
> Lee wrote:
>

> > Daily shopping (about 5 miles daily) and occasional weekend rides up to
> > 30-40 miles, no offroad......
>
> You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
> call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
> shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.

Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars would
have to go!. :)

I have a carrier on my current bikethat i could use but i could do with some
panniers..

Lee...

Lee
July 6th 06, 07:46 AM
"Peter Clinch" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:
>
> > I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am
told
> > that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on
the
> > flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as to
> > whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....
>
> The Disco 301 looks a fair machine that is basically gimmick free and
> should do what you want. However, I would personally suggest you budget
> extra for a decent set of mudguards (SKS are v. good) and a luggage
> rack, and probably a decentish pair of panniers too if you intend using
> it for shopping. Trailers are very good for shopping, but will add
> considerably to the budget.

Ahh!.....thankyou Pete....just the kind of opinion i was looking for.

Unfortunately i can`t find any reviews and comparisons of the Discovery 301
and was looking for an opinion!

I have a luggage rack and `guards on my current bike but certainly need some
panniers.

As you clocked, i am quite taken with the appearance and apparent quality of
the Discovery; for the price which, as a pensioner, is stretching my budget
of around £300....and `Dawes` Has always had a good name back to the 1950`s
that i can remember, hence my choice....but i would accept something more
suitable around the same price as i`m sadly, not up to date with the later
generation of cycles.

> 25 mph on the flat is difficult to sustain: once you're up towards 20
> air resistance is the main factor, and the upright ride position of a
> hybrid contributes quite a bit to air resistance, so I wouldn't assume
> you'll be doing 25 mph everywhere with no hills!

Correct, but it is nice to have the capability when required.....
;-)

> There are certainly other viable options: hybrids in this bit of the
> market aren't a scarce commodity, but Dawes are a respectable brand and
> you won't be getting ripped off.

Exactly my thoughts Peter, i had a Dawes Clansman (Purple with a tartan
transfer on the saddle stem ) as a youngster in the 50`s and loved it to
bits..... polished it every time i used it.....every time i saw it i
couldn`t take my eyes off it......it was certainly (as i remember) better
quality than Hercules, B.S.A and Raleigh that i had owned before, i went
everywhere on it......miles and miles....so no newcomer to bikes!!! ....
just a little out of touch with this modern stuff!!!...hence the posting...

I have been a lurker on this N.G for abut 2 years...

Regards...

Lee.....

> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Lee
July 6th 06, 07:53 AM
"Alan Braggins" > wrote in message
> In article >, Peter Clinch wrote:
> >Lee wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am
told
> >> that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than 25mph on
the
> >> flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a second opinion as
> >> whether there is a better choice for around the same cash....
> >
> >The Disco 301 looks a fair machine that is basically gimmick free and
> >should do what you want.
> [...]
> >25 mph on the flat is difficult to sustain: once you're up towards 20
> >air resistance is the main factor, and the upright ride position of a
> >hybrid contributes quite a bit to air resistance, so I wouldn't assume
> >you'll be doing 25 mph everywhere with no hills!
>
> If he's really already reaching 25mph on his slick-tyred £90 mountain bike
> ("on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to get to circa 25mph"), he ought
> be able to manage a little faster on a reasonable quality hybrid.
> (Not up to Alan Holmes speeds perhaps, but still quite impressive.)
>
> But something like a Dawes Giro 300 might be more suitable.

Thanks Alan, i notice (like Peter) you have also stayed with `Dawes`, but
the `Giro 300` is more race orientated and altho` i loved them as a kid, i
replaced the dropped bars with straights; eventually and have stayed with
staights since....

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated..

Lee.....

Andy Leighton
July 6th 06, 08:53 AM
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 06:08:41 GMT, Lee > wrote:
> Thanks, but i don`t wish to get around at high speeds and i don`t like
> dropped bars, i am just making the point that i seem to be thrashing my
> pedals and getting no-where fast....

Earlier you said 25mph and now you say nowhere fast. 25mph is damn fast
in my book.

--
Andy Leighton =>
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Al C-F
July 6th 06, 09:50 AM
Lee wrote:
> "Al C-F" > wrote in
> message ...
>>
>>You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
>>call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
>>shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.
>

> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars would
> have to go!. :)

Is the Sterling still produced? That came out with 'butterfly' bars a
few years back.

Alan Braggins
July 6th 06, 09:54 AM
In article >, Lee wrote:
>"Alan Braggins" > wrote in message
>> In article >, Peter Clinch wrote:
>> >25 mph on the flat is difficult to sustain: once you're up towards 20
>> >air resistance is the main factor, and the upright ride position of a
>> >hybrid contributes quite a bit to air resistance, so I wouldn't assume
>> >you'll be doing 25 mph everywhere with no hills!
>>
>> If he's really already reaching 25mph on his slick-tyred £90 mountain bike
>> ("on level roads i`m pedalling like mad to get to circa 25mph"), he ought
>> be able to manage a little faster on a reasonable quality hybrid.
>> But something like a Dawes Giro 300 might be more suitable.
>
>Thanks Alan, i notice (like Peter) you have also stayed with `Dawes`, but

That was just an example at a similar price because you are looking
at a Dawes at the moment.

>the `Giro 300` is more race orientated

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
£90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....

Lee
July 6th 06, 10:27 AM
"Andy Leighton" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 06:08:41 GMT, Lee > wrote:
> > Thanks, but i don`t wish to get around at high speeds and i don`t like
> > dropped bars, i am just making the point that i seem to be thrashing my
> > pedals and getting no-where fast....
>
> Earlier you said 25mph and now you say nowhere fast. 25mph is damn fast
> in my book.

Maybe, but not when you feel you `could` use another cog!!!......and i
certainly don`t need a `triple` chainset!!!.....maybe a larger
single.....you`d think 18 gears was overkill unless you are HGV.....i used
to ride single speed cogs in the 50`s.....dirt track riding....

Having said that, the 301 is 24 speed !!! with a lower 1st and higher 8th
ratio...... :-/

Lee.....

> --
> Andy Leighton =>
> "The Lord is my shepherd, but we still lost the sheep dog trials"
> - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

Peter Clinch
July 6th 06, 10:38 AM
Lee wrote:

> Maybe, but not when you feel you `could` use another cog!!!......and i
> certainly don`t need a `triple` chainset!!!

"Need", no. I did just fine with 6x2 for everything, including touring,
for years, but now I've got more it just means I can more easily
optimise speed/cadence, which is a Good Thing.

> you`d think 18 gears was overkill unless you are HGV

But you don't really have 18 because of the overlaps between the
chainwheels and sprockets. But the more gears you have, if they're well
selected, means you can keep rolling at a reasonably steady cadence
irrespective of terrain. It's not about the absolute capabilities at
the ends of the ranges so much as optimising the middle ground as well
as possible, because that's where you are most of the time.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Lee
July 6th 06, 10:55 AM
"Alan Braggins" > wrote in message
> In article >, Lee wrote:
> >"Alan Braggins" > wrote in message
> >> In article >, Peter Clinch wrote:
<snip

> >Thanks Alan, i notice (like Peter) you have also stayed with `Dawes`, but
>
> That was just an example at a similar price because you are looking
> at a Dawes at the moment.
>

> >the `Giro 300` is more race orientated
>
> As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
> £90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....

Well Alan i am using a very optomistic `Raleigh` cycle computer !!!!!!!!
;-)

He he......

Lee....

Rob Morley
July 6th 06, 01:33 PM
In article >
Lee > wrote:

> "Alan Braggins" > wrote in message
> <snip
> > >
> > >Thanks Alan, i notice (like Peter) you have also stayed with `Dawes`, but
> >
> > That was just an example at a similar price because you are looking
> > at a Dawes at the moment.
> >

> > >the `Giro 300` is more race orientated
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
> > £90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....
>
> Well Alan i am using a very optomistic `Raleigh` cycle computer !!!!!!!!
> ;-)

Any cycle computer should be pretty accurate if properly calibrated -
all it does is time the duration of a wheel rotation and perform some
simple arithmetic using the wheel circumference.

Simon Brooke
July 6th 06, 06:21 PM
in message >, Lee
') wrote:

> "Al C-F" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Lee wrote:
>>
>> > Daily shopping (about 5 miles daily) and occasional weekend rides up
>> > to 30-40 miles, no offroad......
>>
>> You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
>> call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
>> shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.
>
> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> would have to go!. :)

Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

;; Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Simon Brooke
July 6th 06, 06:30 PM
in message >, Peter Clinch
') wrote:

> Lee wrote:
>
>> I am looking at a Dawes Dicovery 301 for £270 as a next step up and am
>> told that with the extra cogs, i should be able to reach more than
>> 25mph on the flat, besides, i like it very much but would like a
>> second opinion as to whether there is a better choice for around the
>> same cash....
>
> 25 mph on the flat is difficult to sustain: once you're up towards 20
> air resistance is the main factor, and the upright ride position of a
> hybrid contributes quite a bit to air resistance, so I wouldn't assume
> you'll be doing 25 mph everywhere with no hills!

Yup, hadn't spotted that bit. 25 mph is about 24 minutes for a ten mile
time trial. There are three or four people in my club who can beat
that - on specially adapted, highly aerodynamic time trial bikes. There
is one person in our club who can do 26 minutes - about 23 mph - on a
flat barred mountain bike. He's the Scottish national cross country
champion, and rode in the Commonwealth Games.

Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat barred bike
for very long.

;; all in all you're just another click in the call
;; -- Minke Bouyed

Chris Eilbeck
July 6th 06, 07:42 PM
Simon Brooke > writes:

> in message >, Lee
> ') wrote:
>

>> "Al C-F" > wrote in
>> message ...

>>> You might have a look at a Dawes Horizon, or whatever Edinburgh Cycles
>>> call their equivalent. The rack will take the panniers for your
>>> shopping, and you'll probably find it a better bet for longer rides.
>>
>> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
>> would have to go!. :)
>
> Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand
> positions, which many people find makes them more comfortable on
> longer trips.

I much prefer drops even though I spend most of my time just on the
hoods. I occasionally use the top of the bar when I'm tired. I only
ever use the drops properly when I'm going down hill, being in a tuck
and pedalling has interference issues between my legs and my aerobelly
;o)

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Mark Thompson
July 6th 06, 08:18 PM
>> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
>> would have to go!. :)
>
> Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
> which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

And don't have to be lower than flat bars. Just fitted a new stem to the
junk bike and now I've a drop bar bike with a proper sit up and beg
position.

Mark Thompson
July 6th 06, 08:21 PM
> Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat barred bike
> for very long.

<whispers> This is why we all stop at red </whispers>

Chris Eilbeck
July 6th 06, 09:16 PM
Mark Thompson <pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to _reply*.com> writes:

>> Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat barred
>> bike for very long.
>
> <whispers> This is why we all stop at red </whispers>

I'm certainly red when I stop and my shades have been known to mist up
too.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

the.Mark
July 6th 06, 09:22 PM
Simon Brooke wrote:
> Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat
> barred bike for very long.

I was cruising along a bus lane to work this morning. I don't know
what speed I was doing but I was keeping up with the traffic. Up ahead
was a car parked in the bus lane, so my options were slow down and
move in behind the car beside me or speed up and get in front. I went
for the latter and when I passed the parked car I glanced at the
computer and was surprised to see it was 31.2 mph. That was on my Rock
hopper.

Ok, the trip to work isn't very far and I do like to push my self.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Rob Morley
July 7th 06, 12:58 AM
In article >
the.Mark > wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat
> > barred bike for very long.
>
> I was cruising along a bus lane to work this morning. I don't know
> what speed I was doing but I was keeping up with the traffic. Up ahead
> was a car parked in the bus lane, so my options were slow down and
> move in behind the car beside me or speed up and get in front. I went
> for the latter and when I passed the parked car I glanced at the
> computer and was surprised to see it was 31.2 mph. That was on my Rock
> hopper.
>
> Ok, the trip to work isn't very far and I do like to push my self.

If the traffic's close you'll get a tow too.

Lee
July 7th 06, 07:05 AM
"Simon Brooke" > wrote in message
> in message >, Lee
> ') wrote:
>

> > "Al C-F" > wrote in
> > message ...
> >> Lee wrote:
<snip

> > Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> > would have to go!. :)
>
> Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
> which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.

Yes, i appreciate the extra hand positions Simon but i find that `straight`
bars feel more comfortable, for me, that is!!!.

I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything and
more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past two
years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to have
several breaks over a 5 mile trip....

Riding the `301` yesterday i found i didn`t have to stop once....the gears
were so well spaced that i had no real stress on climbing hills and the
flats were even quicker than my £90 wonderbike....a much smoother ride and
no feeling of cheapness......the difference is dramatic.....i`m well
pleased.

This modern breed of `bike is so far removed from the `bikes i rode as a kid
in the `50s....i`m well impressed...

Regards...

Lee....

> --
> (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Lee
July 7th 06, 07:11 AM
"Chris Eilbeck" > wrote in message
> Simon Brooke > writes:
>
> > in message >, Lee
> > ') wrote:
> >

> >> "Al C-F" > wrote in
> >> message ...

> >> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> >> would have to go!. :)
> >
> > Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand
> > positions, which many people find makes them more comfortable on
> > longer trips.
>
> I much prefer drops even though I spend most of my time just on the
> hoods. I occasionally use the top of the bar when I'm tired. I only
> ever use the drops properly when I'm going down hill, being in a tuck
> and pedalling has interference issues between my legs and my aerobelly
> ;o)
>
> Chris
> --
> Chris Eilbeck

I found that Chris, when i was younger i used drops but was always upright
on the tops: i didn`t really like crouching , it used to make my neck ache;
so i replaced the drops for straights...been with them since...

Lee.....

Lee
July 7th 06, 07:12 AM
"Mark Thompson"
<pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_to _reply*.com> wrote in
message 03.19...
> >> Yes, thanks.....very nice (i have a catalogue) but the dropped bars
> >> would have to go!. :)
> >
> > Don't be certain about that. Drop bars give you lots of hand positions,
> > which many people find makes them more comfortable on longer trips.
>
> And don't have to be lower than flat bars. Just fitted a new stem to the
> junk bike and now I've a drop bar bike with a proper sit up and beg
> position.

Heh heh, nice one Mark....

Lee.....

Lee
July 7th 06, 07:21 AM
"Rob Morley" > wrote in message
t...
In article >
Lee > wrote:

> "Alan Braggins" > wrote in message
> <snip
<snip

> > As far as I'm concerned, anyone who can sustain 25mph on the flat on a
> > £90 mountain bike is race (or at least speed) oriented....
>
> Well Alan i am using a very optomistic `Raleigh` cycle computer !!!!!!!!
> ;-)

Any cycle computer should be pretty accurate if properly calibrated -
all it does is time the duration of a wheel rotation and perform some
simple arithmetic using the wheel circumference.

I`ve never thought of cycle computers being that accurate actually Rob.....i
suppose i was brought up with the original wire linked type that came out
after the counter `trip meter`, if you remember them that is...... you had
to set the magnet to the diameter of the wheel and it was all very hit and
miss with around 10% error figures....a bit like chinese scooter
speedo`s.......the speed reading looked good made you feel good but got you
there no quicker. ;-)

Lee......

Lee
July 7th 06, 07:27 AM
"the.Mark" > wrote in message
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Ordinary mortals cannot sustain 25mph on the flat on a flat
> > barred bike for very long.
>
> I was cruising along a bus lane to work this morning. I don't know
> what speed I was doing but I was keeping up with the traffic. Up ahead
> was a car parked in the bus lane, so my options were slow down and
> move in behind the car beside me or speed up and get in front. I went
> for the latter and when I passed the parked car I glanced at the
> computer and was surprised to see it was 31.2 mph. That was on my Rock
> hopper.

Snap!!!!....been there.......there are times when that bit extra is
useful....the wind isn`t always in your face is it??

> Ok, the trip to work isn't very far and I do like to push my self.

I like to push myself, then need a lo-o-o-ng rest !!! :-)

Lee.....

> --
> Cheers
> the.Mark

Eiron
July 7th 06, 07:13 PM
Lee wrote:

> I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything and
> more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past two
> years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to have
> several breaks over a 5 mile trip....

So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
You must have some interesting medical conditions!

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Lee
July 8th 06, 06:12 AM
"Eiron" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:
>
> > I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything
and
> > more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past
two
> > years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to
have
> > several breaks over a 5 mile trip....
>
> So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
> You must have some interesting medical conditions!

Troll!!!!!!......

Lee......

> --
> Eiron
>
> No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Eiron
July 8th 06, 11:01 AM
Lee wrote:

> "Eiron" > wrote in message
>
>>Lee wrote:
>>

>>>I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything
>
> and
>
>>>more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past
>
> two
>
>>>years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to
>
> have
>
>>>several breaks over a 5 mile trip....
>>
>>So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
>>You must have some interesting medical conditions!
>

> Troll!!!!!!......

No trolls here. It's just not normal that anyone can do 25mph on a level road
yet can't do 5 miles without stopping several times. Perhaps you should slow
down a bit and do it in one go to develop endurance, and calibrate your speedo.

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Rob Morley
July 8th 06, 11:40 AM
In article >
Lee > wrote:

> "Eiron" > wrote in message
> > Lee wrote:
> >
> > > I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything
> and
> > > more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past
> two
> > > years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to
> have
> > > several breaks over a 5 mile trip....
> >
> > So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
> > You must have some interesting medical conditions!
>
> Troll!!!!!!......

Is that an admission?

Rob Morley
July 8th 06, 11:40 AM
In article >
Lee > wrote:

> "Eiron" > wrote in message
> > Lee wrote:
> >
> > > I have bought the `301` and am very impressed with it, it`s everything
> and
> > > more than i expected: i have only been back into cycling for the past
> two
> > > years and am still toning up my muscles and endurance so that i have to
> have
> > > several breaks over a 5 mile trip....
> >
> > So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5 miles.
> > You must have some interesting medical conditions!
>
> Troll!!!!!!......

Is that an admission?

Lee
July 8th 06, 02:30 PM
"Rob Morley" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >
> Lee > wrote:

> > and
> > two
> > have
> > >
> > > So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5
miles.
> > > You must have some interesting medical conditions!
> >
> > Troll!!!!!!......
> >
> Is that an admission?

Heh heh........

Lee
July 8th 06, 02:30 PM
"Rob Morley" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >
> Lee > wrote:

> > and
> > two
> > have
> > >
> > > So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5
miles.
> > > You must have some interesting medical conditions!
> >
> > Troll!!!!!!......
> >
> Is that an admission?

Heh heh........

Lee
July 8th 06, 02:37 PM
"Eiron" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:

> > and

> > two

> > have

> >>So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5
miles.
> >>You must have some interesting medical conditions!
> >

> > Troll!!!!!!......
>
> No trolls here. It's just not normal that anyone can do 25mph on a level
road
> yet can't do 5 miles without stopping several times. Perhaps you should
slow
> down a bit and do it in one go to develop endurance, and calibrate your
speedo.

Your previous posting was a bit iffy but you`re probably right, i do need to
slow down a bit, after all, i`m not a teenager any more and i have left off
cycling for quite a few years....also, if you have been following the
threads, you will have seen my admission about having an old optomistic
cycle computer, read 25mph as 15/25mph!!!....

Lee.....

"Eiron" > wrote in message
> Lee wrote:

> > and

> > two

> > have

> >>So you can pedal at 25mph on the flat but need several breaks in 5
miles.
> >>You must have some interesting medical conditions!
> >

> > Troll!!!!!!......
>
> No trolls here. It's just not normal that anyone can do 25mph on a level
road
> yet can't do 5 miles without stopping several times. Perhaps you should
slow
> down a bit and do it in one go to develop endurance, and calibrate your
speedo.

Your previous posting was a bit iffy but you`re probably right, i do need to
slow down a bit, after all, i`m not a teenager any more and i have left off
cycling for quite a few years....also, if you have been following the
threads, you will have seen my admission about having an old optomistic
cycle computer, read 25mph as 15/25mph!!!....

Lee.....

> --
> Eiron
>
> No good deed ever goes unpunished.