PDA

View Full Version : Rest period before a ride ?

Brian Day
July 5th 06, 08:41 AM
Have a 58 mile ride on Sunday, when should my last training day be ? I have
been doing
approx 20 to 30 miles (averaging 16.4 mph)
every 2 to 3 days, and i'm going out tonight for approx 25 miler.
I don't wan't to overdo it - so should i make tonight my last day.
or should i put in some light work at the weekend.

Thanks

Brian Day

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 5th 06, 11:23 AM
"Brian Day" >typed

> Have a 58 mile ride on Sunday, when should my last training day be ? I have
> been doing
> approx 20 to 30 miles (averaging 16.4 mph)
> every 2 to 3 days, and i'm going out tonight for approx 25 miler.
> I don't wan't to overdo it - so should i make tonight my last day.
> or should i put in some light work at the weekend.

> Thanks

> Brian Day

Suggest 48 hours off bike before major ride (but 58 miles doesn't seem
*that* far...)

If you cycle gently to the ride's start, you will be warmed up and would
be unlikely to discover you have two left shoes, as a driver friend
did...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Steph Peters
July 5th 06, 10:34 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht > of wrote:
>Suggest 48 hours off bike before major ride (but 58 miles doesn't seem
>*that* far...)
Rather depends what the rider is used to. It took Audrey and I about 6
months last year to work up to that kind of distance, and this year we
haven't got further than about 35 miles. Our prep routine for the big ride
was a 15 mile pootle after work on Friday night followed by Saturday off
then the ride on Sunday. Seemed to work well.

And good luck with your ride Brian, have fun.
--
Steph Peters
Chorlton Wanderers Cycling Group

Brian Day
July 5th 06, 10:41 PM
"del" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday 05 Jul 2006 08:41 Brian Day, wrote:
>
>> Have a 58 mile ride on Sunday, when should my last training day be ? I
>> have been doing
>> approx 20 to 30 miles (averaging 16.4 mph)
>> every 2 to 3 days, and i'm going out tonight for approx 25 miler.
>> I don't wan't to overdo it - so should i make tonight my last day.
>> or should i put in some light work at the weekend.
>
> Sounds like you could be doing London to Southend?
> Keep as you are until Saturday and then just a light spin, slower than
> normal speed but keep the cadence up, for maybe 10 miles.
> YMMV!
> --
> del 8-)
Fine, rest it is then ! Did exactly 40 miles tonight in 2hrs 32, Average
15.79 mph,
Covered Runwell, to Blackmore to Great Baddow and back.
So i was fairly pleased. (even happier with the footie result).
And yes, it's London to Southend on Sunday.

Thanks for all your replies,

Brian Day

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home