PDA

View Full Version : Best Shortwave Antenna for Cycling ?

ex_cathedra
March 30th 04, 12:29 AM
It's yer bike !
Believe it or not.
I had this junky transistor styled shortwave radio
that hardly picked up any stations.

I also had a hard time picking up even FM in some places out here due
to the terrain.
One bike radio(am/fm/headlight) I tried had a wire coming out from
it.
And when it got near the bike,the radio went dead.
So for FM your bike is a signal killer.

So just goofing around today I clipped a wire to my bike....(to the
reflector bracket) and this shortwave radio worked GREAT!

I rode around to all the places I had problems with FM even.
And the shortwave stations were really loud and clear.

I'm just sayin....
Whooda thunk a bike is a perfect shortwave antenna?

Thank God I don't have to listen to Clearchannel anymore !

Red Cloud
April 20th 04, 07:20 AM
(ex_cathedra) wrote in message >...

Listening to radio while on bicycle is against law!
Didn't you know that it is violation of vehical code to
listen to radio by wearing earphone! Yes it's traffic violation!
Be careful!

> It's yer bike !
> Believe it or not.
> I had this junky transistor styled shortwave radio
> that hardly picked up any stations.
>
> I also had a hard time picking up even FM in some places out here due

Max
April 20th 04, 11:47 AM
In article >,
(Red Cloud) wrote:

> (ex_cathedra) wrote in message

Ex?? Aren't you supposed to be fomenting revolution or something?
(have you listened in on WNTD yet?)

> Listening to radio while on bicycle is against law!

CITE!

> Didn't you know that it is violation of vehical code to
> listen to radio by wearing earphone! Yes it's traffic violation!
> Be careful!

Listening to radio != wearing headphones.

..max

--
the part of >
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Telamon
April 21st 04, 04:23 AM
In article >,
Max > wrote:

> In article >,
> (Red Cloud) wrote:
>
> > (ex_cathedra) wrote in message
>
> Ex?? Aren't you supposed to be fomenting revolution or something?
> (have you listened in on WNTD yet?)
>
> > Listening to radio while on bicycle is against law!
>
> CITE!

I "CITE" common sense.

If you are on a public roadway you have to follow the local rules.
Chance are you will be OK using one earphone with the other one able to
hear car horns, warning shouts or emergency sirens.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Max
April 21st 04, 06:48 AM
Telamon > wrote:

> Max > wrote:
>
> > (Red Cloud) wrote:
>
> > > Listening to radio while on bicycle is against law!
> >
> > CITE!
>
> I "CITE" common sense.
>
> If you are on a public roadway you have to follow the local rules.
> Chance are you will be OK using one earphone with the other one able to
> hear car horns, warning shouts or emergency sirens.

So listening to radio on bicycle is not against law...

glad to see you agree. :-)

..max

--
the part of >
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

S o r n i
April 21st 04, 06:53 AM
Max wrote:
> Telamon > wrote:
>>
>> Max > wrote:

>>> CITE!
>>
>> I "CITE" common sense.
>>
>> If you are on a public roadway you have to follow the local rules.
>> Chance are you will be OK using one earphone with the other one able
>> to hear car horns, warning shouts or emergency sirens.
>
> So listening to radio on bicycle is not against law...
>
> glad to see you agree. :-)

Is Red Cloud Troll the same person as Telamon?

Bill "tell a man, mon" S.

longwave
April 21st 04, 07:53 AM
Max wrote:

> Telamon > wrote:
> >
> > Max > wrote:

> > > CITE!
> >
> > I "CITE" common sense.
> >
> > If you are on a public roadway you have to follow the local rules.
> > Chance are you will be OK using one earphone with the other one able to
> > hear car horns, warning shouts or emergency sirens.
>
> So listening to radio on bicycle is not against law...
>
> glad to see you agree. :-)
>
> .max

Most states prohibit the use of headphones which cover both ears, while
riding a bicycle or driving a vehicle.

Telamon
April 21st 04, 08:42 AM
In article >,
"S o r n i" > wrote:

> Max wrote:
> > Telamon > wrote:

> >> I "CITE" common sense.
> >>
> >> If you are on a public roadway you have to follow the local rules.
> >> Chance are you will be OK using one earphone with the other one able
> >> to hear car horns, warning shouts or emergency sirens.
> >
> > So listening to radio on bicycle is not against law...
> >
> > glad to see you agree. :-)
>
> Is Red Cloud Troll the same person as Telamon?
>
> Bill "tell a man, mon" S.

No. I don't play the sock puppet games.

If you are looking for a clue to my handle look at the "Organization"
field.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

S o r n i
April 21st 04, 08:49 AM
Telamon wrote:
> In article >,
> "S o r n i" > wrote:
>
>> Max wrote:

>>> So listening to radio on bicycle is not against law...
>>>
>>> glad to see you agree. :-)
>>
>> Is Red Cloud Troll the same person as Telamon?
>>
>> Bill "tell a man, mon" S.
>

> No. I don't play the sock puppet games.
>
> If you are looking for a clue to my handle look at the "Organization"
> field.

So "Max" asked Red Troll to cite, and you answered as if he were challenging
you.

Then he replied as if RC had indeed posted the remarks. (Never really
thought you and he were one, btw.)

It's all clear now :)

Bill "CLOUDY INDEED" S.

Beloved Leader
April 21st 04, 03:59 PM
(ex_cathedra) wrote in message >...

> I'm just sayin....
> Whooda thunk a bike is a perfect shortwave antenna?

Finally! A use for all those junky bicycles with the bent frames I've
got littering the basement. And to think I was going to repair them
"any day now."

Max
April 21st 04, 06:54 PM
In article >,
"S o r n i" > wrote:

> So "Max" asked Red Troll to cite, and you answered as if he were challenging
> you.
>
> Then he replied as if RC had indeed posted the remarks. (Never really
> thought you and he were one, btw.)

</robert terwilliger voice> Guilty as charged. </voice>

i dorked up the >> >stuff attempting to trim post down to one screen.

..max

--
the part of >
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Sorni
April 21st 04, 07:24 PM
Max wrote:
> In article >,
> "S o r n i" > wrote:
>
>> So "Max" asked Red Troll to cite, and you answered as if he were
>> challenging you.
>>
>> Then he replied as if RC had indeed posted the remarks. (Never
>> really thought you and he were one, btw.)
>

> </robert terwilliger voice> Guilty as charged. </voice>
>
> i dorked up the >> >stuff attempting to trim post down to one screen.

Ah. Sideshow Bob would approve :)

My server's been dropping posts ever since "MSG" (sic) impersonated me, so
I've got no clue WTH's goin' on anyway...

Bill "Red Clown Funny" S.

Red Cloud
April 21st 04, 07:58 PM
longwave > wrote in message >...
> Max wrote:
> >

> Most states prohibit the use of headphones which cover both ears, while
> riding a bicycle or driving a vehicle.

It's ineffective law. Most bikers around do listen to headset
while on bike except neo-nazi Uncle Sam.

Red Cloud
April 21st 04, 08:02 PM
longwave > wrote in message >...
> Max wrote:
> >
> > Telamon > wrote:

> > > I "CITE" common sense.
> > >
> > > If you are on a public roadway you have to follow the local rules.
> > > Chance are you will be OK using one earphone with the other one able to
> > > hear car horns, warning shouts or emergency sirens.
> >
> > So listening to radio on bicycle is not against law...
> >
> > glad to see you agree. :-)
> >
> > .max
>
> Most states prohibit the use of headphones which cover both ears, while
> riding a bicycle or driving a vehicle.

That makes sesnse so we can play Rap music as loud as possible with
2K watt speakers that you can't even hear what next person is saying.
Never mind listening to the traffic noise.

ex_cathedra
May 16th 04, 02:06 AM
Max > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (Red Cloud) wrote:
>
> > (ex_cathedra) wrote in message
>
> Ex?? Aren't you supposed to be fomenting revolution or something?
> (have you listened in on WNTD yet?)

I still am =)
This is a revolution in shortwave listening!
It's a revolution of free speech !
It's a well of alternative thinking!

But no....no WNTD that I recall (Though I mighta) whats the frequency
and time slot?

> > Listening to radio while on bicycle is against law!
>
> CITE!
>
> > Didn't you know that it is violation of vehical code to
> > listen to radio by wearing earphone! Yes it's traffic violation!
> > Be careful!
>
> Listening to radio != wearing headphones.

Not always...
=-)~

> .max

Frank Dresser
May 16th 04, 03:26 AM
"ex_cathedra" > wrote in message
om...

> I still am =)
> This is a revolution in shortwave listening!
> It's a revolution of free speech !
> It's a well of alternative thinking!
>
> But no....no WNTD that I recall (Though I mighta) whats the frequency
> and time slot?

WNTD was Air America's outlet in Chicago. It's still listed on Air
America's seldom updated "Press Room" page, although Air America and WNTD
split more than a couple of weeks ago.

http://airamericaradio.com/pub/resPressReleases.htm

There's no indication Air America will be returning to either Chicago or Los
Angeles. In fact, Air America has recently dismissed their advertising
staffs in those cities.

Frank Dresser

ex_cathedra
May 21st 04, 09:54 AM
"Frank Dresser" > wrote in message >...
> "ex_cathedra" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > I still am =)
> > This is a revolution in shortwave listening!
> > It's a revolution of free speech !
> > It's a well of alternative thinking!
> >
> > But no....no WNTD that I recall (Though I mighta) whats the frequency
> > and time slot?
> >

> WNTD was Air America's outlet in Chicago. It's still listed on Air
> America's seldom updated "Press Room" page, although Air America and WNTD
> split more than a couple of weeks ago.
>
> http://airamericaradio.com/pub/resPressReleases.htm
>
> There's no indication Air America will be returning to either Chicago or Los
> Angeles. In fact, Air America has recently dismissed their advertising
> staffs in those cities.
>
> Frank Dresser

Yeah...I tried to tune in one day to see what the fake left had to
say.
(The extreme left and extreme right are controlled by the same
people)
nd they were gone already.
From what I heard it was pretty bad.
Another good example of the fake left is Micheal Moore...
ALEX JONES' 911: THE ROAD TO TYRANNY MAKE THE NY POST'S PAGE SIX
GOSSIP COLUMN
NY POST: MICHAEL Moore 's anti-Bush film "Fahrenheit 9/11" isn't even
original. Two years ago, "9/11: The Road to Tyranny," a real
documentary by Alex Jones , had most of the "facts" Moore uses in his
scatter-shot diatribe. Jones, who is less interested in making money
than the self-aggrandizing Moore, released his film for free on his
Web site www.infowars.com, where it drew legions of new fans,
including producer Curt Johnson , who is hiring Jones as a consultant
on a political action thriller titled "Wake Up."

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home