PDA

View Full Version : Bonking and food for a ride

Sandy Christmus
July 18th 03, 03:13 AM
OK, I know it's not a huge ride for some of you all, but I took a 36
mile ride this morning. The temp was in the 80's by the end of the ride
(9-11AM). It's my longest ride since I started riding about 4 months
ago. The last 3 miles or so weren't pretty. I didn't break down crying
on the side of the road, but I sure coasted a lot and VERY slowly made
it up a hill I usually take at about 15-16mph. I think I bonked, I'm
not quite sure. My question is: Should I have taken along food for
this length ride? I drank lots of water, but no electrolyte
replacement. Should I have replaced my 'lytes? I had bowl of cereal
for breakfast which contained about 30g of carbohydrates. Maybe
mistakenly, I thought that was enough.

What should I do in the future to help me make a ride of this length.
Am I just not ready for this ride, yet?

Thanks for the help.

Sandy

Tom Keats
July 18th 03, 07:48 AM
In article >,
Gary Smiley > writes:
> It seems that whatever I eat before a ride will be "burnt off" after about
> an hour or so.

I'm good for 20 miles on one cup of cooked oatmeal before I
start feeling peckish again. I guess that means I get
400 MPG (Imperial gallons). Of course, my fuel usually has
additives. Lately it's been dried currants (I've also been
on an oatmeal & currant scone-making kick lately).

> Generally, I eat a snack once an hour. Usually an energy bar,
> or some cake, cookies, fruit, etc. I can actually feel myself getting energy
> from it, and I can I can feel my energy running out after about an hour.
> You probably should have stopped for a snack around half-way through the
> ride.

Ah, the joys of urban riding, and the convenience of popping into
a nearby deli, bakery or grocery store as the mood suits. Not to
mention chasing down ice cream trucks :-)

cheers,
Tom