PDA

View Full Version : New bike advice

Darth.
August 1st 06, 02:43 PM
I've been commiting for a couple of years on a Specialized Sirrus, as
well as doing some longer rides at weekends (typically 70-90 miles). I
also did the Dynamo this year on it.

My work has just put in place the "bike to work" initiative with
provider Cycle Scheme, so I thought I'd take advantage and get another
bike. I'll still use the Sirrus for winter commutes to work but I
wanted something a bit more fun for sunnier days and weekend rides.

What I'm looking for is something lighter and faster than the current
model as I'm finding the Sirrus a bit heavy. I'm most likely to use it
for commuting, light touring, next year's Dynamo, etc. My price
limit's probably around £1,500. Does anyone have any recommendations
about what I should go for? I've been looking at some of the Condor
bikes and they look great. Are they?

Darth.

Vivian
August 1st 06, 07:47 PM
"Nigel Cliffe" > wrote in message

> So, assuming the revenue look here occaisionally, or if someone chooses to
> shop you, you propose to commit a crime and evade taxes ? Read the rules
> of the bike to work schemes about using the bike for commuting or work
> journeys.

Nobody can prove that the bike is for cummuting. I almost bought another
bike on the scheme, but I didn't want to commit.

As for what bike to buy, how about the Specialized Tricross. Not only it's a
beauty, but it's like a road bike with off road tyres, double brakes,
perfect!! If I had the 700 quite required to buy it, it would be mine
already!

--
Vivian
-------

Darth.
August 1st 06, 08:28 PM
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Darth. wrote:
> > My work has just put in place the "bike to work" initiative with
> > provider Cycle Scheme, so I thought I'd take advantage and get another
> > bike. I'll still use the Sirrus for winter commutes to work but I
> > wanted something a bit more fun for sunnier days and weekend rides.
>
> So, assuming the revenue look here occaisionally, or if someone chooses to
> shop you, you propose to commit a crime and evade taxes ? Read the rules
> of the bike to work schemes about using the bike for commuting or work
> journeys.

Sorry, I should have explained myself more clearly - the new bike will
be used for commuting on sunny days, but I'll keep the old one for
hacking through smog filled London streets in the rain and sleet.

> --
> Nigel Cliffe,
> Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Darth.

Tim Forcer
August 2nd 06, 08:51 AM
On 1 Aug 2006 06:43 Darth wrote:

> ... My work has just put in place the "bike to work" initiative
> ... My price limit's probably around £1,500.

My advice is to check the small print of the scheme before proceeding.

The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
suitable for a wider range of options.

I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.

--
Tim Forcer
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

David Martin
August 2nd 06, 09:21 AM
Tim Forcer wrote:

> The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
> had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
> modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
> suitable for a wider range of options.
>
> I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
> imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.

The 1000 pounds limit is not an absolute. In order for this deal to
take place there must be a consumer credit act license held by the
employer. They can participate on the basis of a general government one
which has a credit limit of 1000 GBP or they can get their own and run
at whatever limit they wish. Most opt for the government one as they
are generally non cyclists who can't understand why anyone would pay
that much for a bike..

...d

Peter Clinch
August 2nd 06, 09:52 AM
David Martin wrote:

> The 1000 pounds limit is not an absolute. In order for this deal to
> take place there must be a consumer credit act license held by the
> employer. They can participate on the basis of a general government one
> which has a credit limit of 1000 GBP or they can get their own and run
> at whatever limit they wish. Most opt for the government one as they
> are generally non cyclists who can't understand why anyone would pay
> that much for a bike..

To be fair, I think most of them quite possibly opt for the government
one because it involves a minimum of paperwork, time and associated
up-front cost :-(

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Simon Brooke
August 2nd 06, 10:06 AM
in message >, Nigel Cliffe
') wrote:

> Darth. wrote:
>> I've been commiting for a couple of years on a Specialized Sirrus, as
>> well as doing some longer rides at weekends (typically 70-90 miles).
>> I also did the Dynamo this year on it.
>>
>> My work has just put in place the "bike to work" initiative with
>> provider Cycle Scheme, so I thought I'd take advantage and get another
>> bike. I'll still use the Sirrus for winter commutes to work but I
>> wanted something a bit more fun for sunnier days and weekend rides.
>
> So, assuming the revenue look here occaisionally, or if someone chooses
> shop you, you propose to commit a crime and evade taxes ? Read the
> rules of the bike to work schemes about using the bike for commuting or
> work journeys.

If he uses the bike 'mainly' for summer commutes to work he isn't
committing a crime or evading taxes.

Get a grip.

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock

Simon Brooke
August 2nd 06, 10:07 AM
in message >, Tim Forcer
') wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2006 06:43 Darth wrote:
>>
>> ... My work has just put in place the "bike to work" initiative
>> ... My price limit's probably around £1,500.
>
> My advice is to check the small print of the scheme before proceeding.
>
> The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
> had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
> modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
> suitable for a wider range of options.
>
> I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
> imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.

There was no limit set by the taxman in year 1 of the scheme.

;; I can't work yanks out......
;; Why do they frown upon sex yet relish violence?
;; Deep Fried Lettuce

Tony Raven
August 2nd 06, 11:01 AM
Tim Forcer wrote on 02/08/2006 08:51 +0100:
> On 1 Aug 2006 06:43 Darth wrote:
>> ... My work has just put in place the "bike to work" initiative
>> ... My price limit's probably around £1,500.
>
> My advice is to check the small print of the scheme before proceeding.
>
> The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
> had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
> modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
> suitable for a wider range of options.
>
> I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
> imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.

As I understand it £1000 is the limit at which the employer needs to
apply for a consumer credit license to run the scheme hence the limit.
OTOH you can always pay the extra to the bike shop as I did.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci

Ian Smith
August 2nd 06, 01:13 PM
On Wed, 02 Aug, Simon Brooke > wrote:

> There was no limit set by the taxman in year 1 of the scheme.

Sort of. There's been no limit set by the taxman at any time.

Other parts of government have set a de-facto limit of 1000, unless
the organisation decided to take out it's own credit licence.

At the start of the scheme the left hand didn't tell the right hand
and there was no published limit. Then the right hand noticed what
the left hand had done and squashed the scheme entirely (0gbp limit
without a licence). At this point it was the right hand's opinion
that teh scheme should always have had a 0gbp maximum limit.
Currently the left hand has evaded the right hand by taking out a
licence that covers anyone in the UK participating in such a scheme.
Expect the right hand to do something soon.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith
August 2nd 06, 01:17 PM
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 19:06:01 +0100, Nigel Cliffe > wrote:
> Darth. wrote:

> > bike. I'll still use the Sirrus for winter commutes to work but I
> > wanted something a bit more fun for sunnier days and weekend rides.
>
> So, assuming the revenue look here occaisionally, or if someone chooses to
> shop you, you propose to commit a crime and evade taxes ? Read the rules
> of the bike to work schemes about using the bike for commuting or work
> journeys.

Have you tried taking your own advice?

Nothing in what he's said suggests contravening the rules.

If he rides it part-way to work just two days a week in the sunnier 6
months of the year, that usage is enough to cover a day-long
recreational ride every single weekend of the year.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Darth.
August 2nd 06, 01:54 PM
David Martin wrote:
> Tim Forcer wrote:
>
> > The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
> > had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
> > modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
> > suitable for a wider range of options.
> >
> > I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
> > imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.
>
> The 1000 pounds limit is not an absolute. In order for this deal to
> take place there must be a consumer credit act license held by the
> employer. They can participate on the basis of a general government one
> which has a credit limit of 1000 GBP or they can get their own and run
> at whatever limit they wish. Most opt for the government one as they
> are generally non cyclists who can't understand why anyone would pay
> that much for a bike..
>
> ..d

Fortunately, I have an enlightened employer and I work with lots of
other cyclists, so we're currently in the process of applying for a
consumer credit licence. Should take around 4 weeks and then I'm free
to spend up to my max of £1500 (ie £700-800 in actual cost to me).

Darth.

Tim Forcer
August 2nd 06, 04:52 PM
On 2 Aug 2006 05:54 Darth wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>>
>> Tim Forcer wrote:
>>>
>>> The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
>>> had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
>>> modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
>>> suitable for a wider range of options.
>>>
>>> I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
>>> imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.
>>
>> The 1000 pounds limit is not an absolute. In order for this deal to
>> take place there must be a consumer credit act license held by
>> the employer. They can participate on the basis of a general
>> government one which has a credit limit of 1000 GBP or they
>> can get their own and run at whatever limit they wish. Most
>> opt for the government one as they are generally non cyclists
>> who can't understand why anyone would pay that much for
>> a bike..
>
> Fortunately, I have an enlightened employer and I work with
> lots of other cyclists, so we're currently in the process of
> applying for a consumer credit licence. Should take around
> 4 weeks and then I'm free to spend up to my max of £1500
> (ie £700-800 in actual cost to me).

That's excellent news.

Other employers please take note!

--
Tim Forcer
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

Darth.
August 2nd 06, 05:13 PM
Tim Forcer wrote:

> That's excellent news.
>
> Other employers please take note!
>
> --
> Tim Forcer
> The University of Southampton, UK

So back to the original question - what bikes should I be considering?
Someone at work recommended a Felt F55, but it seems more of an out and
out racing bike and I'm not sure how well it'll take to having panniers
on the back! Is condor the way to go?

Darth.

Dave Larrington
August 2nd 06, 07:39 PM
In article m>,
says...

> Tim Forcer wrote:
>
> > The short-lived Halfords arrangement here at Southampton University
> > had a limit of 1000 pounds. Fine for a bike used purely to commute
> > modest distances, not enough if one was after something special or
> > suitable for a wider range of options.
> >
> > I can't remember if the limit was a feature of Halfords' scheme,
> > imposed by the University, or set by the taxman.
>
> The 1000 pounds limit is not an absolute. In order for this deal to
> take place there must be a consumer credit act license held by the
> employer. They can participate on the basis of a general government one
> which has a credit limit of 1000 GBP or they can get their own and run
> at whatever limit they wish. Most opt for the government one as they
> are generally non cyclists who can't understand why anyone would pay
> that much for a bike..

New Employers are running such a scheme too, with a thousand quid limit,
but they say there's nowt to stop one from making up the difference
should one wish to spend more.

Alas, I had already ordered all the bits of the new fixer - not that I
believe that Halfrauds could supply a Cotic RoadRat frame anyway -
before I started there, and there's not really anything else I want at
the moment. Nor even a Brompton.

Though I /did/ find myself drooling over pictures of penny-farthings
yesterday. I wonder if Halfrauds...

The elder stoat leads, in all circumstances.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home