PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale

Kevin
August 3rd 06, 03:31 PM
Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?

Kevin

Clive George
August 3rd 06, 03:36 PM
"Kevin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?

www.cannondale.com would be a good place to go to find out what they sell.

In general, a well respected quality bike maker.

I think they don't like people selling their bikes mail order.

There was a bit of financial trouble a couple of years ago caused by a
cockup with going into the motorbike business, but that doesn't seem to have
affected the bike side of things.

Simon will be along in a while to tell you they're great.

cheers,
clive

Arthur Clune
August 3rd 06, 03:44 PM
Kevin wrote:
> Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?

Yes. They make bikes.

Now care to be more specific?

--
Arthur Clune

Kevin
August 3rd 06, 05:10 PM
Arthur Clune wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?
>
> Yes. They make bikes.
>
> Now care to be more specific?
>
> --
> Arthur Clune

Yes, I gathered that they made bikes, I deduced that from
http://www.thaicannasia.com/index.php

I suppose what I'd like to know are they going to be some hype
expensive Rolls Royce of a bike or are they ****e.

Don't bother replying if it is too much trouble.

Kevin

Arthur Clune
August 3rd 06, 05:17 PM
Kevin wrote:

> I suppose what I'd like to know are they going to be some hype
> expensive Rolls Royce of a bike or are they ****e.

The question is too vague though. What do you want a bike to
do? How much do you have to spend?

Given that, then we can give some useful answers.

--
Arthur Clune

Paul Boyd
August 3rd 06, 06:00 PM
On 03/08/2006 17:10, Kevin said,

> I suppose what I'd like to know are they going to be some hype
> expensive Rolls Royce of a bike or are they ****e.

I think Arthur's point, although perhaps badly phrased, was what are you
looking for? Cannondale mountain bikes are good - one of the better
brands, but I haven't a clue what their road bikes are like compared to
other manufacturers. Have a look at reviews - I'm sure that if you type
"cannondale review" into google, you'll be inundated. Also have a look
at the various magazine websites, or perhaps pop into Smiths and buy a
few appropriate magazines. See, I can't even give you sites or names of
magazines because you don't say whether you want Road or MTB.

If you can tell us what sort of bike you are looking for, and what sort
of riding (pootling along a towpath, or hammering downhill offroad at
40mph), we can give you more help.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Nigel Cliffe
August 3rd 06, 06:28 PM
Kevin wrote:
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>> Kevin wrote:
>>> Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?
>>
>> Yes. They make bikes.
>>
>> Now care to be more specific?
>>
>> --
>> Arthur Clune
>
> Yes, I gathered that they made bikes, I deduced that from
> http://www.thaicannasia.com/index.php
>
> I suppose what I'd like to know are they going to be some hype
> expensive Rolls Royce of a bike or are they ****e.

They don't make cheap rubbish bikes.

Whether their bikes are "stupidly expensive" or "quality products where you
have to pay for quality" depends on your point of view.

And you need to be a bit more specific about "which sort of bike" and "how
much money". AFAIK, Cannondale sell bikes from circa £600 to more than £2500
at UK retail prices, and cover mountain bikes (with and without rear
suspension), road racing bikes, touring bikes, tandems, "urban" flat-bar
bikes.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Kevin
August 3rd 06, 07:48 PM
"Nigel Cliffe" > wrote in message
> Kevin wrote:
>> Arthur Clune wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. They make bikes.
>>>
>>> Now care to be more specific?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Arthur Clune
>>
>> Yes, I gathered that they made bikes, I deduced that from
>> http://www.thaicannasia.com/index.php
>>
>> I suppose what I'd like to know are they going to be some hype
>> expensive Rolls Royce of a bike or are they ****e.
>
> They don't make cheap rubbish bikes.
>
> Whether their bikes are "stupidly expensive" or "quality products where
> you have to pay for quality" depends on your point of view.
>
> And you need to be a bit more specific about "which sort of bike" and "how
> much money". AFAIK, Cannondale sell bikes from circa £600 to more than
> £2500 at UK retail prices, and cover mountain bikes (with and without rear
> suspension), road racing bikes, touring bikes, tandems, "urban" flat-bar
> bikes.
>

> - Nigel
>
> --
> Nigel Cliffe,
> Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/
I had no idea that asking about a manufacturer of bikes was such a problem.
Now if somebody said what are Ford like or BMW or Rolls Royce, generally
speaking, that it would be necesary to say that I wanted a 6 cylinder,
direct injection, naturally aspirated diesel, 4 seat, 5 door, 2 wheel drive,
hatch back, red colour, black interior, beige carpets and brown seats before
I got an opinion.
I am looking for a mountain bike, to be purchased in Thailand for use on
holiday, on paved roads, unmade roads, off road but nothing too heavy,
price, I have absolutely no idea of the price ranges in Thailand. I have no
idea how much a BMW is in Thailand but I still know that it is a relatively
expensive, high quality car and that a Vauxhall would be ****e.
How much would I spend. Well if it was high quality, last a life time
(bearing in mind it would only get a few weeks use a year), then I guess
£400-£500 (taking into account price comparisons with the UK) but if it was
cheap ****e that would only last one holiday the I guess I would only spend
£25.
Now what are Cannondale like as a manufacturer? On second thoughts I think
I'll buy a motor bike. Thanks for all your help anyway.

Kevin

Paul Boyd
August 3rd 06, 07:57 PM
On 03/08/2006 19:48, Kevin said,

> Now what are Cannondale like as a manufacturer? On second thoughts I think
> I'll buy a motor bike. Thanks for all your help anyway.

Some people just don't want to be helped. Oh well...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

August 3rd 06, 09:49 PM
Kevin wrote:
> Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?

They made the first practically priced, oversized welded aluminum
frames beginning in 1983. The early bikes "borrowed" heavily from Gary
Klein's work and were pretty conservatively designed.

Over the years, they have become increasingly gimmicky and "market
driven". The aluminum racing frames have been dubbed "crackandfail" by
many riders. Draw your own conclusions.

Steve
August 3rd 06, 10:27 PM
On 3 Aug 2006 13:49:52 -0700, wrote:

> The aluminum racing frames have been dubbed "crackandfail" by
> many riders. Draw your own conclusions.

Objection M'lord, that term is also used about the mountain bike range!

They also use silly none standard parts.

Steve

August 3rd 06, 10:41 PM
Steve wrote:
> On 3 Aug 2006 13:49:52 -0700, wrote:
>
> > The aluminum racing frames have been dubbed "crackandfail" by
> > many riders. Draw your own conclusions.
>
> Objection M'lord, that term is also used about the mountain bike range!

Is it? Not surprising, really. But it is very common, IME, regarding
the CAAD_x_ racing frames.

> They also use silly none standard parts.

CODA, anyone? :-(

IMO, there is little to recommend Cannondale in today's market.

Brian
August 3rd 06, 11:15 PM
> I have no
> idea how much a BMW is in Thailand but I still know that it is a relatively
> expensive, high quality car and that a Vauxhall would be ****e.

That may be, but it a BMW would be useless if you want to get across
dodgy terrain or poorly maintained mountain roads. They're not robustly
built and fail at the drop of a hat, whereas a dodgy old Vauxhall might
be a "worse" car, but it'd do the job better (Old cars can be
jury-rigged when they break. Newer cars are much harder to do so).

Flippant remarks aside, it's not unreasonable to ask for intended
purpose before offering advice. I'd say the different uses of bikes is
probably more significant than on cars too.

rowman
August 4th 06, 08:26 AM
Kevin wrote:
> Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?
>
> Kevin

Their cycle shorts used to be excellent and very long lasting. I've
brought two pairs of their shorts this year and they are already falling
to bits.

Rich

Peter Clinch
August 4th 06, 08:38 AM
Kevin wrote:

> I had no idea that asking about a manufacturer of bikes was such a problem.
> Now if somebody said what are Ford like or BMW or Rolls Royce, generally
> speaking, that it would be necesary to say that I wanted a 6 cylinder,
> direct injection, naturally aspirated diesel, 4 seat, 5 door, 2 wheel drive,
> hatch back, red colour, black interior, beige carpets and brown seats before
> I got an opinion.

Think about that...

"What are Ford like as a motor manufacturer?"

The range of possible answers is *huge*. Ford make a staggering range
of vehicles with a huge range of prices. So while you don't need "6
cylinder, direct injection, naturally aspirated diesel, 4 seat, 5 door,
2 wheel drive, hatch back, red colour, black interior, beige carpets and
brown seats", saying you're interested in a diesel hatchback would
certainly be a lot more use to people answering than "a Ford". That
way, people that drive Ford 40 tonne articulated lorries for a living
are spared from answering, and so on.

> Now what are Cannondale like as a manufacturer? On second thoughts I think
> I'll buy a motor bike. Thanks for all your help anyway.

More like BMW than Ford, but then there are people who drive Fords
professionally for a lifetime and like them and people who think they're
****e and won't touch them with a barge-pole.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Arthur Clune
August 4th 06, 09:59 AM
Kevin wrote:

> How much would I spend. Well if it was high quality, last a life time
> (bearing in mind it would only get a few weeks use a year), then I guess
> ?400-?500 (taking into account price comparisons with the UK) but if it was
> cheap ****e that would only last one holiday the I guess I would only spend
> ?25.

Now we are getting somewhere. For that money, I wouldn't buy a Cannondale.

That'll buy you the bottom of their range, and to allow for the fact that
it will have a top quality frame the components will be cheaper. I don't
think it's a sensible trade off to buy a top end frame and put really cheap\
bits on. Others may thing differently.

--
Arthur Clune

Ambrose Nankivell
August 4th 06, 01:59 PM
Peter Clinch wrote:
> Kevin wrote:
>
>> I had no idea that asking about a manufacturer of bikes was such a
>> problem. Now if somebody said what are Ford like or BMW or Rolls
>> Royce, generally speaking, that it would be necesary to say that I
>> wanted a 6 cylinder, direct injection, naturally aspirated diesel, 4
>> seat, 5 door, 2 wheel drive, hatch back, red colour, black interior,
>> beige carpets and brown seats before I got an opinion.
>
> Think about that...
>
> "What are Ford like as a motor manufacturer?"

Nearly broke.

See, that one was easy.

Simon Brooke
August 5th 06, 07:25 PM
in message . com>, Kevin
') wrote:

> Can anybody tell me about this manufacturer?

The best aluminium frames in the world bar none. However, because they
spend so much on the frames, the finish kit on the bikes tends to be a
bit lower quality than on similarly priced bikes from other major
manufacturers; and, of course now that that carbon frames are widely
seen as generally better all round than aluminium, being the best
aluminium frames is no longer quite the cachet it once was. But they are
extraordinarily nice frames.

Disclaimer: I own one, and love it.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

Simon Brooke
August 5th 06, 10:57 PM
in message >, Kevin
') wrote:

> I had no idea that asking about a manufacturer of bikes was such a
> problem. Now if somebody said what are Ford like or BMW or Rolls Royce,
> generally speaking, that it would be necesary to say that I wanted a 6
> cylinder, direct injection, naturally aspirated diesel, 4 seat, 5 door,
> 2 wheel drive, hatch back, red colour, black interior, beige carpets
> and brown seats before I got an opinion.
> I am looking for a mountain bike, to be purchased in Thailand for use
> on holiday, on paved roads, unmade roads, off road but nothing too
> heavy, price, I have absolutely no idea of the price ranges in
> Thailand. I have no idea how much a BMW is in Thailand but I still know
> that it is a relatively expensive, high quality car and that a Vauxhall
> would be ****e. How much would I spend. Well if it was high quality,
> last a life time (bearing in mind it would only get a few weeks use a
> year), then I guess £400-£500 (taking into account price comparisons
> with the UK) but if it was cheap ****e that would only last one holiday
> the I guess I would only spend £25.

You wouldn't get a new Cannondale mountain bike for that money in any
market - they're one of the few manufacturers who genuinely do still
manufacture in the US, and the bikes will not be cheaper in the far east
(unless they are illegitimate clones, in which case beware).

Expect to pay £1,500 to £3,000 for a good Cannondale mountain bike. The
models to go for? If you're doing distance over rough ground, probably
the Rush series:
http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/06/ce/cats/mtn_ma_rush.html
or F series:
http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/06/ce/cats/mtn_xc_hardtail.html

Either way, if you want to take luggage, the best solution will be a
single wheel trailer like a Bob Yak. Cannondale's mountain bikes are not
designed to carry luggage.

> Now what are Cannondale like as a manufacturer? On second thoughts I
> think I'll buy a motor bike. Thanks for all your help anyway.

Like I've said elsewhere, the best aluminium frames made bar none, but,
unless you're spending serious money, the finish kit can be a bit iffy.

; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
; acquyntit with your Southeron
;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

Simon Brooke
August 5th 06, 11:00 PM
in message >, Peter Clinch
') wrote:

>> Now what are Cannondale like as a manufacturer? On second thoughts I
>> think I'll buy a motor bike. Thanks for all your help anyway.
>
> More like BMW than Ford, but then there are people who drive Fords
> professionally for a lifetime and like them and people who think
> they're ****e and won't touch them with a barge-pole.

More like Lotus than either. Brilliant, innovative chassis design and
engineering, but too often finished with bits out of half a dozen
different people's parts bins.

;; If God does not write LISP, God writes some code so similar to
;; LISP as to make no difference.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home