PDA

View Full Version : Replacement rear clip for chromoplastic mudguards?

Peter Boulton
August 10th 06, 10:22 AM
Hi,

I have chromoplastic mudguards like this:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/ChromoTec_Full_Length_Mudguards_2248.asp

The clip which fastens the rear mudguard to the axle of the rear brake
(which goes through the frame) has broken and I'm wondering whether it's
possible to just get a replacement clip, as buying a front and a back just
because of the clip seems very wasteful and ungreen (oh yes, and
expensive!).

Anyone know whether it's possible to just buy the clip and where?

TIA

Pete

Dave Larrington
August 10th 06, 10:42 AM
Peter Boulton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have chromoplastic mudguards like this:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/ChromoTec_Full_Length_Mudguards_2248.asp

> The clip which fastens the rear mudguard to the axle of the rear
> brake (which goes through the frame) has broken and I'm wondering
> whether it's possible to just get a replacement clip, as buying a
> front and a back just because of the clip seems very wasteful and
> ungreen (oh yes, and expensive!).
>
> Anyone know whether it's possible to just buy the clip and where?

It /is/ possible, coz I saw some earlier this week.

(Hunts through entire InterWeb)

Try Settle Cycles

<URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/list.asp?tid=271>

"Esge/SKS spare bridge", near the bottom, is, I think, what is required.
One of the BRITONS' pounds.

--
Dave Larrington
Barley, barley, barley, world cruise. You never see a farmer on

Dennis Davis
August 10th 06, 10:49 AM
In the referenced article, "Peter Boulton" > writes:
>Hi,
>
>I have chromoplastic mudguards like this:
>
>http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/ChromoTec_Full_Length_Mudguards_2248.asp
>
>The clip which fastens the rear mudguard to the axle of the rear
>brake (which goes through the frame) has broken and I'm wondering
>whether it's possible to just get a replacement clip, as buying a
>front and a back just because of the clip seems very wasteful and
>ungreen (oh yes, and expensive!).
>
>Anyone know whether it's possible to just buy the clip and where?

Try your local bike shop. I've certainly bought them locally from
Avon Valley Cycles and (I think) John's bikes. Make sure you get
one that's the correct size.

The rear mudguard clip is a known weakness. I've had several break.
It's almost worth having a few in stock.

As an alternative, try slipping a zip tie between the clip and
mudguard. Hook the zip tie round the brake bridge and used that to
keep the mudguard in place. The rear mudguard on my hybrid bike
has been fixed in place like this for the past few months. Don't
think I'll bother to look for a new replacement clip. Zip ties are
cheaper!
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK

David Nutter
August 10th 06, 11:43 AM
On 2006-08-10, Peter Boulton > wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have chromoplastic mudguards like this:
>
> http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/ChromoTec_Full_Length_Mudguards_2248.asp
>
> The clip which fastens the rear mudguard to the axle of the rear brake
> (which goes through the frame) has broken and I'm wondering whether it's
> possible to just get a replacement clip, as buying a front and a back just
> because of the clip seems very wasteful and ungreen (oh yes, and
> expensive!).
>
> Anyone know whether it's possible to just buy the clip and where?

Looking at the picture it appears the clip is just held on by rivets (rather
than the SKS "wraparound" clip). In which case, punch out the rivets and use
the holes to attach the mudguard to the brake bridge with a zip tie. This
has the added advantage that the guard will not squeak.

If it is a wraparound clip, you'll need to drill a couple of small holes for
the zip tie. I found it easiest to use g-clamps to hold a sacrificial block
of wood onto the underside of the mudguard to drill into.

Regards,

-david

Arthur Clune
August 10th 06, 11:55 AM
Dave Larrington wrote:

> <URL:http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/list.asp?tid=271>
>
> "Esge/SKS spare bridge", near the bottom, is, I think, what is required.
> One of the BRITONS' pounds.

My LBS has them in stock for a similar amount. So yes, easy to acquire.

Basically, they do tend to snap :(

--
Arthur Clune

Bronzie
August 10th 06, 01:50 PM
> As an alternative, try slipping a zip tie between the clip and
> mudguard. Hook the zip tie round the brake bridge and used that to
> keep the mudguard in place. The rear mudguard on my hybrid bike
> has been fixed in place like this for the past few months. Don't
> think I'll bother to look for a new replacement clip. Zip ties are
> cheaper!

The metal clips are rubbish - don't bother with them because next time
you hit a decent pothole, it'll snap again.

The humble zip-tie is the best solution - they will outlast your
mudguards! What I did was drill four small holes (4mm) either side of
the top of the guard so that they fell either side of the brake bridge.
Then run a narrow zip tie through 2 of the holes on either side of the
guard and over the top of the brake bridge. Zip up tight and cut off
the excess et voila - bullet proof!

Cheers
Bronzie

davek
August 10th 06, 06:03 PM
Dennis Davis wrote:
> As an alternative, try slipping a zip tie between the clip and
> mudguard.

I also use zipties, though they tend to require frequent replacement.

d.

Rob Morley
August 10th 06, 06:04 PM
In article >
David Nutter > wrote:
> On 2006-08-10, Peter Boulton > wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have chromoplastic mudguards like this:
> >
> > http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/ChromoTec_Full_Length_Mudguards_2248.asp
> >
> > The clip which fastens the rear mudguard to the axle of the rear brake
> > (which goes through the frame) has broken and I'm wondering whether it's
> > possible to just get a replacement clip, as buying a front and a back just
> > because of the clip seems very wasteful and ungreen (oh yes, and
> > expensive!).
> >
> > Anyone know whether it's possible to just buy the clip and where?
>
> Looking at the picture it appears the clip is just held on by rivets

You didn't look hard enough :-)
Rear mudguards need a sliding bridge because different bikes have
seatstays at different angles.

Rob Morley
August 10th 06, 06:04 PM
In article om>
Bronzie > wrote:

> > As an alternative, try slipping a zip tie between the clip and
> > mudguard. Hook the zip tie round the brake bridge and used that to
> > keep the mudguard in place. The rear mudguard on my hybrid bike
> > has been fixed in place like this for the past few months. Don't
> > think I'll bother to look for a new replacement clip. Zip ties are
> > cheaper!
>
> The metal clips are rubbish - don't bother with them because next time
> you hit a decent pothole, it'll snap again.

My road frame has a bottle boss set into the bottom of the brake bridge
so I can attach the mudguard with a screw. I thought maybe this would
stress the mudguard but it doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

David Nutter
August 10th 06, 06:58 PM
On 2006-08-10, Rob Morley > wrote:
> In article >
> David Nutter > wrote:

*snip*

>> Looking at the picture it appears the clip is just held on by rivets
>
> You didn't look hard enough :-)

It's hard to tell from that image :)

> Rear mudguards need a sliding bridge because different bikes have
> seatstays at different angles.

I know that SKS mudguards have that (hence my comment about the "SKS
wraparound type"), but didn't know that other manufacturers used that method
too. Still, zipties all round it seems.

Regards,

-david

Sandy Morton
August 11th 06, 09:38 AM
In article >,
Peter Boulton > wrote:
> Anyone know whether it's possible to just buy the clip and where?

If you're near me you can have some free - don't have many bikes with
mudguards now.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island