PDA

View Full Version : RR: Lincoln Flat One 208km

Tony B
August 13th 06, 11:43 AM
Following my DNS 600 last week, I was pretty down about cycling in
general and Audax in particular but of course two days later I was
frantically scanning the AUK calendar for a suitable August 200 to keep
my RRTY going (having completed ten already it seemed daft not to...)

Cycling, as we all know, is a metaphor for life and as my Buddhist
sister tells me Life is Suffering. With this in mind, I decided to do
the Lincoln Flat One on my newly built Uber Fixie, a mid-life crisis
build consisting of a custom Ti Setavento frame with all the right bits
screwed onto it to give me a 68" gear (44/17). It was to be my first
fixed Audax, 208km would represent my longest fixed ride and the first
fixed ride where I had no idea at all of what was to come.

I got an early start on the Saturday morning and set off for Clowne,
arriving in good time for the 8.00am off. The bike was soon out of the
car and the wheels soon locked in place; a thoughtful cup of tea in the
center and a brief "morning" to a few familiar faces. I got a bit
fidgety indoors so went out to mooch about a bit; it was chilly, quite
autumnal actually so I donned leg and arm warmers and slipped into my
waterproof shell prior to the start.

Clive gave us the green light and we were off, for once I was at the
head of the event and remained there for all of 1500m until the first
slight incline. I stood up to get the 44/17 gearing spinning properly
for the climb out of town and bugger me if the wheel didn't kick over
and foul the frame. A short stop while I tightened the track nuts
properly and I was off, in earnest.

Funnily enough, I managed to make good progress through the field, even
going so far as to blast past a few on the early climbs. That doesn't
happen very often... of course, the buggers sailed past me on the other
side as my limiting speed is easily reached on any reasonable downhill.
It is particularly irksome to see people you stomped passed on the climb
sailing along, feet stationary, with such ease on the descent while you
try frantically to keep your speed down to something a tad under "manic"
on your fixed wheel. Downs worst than ups on fixed!

Early on the course was reasonably lumpy, certainly not the pan-flat I
was expecting. Other audax events I've been on generally get hillier as
one progresses, I was secretly hopeful the Lincs Flat One would be an
exception.

The first info was upon us in next to no time at 21km, luckily we didn't
need to stop as the relevant house name was easily visible in passing. I
dropped in with a bunch and we got a decent move on, arriving at Rosie's
Cafe near Gainsborough in time for a nice cup of tea and a quick beans
on toast. I was in the company of a first-time 200 rider from Grantham,
Jacob (sorry, your surname has just gone mate!). We pressed on, soon
rejoined by a fellow fixed gear dude called Ian on a Fuji track and a
married couple whose names I never quite caught. We all got on famously,
making great time and generally having a good craic. We got to the flat
bits, I was informed that the worst of the hilly bits were behind us and
I imagined it would be easy from here. Wrong! Lots of strong winds and
little cover made sure we worked at our endavours the whole way round.
We climbed up the Lincoln cliff and headed south, a beautiful section
with expansive views across "Megawatts Valley"

Around ten km before our lunch stop at Woodhall Spa I fell off. It was
the most bizarre thing; one moment I was rolling along, maybe around 30
kph next to Ian and chatting excitedly, the next I was on the floor. I
momentarily had chance to reflect on the impending pain before being
dumped on the tarmac with some considerable force. After a brief period
of lying on the floor, collecting my thoughts (which were busy running
out of my helmetless head, along with a small amount of claret) I
attempted to get back on my feet. Oh-oh, steady there - ah that's it.
Upright! Brilliant. I didn't dare look at the bike, but others did.
Luckily for me the only damage was to a track nut (!) and a ripped break
lever hood. Damage to YT was a little more extensive, head injury,
shoulder, elbow gouged, hip rashed, knee ripped open, right ankle cut
and a niggling small cut to the back of my left hand that was
suspiciously brake lever hood shaped. Ouch. Still, a rush of adrenalin
like that soon had me feeling pretty good, even if I had trashed my
shirt, arm and leg warmers. Thankfully the Assos shorts were undamaged.

Once back on the bike and I couldn't help but laugh (and bleed) as we
headed into the lunch stop. Helped on no end by sympathetic words from
my riding companions (for about three minutes) followed by non-stop ****
taking for the next two hours. I looked like a real pro as I walked into
the cafe, a real tough cyclist. Someone had a couple of mediwipes and I
did my best to staunch the flow a bit. Yet more food and drink and we
were off for the afternoon session, always the worst part of a 200 in my
limited experience and so it proved with long flat straights and more
headwind. It was a relief to get to the cafe and tea and cakes, everyone
was in good spirits as we only had 24 miles left to go (which of course
is MUCH less than 40km) it's funny how people swap between units of
measure to whichever sounds easier.

The last section was a bit of a bind to be honest, long drags on A616
all the way back to Clowne with a few long inclines. The interminable
headwind took it's toll and if I'd have been alone and on my geared bike
I think I would still be there now, crawling along at three miles an
hour and 90 rpm. The fixed wheel is a real boon to this sort of riding,
one simply HAS to get on with it and no slacking! Contrary to popular
opinion it doesn't seem much harder but road speed is much increased.

We got into the finish at 6.15, not quite under ten hours but
considering that blasted wind I think 10hrs 15 min is a pretty
respectable time. I was well chuffed, despite the injuries!

So, my first fixed audax and my first two points toward my Fixed Wheel
Award. It was without doubt a success, I'll certainly do more audax on
fixed and as 100km rides count for the FWA then maybe I can do a few of
those too. I also think I'm a little under geared, 44/16 would give me
72.3" which I think would help out on the descents.

Many thanks to my riding companions, I had a great day in great company
and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Recommended. But thank God it didn't ****
down all day....

Tony Bramah

Eiron
August 13th 06, 12:51 PM
Tony B wrote:

> Around ten km before our lunch stop at Woodhall Spa I fell off. It was
> the most bizarre thing; one moment I was rolling along, maybe around 30
> kph next to Ian and chatting excitedly, the next I was on the floor. I
> momentarily had chance to reflect on the impending pain before being
> dumped on the tarmac with some considerable force. After a brief period
> of lying on the floor, collecting my thoughts (which were busy running
> out of my helmetless head, along with a small amount of claret) I
> attempted to get back on my feet. Oh-oh, steady there - ah that's it.
> Upright! Brilliant. I didn't dare look at the bike, but others did.
> Luckily for me the only damage was to a track nut (!) and a ripped break
> lever hood. Damage to YT was a little more extensive, head injury,
> shoulder, elbow gouged, hip rashed, knee ripped open, right ankle cut
> and a niggling small cut to the back of my left hand that was
> suspiciously brake lever hood shaped. Ouch. Still, a rush of adrenalin
> like that soon had me feeling pretty good, even if I had trashed my
> shirt, arm and leg warmers. Thankfully the Assos shorts were undamaged.

What happened? Pothole? Mechanical failure? Presumably you or a pal saw it.
Please excuse my asking but were you wearing a helmet which fell off on impact?
Could your head injury have been prevented? Details?

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

davek
August 13th 06, 12:54 PM
Tony B wrote:
> I had a great day in great company
> and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Recommended. But thank God it didn't ****
> down all day....

Nice report - makes me want to get a fixed! (I presume when riding fixed
the blood loss is optional?)

d.

Simon Mason
August 13th 06, 01:08 PM
"Tony B" > wrote in message
news:44df023f$0$18521$ed2e19e4@ptn-Ouch. Still, a rush of adrenalin
> like that soon had me feeling pretty good, even if I had trashed my shirt,
> arm and leg warmers. Thankfully the Assos shorts were undamaged.

Yeah that's the main thing. When my mate crashed his new Trek Madone and
injured his leg I told him that at least his body will heal itself for free,
whereas a bent Dura Ace rear mech costs real money to sort out;-)

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Rob Morley
August 13th 06, 01:16 PM
In article >
Eiron > wrote:
<snip>
> What happened? Pothole? Mechanical failure? Presumably you or a pal saw it.
> Please excuse my asking but were you wearing a helmet which fell off on impact?
> Could your head injury have been prevented? Details?

If I cut myself shaving, or snag an earring, does that count as a head
injury?

Tony B
August 13th 06, 01:39 PM
> Eiron > wrote:

>> Please excuse my asking but were you wearing a helmet which fell off on impact?
>> Could your head injury have been prevented? Details?

Bugger, I know where this is going....

I hit a lateral ridge which ran across the road, it was very sharp and
practically invisible from my seated position. I went back to have a
look, it was only about 150mm across but I must have hit it dead on - it
just ripped the wheel out from under me and threw me to the floor. There
were border markers at the side of the road, I guess the local council
have been out to identify it ready for some future repair.

I'm a pretty cautious rider, I ride a motorcycle as well as a pushbike
and drive a fair bit too and am very defensive - I try and stay out of
trouble where possible, I'm happy I was doing all I could in the
circumstances as far as riding style was concerned. Could it have been
prevented? Well, yes - I could have been a bit left or right of the
dodgy bit of road, I could have stayed at home, I could have worn a
crash helmet... but what of my (much worse) injuries? Should we discuss
prevention of road rash? The worst damage is to elbow and knee, maybe I
should start a web site to get compulsory body amour for all ;-)

FWIW I never wear a helmet. I do own one, I bought it because the people
at the local velodrome won't let you on unless you wear one and I don't
want to use one of the communal ones for obvious reasons.

Luckily, my Mk 1 Skull did it's job and kept my brains inside. I have a
very light scuff on the side of my head, and a small lump which I got
because after my body hit the floor VERY hard, I bumped my head (as it
carried on moving once the main bulk of me had arrested it's downward
motion). Thanks to the joys of vectors, the head impact was quite slow
compared to my initial forward component.

No doubt if I had used a helmet, I would have avoided the scuff on the
side of my head, but I'll trade off a scuff once every 39 years for many
thousands of km of helmetless riding. If I had hit my head hard enough
to break my skull, I don't believe a cycle helmet would have helped out
much anyway.

The worst damage is to elbow and knee, maybe I should start a web site
to get compulsory body amour for all ;-)

Anyway, bones mend and chicks dig scars. Wassaapppp!

Oh, BTW the kids wear crash helmets, as Mrs B feels happier with it but
interestingly she is OK letting them out without mitts on. Guess where
all the kids' cuts and scrapes are....

hth,

Tony B

Eiron
August 13th 06, 05:19 PM
Tony B wrote:

> Bugger, I know where this is going....

Somebody had to ask, and you did write "head injury" in your original post.

--
Eiron

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Arthur Clune
August 13th 06, 09:16 PM
Tony B wrote:
> Following my DNS 600 last week, I was pretty down about cycling in
> general and Audax in particular but of course two days later I was
> frantically scanning the AUK calendar for a suitable August 200 to keep
> my RRTY going (having completed ten already it seemed daft not to...)

Excellent ride report, and well done on continuing after an 'off'.

Hope the bike is ok :)

Cheers,

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

MSeries
August 14th 06, 09:06 AM
Tony B wrote:
> [...]
> I think I would still be there now, crawling along at three miles an
> hour and 90 rpm. The fixed wheel is a real boon to this sort of riding,
> one simply HAS to get on with it and no slacking! Contrary to popular
> opinion it doesn't seem much harder but road speed is much increased.
>
> We got into the finish at 6.15, not quite under ten hours but
> considering that blasted wind I think 10hrs 15 min is a pretty
> respectable time. I was well chuffed, despite the injuries!
>
> So, my first fixed audax and my first two points toward my Fixed Wheel
> Award. It was without doubt a success, I'll certainly do more audax on
> fixed and as 100km rides count for the FWA then maybe I can do a few of
> those too. I also think I'm a little under geared, 44/16 would give me
> 72.3" which I think would help out on the descents.
>
> Many thanks to my riding companions, I had a great day in great company

It all become clear now !! Well done and hard luck on the crash.

Blonde
August 14th 06, 11:48 AM
Great stuff Tony! You're well 'ard! ;- )

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home