PDA

View Full Version : 3 rivers and a canal 200 26th Aug?

MartinM
August 13th 06, 08:55 PM
anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
"gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?
(mine's ruined by work the next day anyway, bah!)

Dave Larrington
August 14th 06, 09:36 AM
MartinM wrote:
> anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
> "gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?
> (mine's ruined by work the next day anyway, bah!)

I was tempted, but succumbed to the lure of the Mildenhall 300.

I have no idea why.

--
Dave Larrington
Beware of the opion.

MartinM
August 14th 06, 10:22 AM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
> > "gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?
> > (mine's ruined by work the next day anyway, bah!)
>
> I was tempted, but succumbed to the lure of the Mildenhall 300.
>
> I have no idea why.

lack of Scenery?

;-)

Dave Larrington
August 14th 06, 11:04 AM
MartinM wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> MartinM wrote:
>>> anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
>>> "gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?
>>> (mine's ruined by work the next day anyway, bah!)
>>
>> I was tempted, but succumbed to the lure of the Mildenhall 300.
>>
>> I have no idea why.
>
> lack of Scenery?

That could have been it. Or a perverse desire to experience breakfast at
01:00 again. I think I might drive up the night before and kip in the
motorcar...

--
Dave Larrington
Never give a gun to ducks.

MartinM
August 14th 06, 12:32 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:

I think I might drive up the night before and kip in the
> motorcar...

that reminds me; wha'bout the Elgar Route the week after?

Dave Larrington
August 14th 06, 12:50 PM
MartinM wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>
> I think I might drive up the night before and kip in the
>> motorcar...
>
> that reminds me; wha'bout the Elgar Route the week after?

I know I have expressed the opinion that doing the Alan Furley again would
be an act of madness matched only by the careers of George III and Roky
Erickson, but Beech Hill is altogether nearer than Chepstow and the drop off
the Ridgeway through Ashbury was the only place I managed to overtake Dave
Kahn last year (except when he had been smitten by the P+nct+r+ Fairy, obv).

--
Dave Larrington
Ha ha, you fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic

davek
August 14th 06, 12:54 PM
MartinM wrote:
> anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
> "gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?

I'm afraid I shall be one of the "gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" bank
holiday motorists that weekend. Indeed, I may well pass you en route to
the West Country for family vacation - and if I do, I shall endeavour to
give you /at least/ four inches of road space!

d.

pete whelan
August 14th 06, 05:03 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
>>anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
>>"gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?
>>(mine's ruined by work the next day anyway, bah!)
>

> I was tempted, but succumbed to the lure of the Mildenhall 300.
>
> I have no idea why.

I'll see you at the finish. I'm not riding the event, as I'll be involved
with the grass track racing.

Look for a blue midi-van and a big tent next to it at the Suffolk DA
area where you finish. If I'm not there, then I'll be at the track

Dave Larrington
August 15th 06, 09:23 AM
pete whelan wrote:
> Dave Larrington wrote:
>> MartinM wrote:
>>
>>> anyone else planning to ruin their weekend with some
>>> "gerrorftheroadyoudon'tpayroadtax" from the bank holiday motorists ?
>>> (mine's ruined by work the next day anyway, bah!)
>>

>> I was tempted, but succumbed to the lure of the Mildenhall 300.
>>
>> I have no idea why.
>>
> I'll see you at the finish. I'm not riding the event, as I'll be
> involved with the grass track racing.
>
> Look for a blue midi-van and a big tent next to it at the Suffolk DA
> area where you finish. If I'm not there, then I'll be at the track

Depends on the terrain, of course, but the chances are that it'll be dark by
the time /I/ finish...

--
Dave Larrington
Funny... You don't /look/ like Martha and the Vandellas!

MartinM
August 15th 06, 11:34 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > Dave Larrington wrote:
> >
> > I think I might drive up the night before and kip in the
> >> motorcar...
> >
> > that reminds me; wha'bout the Elgar Route the week after?
>
> I know I have expressed the opinion that doing the Alan Furley again would
> be an act of madness matched only by the careers of George III and Roky
> Erickson, but Beech Hill is altogether nearer than Chepstow and the drop off
> the Ridgeway through Ashbury was the only place I managed to overtake Dave
> Kahn last year (except when he had been smitten by the P+nct+r+ Fairy, obv).

seems a bit too similar to 3RAAC and also the Anfractuous (which I've
also entered) for my liking (before I go into hibernation in
ElSupremoland for the winter)

Simon Bennett
August 18th 06, 09:31 AM
davek wrote:

> Indeed, I may well pass you en
> route to the West Country for family vacation - and if I do, I shall
> endeavour to give you /at least/ four inches of road space!

I'll probably be doing the same, shall we form a 'car snake' (is that the
correct term for one of those silly bunches of motorists, seemingly glued
together?) just to **** him off?

MartinM
August 26th 06, 08:14 PM
Simon Bennett wrote:
> davek wrote:
>
> > Indeed, I may well pass you en
> > route to the West Country for family vacation - and if I do, I shall
> > endeavour to give you /at least/ four inches of road space!
>
> I'll probably be doing the same, shall we form a 'car snake' (is that the
> correct term for one of those silly bunches of motorists, seemingly glued
> together?) just to **** him off?

I actually saw both your cars forming a very stationary westbound snake
on the A303 as I passed over it near Boscombe Down ;-)

The ride itself was very nice; almost entirely devoid of Scenery, but
the scenery was very nice if undistinguished; a sort of cross between
the Stonehenge, Anfractuous, Denmead Winter 200 and Watership Down
without any of the gratuitous hills. RRTY progresses; only promble is
I've binned my DIY perm card as usual and the website doesn't give the
date I rode it, does Sheila organise RRTY?

dkahn400
August 27th 06, 09:02 AM
MartinM wrote:

> only promble is
> I've binned my DIY perm card as usual and the website doesn't give the
> date I rode it, does Sheila organise RRTY?

No, Peak Audax <http://peakaudax.co.uk/>. You don't need the cards if
you can verify your rides from the points table.

I'm off on a 400k DIY in a few minutes to try to complete my SR.
Twickenham - Hatfield - Biggleswade - Peterborough - King's Lynn - Bury
St. Edmunds - Cambridge - Twickenham. Much of it devoid of scenery.
:-)

--
Dave...

davek
September 4th 06, 12:57 AM
MartinM wrote:
> I actually saw both your cars forming a very stationary westbound snake
> on the A303 as I passed over it near Boscombe Down ;-)

Yes, you very probably did! We came back along the M4. Next time we are
going by train and/or bike regardless of what my wife may feel on the
subject.

> without any of the gratuitous hills.

Is there any other kind of hill? ;-)

d.