PDA

View Full Version : Re: FAQ Location and Weekly posting for Rec.Bicycles.*

Blair P. Houghton
October 3rd 06, 11:25 PM
Mike Iglesias > wrote:
>Web access to rec.bicycles archives and FAQ
>
>The rec.bicycles ftp archives and FAQ are available via the web
>
> <http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/>
> <http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/bicycles-faq/top.html>

And,

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/hypertext/faq/usenet/bicycles-faq/top.html

says:

"Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at www.cis.ohio-state.edu."

I won't go into the misconceptions and self-contradictions
in any of the FAQ's. But if this FAQ were a wiki, it'd be
fixed.

--Blair

Chris Y.F.N.W.
October 4th 06, 02:23 PM
I've visited your FAQ's page. It resembles the Library of Congress in
sheer bulk.

Do you really expect anyone to bother past the first page?

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Dane Buson
October 4th 06, 05:55 PM
Chris Y.F.N.W. > wrote:
> I've visited your FAQ's page. It resembles the Library of Congress in
> sheer bulk.

Are you new to this internet thing? It's a FAQ, standing for Frequently
Asked Questions. It's not a bodice ripper, one generally doesn't read
it literally but rather skips to the portion answering ones question.

> Do you really expect anyone to bother past the first page?

I certainly have in the past. I don't personally refer to it anymore.
But someone new to the activity of bicycling frequently finds it
helpful. Some people even might thank Mr. Iglesias for his often
thankless task of trying to provide useful knowledge to people.

--
Dane Buson -
"On the Internet, no one knows you're using Windows NT"

October 4th 06, 06:44 PM
Chris Corner writes:

> I've visited your FAQ's page. It resembles the Library of Congress
> in sheer bulk.

As with any library, this one has an index and does not require the
reader to wade through the entire stacks to reach the item of
interest.

Try:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/index.html

Then click on the subject that interests you. You must have had
something in mind when calling up the FAQ and this is the way to find
it.

> Do you really expect anyone to bother past the first page?

.... of your local reference book or library? Yes, but they don't
start at page one, but use the directory. Try it, you'll like it.

Jobst Brandt

catzz66
October 4th 06, 09:27 PM
Dane Buson wrote:

> Are you new to this internet thing? It's a FAQ, standing for Frequently
> Asked Questions. It's not a bodice ripper, one generally doesn't read
> it literally but rather skips to the portion answering ones question.

It's hard to imagine anyone would be crying and moaning over a weekly
FAQ posting.

bill
October 4th 06, 11:42 PM
Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> I've visited your FAQ's page. It resembles the Library of Congress in
> sheer bulk.
>
> Do you really expect anyone to bother past the first page?
>
> - -
> Compliments of:
> "Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"
>
> If you want to E-mail me use:
> ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net
>
> My website:
> http://geocities.com/czcorner

If everybody stuck to the rules this group would be dead, as the FAQ's
and the previous bike related posts could serve as a literal dictionary
for bicycle related topics. Hence we have a group that truly is 'MISC'.
Bill Baka

October 5th 06, 12:31 AM
Bill Baka writes:

>> I've visited your FAQ's page. It resembles the Library of Congress
>> in sheer bulk.

>> Do you really expect anyone to bother past the first page?

> If everybody stuck to the rules this group would be dead, as the
> FAQ's and the previous bike related posts could serve as a literal
> dictionary for bicycle related topics. Hence we have a group that
> truly is 'MISC'.

Well, you underestimate the abilities of readers to rephrase and
willfully misinterpret what has been written. I agree that most of
the answers are in the FAQ and that people don't read them for one
reason or another, but even if they did, they would want their moment
of righteousness to show you that their experience is unique.

Just look at discussions that take place.

How the tire supports the rim is classic. That subject has taken us
to trampolines with nails, and rubber band discussions.

Jobst Brandt

bill
October 5th 06, 12:57 AM
wrote:
> Bill Baka writes:
>
>> If everybody stuck to the rules this group would be dead, as the
>> FAQ's and the previous bike related posts could serve as a literal
>> dictionary for bicycle related topics. Hence we have a group that
>> truly is 'MISC'.
>
> Well, you underestimate the abilities of readers to rephrase and
> willfully misinterpret what has been written. I agree that most of
> the answers are in the FAQ and that people don't read them for one
> reason or another, but even if they did, they would want their moment
> of righteousness to show you that their experience is unique.
>
> Just look at discussions that take place.
>
> How the tire supports the rim is classic. That subject has taken us
> to trampolines with nails, and rubber band discussions.
>
> Jobst Brandt

Total agreement. One must wonder with all this posting of trivia going
on if anyone is actually out there riding. This is mostly a time kill
social/anti-social (depends on who) thing for me.
Bill Baka

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home