PDA

View Full Version : My latest heresy

JP
October 5th 06, 10:43 PM
Started riding a bike again after my joints were reclassified
as junk by the orthopedist a few years ago. My first new
bike was an FS mountain bike that cost me the same as
my first new car did about the time I stopped riding at 18.
While it sings over roots, ruts and ravines it was ponderous
on the road and since the trails are a 45 minute drive from home
I figured a road bike would make it more fun to ride starting from my
driveway.

I was captivated by the retro philosophy espoused by Rivendell and
must have blabbed about it at home because my wife called them and
arranged to get me one for Christmas 2004 and I became the recipient
of a Ramboullet a few weeks later, hereafter referred to as Rambo.
(Exceeding the cost of my first new car)
My apologies to those who shudder at the name, but the roads and drivers
here on Long Island are not bike friendly and I wanted the tough guy with
me on my rides.

First I hung on the saddlebag, then the candy bag, all retro canvas
and left the camelbak for the trails. Then clipless pedals that I started
with
(since I love them on the mountain bike) came off to be replaced by clips.
Makes the bike say "Hop on" instead of "get ready."
Something worked because I'm on it everyday now.
Last night I put on fenders and today I tested them through the puddles
left from last night's rain. Outstanding, and very cute.

Naturally the serious cyclists around here don't ride with fenders but
I'm under no illusions about my standing in that group. I'm too chunky to
risk wearing tight flourescent spandex, though if I get back to my old
running
weight (it was only four years ago-sob) I'll be able to squeeze into my old
running tights and compression stuff. But the flashy stuff doesn't match my
retro nature.

The bell is on order and for now that will complete the nerdification of
Rambo.
I'm contemplating changing the dropbars for Rivendell's moustache bar since
I so rarely use the drop position and it will give me more hand options on
my daily
rides but that will mean reinstalling the brakes and shifters (bar-end
friction) and
then retaping the bars and I'm not an expert bike mechanic. But I've been
resurrecting
some vintage road bikes my kids have dragged home and I'll probably tackle
it
next year. The brightly attired pro's that decorate the roads on the
weekends will
no doubt sneer as they zoom past hunched over their aerobars but I seek
comfort
on my daily 20 mile workout and Rambo will no doubt approve.

JP

Tom Keats
October 6th 06, 05:29 PM
In article <N%eVg.34$Ye.15@trndny04>,
"JP" > writes:

> I was captivated by the retro philosophy espoused by Rivendell and
> must have blabbed about it at home because my wife called them and
> arranged to get me one for Christmas 2004 and I became the recipient
> of a Ramboullet a few weeks later, hereafter referred to as Rambo.
> (Exceeding the cost of my first new car)
> My apologies to those who shudder at the name, but the roads and drivers
> here on Long Island are not bike friendly and I wanted the tough guy with
> me on my rides.

No sweat. Bike's names are important (in my ever so humble opinion.)
I think they do somehow enhance their traits & attributes by describing
them. When you've got a fleet of bikes you can, as the mood and desired
type of ride suits, select from: Sugarfoot, Ol' Pig Iron, Swee'pea,
Poufdhi the Magic Drag'n, Harold Lloyd, The Maven Raven ...

> First I hung on the saddlebag, then the candy bag, all retro canvas
> and left the camelbak for the trails. Then clipless pedals that I started
> with
> (since I love them on the mountain bike) came off to be replaced by clips.
> Makes the bike say "Hop on" instead of "get ready."

You are not alone. Some folks decry clips & straps as death traps,
but I've had no probs with my Mt Zefal MTB ones.

> Something worked because I'm on it everyday now.
> Last night I put on fenders and today I tested them through the puddles
> left from last night's rain. Outstanding, and very cute.

What kind/brand of fenders? And do they have mudflaps?
One of these days I've gotta fashion a pair of mudflaps
out of a pair of mouse pads with the right grafix on 'em.

> Naturally the serious cyclists around here don't ride with fenders but
> I'm under no illusions about my standing in that group.

Aw, to heck with 'em :-)
Let 'em be serious. We can be just as committed & passionate about
cycling, and have more fun doing it, without being "serious" ;-)

> I'm too chunky to
> risk wearing tight flourescent spandex, though if I get back to my old
> running
> weight (it was only four years ago-sob)

You can easily get that back, if ya wanna.

> I'll be able to squeeze into my old
> running tights and compression stuff. But the flashy stuff doesn't match my
> retro nature.

Yeah, if you want to, you could skip the leg-shaving thing too.
Not being too "serious" == freedom. Let 'er rip!
Tell ya what -- I've done a bunch of desk-&-chair jobs, and
now I'm happily doing real, physical work. I've also reached
a point where I realized I'd rather work to live, than live to
work. The money ain't as good, but I don't need that much
money anyways. Y'know that saying: "Time is money?" It ain't
true. Time is worth more than money. You can make money any
time you want, but your time is here & gone, so we've gotta
make the most of it while we've got it. I figure a good way
to approach that, is to get some enjoyable & enjoyed rides in.

But don't isolate your physical workouts in one, schedulable,
routine pastime embedded within an itinerary of: thinking about/
delegating work for other people-- rather, modify your lifestyle
toward constant activity on your part, and good nutrition to
support that activity.

> The bell is on order and for now that will complete the nerdification of
> Rambo.

Well, ya gotta at least hang a mojo on 'im.
What kind of mojo would one would hang on a
nerdified bike named Rambo?
I guess a bell that has to be ordered-in is
a good start.

Actually, fenders and a bell aren't all that nerdly at all.

You should see what Ol' Pig Iron looks like -- rubber bulb
horn, milk crate, 'n all.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Matt O'Toole
October 6th 06, 06:15 PM
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:29:03 -0700, Tom Keats wrote:

> Y'know that saying: "Time is money?" It ain't
> true. Time is worth more than money. You can make money any
> time you want, but your time is here & gone, so we've gotta
> make the most of it while we've got it. I figure a good way
> to approach that, is to get some enjoyable & enjoyed rides in.

Sage advice. Well said.

Matt O.

Gooserider
October 7th 06, 01:49 AM
None of what you're doing is heresy. You happen to be on the leading edge of
a revolution. People who started biking as adults in the 80s or so are
getting older and less interested in hammering. They've been through MTBs
and high end road race bikes, and now they're looking for something
comfortable and practical. You're a revolutionary. :-)

JP
October 15th 06, 02:45 AM
The fenders are SKS, recycled plastic that look silvery like metal,
weigh almost nothing.
No mudflaps though I may put some on depending on how messy the weather gets
this fall. If I do I'll most likely opt for cutting up an old pair of shoes.

The bell came and I put it on the stem yesterday. Very cute.

Changed saddlebag to a smaller one. Still room for a cable lock, spare
tube,
tire levers, patches, tools and powerbars. Plus room in the candybag.

Switched the pedals to MKS platform with Soma clips and straps.
Much more comfy and very retro. Goes with the canvas saddlebags and the
steel lugged frame and the brass bell. Riding gets so much more casual
when I don't have to put on clipless shoes. The only cycling specific
apparal I still need to wear is butt padding.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
October 15th 06, 03:05 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <N%eVg.34$Ye.15@trndny04>,
> "JP" > writes:

> > First I hung on the saddlebag, then the candy bag, all retro canvas
> > and left the camelbak for the trails. Then clipless pedals that I started
> > with
> > (since I love them on the mountain bike) came off to be replaced by clips.
> > Makes the bike say "Hop on" instead of "get ready."
>
> You are not alone. Some folks decry clips & straps as death traps,
> but I've had no probs with my Mt Zefal MTB ones....

Good riddance to clip and straps.

When I want to ride without cycling specific shoes, I use Powergrips
[1]. They hold the foot better than the combination of clips and straps
WITHOUT cleated cycling shoes, and do not require reaching down to the
pedals to release one's foot.

Clips and straps with the straps loose enough to intentionally pull
one's foot out do little to aid in pedaling, but can still snag ones
foot while one is trying withdraw it.

Some things are better left as historical artifacts.

[1] <http://www.powergrips.com/>.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Tom Keats
October 15th 06, 03:11 AM
In article <ipgYg.787$Dg5.600@trndny09>,
"JP" > writes:
> The fenders are SKS, recycled plastic that look silvery like metal,
> weigh almost nothing.
> No mudflaps though I may put some on depending on how messy the weather gets
> this fall. If I do I'll most likely opt for cutting up an old pair of shoes.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I once considered that myself, but was warned off the idea.
Apparently shoe leather isn't the ideal mudflap material
for some reasons that I now forget. I know in freezing
temps it can ice up when wet.

> The bell came and I put it on the stem yesterday. Very cute.
>
> Changed saddlebag to a smaller one. Still room for a cable lock, spare
> tube,
> tire levers, patches, tools and powerbars. Plus room in the candybag.
>
> Switched the pedals to MKS platform with Soma clips and straps.
> Much more comfy and very retro. Goes with the canvas saddlebags and the
> steel lugged frame and the brass bell. Riding gets so much more casual
^^^^^^^^^^

Ooohh, that's gotta be pretty. I like it.

> when I don't have to put on clipless shoes. The only cycling specific
> apparal I still need to wear is butt padding.

Yeah, I too appreciate the hop-on-'n-go approach.
My co-workers frequently ask me why I always have
my right jeans cuff rolled up ;-)

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Tom Keats
October 15th 06, 03:24 AM
In article om>,
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > writes:

> Tom Keats wrote:
>> In article <N%eVg.34$Ye.15@trndny04>,
>> "JP" > writes:

>> > First I hung on the saddlebag, then the candy bag, all retro canvas
>> > and left the camelbak for the trails. Then clipless pedals that I started
>> > with
>> > (since I love them on the mountain bike) came off to be replaced by clips.
>> > Makes the bike say "Hop on" instead of "get ready."
>>
>> You are not alone. Some folks decry clips & straps as death traps,
>> but I've had no probs with my Mt Zefal MTB ones....
>
> Good riddance to clip and straps.
>
> When I want to ride without cycling specific shoes, I use Powergrips
> [1]. They hold the foot better than the combination of clips and straps
> WITHOUT cleated cycling shoes, and do not require reaching down to the
> pedals to release one's foot.
>
> Clips and straps with the straps loose enough to intentionally pull
> one's foot out do little to aid in pedaling, but can still snag ones
> foot while one is trying withdraw it.
>
> Some things are better left as historical artifacts.

I strenuously (but nevertheless sociably) demand to differ.
With my plastic MTB clips and cordura straps with slide-y buckles,
I can pedal one-legged up almost every Vancouver hill (until the
pedaling leg gets tired,) yet extract my foot without any
difficulty. I could also pull up on the backstroke if Iwanted to.
These things are nothing like those inextricable track bike rigs.

The only hassle I experience with the straps is occasionally
stepping on them when walking my bike, thereby losing the
sweet spot in its adjustment. I usually remember to kick
the near pedal around so it's high enough that I don't step
on the strap. But sometimes I forget.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
October 15th 06, 04:13 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article om>,
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > writes:
> >
> > Tom Keats wrote:

> >> You are not alone. Some folks decry clips & straps as death traps,
> >> but I've had no probs with my Mt Zefal MTB ones....
> >
> > Good riddance to clip and straps.
> >
> > When I want to ride without cycling specific shoes, I use Powergrips
> > [1]. They hold the foot better than the combination of clips and straps
> > WITHOUT cleated cycling shoes, and do not require reaching down to the
> > pedals to release one's foot.
> >
> > Clips and straps with the straps loose enough to intentionally pull
> > one's foot out do little to aid in pedaling, but can still snag ones
> > foot while one is trying withdraw it.
> >
> > Some things are better left as historical artifacts.
>
> I strenuously (but nevertheless sociably) demand to differ.
> With my plastic MTB clips and cordura straps with slide-y buckles,
> I can pedal one-legged up almost every Vancouver hill (until the
> pedaling leg gets tired,) yet extract my foot without any
> difficulty. I could also pull up on the backstroke if Iwanted to.
> These things are nothing like those inextricable track bike rigs.
>
> The only hassle I experience with the straps is occasionally
> stepping on them when walking my bike, thereby losing the
> sweet spot in its adjustment. I usually remember to kick
> the near pedal around so it's high enough that I don't step
> on the strap. But sometimes I forget.

I have fallen over enough times while struggling to get my foot out of
a clip when the strap is loose, I will never ride a bicycle with clips
and straps again if there is any other option.

The simplicity of Powergrips is appealing - no moving parts, yet they
function extremely well.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Tom Keats
October 15th 06, 04:40 AM
In article om>,
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > writes:

>> > Some things are better left as historical artifacts.
>>
>> I strenuously (but nevertheless sociably) demand to differ.
>> With my plastic MTB clips and cordura straps with slide-y buckles,
>> I can pedal one-legged up almost every Vancouver hill (until the
>> pedaling leg gets tired,) yet extract my foot without any
>> difficulty. I could also pull up on the backstroke if Iwanted to.
>> These things are nothing like those inextricable track bike rigs.
>>
>> The only hassle I experience with the straps is occasionally
>> stepping on them when walking my bike, thereby losing the
>> sweet spot in its adjustment. I usually remember to kick
>> the near pedal around so it's high enough that I don't step
>> on the strap. But sometimes I forget.
>
> I have fallen over enough times while struggling to get my foot out of
> a clip when the strap is loose, I will never ride a bicycle with clips
> and straps again if there is any other option.

Well, I've fallen over a few times, myself. But I only had one
occasion where my foot got a little stuck (mounting after leaving
the laundromat, with a sack of laundry sticking up out of the milk
crate. I forgot the gunny sack of laundry was there, went to
"cowboy mount", hit the bag of laundry with my foot, and fell back
down with the bike falling on top of me, with my left foot still in
the toe clip & strap.) It took a bit of effort to undo myself from
that situation while passing-by onlookers looked upon me with their
pity and suspicions that I was drunk & incipiently disorderly.

I've learned from that experience. Once bitten, twice shy.
A cat never jumps onto a hot hob twice.

> The simplicity of Powergrips is appealing - no moving parts, yet they
> function extremely well.

Okay. I relent. PowerGrips are good, too.

So are those chunky BMX platform pedals with all the metal nubs
screwed into/sticking up out of them.

cheers, & a handshake,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

JP
October 16th 06, 05:39 AM
I fell over lots when I first clipped in with the SPDs
Dozen times the first day.
Not that easy in one's fifties.
But I hadn't ridden in nearly forty years and I didn't
wreck my joints by engaging in moderate recreation all those years.
Three years later I need to be clipped in on the mtn bike,
or I don't feel safe.
I bought the powergrips but the pedal I intended them for did not fit.
I'll get around to them. The action seems to be identical to SPD clipping
in ond out.
But the soma clip is sooo comfortable, my New Balance sneakers fit nice,
and pull out fine.
And the clips of course look very old-time.
I can't pull the pedals up like I can when I'm clipped but I really don't
need to.
I don't commute on my bike, or use it for errands. It's not that easy to
mount and
dismount with destroyed hip joints. I vaguely remember throwing the leg
over the saddle
but those days are gone, like the days of throwing a flying crescent kick.
Oh well.
I ride for an hour or so a day to get the heartrate up, keep the BP and
cholesterol down
enjoying the breeze the sights as I cruise past the salt marsh to the little
beach, slo-mo
down the boardwalk and stare out at the sound. Beats gym equipment.

"Tom Keats" > wrote in message

>>> I strenuously (but nevertheless sociably) demand to differ.
>>> With my plastic MTB clips and cordura straps with slide-y buckles,
>>> I can pedal one-legged up almost every Vancouver hill (until the
>>> pedaling leg gets tired,) yet extract my foot without any
>>> difficulty. I could also pull up on the backstroke if Iwanted to.
>>> These things are nothing like those inextricable track bike rigs.
>>>
>>> The only hassle I experience with the straps is occasionally
>>> stepping on them when walking my bike, thereby losing the
>>> sweet spot in its adjustment. I usually remember to kick
>>> the near pedal around so it's high enough that I don't step
>>> on the strap. But sometimes I forget.
>>
>> I have fallen over enough times while struggling to get my foot out of
>> a clip when the strap is loose, I will never ride a bicycle with clips
>> and straps again if there is any other option.
>
> Well, I've fallen over a few times, myself. But I only had one
> occasion where my foot got a little stuck (mounting after leaving
> the laundromat, with a sack of laundry sticking up out of the milk
> crate. I forgot the gunny sack of laundry was there, went to
> "cowboy mount", hit the bag of laundry with my foot, and fell back
> down with the bike falling on top of me, with my left foot still in
> the toe clip & strap.) It took a bit of effort to undo myself from
> that situation while passing-by onlookers looked upon me with their
> pity and suspicions that I was drunk & incipiently disorderly.
>
> I've learned from that experience. Once bitten, twice shy.
> A cat never jumps onto a hot hob twice.
>
>> The simplicity of Powergrips is appealing - no moving parts, yet they
>> function extremely well.
>
> Okay. I relent. PowerGrips are good, too.
>
> So are those chunky BMX platform pedals with all the metal nubs
> screwed into/sticking up out of them.
>

> cheers, & a handshake,
> Tom
>
> --
> -- Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Smokey
October 17th 06, 02:38 AM
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Tom Keats wrote:
> > In article <N%eVg.34$Ye.15@trndny04>,
> > "JP" > writes:

> > > First I hung on the saddlebag, then the candy bag, all retro canvas
> > > and left the camelbak for the trails. Then clipless pedals that I started
> > > with
> > > (since I love them on the mountain bike) came off to be replaced by clips.
> > > Makes the bike say "Hop on" instead of "get ready."
> >
> > You are not alone. Some folks decry clips & straps as death traps,
> > but I've had no probs with my Mt Zefal MTB ones....
>
> Good riddance to clip and straps.
>
> When I want to ride without cycling specific shoes, I use Powergrips
> [1]. They hold the foot better than the combination of clips and straps
> WITHOUT cleated cycling shoes, and do not require reaching down to the
> pedals to release one's foot.
>
> Clips and straps with the straps loose enough to intentionally pull
> one's foot out do little to aid in pedaling, but can still snag ones
> foot while one is trying withdraw it.
>
> Some things are better left as historical artifacts.
>
> [1] <http://www.powergrips.com/>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

I've also had very good luck with Powergrips. Normally I ride clipped
in, but if we're going somewhere where we'll be doing a lot of off bike
walking (like in Old Town St. Charles, MO when we ride the Katy Trail)
I'll use Powergrips. I've tried clips and straps, too, but like
Powergrips better.

Smokey

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home