PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla tourer at Interbike '06.

Gooserider
October 6th 06, 01:28 AM
http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo70.html

Wow. That's just about the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. It's as if
Bentley started to make bicycles. Check it out---S&S coupler, discs, looks
like custom bent Titanium racks. Another shot shows the downtube "Vanilla"
logo:

http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo66.html

Is that CNC machined metal? Wow again. But, is the bike now too beautiful to
take on a tour? :-)

R Brickston
October 6th 06, 01:45 AM
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:28:01 GMT, "Gooserider"
> wrote:

>http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo70.html
>
>Wow. That's just about the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. It's as if
>Bentley started to make bicycles. Check it out---S&S coupler, discs, looks
>like custom bent Titanium racks. Another shot shows the downtube "Vanilla"
>logo:
>
>http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo66.html
>
>Is that CNC machined metal? Wow again. But, is the bike now too beautiful to
>take on a tour? :-)

I like the coffee cup holder:

http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo152.html

Gooserider
October 6th 06, 02:07 AM
"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:28:01 GMT, "Gooserider"
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo70.html
>>
>>Wow. That's just about the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. It's as if
>>Bentley started to make bicycles. Check it out---S&S coupler, discs, looks
>>like custom bent Titanium racks. Another shot shows the downtube "Vanilla"
>>logo:
>>
>>http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo66.html
>>
>>Is that CNC machined metal? Wow again. But, is the bike now too beautiful
>>take on a tour? :-)
>>

> I like the coffee cup holder:
>
> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo152.html

That's cool. I like the idea of stylish, well built city bikes. Well, for
those who live in low crime areas or have secure bike parking. I wouldn't
leave a $2000 bike unattended, even locked to a rack, and I live in a small
town full of retirees. :-)

Mike

R Brickston
October 6th 06, 02:27 AM
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 01:07:36 GMT, "Gooserider"
> wrote:

>"R Brickston" <rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:28:01 GMT, "Gooserider"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo70.html
>>>
>>>Wow. That's just about the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. It's as if
>>>Bentley started to make bicycles. Check it out---S&S coupler, discs, looks
>>>like custom bent Titanium racks. Another shot shows the downtube "Vanilla"
>>>logo:
>>>
>>>http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo66.html
>>>
>>>Is that CNC machined metal? Wow again. But, is the bike now too beautiful
>>>take on a tour? :-)
>>>

>> I like the coffee cup holder:
>>
>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo152.html
>
>That's cool. I like the idea of stylish, well built city bikes. Well, for
>those who live in low crime areas or have secure bike parking. I wouldn't
>leave a $2000 bike unattended, even locked to a rack, and I live in a small
>town full of retirees. :-)
>
>Mike

I kinda like it for the tourer, if I can move some of the other crap
off. Or get one of those utility bar add-ons..

SMS
October 6th 06, 07:06 AM
R Brickston wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:28:01 GMT, "Gooserider"
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo70.html
>>
>> Wow. That's just about the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. It's as if
>> Bentley started to make bicycles. Check it out---S&S coupler, discs, looks
>> like custom bent Titanium racks. Another shot shows the downtube "Vanilla"
>> logo:
>>
>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo66.html
>>
>> Is that CNC machined metal? Wow again. But, is the bike now too beautiful to
>> take on a tour? :-)
>>

> I like the coffee cup holder:
>
> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo152.html

Looks like the Soma Fabrications holder, see http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com

R Brickston
October 6th 06, 07:17 AM
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:06:56 -0700, SMS >
wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:28:01 GMT, "Gooserider"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo70.html
>>>
>>> Wow. That's just about the most beautiful bike I've ever seen. It's as if
>>> Bentley started to make bicycles. Check it out---S&S coupler, discs, looks
>>> like custom bent Titanium racks. Another shot shows the downtube "Vanilla"
>>> logo:
>>>
>>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo66.html
>>>
>>> Is that CNC machined metal? Wow again. But, is the bike now too beautiful to
>>> take on a tour? :-)
>>>

>> I like the coffee cup holder:
>>
>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo152.html
>
>Looks like the Soma Fabrications holder, see http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com

Thanks! Didn't look like a way to order it from them, but did find it
at:

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_info.php/products_id/230

for $26. Mounts on a Cateye light holder.

Paul Hobson
October 6th 06, 02:14 PM
R Brickston wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:06:56 -0700, SMS >
> wrote:
>
>> R Brickston wrote:
>>> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:28:01 GMT, "Gooserider"

>>> I like the coffee cup holder:
>>>
>>> http://www.cyclesdeoro.com/Interbike/2006/DB/photos/photo152.html
>> Looks like the Soma Fabrications holder, see http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
>
> Thanks! Didn't look like a way to order it from them, but did find it
> at:
>
> http://www.fullcycles.com/product_info.php/products_id/230
>
> for $26. Mounts on a Cateye light holder.

I believe you can get it straight from Soma. An LBS 'round my parts has
them too (opposite coast from Soma, if'n that matters)
http://store.somafab.com/index.html

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology

Pat Lamb
October 6th 06, 03:45 PM
Paul Hobson wrote:

> I believe you can get it straight from Soma. An LBS 'round my parts has
> them too (opposite coast from Soma, if'n that matters)
> http://store.somafab.com/index.html

Love the "Soma recommends you operate your mug only when your bike is
stopped." line!

Pat

R Brickston
October 6th 06, 04:25 PM
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 09:14:01 -0400, Paul Hobson >
wrote:

>R Brickston wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 23:06:56 -0700, SMS >
>> wrote:

>>> Looks like the Soma Fabrications holder, see http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com
>>
>> Thanks! Didn't look like a way to order it from them, but did find it
>> at:
>>
>> http://www.fullcycles.com/product_info.php/products_id/230
>>
>> for $26. Mounts on a Cateye light holder.
>
>I believe you can get it straight from Soma. An LBS 'round my parts has
>them too (opposite coast from Soma, if'n that matters)
>http://store.somafab.com/index.html

Thanks for the direct source, but they want $40.

SMS
October 6th 06, 06:05 PM
Pat Lamb wrote:
> Paul Hobson wrote:
>> I believe you can get it straight from Soma. An LBS 'round my parts has
>> them too (opposite coast from Soma, if'n that matters)
>> http://store.somafab.com/index.html
>>

> Love the "Soma recommends you operate your mug only when your bike is
> stopped." line!

This is why I prefer using a stainless-steel, double-walled, vacuum
sports bottle for hot drinks. You need one that fits a water bottle
holder. It's got a nipple like a regular water bottle.

The best combination I've found is the Topeak Modula EX Adjustable
Diameter Cage from REI (the plastic one), and a Webb ST630
(http://www.saveonpromotionalproducts.com/catalog/webb/st630.htm)

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to buy these bottles, as they are
only sold by promotional products companies which require a minimum
order, though they may sell you a sample is you give them a good story.

Steve
http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com

Rich Clark
October 6th 06, 07:41 PM
"SMS" > wrote in message
> Pat Lamb wrote:
>> Paul Hobson wrote:
>>> I believe you can get it straight from Soma. An LBS 'round my parts has
>>> them too (opposite coast from Soma, if'n that matters)
>>> http://store.somafab.com/index.html
>>>

>> Love the "Soma recommends you operate your mug only when your bike is
>> stopped." line!
>
> This is why I prefer using a stainless-steel, double-walled, vacuum sports
> bottle for hot drinks. You need one that fits a water bottle holder. It's
> got a nipple like a regular water bottle.
>
> The best combination I've found is the Topeak Modula EX Adjustable
> Diameter Cage from REI (the plastic one), and a Webb ST630
> (http://www.saveonpromotionalproducts.com/catalog/webb/st630.htm)
>
> Unfortunately, it's very difficult to buy these bottles, as they are only
> sold by promotional products companies which require a minimum order,
> though they may sell you a sample is you give them a good story.
>
> Steve
> http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com

Steve,

When my last spare JSB-500 lid broke (these were very fragile) I bought a
Nissan JMW-500, and I consider it superior. Aside from the fragile cap, the
nipple on the JSB-type bottles is really not very pleasant to drink hot
coffee through, and it leaks without the cap being tightly closed. I never
found it particularly enjoyable to try drinking coffee through the nipple
while riding (because you couldn't squeeze the bottle and therefore still
had to tilt your head back).

The Nissan is at least as good thermally, fits the same bottle cages, and
the cap system is IMO superior. The cap is essentially a sipper cup, which
is more pleasant for drinking coffee. The cap is more robustly designed, and
mine has already survived a drop that would have killed a JSB cap. Looking
at your pictures of the Webb, I see the same sort of exposed hinge that was
the JSB's Achilles heel (but you've actually used one, so you'd know better
than I how solid it is).

But I do recommend the Nissan, which works well both on and off the bike,
and fits not only all of my bottle cages but also the cupholders in my Scion
xB and my wife's Mazda MPV.

RichC

SMS
October 6th 06, 09:49 PM
Rich Clark wrote:

> Steve,
>
> When my last spare JSB-500 lid broke (these were very fragile) I bought a
> Nissan JMW-500, and I consider it superior. Aside from the fragile cap, the
> nipple on the JSB-type bottles is really not very pleasant to drink hot
> coffee through, and it leaks without the cap being tightly closed. I never
> found it particularly enjoyable to try drinking coffee through the nipple
> while riding (because you couldn't squeeze the bottle and therefore still
> had to tilt your head back).
>
> The Nissan is at least as good thermally, fits the same bottle cages, and
> the cap system is IMO superior.

Actually the Nissan is better thermally, I tested them. I did have a cap
failure on a JMW-500, it still can be closed with the metal latch, but
the plastic thingee broke. Also, I find that it leaks from the bottom of
the cap sometimes, it seems like the gasket has a mind of its own, as
sometimes it doesn't leak, sometimes it does.

I like the JSB-700/500, but all the caps we have are now broken. If I
ever start selling these, I'll be sure to sell extra caps, and include
several with each bottle.

When the JSB-700/500 is pretty full then you don't have to tilt your
head, it's only when it's below a certain level that it's necessary.

Lately, I've been using the Contigo Extreme
(http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-9449795-9697469?asin=B000FE7VEO)
which Costo is selling at two for $18.49. One good thing about this is
that the rubber strips help secure it in the bottle holder, the plain
steel bottles tend to bounce around a bit.

> The cap is essentially a sipper cup, which
> is more pleasant for drinking coffee. The cap is more robustly designed, and
> mine has already survived a drop that would have killed a JSB cap. Looking
> at your pictures of the Webb, I see the same sort of exposed hinge that was
> the JSB's Achilles heel (but you've actually used one, so you'd know better
> than I how solid it is).
>
> But I do recommend the Nissan, which works well both on and off the bike,
> and fits not only all of my bottle cages but also the cupholders in my Scion
> xB and my wife's Mazda MPV.

Yes, a major issue with the JSB is that it doesn't fit a lot of car cup
holders, while the JMW just fits. The Contigo also doesn't fit a lot of
car cup holders.

The important thing is to always wear a helmet while drinking coffee
while riding!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home