PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a Helmet

October 10th 06, 03:14 PM
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
for a good size.
If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
appreciated.
- cjkogan111

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 10th 06, 04:02 PM
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> for a good size.
> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> appreciated.
> - cjkogan111

How about going into the bike shop to find the right size and 'reward'
the people that help you by buying one there. You won't save a ton with
MO, considering shipping $ and if ya kill it, you can use th shop for
crash replacement warranty. If ya buy it MO, you are on your own. Look
for the least expensive one that fits yer head well..so you will
actually use it. Tough to do with MO. Besides, it's cheap and cheezy to
try something one at a store then order it MO.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 10th 06, 04:03 PM
SMS wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> > about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> > head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> > purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> > that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> > without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> > sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> > to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> > for a good size.
> > If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> > appreciated.
> > - cjkogan111
>
> Look for a Snell approved helmet, Specialized makes them. Not sold mail
> order, except direct from Specialized.

well, any helmet sold in the US is 'approved'...not just Specialized.

Tom Keats
October 10th 06, 04:35 PM
In article m>,
writes:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> that also works.

If I recall correctly, my Bell Adrenaline[tm] bucket cost
somewhere in the $30+ range. One of the main selling points
for me was its "Quick Fit" feature, which is basically a
built-in adjustable headband, much like that in a hard hat.
No fussin' around with adjustment pads.

If you just want an ostensible helmet in order to be legal,
they can be obtained quite cheaply at 2nd-hand stores.
No guarantee the previous owner didn't have cooties, though.

> I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> without worrying about it getting stolen.

I just run the U of my U-lock through the helmet straps
while I lock my bike to the rack or parking meter.
That is, when I'm not to lazy to simply take the
darn thing off.

cheers,
Tom
--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Pat Lamb
October 10th 06, 05:40 PM
qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> wrote:
>> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
>> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
>> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
>> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
>> that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
>> without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
>> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
>> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
>> for a good size.
>> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
>> appreciated.
>
> How about going into the bike shop to find the right size and 'reward'
> the people that help you by buying one there. You won't save a ton with
> MO, considering shipping $ and if ya kill it, you can use th shop for
> crash replacement warranty. If ya buy it MO, you are on your own. Look
> for the least expensive one that fits yer head well..so you will
> actually use it. Tough to do with MO. Besides, it's cheap and cheezy to
> try something one at a store then order it MO.

I addition to which, most of the helmets in the LBSs near me are less
expensive than most of the ones available by mail/web order. Let's see,
you can make sure it fits, and it costs less -- this is one of those
times supporting an LBS is clearly your best choice.

Pat

October 10th 06, 05:46 PM
qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> SMS wrote:
> >
> > Look for a Snell approved helmet, Specialized makes them. Not sold mail
> > order, except direct from Specialized.
>
> well, any helmet sold in the US is 'approved'...not just Specialized.

And the impact absorption standards are not very different for Snell
vs. CPSC.

If you want more impact protection, you'll do better to just buy a
cheap, heavy helmet, instead of scouring around for the rare
Snell-approved hats.

Cheap helmets tend to offer more protection than expensive (light,
full-of-holes) helmets.

- Frank Krygowski

landotter
October 10th 06, 06:17 PM
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> for a good size.
> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> appreciated.
> - cjkogan111

The chances of needing a helmet when doing what I'm assuming is
utility cycling, is so little as to be silly. Go Dutch, get a jaunty
cap instead, and focus on road skills, lighting, and other safety
measures that actually matter. If you can't find that helmet you so
desire, may I recommend a Tibetan prayer wheel as a proper analogue.

/nomex

Chris Y.F.N.W.
October 11th 06, 12:23 AM
<original post here>

The best bet is to go to shopping. As with anything worn, it's always
better to try it on and be assured of a proper fit. All helmets must
pass test standards (and the salesman can explain these as well), so the
determining factor IS fit.

Plus, when you add shipping the cost isn't that much different

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Chris Y.F.N.W.
October 11th 06, 12:30 AM
Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 9:46am (EDT-3) From:

>And the impact absorption standards are
>not very different for Snell vs. CPSC.

>- Frank Krygowski

If I remember correctly, CPSC tests are condected with a drop of three
feet, whereas Snell uses a six foot drop (feel free to correct me on
this if I'm wrong).

Since acceleration is geometric, this would result in a signifigant
difference I would think.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

October 11th 06, 01:13 AM
Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> <original post here>
>
> The best bet is to go to shopping. As with anything worn, it's always
> better to try it on and be assured of a proper fit. All helmets must
> pass test standards (and the salesman can explain these as well),

Chris, when was the last time a salesperson at a bike shop offered you
an explanation for anything that wasn't at least 55% marketing hype and
pure BS? The good shops are far and few between.

> so the
> determining factor IS fit.

Agreed.

> Plus, when you add shipping the cost isn't that much different

In many cases, the shipping is equal to or less than the various sales
taxes. And the MO/internet prices can be much lower.

Don't get me wrong, a good LBS will *earn* your business by giving you
good advice. I just can't see rewarding a bu**sh**ing bozo by giving
then your business. In that case, you should do whatever works to your
best advantage.

October 11th 06, 02:14 AM
Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 9:46am (EDT-3) From:
>

> >And the impact absorption standards are
> >not very different for Snell vs. CPSC.
>
> >- Frank Krygowski
>
> If I remember correctly, CPSC tests are condected with a drop of three
> feet, whereas Snell uses a six foot drop (feel free to correct me on
> this if I'm wrong).

Sure, no problem. You _are_ wrong. The drop heights are quite
similar.

Both tests use a disembodied headform (no body attached) with the test
helmet strapped to it. The headform is fitted with accelerometers to
measure the impact.

CPSC drops the headform from 2.0 meters (just over 6 feet). The Snell
B90 test also drops the headform from 2 meters. The Snell B95 test
drops it from 2.2 meters.

The impact velocity for the CPSC or Snell B90 test is 6.26 m/s (= 20.6
ft/s, or 14.0 mph). For the Snell B95 test, it's 6.56 m/s ( = 21.6
ft/s, 14.7 mph).

- Frank Krygowski

SMS
October 11th 06, 02:36 AM
Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 9:46am (EDT-3) From:
>

>> And the impact absorption standards are
>> not very different for Snell vs. CPSC.
>
>> - Frank Krygowski
>
> If I remember correctly, CPSC tests are condected with a drop of three
> feet, whereas Snell uses a six foot drop (feel free to correct me on
> this if I'm wrong).
>
> Since acceleration is geometric, this would result in a signifigant
> difference I would think.

CPSC uses a 2 meter drop, Snell an impact of 100 J which is about 2.2
meters according to their site.

Another difference is that CPSC lets manufacturers self-certify.

SMS
October 11th 06, 03:35 AM
wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> for a good size.
> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> appreciated.
> - cjkogan111

Look for a Snell approved helmet, Specialized makes them. Not sold mail
order, except direct from Specialized.

SMS
October 11th 06, 04:31 AM
qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
>>> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
>>> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
>>> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
>>> that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
>>> without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
>>> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
>>> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
>>> for a good size.
>>> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
>>> appreciated.
>>> - cjkogan111
>> Look for a Snell approved helmet, Specialized makes them. Not sold mail
>> order, except direct from Specialized.
>
> well, any helmet sold in the US is 'approved'...not just Specialized.

Very few helmets sold in the U.S. are Snell approved. Most are claimed
to comply with the lesser CPSC requirements, but there is no independent
testing.

You can find a list at
"http://www.smf.org/certlist/std_B-90A_B-95A_B-90C_B-95C.html"

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 11th 06, 01:54 PM
landotter wrote:
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> > about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> > head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> > purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> > that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> > without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> > sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> > to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> > for a good size.
> > If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> > appreciated.
> > - cjkogan111
>
> The chances of needing a helmet when doing what I'm assuming is
> utility cycling, is so little as to be silly. Go Dutch, get a jaunty
> cap instead, and focus on road skills, lighting, and other safety
> measures that actually matter. If you can't find that helmet you so
> desire, may I recommend a Tibetan prayer wheel as a proper analogue.
>
> /nomex

C'mon, I am not a helmet nazi, don't like mandatory anything buta
helmet 'will never hurt, may help'...

October 11th 06, 03:50 PM
qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> C'mon, I am not a helmet nazi, don't like mandatory anything buta
> helmet 'will never hurt, may help'...

Always. No matter what you're doing. Right? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

October 11th 06, 03:58 PM
qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> > > about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> > > head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> > > purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> > > that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> > > without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> > > sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> > > to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> > > for a good size.
> > > If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> > > appreciated.
> > > - cjkogan111
> >
> > The chances of needing a helmet when doing what I'm assuming is
> > utility cycling, is so little as to be silly. Go Dutch, get a jaunty
> > cap instead, and focus on road skills, lighting, and other safety
> > measures that actually matter. If you can't find that helmet you so
> > desire, may I recommend a Tibetan prayer wheel as a proper analogue.
> >
> > /nomex
>
> C'mon, I am not a helmet nazi, don't like mandatory anything buta
> helmet 'will never hurt, may help'...

I'm just waiting for one of the anti-helmet psychos to come out of the
woodwork to tell us how helmets will:

a) make it more likely you will hit your head

b) make it more likely you will receive a brain injury

c) make it more likely you will be hit by a car

d) discourage cycling

e) make cycling more dangerous

Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
important. ;-)

October 11th 06, 04:07 PM
wrote:

> Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
> important. ;-)

Like planning a long-delayed trip to New York?

Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
bike service? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Bill Sornson
October 11th 06, 04:17 PM
wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
>> important. ;-)
>
> Like planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
>
> Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
> bike service? ;-)

Ah, so if you put a winkie at the end, it's not condescending and insulting?

You're a pompous gasbag, Frank. ;-)

October 11th 06, 04:34 PM
wrote:
> wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/zmarz
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Restoring what the gasbag snipped)

Funny thing, mention "anti-helmet psycho and look who appears!

> Like planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
>
> Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
> bike service? ;-)
>
> - Frank Krygowski

SMS
October 11th 06, 04:51 PM
wrote:

> I'm just waiting for one of the anti-helmet psychos to come out of the
> woodwork to tell us how helmets will:
>
> a) make it more likely you will hit your head
>
> b) make it more likely you will receive a brain injury
>
> c) make it more likely you will be hit by a car
>
> d) discourage cycling
>
> e) make cycling more dangerous
>
> Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
> important. ;-)

Those may have been funny one time, but now they're just annoying. A
good kill-file works wonders.

October 11th 06, 05:23 PM
SMS wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > I'm just waiting for one of the anti-helmet psychos to come out of the
> > woodwork to tell us how helmets will:
> >
> > a) make it more likely you will hit your head
> >
> > b) make it more likely you will receive a brain injury
> >
> > c) make it more likely you will be hit by a car
> >
> > d) discourage cycling
> >
> > e) make cycling more dangerous
> >
> > Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
> > important. ;-)
>
> Those may have been funny one time, but now they're just annoying. A
> good kill-file works wonders.

Personally, I enjoy watching anti-helmet psychos such as Krygowski and
jtaylor making complete asses of themselves. YMMV.

October 11th 06, 05:26 PM
wrote:
> wrote:
> >
> > Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
> > important. ;-)
>
> Like planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
>
> Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
> bike service? ;-)

Such anger and hostility, my little Gasbag! :-(

I think we all know what your problem is, this stuff will help:

http://tinyurl.com/36pzf

;-)

Larry Farrell
October 11th 06, 05:38 PM

wrote:

>>>Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
>>>important. ;-)
>>
>>Like planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
>>
>>Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
>>bike service? ;-)
>>

> Such anger and hostility, my little Gasbag! :-(
>
> I think we all know what your problem is, this stuff will help:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/36pzf
>
> ;-)

Even acknowledging how cheesy the product is, how
could anyone use a model with that ridiculous a
grin as a heading for their advertisement.

--
Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D.
Professor of Microbiology

SMS
October 11th 06, 06:39 PM
wrote:

> Personally, I enjoy watching anti-helmet psychos such as Krygowski and
> jtaylor making complete asses of themselves. YMMV.

It was amusing at first, but to watch it over and over again is too much.

di
October 11th 06, 06:43 PM
> wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi,
> I'm looking to purchase a helmet. I've had my old one for a while, and
> about a year ago it got caught in the spokes of my bike. And not, my
> head wasn't in it at the same time. Anyway, I think it is about time to
> purchase a new one. So I'm wondering where I can find something cheap -
> that also works. I like to be able to leave it hanging on my bike
> without worrying about it getting stolen. I don't know too much about
> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> for a good size.
> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> appreciated.
> - cjkogan111

Oh NO!!! Not another helmet thread, will see you in 25-30 days.

catzz66
October 11th 06, 06:57 PM
SMS wrote:
> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I enjoy watching anti-helmet psychos such as Krygowski and
>> jtaylor making complete asses of themselves. YMMV.
>

> It was amusing at first, but to watch it over and over again is too much.

It is ridiculous to turn this thread into a pro or con helmet thread
anyway. The OP asked for a helmet recommendation and got several good
ones. He is probably long gone by now, enjoying his skid lid.

October 11th 06, 07:31 PM
wrote:
> wrote:
> >

> > ... planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
> >
> > Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
> > bike service? ;-)
> >

> Such anger and hostility, my little Gasbag! :-(

Sorry, bad guess, as usual! I'm feeling no anger at all, Ozark.

I thought it funny that you leapt in with the "anti-helmet psychos"
remark, as if you wanted to resurrect the argument...

.... despite your chickening out of meeting JFT face to face. That was
after your "manly" challenge in the argument's previous round.

But I guess the flat fixing business is down, so you've got plenty of
time for Usenet, but no money for New York? :-)

- Frank Krygowski

SMS
October 11th 06, 08:18 PM
catzz66 wrote:

> It is ridiculous to turn this thread into a pro or con helmet thread
> anyway. The OP asked for a helmet recommendation and got several good
> ones. He is probably long gone by now, enjoying his skid lid.

Wow, I used to have a Skid Lid.

October 11th 06, 08:26 PM
wrote:
> wrote:
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > ... planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
> > >
> > > Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
> > > bike service? ;-)
> > >

> > Such anger and hostility, my little Gasbag! :-(
>
> Sorry, bad guess, as usual! I'm feeling no anger at all, Ozark.
>
> I thought it funny that you leapt in with the "anti-helmet psychos"
> remark, as if you wanted to resurrect the argument...

Not anywhere near as funny as the fact that you answered the call, my
little Gasbag. It's nice to see you have the self awareness to
recognize yourself as an "anti-helmet psycho". It's a first step in
getting the help you need.....

> ... despite your chickening out of meeting JFT face to face. That was
> after your "manly" challenge in the argument's previous round.
>
> But I guess the flat fixing business is down, so you've got plenty of
> time for Usenet, but no money for New York? :-)

Don't forget to take your Enzyte, Frankie. Maybe you'll get a little
respect in the bedro.., er, neighborhood.

October 11th 06, 08:37 PM

> Don't forget to take your Enzyte...

Damn! _Still_ no customers??? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

October 11th 06, 09:27 PM
wrote:
> wrote:

> > Don't forget to take your Enzyte...
>
> Damn! _Still_ no customers??? ;-)

Too bad you can't take the hard-on you have about helmets into the
bedroom, eh, Frankie?

catzz66
October 11th 06, 09:44 PM
SMS wrote:
> catzz66 wrote:
>
>> It is ridiculous to turn this thread into a pro or con helmet thread
>> anyway. The OP asked for a helmet recommendation and got several good
>> ones. He is probably long gone by now, enjoying his skid lid.
>

> Wow, I used to have a Skid Lid.

Ya learn something new every day. I didn't know that it ever was a
brand name. Did you have a Brain Bucket too? =]

dgk
October 12th 06, 01:56 PM
On 11 Oct 2006 09:23:42 -0700, wrote:

>SMS wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm just waiting for one of the anti-helmet psychos to come out of the
>> > woodwork to tell us how helmets will:
>> >
>> > a) make it more likely you will hit your head
>> >
>> > b) make it more likely you will receive a brain injury
>> >
>> > c) make it more likely you will be hit by a car
>> >
>> > d) discourage cycling
>> >
>> > e) make cycling more dangerous
>> >
>> > Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
>> > important. ;-)
>>
>> Those may have been funny one time, but now they're just annoying. A
>> good kill-file works wonders.
>
>Personally, I enjoy watching anti-helmet psychos such as Krygowski and
>jtaylor making complete asses of themselves. YMMV.

I'm a bit on the fence with helmets and am sort of persuaded by some
of the arguments. The strongest, IMHO, is that it discourages biking
thus making biking less safe for everyone. I do know people who won't
commute by bike because helmets cause, well, helmet hair.

Plus, it's often a problem figuring out what to do with a helmet when
you get somewhere. I hate carrying the stupid thing around but it
costs too much to just leave with the bike.

I did see someone wearing a helmet (football style) while surfing the
other day. I've worn a hat while surfing (the floppy kind with draw
strings under the chin) but it doesn't work very well. It was an
attempt to avoid melanoma.

The helmet sort of makes sense though. I only started surfing last
year and I'm not very good at it, and I have been hit in the head by
my nine foot surfboard. It hurts. No one surfs for any length of time
without picking up some stitches here and there. Perhaps it's time for
mandatory surf helmet laws. Boy, will that ever ruin the image! But
it's a whole new market for the helmet manufacturers. Maybe it's time
to shut up.

Qui si parla Campagnolo
October 12th 06, 02:15 PM
wrote:
> qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> >
> > C'mon, I am not a helmet nazi, don't like mandatory anything buta
> > helmet 'will never hurt, may help'...
>
> Always. No matter what you're doing. Right? ;-)
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Last post as I know how excited you all anti helmet people can get but
like I said, when riding, 'can't hurt you, 'may' help you'.

October 12th 06, 03:29 PM
wrote:
> Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> > <original post here>
> >
> > The best bet is to go to shopping. As with anything worn, it's always
> > better to try it on and be assured of a proper fit. All helmets must
> > pass test standards (and the salesman can explain these as well),
>
> Chris, when was the last time a salesperson at a bike shop offered you
> an explanation for anything that wasn't at least 55% marketing hype and
> pure BS? The good shops are far and few between.

Monday afternoon when the mechanic called to tell me he'd found a fork
that fit my bike _but_ it was *red* and was I willing to have a *red*
fork on my blue and silver bike??

-M

(I fail to see the point of having standards if you're going to have a
bike that doesn't conform to those standards. Threadless headset but
all of the normal threadless forks were too big for it... )

Art Harris
October 12th 06, 04:01 PM
wrote:

> I don't know too much about
> sizes and stuff, but I figure that if I need to buy it off the internet
> to get a good deal, I can drop by the bike store in advance and look
> for a good size.

Oh? You're going to waste the bike shop's time to help you figure out
the correct size and then buy online? I guess you do the same with
shoes. Not very nice.

> If you have any suggestions or websites, they would me much
> appreciated.

www.bhsi.org

Art Harris

Chris Y.F.N.W.
October 13th 06, 03:18 AM
Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 5:13pm (EDT-3) From:

>Chris, when was the last time a
>salesperson at a bike shop offered you
>an explanation for anything that wasn't at
>least 55% marketing hype and pure BS?

That would be the last time I was at a bike shop.

>The good shops are far and few
>between.

I'm fortunate to know of one :-3)

I'm also fortunate enough to have the experience to rarely need advice
from the store owner. What I was getting at is it's hard to see how a
bucket will fit on your head from a picture in a glossy. At least at an
LBS, you can try them on.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Chris Y.F.N.W.
October 13th 06, 03:20 AM
Thanks, Frank. I stand humbly corrected

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

October 13th 06, 03:31 AM
Chris Y.F.N.W. wrote:
> Group: rec.bicycles.misc Date: Tue, Oct 10, 2006, 5:13pm (EDT-3) From:
>

> >Chris, when was the last time a
> >salesperson at a bike shop offered you
> >an explanation for anything that wasn't at
> >least 55% marketing hype and pure BS?
>
> That would be the last time I was at a bike shop.
>
> >The good shops are far and few
> >between.
>
> I'm fortunate to know of one :-3)
>
> I'm also fortunate enough to have the experience to rarely need advice
> from the store owner. What I was getting at is it's hard to see how a
> bucket will fit on your head from a picture in a glossy.

You also said, regarding helmet safety standards, "the salesman will
explain it to you", or words to that effect. That's what I was
questioning.

> At least at an
> LBS, you can try them on.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
October 14th 06, 06:02 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> wrote:
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Then, we can all have a good laugh and get back to something more
> >> important. ;-)
> >
> > Like planning a long-delayed trip to New York?
> >
> > Or like hoping someone... anyone! ... will phone asking for discount
> > bike service? ;-)
>
> Ah, so if you put a winkie at the end, it's not condescending and insulting?...

That is what the importer of titanium frame bicycles that are made in
mainland China and sold using a variety of hot pepper as a brand name
claims.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Google