PDA

View Full Version : Cargo

Ted
October 18th 06, 11:40 PM
I am sorry these are not all bicycles...but you gotta love these
pictures. How many bales do you suppose Bill has carried at once?

http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/

Ted.

Cathy Kearns
October 19th 06, 01:12 AM
"Ted" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> I am sorry these are not all bicycles...but you gotta love these
> pictures. How many bales do you suppose Bill has carried at once?
>
> http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/
>
> Ted.

These are great. See, you don't need an SUV. My favorite has to be the bike
carrying the car.

Leo Lichtman
October 19th 06, 03:17 AM
"Cathy Kearns" wrote: These are great. See, you don't need an SUV. My
favorite has to be the bike carrying the car.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cathy, I don't think these are all real. I am very doubtful about the bike
carrying the car--I have examined it looking for clues, and I couldn't find
any, but I am still very suspicious. The bike carrying the refrigerator
has to be fake. A bike carrying an off-center load like that has to be
leaning enough to put the center of gravity over the wheels.

Photoshop can do some amazing things in the hands of a skilled practicioner.

Mike Kruger
October 19th 06, 04:02 AM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in message

> "Cathy Kearns" wrote: These are great. See, you don't need an SUV. My
> favorite has to be the bike carrying the car.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Cathy, I don't think these are all real. I am very doubtful about the
> bike carrying the car--I have examined it looking for clues, and I
> couldn't find any, but I am still very suspicious. The bike carrying the
> refrigerator has to be fake. A bike carrying an off-center load like that
> has to be leaning enough to put the center of gravity over the wheels.
>
> Photoshop can do some amazing things in the hands of a skilled
> practicioner.

Some of them may be photoshopped, but I did see very heavily loaded bicycles
in Cambodia in two days of bike renting there (near Angor Wat). I saw
several people carrying construction material of various kinds that you
wouldn't think they could carry. I admit I didn't see anything quite like
the refrigerator, though.

--
Mike Kruger
The slowest of the Greek philosophers was Aristurtle.

Solvang Cyclist
October 19th 06, 07:07 AM
"Cathy Kearns" > wrote in news:spzZg.12313
:

> My favorite has to be the bike
> carrying the car.

I could be wrong, but I think that one is a fake.

The guys in the helmet flame wars threads must LOVE the one of the adult
on the scooter with a helmet and two children (one in a laundry basket)
both without helmets!

My favorite: The guy on the back of the cycle holding a mirror in front
of him. Not as amazing a payload as most of the others, but a wonderful
image. (It doesn't even matter if this one was staged by the photographer
or not, it's still a great photo.)

Nice note to end the night.

Ciao,
David

Solvang Cyclist
October 19th 06, 07:20 AM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in
:

> Cathy, I don't think these are all real. I am very doubtful about the
> bike carrying the car--I have examined it looking for clues, and I
> couldn't find any, but I am still very suspicious.

One *possible* clue is that the car appears to be in sharper focus than
almost anything else in the photo. Also, there doesn't appear to be
anything keeping the car on the front of the bike (just balanced on the
wire basket?) The front tires don't appear to be flattened by the load.
Finally, there appears to be a long shadow on the sidewalk to the front and
right of the car, but nothing in the photo to make the shadow.

David

ihccab
October 19th 06, 03:06 PM
Solvang Cyclist wrote:

> Finally, there appears to be a long shadow on the sidewalk to the front and
> right of the car, but nothing in the photo to make the shadow.

Actually, I'd say the shadow supports that the picture is real. The
shape and position of the shadow is consistent with that of the
tricycle.

In any event, they're a great set of fun pics.

Leo Lichtman
October 19th 06, 06:50 PM
"ihccab" wrote: Actually, I'd say the shadow supports that the picture is
real. The shape and position of the shadow is consistent with that of the
tricycle.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No, not the shadow "cast" by the car. I think David is referring to the
shadow out in front of the trike, to the right, on the sidewalk. All the
rest of the shadows place the sun as coming from upper left. This would
require a large object up high, in front of the trike. It ain't there.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
In any event, they're a great set of fun pics.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OT (from bicycles): This raises a huge philosophical question about digital
photography. Many, from the old school, object to digital manipulation
alltogether. Others readily accept "improvements" which do not change the
meaning of the picture. When something utterly outrageous is the total
thrust of the picture, the viewer is faced with all sorts of
questions--which belong in another group.

Solvang Cyclist
October 20th 06, 02:15 AM
"Leo Lichtman" > wrote in
:

> "ihccab" wrote: Actually, I'd say the shadow supports that the
> picture is real. The shape and position of the shadow is consistent
> with that of the tricycle.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> No, not the shadow "cast" by the car. I think David is referring to
> the shadow out in front of the trike, to the right, on the sidewalk.
> All the rest of the shadows place the sun as coming from upper left.
> This would require a large object up high, in front of the trike. It
> ain't there.

Yes, that's the one.

> In any event, they're a great set of fun pics.

Also true!

> OT (from bicycles): This raises a huge philosophical question about
> digital photography. Many, from the old school, object to digital
> manipulation alltogether. Others readily accept "improvements" which
> do not change the meaning of the picture. When something utterly
> outrageous is the total thrust of the picture, the viewer is faced
> with all sorts of questions--which belong in another group.

I have a friend that patented a "trusted digital camera" design. The idea
was that the camera would digitally watermark the image with a public key
encryption such that ANY manipulation of the original image would be
detectable. Plus the watermark would provide the serial number of the
camera and a date/time stamp. This would give the images from such a
camera a greater credibility than even an image from a film camera.
Strangely, none of the large camera makers were interested. It seems that
they felt the public didn't care about proving the integrity of images
and while the design was simple enough, the "concept" was too hard for
most people to comprehend.

Cheers,
David

Tom Keats
October 20th 06, 04:11 AM
In article >,
"Cathy Kearns" > writes:

> "Ted" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> I am sorry these are not all bicycles...but you gotta love these
>> pictures. How many bales do you suppose Bill has carried at once?
>>
>> http://aistigave.hit.bg/Logistics/
>>
>> Ted.
>
> These are great. See, you don't need an SUV. My favorite has to be the bike
> carrying the car.

The one with all those poor pigs crammed together reminds me
of our local buses.

cheers,
Tom

-- Nothing is safe from me.