PDA

View Full Version : From Acadia (CA) To LA (CA)

mckim
October 30th 06, 10:36 AM
How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does anyone done that?

Ryan Cousineau
October 30th 06, 03:14 PM
In article >,
"mckim" > wrote:

> How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does anyone
> done that?

You just need to find someone who has ridden from Acadia to Florida, and
another person who has done Florida to California. The root of the sum
of the inverse of the squares of their times is the time it would have
taken them to get from Acadia to LA, thanks to Pythagoras' theorem.

Or you could punch some numbers into the gmaps pedometer. Seriously, the
time will be entirely limited by how fast you are on long trips.
Somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 months would be a good guess.

Claire Petersky
October 30th 06, 04:42 PM
> How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does
> anyone done that?

Do you mean "Arcadia"? I am not familiar with Acadia. Depending on where you
want to arrive in L.A., it's about 20 miles. So, that means an hour or two,
depending on your route and speed.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Werehatrack
October 30th 06, 11:22 PM
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 02:36:53 -0800, "mckim" > wrote:

>How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does anyone done that?

Acadia? DYM Arcadia, perhaps? That run's done by various people on a
fairly regular basis; how long it would take for *you* depends on
which starting and finishing points are involved, what route you take,
and most important, your own ability as a cyclist. I know people who
could easily do it in under an hour from city center to city center,
and others who would DNF for a variety of reasons. In between is the
vast majority who would take varying amounts of time.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
October 31st 06, 02:33 AM
Claire Petersky wrote:
> > How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does
> > anyone done that?
>
> Do you mean "Arcadia"? I am not familiar with Acadia. Depending on where you
> want to arrive in L.A., it's about 20 miles. So, that means an hour or two,
> depending on your route and speed.

If you can ride from Acadia [1] to Los Angeles in an hour or two, you
are an EXTREMELY FAST cyclist!

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia>.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Leo Lichtman
October 31st 06, 02:59 AM
Isn't that where the Cajuns were from originally?

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
October 31st 06, 03:16 AM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> Isn't that where the Cajuns were from originally?

It is theorized that "Cajun" is a corruption of "Acadian".

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Ryan Cousineau
October 31st 06, 04:16 AM
In article . com>,
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > wrote:

> Claire Petersky wrote:
> > > How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does
> > > anyone done that?
> >
> > Do you mean "Arcadia"? I am not familiar with Acadia. Depending on where you
> > want to arrive in L.A., it's about 20 miles. So, that means an hour or two,
> > depending on your route and speed.
>
> If you can ride from Acadia [1] to Los Angeles in an hour or two, you
> are an EXTREMELY FAST cyclist!
>
> [1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia>.

Huh. The funny thing is that since Acadia is in Canada, I totally
assumed the OP was making a play on the abbreviations, but sincerely
asking about riding from Nova Scotia, Canada, to LA, California.

In retrospect, I suppose they did mean Arcadia.

To get from Acadia to LA in an hour or two, you would have to be an
extremely fast jet aircraft.

Richard B
October 31st 06, 04:57 AM
"mckim" > wrote in
:

> How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does
> anyone done that? ------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C6FBCC.42AB2390
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1106" name=GENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>How long does it take ride from Acadia
> (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does anyone done
> that?</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0030_01C6FBCC.42AB2390--

From Arcadia Park (Santa Anita Ave & Huntington Dr) to LA City Hall...

17.89 miles

Check... http://www.bikemetro.com/home/home.asp

Similar to Mapquest but for bicycles; Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside and
San Bernardino Counties.

With the correct settngs it will include Class 1, 2 and 3 bike routes if
available.

Another good So Cal website is:
http://labikepaths.com/

A good choice if this is a commute, take the Gold Line, $3.00;
Ride your bike to the Sierra Madre station catch the Gold Line to Union
Station, then either take one the other metro lines towards your final
destination or jump back on your bike and ride from there.

Rich

Richard B
October 31st 06, 05:19 AM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote in
:

> In article . com>,

>> > Do you mean "Arcadia"? I am not familiar with Acadia. Depending on
>> > where you want to arrive in L.A., it's about 20 miles. So, that
>> > means an hour or two, depending on your route and speed.
>>
>> If you can ride from Acadia [1] to Los Angeles in an hour or two, you
>> are an EXTREMELY FAST cyclist!
>>
>> [1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia>.
>
> Huh. The funny thing is that since Acadia is in Canada, I totally
> assumed the OP was making a play on the abbreviations, but sincerely
> asking about riding from Nova Scotia, Canada, to LA, California.
>
> In retrospect, I suppose they did mean Arcadia.
>
> To get from Acadia to LA in an hour or two, you would have to be an
> extremely fast jet aircraft.

I presume that the city the OP is refering to is Arcadia, California.
Arcadia is the city just to the east of Pasadena at the base of the San
Gabriel Mountains.

An excellent School district with an excellent music program.
See the marching band in action.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-05WbPQUEZ8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vzO8WkRho1s

(I can't help it, I'm a band dad...)

Rich

Solvang Cyclist
October 31st 06, 06:06 AM
Ryan Cousineau > wrote in news:rcousine-
:

> To get from Acadia to LA in an hour or two, you would have to be an
> extremely fast jet aircraft.

Actually, the only thing that's fast enough (as far as the public knows) is
the Space Shuttle.

The fastest "known" aircraft (the SR-71) set a speed record of 59 minutes
from NY to LA. A shorter distance than from Nova Scotia to LA. Of course,
that was as fast as they let the SR-71 fly while the public was watching.
Its actual top speed is classified, as is the speed of anything that might
be faster.

Cheers,
David

Werehatrack
October 31st 06, 07:10 AM
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:14:24 GMT, Ryan Cousineau >
wrote:

>In article >,
> "mckim" > wrote:
>
>> How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does anyone
>> done that?
>
>You just need to find someone who has ridden from Acadia to Florida, and
>another person who has done Florida to California. The root of the sum
>of the inverse of the squares of their times is the time it would have
>taken them to get from Acadia to LA, thanks to Pythagoras' theorem.

ITYM "root of the sum of the squares"; the "inverse of the" is
spurious.

>Or you could punch some numbers into the gmaps pedometer. Seriously, the
>time will be entirely limited by how fast you are on long trips.
>Somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 months would be a good guess.

Two weeks would be RAAM with generous sleep breaks, and meals while
stopped. Two months is a decent pace for the distance (3700+ miles,
depending on the route chosen) if a loaded tourer is employed.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Leo Lichtman
October 31st 06, 08:37 AM
"Werehatrack" wrote: ITYM "root of the sum of the squares"; the "inverse
of the" is spurious.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Spurious, redundant or misapplied. There is a proper application of
"inverse squares." It has to do with the rate of fall-off of a variable on
a spherical wave front.

catzz66
October 31st 06, 12:20 PM
Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Werehatrack" wrote: ITYM "root of the sum of the squares"; the "inverse
> of the" is spurious.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Spurious, redundant or misapplied. There is a proper application of
> "inverse squares." It has to do with the rate of fall-off of a variable on
> a spherical wave front.

You took the words right outa my mouth, Leo. =]

Ryan Cousineau
November 3rd 06, 03:17 PM
In article >,
Werehatrack > wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 15:14:24 GMT, Ryan Cousineau >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "mckim" > wrote:
> >
> >> How long does it take ride from Acadia (CA) to Los Angles (CA)? Does
> >> anyone
> >> done that?
> >
> >You just need to find someone who has ridden from Acadia to Florida, and
> >another person who has done Florida to California. The root of the sum
> >of the inverse of the squares of their times is the time it would have
> >taken them to get from Acadia to LA, thanks to Pythagoras' theorem.
>
> ITYM "root of the sum of the squares"; the "inverse of the" is
> spurious.

Ooops. I'm probably the only person here with a story from my life that
provides credible evidence that I know the Pythagorean theorem in my
sleep, but when it came to giving the measure in time instead of
distance, I had some sort of bad brain fade.

I know roughly what I was trying to do by inverting the terms, but it
was wrong, and too stupid to explain.

Math jokes are only funny if they're good math,

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home