PDA

View Full Version : biking-related charities

Michelle Rodriguez
January 20th 04, 11:00 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the group. Seems like a fun bunch!

Last year I donated my car to a children's charity and began
cycling to work instead. Everybody wins! This got me thinking about
donating more to bicycling related charities. My company has a
donation-matching program, and it just seems like the right thing
to do.

Has anyone here worked with a bike-related charity, or donated to
one that you feel is particularly worthwhile?

Thanks,
Michelle

Zoot Katz
January 20th 04, 11:23 PM
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:00:48 GMT,
>, Michelle Rodriguez
> wrote:

>Has anyone here worked with a bike-related charity, or donated to
>one that you feel is particularly worthwhile?

Look at their listings of charitable organisations and find a local
one. http://www.ibike.org/
--
zk

Claire Petersky
January 20th 04, 11:56 PM
"Michelle Rodriguez" > wrote in message

> I'm new to the group. Seems like a fun bunch!

Indeed.

> Has anyone here worked with a bike-related charity, or donated to
> one that you feel is particularly worthwhile?

Locally, I would support Bike Works (http://www.bikeworks.org/). I believe
you are nearly always better off donating your money and time in your own
community.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
My bookshelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/Cpetersky

"To forgive is to set the prisoner free and then discover the prisoner
was you."

Coal Porter
January 21st 04, 07:28 AM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:00:48 GMT, Michelle Rodriguez
> wrote:

|Hi,
|
|I'm new to the group. Seems like a fun bunch!
|
|Last year I donated my car to a children's charity and began
|cycling to work instead. Everybody wins! This got me thinking about
|donating more to bicycling related charities. My company has a
|donation-matching program, and it just seems like the right thing
|to do.
|
|Has anyone here worked with a bike-related charity, or donated to
|one that you feel is particularly worthwhile?

One of the clubs I'm in does an event called The Harvest Rides with
the net going to Make-a-wish. It's staggering the amount of effort
that goes into these things and I'd say no volunteer hour you'd be
willing to give will be left behind.

And there's always a posting for some function that needs a volunteer
of some sort, like the MS Tours etc. Maybe there's a club in your area
that can help you get involved. Here's a link:

http://peteandedbooks.com/bclubs.htm

good luck with it,
-c.porter.

|Thanks,
|Michelle

steve
January 21st 04, 11:24 PM
In article >,
says...
> Last year I donated my car to a children's charity and began
> cycling to work instead. Everybody wins! This got me thinking about
> donating more to bicycling related charities.

Not a direct response to your questions, since other folks have
given you some good tips already. I just wanted to point out that
you should be sure to get a deduction for the car you donated. You
deserve it, and it's easy to do. Look up the value on kbb.com. I'm
not sure if you do your taxes yourself or not, but you might
consider itemizing if you don't already, especially if you do more
charitable giving. I itemized for the first time last year, and it
was a snap through Taxbrain.com though I was nervous about it.
Cheaper than an accountant.

Good for you and good luck.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home