PDA

View Full Version : Re: Mouse kills Cyclist ?

dgk
November 14th 06, 02:12 AM
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:26:31 -0500, jk > wrote:

>Here story from Massachusetts that is so exceptionally unusual that
>I'm posting it despite the possibility that it will restart the damn
>helmet debate.
>---------------------------------
>WWLP-TV
>Nov. 13
>BUCKLAND, MASSACHUSETTS (WWLP) A Florence man is dead after suffering
>severe injuries when he crashed his bicycle on a rural road, but it's
>what caused the crashed that is puzzling police. 43-year-old Ronald
>Koester was found lying on the side of the road Thursday afternoon by
>an off duty police officer. And next to the man, was a dead mouse.
>This all happened at the intersection of Avery and Charlemont Roads in
>Buckland. The man was found 40 feet from the intersection by an off
>duty Shelburne Falls officer around noon. First Assistant District
>Attorney Elizabeth Dunphy Farris told 22News, the mouse was found
>freshly deceased in close proximity to the bicycle. The man's death
>has been ruled accidental by the medical examiner. Koester apparently
>went over his handlebars, hitting his head on the ground and smashing
>his helmet. There has been speculation that Koester was attempting to
>avoid hitting the mouse, causing him to lose control, although that
>has not been the confirmed cause. There were no skid marks found at
>the scene, and there is no sign of foul play.
>
>Written by 22News Reporter
>Anthony DiLorenzo
>------------------------------------

Well, no description of the cause of death of the mouse. Perhaps the
mouse saw the bike coming and died of a heart attack. I suppose Mr.
Koester might have hit the mouse and skidded, but then they probably
would have mentioned the state of the mouse, which couldn't have been
good.

Mice are sort of related to squirrels, both being of rodent
persuasion. Perhaps they've learned about the killer squirrels and are
emulating their larger cousins?

Perhaps it was a pet mouse, traveling in Mr. Koester's pocket, who
fell out during the accident and, not having a helmet, had no chance
to survive the fall (oh, what I just did).

Fred
November 14th 06, 02:30 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:26:31 -0500, jk > wrote:
>
>>Here story from Massachusetts that is so exceptionally unusual that
>>I'm posting it despite the possibility that it will restart the damn
>>helmet debate.
>>---------------------------------
>>WWLP-TV
>>Nov. 13
>>BUCKLAND, MASSACHUSETTS (WWLP) A Florence man is dead after suffering
>>severe injuries when he crashed his bicycle on a rural road, but it's
>>what caused the crashed that is puzzling police. 43-year-old Ronald
>>Koester was found lying on the side of the road Thursday afternoon by
>>an off duty police officer. And next to the man, was a dead mouse.
>>This all happened at the intersection of Avery and Charlemont Roads in
>>Buckland. The man was found 40 feet from the intersection by an off
>>duty Shelburne Falls officer around noon. First Assistant District
>>Attorney Elizabeth Dunphy Farris told 22News, the mouse was found
>>freshly deceased in close proximity to the bicycle. The man's death
>>has been ruled accidental by the medical examiner. Koester apparently
>>went over his handlebars, hitting his head on the ground and smashing
>>his helmet. There has been speculation that Koester was attempting to
>>avoid hitting the mouse, causing him to lose control, although that
>>has not been the confirmed cause. There were no skid marks found at
>>the scene, and there is no sign of foul play.
>>
>>Written by 22News Reporter
>>Anthony DiLorenzo
>>------------------------------------
>
> Well, no description of the cause of death of the mouse. Perhaps the
> mouse saw the bike coming and died of a heart attack. I suppose Mr.
> Koester might have hit the mouse and skidded, but then they probably
> would have mentioned the state of the mouse, which couldn't have been
> good.
>
> Mice are sort of related to squirrels, both being of rodent
> persuasion. Perhaps they've learned about the killer squirrels and are
> emulating their larger cousins?
>
> Perhaps it was a pet mouse, traveling in Mr. Koester's pocket, who
> fell out during the accident and, not having a helmet, had no chance
> to survive the fall (oh, what I just did).

I don't know about the helmet, but a mouse guard might have helped.

dgk
November 14th 06, 02:35 AM
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:30:49 +1300, "Fred" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 20:26:31 -0500, jk > wrote:
>>
>>>Here story from Massachusetts that is so exceptionally unusual that
>>>I'm posting it despite the possibility that it will restart the damn
>>>helmet debate.
>>>---------------------------------
>>>WWLP-TV
>>>Nov. 13
>>>BUCKLAND, MASSACHUSETTS (WWLP) A Florence man is dead after suffering
>>>severe injuries when he crashed his bicycle on a rural road, but it's
>>>what caused the crashed that is puzzling police. 43-year-old Ronald
>>>Koester was found lying on the side of the road Thursday afternoon by
>>>an off duty police officer. And next to the man, was a dead mouse.
>>>This all happened at the intersection of Avery and Charlemont Roads in
>>>Buckland. The man was found 40 feet from the intersection by an off
>>>duty Shelburne Falls officer around noon. First Assistant District
>>>Attorney Elizabeth Dunphy Farris told 22News, the mouse was found
>>>freshly deceased in close proximity to the bicycle. The man's death
>>>has been ruled accidental by the medical examiner. Koester apparently
>>>went over his handlebars, hitting his head on the ground and smashing
>>>his helmet. There has been speculation that Koester was attempting to
>>>avoid hitting the mouse, causing him to lose control, although that
>>>has not been the confirmed cause. There were no skid marks found at
>>>the scene, and there is no sign of foul play.
>>>
>>>Written by 22News Reporter
>>>Anthony DiLorenzo
>>>------------------------------------
>>
>> Well, no description of the cause of death of the mouse. Perhaps the
>> mouse saw the bike coming and died of a heart attack. I suppose Mr.
>> Koester might have hit the mouse and skidded, but then they probably
>> would have mentioned the state of the mouse, which couldn't have been
>> good.
>>
>> Mice are sort of related to squirrels, both being of rodent
>> persuasion. Perhaps they've learned about the killer squirrels and are
>> emulating their larger cousins?
>>
>> Perhaps it was a pet mouse, traveling in Mr. Koester's pocket, who
>> fell out during the accident and, not having a helmet, had no chance
>> to survive the fall (oh, what I just did).
>
>I don't know about the helmet, but a mouse guard might have helped.

I knew bad puns were coming. It's too good a target. Just move the
mouse over the bicycle and click.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home