PDA

View Full Version : Back at the Ranch - Landis my ride again

Davey Crockett
November 15th 06, 05:13 PM
Rumours are percolating down that the lab has admitted to making a
mistake in Floyd' sample analysis

Dunno if there is any truth to them though

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. L'Equipe and Het Nieuwsblad are reporting them too
quoting the lab director as saying the error was minor

--
Davey

RicodJour
November 15th 06, 05:23 PM
Davey Crockett wrote:
> Rumours are percolating down that the lab has admitted to making a
> mistake in Floyd' sample analysis
>
> Dunno if there is any truth to them though
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmm. L'Equipe and Het Nieuwsblad are reporting them too
> quoting the lab director as saying the error was minor

Plan B. Admit to a minor transgression in hopes that it will satisfy
people and they'll move on before the bigger stuff becomes public.
Plan B doesn't work - just ask Ted Haggard.

gds
November 15th 06, 06:01 PM
RicodJour wrote:
> Davey Crockett wrote:
> > Rumours are percolating down that the lab has admitted to making a
> > mistake in Floyd' sample analysis
> >
> > Dunno if there is any truth to them though
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmmmmm. L'Equipe and Het Nieuwsblad are reporting them too
> > quoting the lab director as saying the error was minor
>
> Plan B. Admit to a minor transgression in hopes that it will satisfy
> people and they'll move on before the bigger stuff becomes public.
> Plan B doesn't work - just ask Ted Haggard.

I'm the biggest cynic around when it comes to doping and high end
athletics. But if the lab really mis labeled the sample as they seem to
be saying I'd think it needs to be thrown out- meaning there is no B
sample and thus no proof of anything. If it was simply a typing error
that was corrected immediately then I don't have an issue but if the
sample was labeled and then stored and only then was there a
determination of a labeling error I don't see how it can count.

Mike Jacoubowsky
November 15th 06, 06:13 PM
> Rumours are percolating down that the lab has admitted to making a
> mistake in Floyd' sample analysis
>
> Dunno if there is any truth to them though
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmm. L'Equipe and Het Nieuwsblad are reporting them too
> quoting the lab director as saying the error was minor

For a not-too-bad Google translation-

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lequipe.fr%2FCyclisme %2F20061115_134855Dev.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

tispectrum
November 15th 06, 06:17 PM
Report: Lab in Landis case made 'administrative error' on 'B' sample

Report: Lab in Landis case made 'administrative error' on 'B'
sample

November 15, 2006

PARIS (AP) -- The French anti-doping lab that tested American
cyclist Floyd Landis' urine samples made an "administrative error" when
reporting its findings on his backup "B" sample, the French newspaper Le
Monde reported Wednesday.

The newspaper cited unnamed sources as saying the
Chatenay-Malabry laboratory gave the wrong number in its report about
Landis' second sample. Tests on the rider's two samples indicated that
Landis had elevated levels of testosterone in his system when he won the
Tour de France in July.

In its report, the lab wrote that the "B" sample tested was
number 994,474, while the actual number was 995,474, Le Monde said.

"The error, of an administrative nature, does not mean the
positive B sample was not that of the American," Le Monde said. "But it is
being used today by his lawyers ... to contest his positive doping results."

The lab referred questions to the French anti-doping agency,
when contacted Wednesday by The Associated Press. Its secretary general,
Philippe Dautry, said the agency had no official comment and that it was not
for him to say whether an error had occurred with the sample's number. He
said the agency would respond when Landis' case is heard.

Landis' attorney, Howard Jacobs, has already alleged that the
French lab made repeated errors in its analyses, including mismatched sample
code numbers.

In a letter sent to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency in September,
Jacobs said the positive finding on the "B" sample came from a sample number
not assigned to Landis.

"It's incredibly sloppy," Jacobs said at the time. "It has to
make you wonder about the accuracy of the work."

On Sunday, Landis said in a French television interview that the
lab made crucial errors in his tests.

"Even the best people make mistakes," he said. "I can't say that
the lab is always a bad lab, but I can say that in this case it made some
mistakes ... I did not take testosterone."

Le Monde's report came a day after French authorities said they
are investigating a complaint that hackers stole data from computers at the
same lab in an attempt to discredit the lab's credibility.

Tour de France organizers no longer consider Landis the Tour
champion. He will contest the test results at an arbitration hearing in the
United States. If found guilty of doping, he would be formally stripped of
the title and face a two-year ban.

Updated on Wednesday, Nov

"Mike Jacoubowsky" > wrote in message
m...
>> Rumours are percolating down that the lab has admitted to making a
>> mistake in Floyd' sample analysis
>>
>> Dunno if there is any truth to them though
>>
>> Hmmmmmmmmmmm. L'Equipe and Het Nieuwsblad are reporting them too
>> quoting the lab director as saying the error was minor
>
> For a not-too-bad Google translation-
>
> http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lequipe.fr%2FCyclisme %2F20061115_134855Dev.html&langpair=fr%7Cen&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

RonSonic
November 16th 06, 02:09 AM
On 15 Nov 2006 10:01:03 -0800, "gds" > wrote:

>RicodJour wrote:
>> Davey Crockett wrote:
>> > Rumours are percolating down that the lab has admitted to making a
>> > mistake in Floyd' sample analysis
>> >
>> > Dunno if there is any truth to them though
>> >
>> > Hmmmmmmmmmmm. L'Equipe and Het Nieuwsblad are reporting them too
>> > quoting the lab director as saying the error was minor
>>
>> Plan B. Admit to a minor transgression in hopes that it will satisfy
>> people and they'll move on before the bigger stuff becomes public.
>> Plan B doesn't work - just ask Ted Haggard.

>I'm the biggest cynic around when it comes to doping and high end
>athletics. But if the lab really mis labeled the sample as they seem to
>be saying I'd think it needs to be thrown out- meaning there is no B
>sample and thus no proof of anything. If it was simply a typing error
>that was corrected immediately then I don't have an issue but if the
>sample was labeled and then stored and only then was there a
>determination of a labeling error I don't see how it can count.

We've seen the paperwork that Floyd published with the incorrect numbers on it.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but if a man can't look at a bottle and write
the number printed thereon onto a piece of paper and get it right, I'm not
trusting him with anything like comparing carbon isotope ratios.

Ron

RicodJour
November 16th 06, 03:21 AM
RonSonic wrote:

> Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but if a man can't look at a bottle and write
> the number printed thereon onto a piece of paper and get it right, I'm not
> trusting him with anything like comparing carbon isotope ratios.

You're being harsh. Did you see how many numbers there were in a row?
I don't see how anyone could get all of them right. Maybe if they had
a computer or something...

Chris
November 16th 06, 04:29 AM
I'm confused about typing error when I see many hand written numbers that
are "wrong".

BTW a professional is expected to exercise due professional care which is a
level of care greater than that exercised by an ordinary man. A
professional who fails to exercise due care, commits a spices of fraud not
only against he who he serves but against all of those within his profession
and therefore against all who rely on that profession's integrity.
Consequently, a professional who exercises only ordinary care, commits
negligence. A professional who is negligent, commits gross negligence. Of
course the French don't follow English Common Law. Hopefully Landis's
matter will be arbitrated under common law.

Accordingly, the professional lab workers should get the numbers right as
that's an integral part of the test as well as getting the test right. I
presume the protocol for the tests are more complicated than copying a long
number. If they can be excused for frequently mis-transcribing the sample
number, then I guess they should be excused for botching the test. That
doesn't make sense in my book!

"RicodJour" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> RonSonic wrote:
>>
>> Maybe I'm oversimplifying things, but if a man can't look at a bottle and
>> write
>> the number printed thereon onto a piece of paper and get it right, I'm
>> not
>> trusting him with anything like comparing carbon isotope ratios.
>
> You're being harsh. Did you see how many numbers there were in a row?
> I don't see how anyone could get all of them right. Maybe if they had
> a computer or something...

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home