PDA

View Full Version : Versus: TDF in HD?

RLB
November 17th 06, 06:26 PM
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8911210&&#post8911210

HDTV Notebook
Versus to Offer High-Def Channel in January
By John Consoli Media Week Nov. 15, 2006

Comcast-owned cable network Versus is launching a high-definition
channel in January 2007 that will offer golf programming from
Comcast's Golf Channel from noon to 7 p.m. and programming from
Versus from 7 p.m. to noon. Cable operators who carry both Versus
and the Golf Channel will be offered the new high-definition
channel for free. Initially, the channel will be carried on all
Comcast systems and a deal has been done with DirecTV.

The new channel will offer all National Hockey League games
carried by Versus in high definition. The games currently do
not air on Versus in high definition and the NHL game of the
week on Versus airs in high definition on INHD through an
agreement with Versus.

The programming airing on the new HD channel will air
simultaneously on either the Golf Channel or Versus. From
the Golf Channel, it will include live golf tournament
coverage, including the PGA, while, in addition to hockey,
programming from Versus offered in HD will include boxing,
professional bull riding, and assorted hunting and fishing shows.

Plans now call for the Tour de France to be upconverted to
high definition to air on the new channel, but negotiations
are planned to try to get a pure high-definition feed.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/re...t_id=1003408626

alan_atwood
November 17th 06, 09:13 PM
RLB wrote:
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8911210&&#post8911210
>
> HDTV Notebook
> Versus to Offer High-Def Channel in January
> By John Consoli Media Week Nov. 15, 2006
>
> ........Plans now call for the Tour de France to be upconverted to
> high definition to air on the new channel, but negotiations
> are planned to try to get a pure high-definition feed.
>
> http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/re...t_id=1003408626

I'll believe it when I see it. I won't be surprised if there's no TdF,
high def or standard def.

Alan

Chris
November 17th 06, 10:28 PM
If there is a TDF and in HD then I can imagine Phil will need even longer
set of appologies for the signal break-up.

"alan_atwood" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> RLB wrote:
>> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8911210&&#post8911210
>>
>> HDTV Notebook
>> Versus to Offer High-Def Channel in January
>> By John Consoli Media Week Nov. 15, 2006
>>
>> ........Plans now call for the Tour de France to be upconverted to
>> high definition to air on the new channel, but negotiations
>> are planned to try to get a pure high-definition feed.
>>
>> http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/re...t_id=1003408626
>
> I'll believe it when I see it. I won't be surprised if there's no TdF,
> high def or standard def.
>
> Alan

Davey Crockett
November 17th 06, 10:56 PM
"Chris" > writes:

> If there is a TDF and in HD then I can imagine Phil will need even longer
> set of appologies for the signal break-up.

subtle, very subtle

--
Davey Crockett

Bleet Norf
December 7th 06, 12:13 AM
> Plans now call for the Tour de France to be upconverted to
> high definition to air on the new channel, but negotiations
> are planned to try to get a pure high-definition feed.

Hopefully they don't really mean "up-converted". That would be simply
taking the standard def signal and converting to HDTV... and it looks
really bad when you do that. I'll just assume the reporter got his
signals crossed ;)

Ryan Cousineau
December 7th 06, 03:58 AM
In article >,
Bleet Norf > wrote:

> > Plans now call for the Tour de France to be upconverted to
> > high definition to air on the new channel, but negotiations
> > are planned to try to get a pure high-definition feed.
>
> Hopefully they don't really mean "up-converted". That would be simply
> taking the standard def signal and converting to HDTV... and it looks
> really bad when you do that. I'll just assume the reporter got his
> signals crossed ;)

The one thing that makes that halfway worthwhile is that upconverting is
that PAL sources have a bit more resolution than NTSC ones. A proper
conversion would preserve the additional data, and mean that it would be
the best SD signal you had ever seen.

Davey Crockett
December 7th 06, 06:12 AM
Ryan Cousineau > writes:

> In article >,
> Bleet Norf > wrote:
>
> > > Plans now call for the Tour de France to be upconverted to
> > > high definition to air on the new channel, but negotiations
> > > are planned to try to get a pure high-definition feed.
> >
> > Hopefully they don't really mean "up-converted". That would be simply
> > taking the standard def signal and converting to HDTV... and it looks
> > really bad when you do that. I'll just assume the reporter got his
> > signals crossed ;)
>
> The one thing that makes that halfway worthwhile is that upconverting is
> that PAL sources have a bit more resolution than NTSC ones. A proper
> conversion would preserve the additional data, and mean that it would be
> the best SD signal you had ever seen.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau http://www.wiredcola.com/
> "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
> to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

You are right about PAL in HD, the picture here is awesome and loses
only about 1 per cent if you record it to watch later.

Davey's decoder here has a built in hard drive, another modern marvel,
which is also accessible from the 'puter, or the Tele remote,
primarily for storage, but which makes all sorts of wonderful things
possible, most of which he has yet to experiment with since he's too
busy with other stuff right now, like sending Christmas cards to
Political Prisoners around the World, etc.

But after almost 30 years of TV less life, having rented, begged,
borrowed or otherwise got ahold of a Tele for the major bike races in
the past, Davey is glad he took the opportunity to catch up on technology

This extravagence was amply justified when there was an exemplary
performance of Die Fledermaus notwithstanding it having been marred by
being subtitled by the Ruskie channel that aired it

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]

Google