PDA

View Full Version : In the News: EPO found in bags of blood seized in doping investigation

Jason Spaceman
November 25th 06, 02:00 AM
From the article:
Associated Press Sports
Updated: 12:57 p.m. ET Nov 24, 2006

MADRID, Spain (AP) -High levels of EPO were found in some of the bags of
blood seized by Spanish authorities investigating doping in cycling, the
Spanish daily El Mundo reported Friday.

A total of 224 bags of blood, blood products and plasma were seized by
police last May as part of "Operation Puerto,'' and 90 of the bags have
been analyzed chemically.

Eight of the bags tested at a Barcelona laboratory returned with traces of
the hormone EPO, or erythropoietin, which stimulates the production of red
blood cells to improve endurance.

Read it at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15878501/

J. Spaceman

November 25th 06, 02:17 AM
Jason Spaceman wrote:
-High levels of EPO were found (snip)

> Eight of the bags tested at a Barcelona laboratory returned with traces of
> the hormone EPO, (snip)

High levels = traces.

Obviously, these eight bags should immediately be banned for two years.
--D-y

Jenko
November 25th 06, 03:38 PM
wrote:
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> -High levels of EPO were found (snip)
>
>> Eight of the bags tested at a Barcelona laboratory returned with traces of
>> the hormone EPO, (snip)
>
> High levels = traces.

I didn't know there was a reliable blood test for exogenous EPO. Either
this is the Australian off score (hardly a proof of anything) or a
not-yet-approved brand new method. Nothing really solid. This is just an
attempt by investigators to put pressure on riders to get them to
confese doping and declare against Fuentes.

Jenko

MagillaGorilla
November 25th 06, 03:42 PM
Jenko wrote:

> wrote:
>
>>Jason Spaceman wrote:
>>-High levels of EPO were found (snip)
>>

>>>Eight of the bags tested at a Barcelona laboratory returned with traces of
>>>the hormone EPO, (snip)
>>
>>High levels = traces.
>

> I didn't know there was a reliable blood test for exogenous EPO. Either
> this is the Australian off score (hardly a proof of anything) or a
> not-yet-approved brand new method. Nothing really solid. This is just an
> attempt by investigators to put pressure on riders to get them to
> confese doping and declare against Fuentes.
>
> Jenko

WADA actually does have a new EPO test for blood. They still use the
urine test, but the blood test has been in development for a while.

Magilla

RicodJour
November 25th 06, 04:09 PM
On Nov 25, 10:42 am, MagillaGorilla > wrote:
> Jenko wrote:
>
> > I didn't know there was a reliable blood test for exogenous EPO. Either
> > this is the Australian off score (hardly a proof of anything) or a
> > not-yet-approved brand new method. Nothing really solid. This is just an
> > attempt by investigators to put pressure on riders to get them to
> > confese doping and declare against Fuentes.
>

> WADA actually does have a new EPO test for blood. They still use the
> urine test, but the blood test has been in development for a while.

Operative phrase being "in development". I have a Sonic (no relation
to Ron) Lady Seducer in development. I also have a Pulitzer Prize
winning photograph in development. I'll let you know how they turn
out.

Andre
November 25th 06, 04:43 PM
RicodJour wrote:
> On Nov 25, 10:42 am, MagillaGorilla > wrote:
> > Jenko wrote:
> >
> > > I didn't know there was a reliable blood test for exogenous EPO. Either
> > > this is the Australian off score (hardly a proof of anything) or a
> > > not-yet-approved brand new method. Nothing really solid. This is just an
> > > attempt by investigators to put pressure on riders to get them to
> > > confese doping and declare against Fuentes.
> >

> > WADA actually does have a new EPO test for blood. They still use the
> > urine test, but the blood test has been in development for a while.
>
> Operative phrase being "in development". I have a Sonic (no relation
> to Ron) Lady Seducer in development. I also have a Pulitzer Prize
> winning photograph in development. I'll let you know how they turn
> out.

So at least 224 riders are dirty. This is not news. 80 % are using epo
and other illegal enhancements.

Howard Kveck
November 26th 06, 07:11 AM
In article . com>,
" > wrote:

> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> -High levels of EPO were found (snip)
>
> > Eight of the bags tested at a Barcelona laboratory returned with traces of
> > the hormone EPO, (snip)
>
> High levels = traces.
>
> Obviously, these eight bags should immediately be banned for two years.

Bags? Jeez, don't talk about the lady racers like that! It's disrespectful.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Donald Munro
November 26th 06, 08:15 AM

Howard Kveck wrote:
> Bags? Jeez, don't talk about the lady racers like that! It's disrespectful.

Are you suggesting Longo was involved in Puerto ?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home