PDA

View Full Version : Hydrate like it's 1986!

landotter
November 27th 06, 04:37 PM
Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
black bike.

My hydration bladder got a strange infection and some pinhole leaks, so
this is only temporary till I replace it. I wouldn't want to horrify
any Fabrizios Mazzolenis I see out there.

Ozark Bicycle
November 27th 06, 06:28 PM
landotter wrote:
> Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
> labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
> black bike.
>
> My hydration bladder got a strange infection and some pinhole leaks, so
> this is only temporary till I replace it. I wouldn't want to horrify
> any Fabrizios Mazzolenis I see out there.

Black only after Labor Day, please. Something overpriced, with a CF
weave showing through. You know something that makes a statement: "Look
at me, I have more money than brains". ;-)

landotter
November 27th 06, 07:01 PM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
> > labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
> > black bike.
> >
> > My hydration bladder got a strange infection and some pinhole leaks, so
> > this is only temporary till I replace it. I wouldn't want to horrify
> > any Fabrizios Mazzolenis I see out there.
>

> Black only after Labor Day, please. Something overpriced, with a CF
> weave showing through. You know something that makes a statement: "Look
> at me, I have more money than brains". ;-)

Oh, oh, oh! If you could somehow dye CF strands and then weave them so
they're argyle! High-tech-fred! :-)

If I had a vintage white turbo and some white padded plastic tape, the
status quo might work. Would need silver post and stem though. ;-)

Tom Keats
November 27th 06, 08:04 PM
In article . com>,
"landotter" > writes:
> Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
> labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
^^^^^^^^^^
> black bike.
^^^^^^^^^^

In that case, shiny chrome is good. Something like this:
http://www.ahearnecycles.com/flask.htm

Hydrate like it's 1926.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

landotter
November 27th 06, 08:21 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "landotter" > writes:
> > Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
> > labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> > black bike.
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> In that case, shiny chrome is good. Something like this:
> http://www.ahearnecycles.com/flask.htm
>
> Hydrate like it's 1926.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Almost perfect, except for that I just have one set of bottle mounts.
That flask would be spectacular on a two cage bike, with the other cage
holding a soda syphon! Hmmm, rack trunk ice buckets...

Werehatrack
November 27th 06, 09:31 PM
On 27 Nov 2006 08:37:40 -0800, "landotter" >
wrote:

>Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
>labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
>black bike.
>
>My hydration bladder got a strange infection and some pinhole leaks, so
>this is only temporary till I replace it. I wouldn't want to horrify
>any Fabrizios Mazzolenis I see out there.

And just what, good sir, is wrong with the traditional hip flask, into
which one may place the potable of choice with consumptional privacy
assured?

That aside, I believe the prohibition is against black bottles *prior*
to Labor Day (or, here in South Texas, Halloween) while white is
permitted at any time of the year.

In Australia, of course, the schedule is entirely different. (And the
screw cap must have a left-hand thread if sloshing is not to loosen
it.)
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Bill Sornson
November 27th 06, 09:34 PM
Tom Keats wrote:

> Hydrate like it's 1926.

Just posted to our local group:
http://www.intelihealth.com:80/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/7228/510404.html

Bill "I'll stick to coffee" S.

di
November 27th 06, 09:41 PM
"landotter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
> labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
> black bike.

Only if you use it with one of those pastel color Polar bottles, ordinary
freebee give away bottles will never be accepted.

landotter
November 27th 06, 09:42 PM
Bill Sornson wrote:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>
> > Hydrate like it's 1926.
>
> Just posted to our local group:
> http://www.intelihealth.com:80/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/7228/510404.html
>
> Bill "I'll stick to coffee" S.

Loogie fuel! :-D

Although I used to drink skim milk after working out at the Y. Seemed
to help recovery. How many YMCAs have ice cold milk machines these days
other than the off of Belmont in Chicago?

Tom Keats
November 28th 06, 01:40 AM
In article . com>,
"landotter" > writes:

> How many YMCAs have ice cold milk machines these days
> other than the off of Belmont in Chicago?

I dunno, but every DQ I know of, has something like.

Ugh. Straight-up milk. Loogie fuel indeed.
I guess it has to be ice cold, to kill the taste.

To this day, I recall as a li'l tyke, not being
excused from the table until I drank this stoopid
plastic cup of milk placed in front of me. That
was back in the '50s days of Mel-Mac[tm], which
liked to make its own petrochemical contribution
to the flavors of the foods it contained.
Especially with picnic food. And milk.

There the milk sat, in its orange-pink nuclear attack-proof
mel-mac cup, going from icebox-cool to lukewarm to room
temperature, becoming less palatable with each temperature
increment. My staring at it possibly accelerated the
warming process.

I eventually won that battle of wills when Mom decided
it would be less wasteful to save the gawdawful bovine
secretion for her tea, than to let it spoil altogether.
And then she had to answer the front door, affording me
a window of opportunity for a gingerly executed escape
out the back door.

I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
acid afterburn and other effects.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

rms
November 28th 06, 03:06 AM
> Although I used to drink skim milk after working out at the Y. Seemed
> to help recovery.

An article on marathon nutrition suggested chocolate milk is as
effective as most expensive drinks in aiding recovery. Sip a few ounces
every 10min for an hour or two as soon as possible after the race.

rms

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
November 28th 06, 03:09 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "landotter" > writes:
>
> > How many YMCAs have ice cold milk machines these days
> > other than the off of Belmont in Chicago?
>
> I dunno, but every DQ I know of, has something like.
>
> Ugh. Straight-up milk. Loogie fuel indeed.
> I guess it has to be ice cold, to kill the taste.
>
> To this day, I recall as a li'l tyke, not being
> excused from the table until I drank this stoopid
> plastic cup of milk placed in front of me. That
> was back in the '50s days of Mel-Mac[tm], which
> liked to make its own petrochemical contribution
> to the flavors of the foods it contained.
> Especially with picnic food. And milk.
>
> There the milk sat, in its orange-pink nuclear attack-proof
> mel-mac cup, going from icebox-cool to lukewarm to room
> temperature, becoming less palatable with each temperature
> increment. My staring at it possibly accelerated the
> warming process.
>
> I eventually won that battle of wills when Mom decided
> it would be less wasteful to save the gawdawful bovine
> secretion for her tea, than to let it spoil altogether.
> And then she had to answer the front door, affording me
> a window of opportunity for a gingerly executed escape
> out the back door.
>
> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
> acid afterburn and other effects.

Living in the land of Holstein/Friesians, I will likely get whacked by
the dairy mafia for posting this, but I got turned off of milk by
having to drink it in elementary school from a warm carton of unknown
vintage. It was not so much the taste as the smell.

I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
<http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Kristian M Zoerhoff
November 28th 06, 03:57 AM
In article . com>,
says...
> Living in the land of Holstein/Friesians, I will likely get whacked by
> the dairy mafia for posting this, but I got turned off of milk by
> having to drink it in elementary school from a warm carton of unknown
> vintage. It was not so much the taste as the smell.
>
> I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
> <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)

Good choice. However (pun coming...) I'm a fan of Spotted Cow myself.

<http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/spottedcow.html>

Dang. Now I'm jonesing to ride the Sugar River Trail.

<http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/Org/land/parks/specific/sugarriver/>

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Tom Keats
November 28th 06, 03:57 AM
In article >,
"rms" > writes:
>> Although I used to drink skim milk after working out at the Y. Seemed
>> to help recovery.
>
> An article on marathon nutrition suggested chocolate milk is as
> effective as most expensive drinks in aiding recovery. Sip a few ounces
> every 10min for an hour or two as soon as possible after the race.

Yeah, chocolatizing milk is one way to kill its
horrible flavor. Kinda like pouring ketchup on
lima beans so ya can choke 'em down and get 'em
over with.

To tell you the truth, I can readily tolerate
chocolate milk.

I can also readily tolerate milk chocolate ;-)

Lactose is an interesting sugar. It doesn't seem
to spike blood sugar levels as severely as
fructose/dextrose. It also doesn't readily ferment,
so a well-measured shot of it in your homebrew brown ale or
stout or mild gives it a subtly sweetish edge that nicely
counterbalances Fuggles hops and the bitterness of the
darker-roasted malts.

But it's got to be fresh, or else it leaves a cheesy aftertaste.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

landotter
November 28th 06, 04:21 AM
di wrote:
> "landotter" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Style question: is it OK to use a white Specialized bottle cage after
> > labor day, and if so, should be bottle match the cage. This is on a
> > black bike.
>
> Only if you use it with one of those pastel color Polar bottles, ordinary
> freebee give away bottles will never be accepted.

Pastel?! ~Never!

I'd rather wear loafers without socks and stalk criminals in Miami.

/me rubs stubble.

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
November 28th 06, 05:06 AM
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...
> > Living in the land of Holstein/Friesians, I will likely get whacked by
> > the dairy mafia for posting this, but I got turned off of milk by
> > having to drink it in elementary school from a warm carton of unknown
> > vintage. It was not so much the taste as the smell.
> >
> > I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
> > <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)
>
> Good choice. However (pun coming...) I'm a fan of Spotted Cow myself.
>
> <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/spottedcow.html>

I drank 3 bottles of Spotted Cow each day this past weekend. ;-)

> Dang. Now I'm jonesing to ride the Sugar River Trail.
>
> <http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/Org/land/parks/specific/sugarriver/>

With a rest stop at New Glarus Brewing Company?

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

sherry
November 28th 06, 07:01 AM
Dear Tom Keats
I ran into your message quite accidentally while researching about
some details on 'Nutrition' and thought of sharing some of my
findings. I've read at
'http://medical-health-care-information.com/Health-living/nutrition/index.asp'

that 'Nutrition Overview. Nutritional information for you and your
family including lots of heart healthy recipes and nutritional foods,
special dietary concerns like celiac sprue, along with guidelines for
prenatal and children'.
I hope the above is of some help to you as well.

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article >,
> "rms" > writes:
> >> Although I used to drink skim milk after working out at the Y. Seemed
> >> to help recovery.
> >
> > An article on marathon nutrition suggested chocolate milk is as
> > effective as most expensive drinks in aiding recovery. Sip a few ounces
> > every 10min for an hour or two as soon as possible after the race.
>
> Yeah, chocolatizing milk is one way to kill its
> horrible flavor. Kinda like pouring ketchup on
> lima beans so ya can choke 'em down and get 'em
> over with.
>
> To tell you the truth, I can readily tolerate
> chocolate milk.
>
> I can also readily tolerate milk chocolate ;-)
>
> Lactose is an interesting sugar. It doesn't seem
> to spike blood sugar levels as severely as
> fructose/dextrose. It also doesn't readily ferment,
> so a well-measured shot of it in your homebrew brown ale or
> stout or mild gives it a subtly sweetish edge that nicely
> counterbalances Fuggles hops and the bitterness of the
> darker-roasted malts.
>
> But it's got to be fresh, or else it leaves a cheesy aftertaste.
>
> cheers,
> Tom
>
> --
> Nothing is safe from me.
> Above address is just a spam midden.
> I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Kristian M Zoerhoff
November 28th 06, 03:02 PM
In article . com>,
says...

> Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > says...
> > > Living in the land of Holstein/Friesians, I will likely get whacked by
> > > the dairy mafia for posting this, but I got turned off of milk by
> > > having to drink it in elementary school from a warm carton of unknown
> > > vintage. It was not so much the taste as the smell.
> > >
> > > I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
> > > <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)
> >
> > Good choice. However (pun coming...) I'm a fan of Spotted Cow myself.
> >
> > <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/spottedcow.html>
>
> I drank 3 bottles of Spotted Cow each day this past weekend. ;-)

If that's all you had, you had a light weekend :-)

> > Dang. Now I'm jonesing to ride the Sugar River Trail.
> >
> > <http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/Org/land/parks/specific/sugarriver/>
>
> With a rest stop at New Glarus Brewing Company?

Of course.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

nash
November 28th 06, 04:43 PM
>> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
>> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
>> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
>> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
>> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
>> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
>> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
>> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
>> acid afterburn and other effects.

Only babies and young children can digest milk properly. 1/4 cup at a time
though will not give you any ill effects. Lactose intolerant or not.

nash
November 28th 06, 04:57 PM
>>To tell you the truth, I can readily tolerate
chocolate milk.

I can also readily tolerate milk chocolate ;-) <<

I think being winter you could put hot milk and honey in a skinny thermos
and bring with.
Another way to disguise milk is with almond flavoring. yum yum
add honey to your taste.
Egg nog may be alright too after a ride. Home made is the best.
I use whiskey.

Bill
November 29th 06, 12:34 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "landotter" > writes:
>
>> How many YMCAs have ice cold milk machines these days
>> other than the off of Belmont in Chicago?
>
> I dunno, but every DQ I know of, has something like.
>
> Ugh. Straight-up milk. Loogie fuel indeed.
> I guess it has to be ice cold, to kill the taste.
>
> To this day, I recall as a li'l tyke, not being
> excused from the table until I drank this stoopid
> plastic cup of milk placed in front of me. That
> was back in the '50s days of Mel-Mac[tm], which
> liked to make its own petrochemical contribution
> to the flavors of the foods it contained.
> Especially with picnic food. And milk.
>
> There the milk sat, in its orange-pink nuclear attack-proof
> mel-mac cup, going from icebox-cool to lukewarm to room
> temperature, becoming less palatable with each temperature
> increment. My staring at it possibly accelerated the
> warming process.
>
> I eventually won that battle of wills when Mom decided
> it would be less wasteful to save the gawdawful bovine
> secretion for her tea, than to let it spoil altogether.
> And then she had to answer the front door, affording me
> a window of opportunity for a gingerly executed escape
> out the back door.
>
> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
> acid afterburn and other effects.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

Wow,
And I will chug a half gallon like nothing after a ride. I don't think I
will ever have an osteoporosis problem. I only drink non-fat and enough
of it causes me to, umm, flatulate, but I still can't imagine going
without it.
Milk, O.J. and V-8 and I am set for a summer Century. Liquid food.
Bill Baka

Tom Keats
November 29th 06, 02:29 AM
In article >,
Bill > writes:

>> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
>> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
>> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
>> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
>> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
>> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
>> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
>> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
>> acid afterburn and other effects.

> Wow,
> And I will chug a half gallon like nothing after a ride.

Try slowing down enough to deliberately taste it. Roll it
around on your tastebuds, and savour it a while.

Straight-up buttermilk is even worse. Makes good pancakes 'n
biscuits, though. Shelley Burman said it's not so much the
taste that's a turn-off; it's that ugly map it leaves on
the glass. But I think it's the taste.

> Milk, O.J. and V-8 and I am set for a summer Century.

Hmmm ... lactic acid, citric acid, folic acid ... stick
a cathode and anode in you, and you're a battery :-)
I wonder what would happen if you chased all that with
an Alka Seltzer?

While riding around the city in last July's heat (seems like
a lifetime ago now) I discovered Dole brand sparkling pink
grapefruit cocktail. Boy, did that ever hit the spot!
Not too carbonatedly fizzy, and had some grapefruit bite to it.

V-8 is good stuff. I often use a big can of it to simmer
pot roast in, along with spuds, carrots onions and celery.
And four bay leaves. And a splat of Worcestershire sauce.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats
November 29th 06, 05:52 AM
In article . com>,
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > writes:

>> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
>> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
>> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
>> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
>> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
>> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
>> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
>> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
>> acid afterburn and other effects.
>
> Living in the land of Holstein/Friesians,

Wisconsin? Oshkoshkenazic or Sanfordic?

> I will likely get whacked by
> the dairy mafia

In British Columbia it's known as the Milk Marketing Board.

> for posting this, but I got turned off of milk by
> having to drink it in elementary school from a warm carton of unknown
> vintage. It was not so much the taste as the smell.

The smell /is/ the taste, once it warms up.

> I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
> <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)

I don't blame ya. But the Jet Stream is sending Vancouver
weather your way in a few days, and you may desire more
warming potables.

cheers,
Tom
--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats
November 29th 06, 05:57 AM
In article om>,
"sherry" > writes:
> Dear Tom Keats
> I ran into your message quite accidentally while researching about
> some details on 'Nutrition' and thought of sharing some of my
> findings. I've read at
> 'http://medical-health-care-information.com/Health-living/nutrition/index.asp'
>

> that 'Nutrition Overview. Nutritional information for you and your
> family including lots of heart healthy recipes and nutritional foods,
> special dietary concerns like celiac sprue, along with guidelines for
> prenatal and children'.
> I hope the above is of some help to you as well.

Thank you, it's an intriguing site.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Bill
November 29th 06, 11:22 AM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article >,
> Bill > writes:
>>> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
>>> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
>>> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
>>> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
>>> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
>>> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
>>> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
>>> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
>>> acid afterburn and other effects.
>
>> Wow,
>> And I will chug a half gallon like nothing after a ride.
>
> Try slowing down enough to deliberately taste it. Roll it
> around on your tastebuds, and savour it a while.

I do and I actually like it.

> Straight-up buttermilk is even worse. Makes good pancakes 'n
> biscuits, though. Shelley Burman said it's not so much the
> taste that's a turn-off; it's that ugly map it leaves on
> the glass. But I think it's the taste.

Buttermilk is one kind of milk that will send me running....the other way.

>> Milk, O.J. and V-8 and I am set for a summer Century.
>
> Hmmm ... lactic acid, citric acid, folic acid ... stick
> a cathode and anode in you, and you're a battery :-)
> I wonder what would happen if you chased all that with
> an Alka Seltzer?

Portable on road bomb?

> While riding around the city in last July's heat (seems like
> a lifetime ago now) I discovered Dole brand sparkling pink
> grapefruit cocktail. Boy, did that ever hit the spot!
> Not too carbonatedly fizzy, and had some grapefruit bite to it.
>
> V-8 is good stuff. I often use a big can of it to simmer
> pot roast in, along with spuds, carrots onions and celery.
> And four bay leaves. And a splat of Worcestershire sauce.

V-8 is good mostly for the salt and the trace vitamins in the
vegetables. I looked up the vitamins once and was not impressed.
Bill Baka

> cheers,
> Tom

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
November 29th 06, 12:28 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > writes:
>
> >> I think milk is good for all kinds of stuff -- chocolate,
> >> cheese, baking, stepping on your cup of tea or coffee
> >> with it, DQ profferings, etc. And a glass of straight-up
> >> cold milk has certain attractive qualities; it has that
> >> initial soothing coolness and smooth texture. But when you
> >> make a concerted effort to actually /taste/ it (and it has
> >> to be warmer than ice cold for that,) you just might find
> >> it worse than disappointing. And then there's the lactic
> >> acid afterburn and other effects.
> >
> > Living in the land of Holstein/Friesians,
>
> Wisconsin? Oshkoshkenazic or Sanfordic?

Near "America's Drunkest City".

> > I will likely get whacked by
> > the dairy mafia
>
> In British Columbia it's known as the Milk Marketing Board.
>
> > for posting this, but I got turned off of milk by
> > having to drink it in elementary school from a warm carton of unknown
> > vintage. It was not so much the taste as the smell.
>
> The smell /is/ the taste, once it warms up.
>
> > I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
> > <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)
>
> I don't blame ya. But the Jet Stream is sending Vancouver
> weather your way in a few days, and you may desire more
> warming potables.

The good/bad news is that New Glarus Brewery only sells behind the
Cheddar Curtain. More for us cheeseheads, but hard to get for anyone
else (except for the FIBs that invade on the weekends).

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Buck
November 29th 06, 01:50 PM
Bill wrote:
> And I will chug a half gallon like nothing after a ride. I don't think I
> will ever have an osteoporosis problem.

Osteoporosis in men is an indicator of alcoholism. Alcohol, in
significant quantities on regular basis, interferes with the signal
which causes osteoblasts to convert precursor tissue into bone through
ossification.

Alcohol does the same in women, but the process is also affected by the
hormonal shifts during menopause, thus the common occurance of
osteoporosis in women. Weight-bearing exercise helps stimulate the
bone-rebuilding process, but I doubt that enough weight is borne during
cycling (I'd have to look it up).

Either way, it is unlikely the consumption of milk will have a bearing
either way if you are eating plenty of green veggies. Although, I do
admit I love the stuff. Especially served ice cold with a bag of Oreos
or Duncan Grahams. Mmmmmmm.

-Buck

landotter
November 29th 06, 02:48 PM
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> The good/bad news is that New Glarus Brewery only sells behind the
> Cheddar Curtain. More for us cheeseheads, but hard to get for anyone
> else (except for the FIBs that invade on the weekends).

We used to sell their awesome cherry beer at The Artful Dodger in
Chicago. I guess that qualifies as within the "cheddar curtain" or even
the "piroge venetians". :D

Kristian M Zoerhoff
November 29th 06, 02:49 PM
In article m>, sunsetss0003
@yahoo.com says...

> More for us cheeseheads, but hard to get for anyone
> else (except for the FIBs that invade on the weekends).

Hey. I resemble that remark (says the exiled Michigander).

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Kristian M Zoerhoff
November 29th 06, 02:51 PM
In article >, says...

> I don't blame ya. But the Jet Stream is sending Vancouver
> weather your way in a few days, and you may desire more
> warming potables.

My hip flask is on standby.

I wonder if my Camelbak reservoir would taint the flavor of schnapps.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_

Bill
November 29th 06, 10:18 PM
Buck wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> And I will chug a half gallon like nothing after a ride. I don't think I
>> will ever have an osteoporosis problem.
>
> Osteoporosis in men is an indicator of alcoholism. Alcohol, in
> significant quantities on regular basis, interferes with the signal
> which causes osteoblasts to convert precursor tissue into bone through
> ossification.

At least I quit drinking years ago so that isn't a problem anymore.
Maybe one after a good hot ride, but not anything regular anymore.

> Alcohol does the same in women, but the process is also affected by the
> hormonal shifts during menopause, thus the common occurance of
> osteoporosis in women. Weight-bearing exercise helps stimulate the
> bone-rebuilding process, but I doubt that enough weight is borne during
> cycling (I'd have to look it up).

I don't think I have ever felt any upper body exercise except for the
time I tried a downhill speed record and put my feet straight out back.
On that one I had to hold my upper body weight, chin on the bars, with
my arms, and got sore. Normal riding, probably not.

> Either way, it is unlikely the consumption of milk will have a bearing
> either way if you are eating plenty of green veggies. Although, I do
> admit I love the stuff. Especially served ice cold with a bag of Oreos
> or Duncan Grahams. Mmmmmmm.

Never forget with heavy additions of Chocolate, too.

> -Buck

Now I just want a bowl of Total overflowing with milk.
Thirsty now.
Bill Baka

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
November 30th 06, 01:28 AM
Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> In article m>, sunsetss0003
> @yahoo.com says...
> >
> > More for us cheeseheads, but hard to get for anyone
> > else (except for the FIBs that invade on the weekends).
>
> Hey. I resemble that remark (says the exiled Michigander).

I am not a Wisconsin native, but since I went to kindergarten,
elementary and junior high school here, I can fool 99.44% of the native
Wisconsinites.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!
Behind the Cheddar Curtain

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
November 30th 06, 01:38 AM
landotter wrote:
> Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
>
> > The good/bad news is that New Glarus Brewery only sells behind the
> > Cheddar Curtain. More for us cheeseheads, but hard to get for anyone
> > else (except for the FIBs that invade on the weekends).
>

> We used to sell their awesome cherry beer at The Artful Dodger in
> Chicago. I guess that qualifies as within the "cheddar curtain" or even
> the "piroge venetians". :D

Downstate Illinoisans are fine; it is only the ones from Chicagoland
that are true FIBs. ;-)

Here almost all the grocery stores have a good selection of beers from
independent brewers that you would only find in specialty shops outside
the Cheddar Curtain.

Someone should organize a cycling brewery tour of Wisconsin.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Tom Keats
November 30th 06, 02:50 AM
In article m>,
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" > writes:

>> > I am sorely tempted to fill my bottles with "Fat Squirrel":
>> > <http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/beers/squirrel.html>. Mmmm... :-)
>>
>> I don't blame ya. But the Jet Stream is sending Vancouver
>> weather your way in a few days, and you may desire more
>> warming potables.
>
> The good/bad news is that New Glarus Brewery only sells behind the
> Cheddar Curtain. More for us cheeseheads, but hard to get for anyone
> else (except for the FIBs that invade on the weekends).

Heh. I was thinking more in terms of a thermos of coffee
or cocoa or Ovaltine -- stuff like that. Of course, it
can be rendered more interesting with certain adjuncts.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Tom Keats
November 30th 06, 02:57 AM
In article >,
Kristian M Zoerhoff > writes:
> In article >, says...
>>
>> I don't blame ya. But the Jet Stream is sending Vancouver
>> weather your way in a few days, and you may desire more
>> warming potables.
>
> My hip flask is on standby.
>
> I wonder if my Camelbak reservoir would taint the flavor of schnapps.

I suspect peppermint schnapps would taint
the flavour of your Camelbak reservoir.

If there's such a thing as blackcurrant schnapps
(I think there should be,) that might be more
vulnerable.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home