PDA

View Full Version : Guerrilla Pro-Cyclists in NY?

Trudi Marrapodi
May 11th 04, 04:51 AM
While returning home on a highway the other evening, I saw that a
billboard outside of Syracuse had been vandalized by someone apparently
trying to engage in some "guerrilla advertising." The billboard was a
GEICO ad featuring the GEICO gecko and the slogan "Don't take higher car
insurance rates lying down. Call GEICO" with the phone number.

The vandalizer had altered it so that it read "Don't take higher car
insurance rates lying down. Ride a bike instead. Call 1-800-FOR-BIKE."

I have to admit, I was amused by it.

Anyone else seen this kind of "guerrilla advertising" for cycling?
--
Trudi

"Boy, there sure is a lot of tension around here tonight. It's like a Joan Crawford movie."

Mike Schwab
May 11th 04, 06:51 AM
Several in chicago. Most likely to find photos on Chicago CM site.
http://www.criticalmassrides.info has link to site.

Trudi Marrapodi wrote:
<snip>
> The vandalizer had altered it so that it read "Don't take higher car
> insurance rates lying down. Ride a bike instead. Call 1-800-FOR-BIKE."
<snip>

Jym Dyer
May 11th 04, 04:39 PM
> Several in chicago. Most likely to find photos on Chicago
> CM site. http://www.criticalmassrides.info has link to site.

=v= The Chicago site is:

http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/

=v= My favorite billboard modification, which took place in
Chicago *and* Berkeley, California, was a lite beer ad that
was trying to cash in on low-carb fad diets. It depicted
somebody biking and said, "LOSE THE CARBS. NOT THE TASTE."
The message is much improved when you get rid of the BS.
<_Jym_>

Jym Dyer ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: __Q :::
::::::::::::::::: "My other car is :: ==`\(s_ ::
http://www.critical-mass.org/ :: also a bicycle." :: (_)/ (_) ::

Trudi Marrapodi
May 12th 04, 12:31 PM
In article >, Jym Dyer > wrote:

> > Several in chicago. Most likely to find photos on Chicago
> > CM site. http://www.criticalmassrides.info has link to site.
>
> =v= The Chicago site is:
>
> http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org/

So the Critical Mass'ers do it, eh?

> =v= My favorite billboard modification, which took place in
> Chicago *and* Berkeley, California, was a lite beer ad that
> was trying to cash in on low-carb fad diets. It depicted
> somebody biking and said, "LOSE THE CARBS. NOT THE TASTE."
> The message is much improved when you get rid of the BS.

Now that's sheer luck of juxtaposition!
--
Trudi

"Boy, there sure is a lot of tension around here tonight. It's like a Joan Crawford movie."

Jym Dyer
May 13th 04, 01:41 PM
> So the Critical Mass'ers do it, eh?

=v= I don't know who's doing it. I know that a Masser in
Chicago saw it on his commute and took a photo, that's all.
I don't remember where I heard about the Berkeley billboard,
but the San Francisco Bay Area seems to have a number of
"billboard improvers" roaming about.
<_Jym_>

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home