PDA

View Full Version : The Great Central Park Traffic Calming Ride Rolls Again!

Jym Dyer
May 13th 04, 04:13 PM
=v= If you go to this website, you'll see exactly the same
text as this article, plus a nifty graphic:

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/93202/index.php

<_Jym_>

THE GREAT CENTRAL PARK TRAFFIC CALMING RIDE ROLLS AGAIN!

This is a ride in Manhattan's Central Park to help make park
roads auto-free.

When: Friday, May 14, 2004, 6:00 p.m.
Where: Meet at the 6th Avenue and 59th Street entrance
to the park

We roll two by two in a single traffic lane around the southern
Loop Road. This is a non-confrontational ride to slow down car
traffic during the hours the park is open to cars.

The ride lasts about one hour or until the start of the park's
auto-free hours.

See also:
http://www.times-up.org/traffic.php

Scott Eiler
May 14th 04, 01:53 AM
Jym Dyer wrote:

> We roll two by two in a single traffic lane around the southern
> Loop Road. This is a non-confrontational ride to slow down car
> traffic during the hours the park is open to cars.

Sounds pretty in-your-face passive-aggressive to me.

--
-------- Scott Eiler B{D> -------- http://www.eilertech.com/ --------

"It seemed an unlikely spot for a sensitive songwriter from Greenwich
Village... She ordered the 20-ounce steak."
-- Lin Brehmer, Chicago DJ, describing his meeting in a steakhouse
with Suzanne Vega.

tk
May 14th 04, 01:44 PM
> > We roll two by two in a single traffic lane around the southern
> > Loop Road. This is a non-confrontational ride to slow down car
> > traffic during the hours the park is open to cars.
>
> Sounds pretty in-your-face passive-aggressive to me.

I would think 'in-your-face' and 'passive-aggressive' are mutually
exclusive.

Kantor (1992, p. 177) notes that the term passive-aggressive clearly
describes a discrete behavior

Scott Eiler
May 15th 04, 02:51 PM
tk wrote:

>>>We roll two by two in a single traffic lane around the southern
>>>Loop Road. This is a non-confrontational ride to slow down car
>>>traffic during the hours the park is open to cars.
>>
>>Sounds pretty in-your-face passive-aggressive to me.
>
> I would think 'in-your-face' and 'passive-aggressive' are mutually
> exclusive.
>
> Kantor (1992, p. 177) notes that the term passive-aggressive clearly
> describes a discrete behavior

Any kind of behavior can be in-your-face, if you do it where your target
can't help but notice. I personally think, "non-confrontational" and
"traffic calming" is much more of a mutual exclusion.

--
-------- Scott Eiler B{D> -------- http://www.eilertech.com/ --------

"It seemed an unlikely spot for a sensitive songwriter from Greenwich
Village... She ordered the 20-ounce steak."
-- Lin Brehmer, Chicago DJ, describing his meeting in a steakhouse
with Suzanne Vega.

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
May 15th 04, 07:17 PM
Scott Eiler wrote:

>>> Sounds pretty in-your-face passive-aggressive to me.
>>

>> I would think 'in-your-face' and 'passive-aggressive' are mutually
>> exclusive.
>>
>> Kantor (1992, p. 177) notes that the term passive-aggressive clearly
>> describes a discrete behavior
>

> Any kind of behavior can be in-your-face, if you do it where your target
> can't help but notice. I personally think, "non-confrontational" and
> "traffic calming" is much more of a mutual exclusion.

Quotation marks around "traffic calming" duly noted. ;-)

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com

Jym Dyer
May 19th 04, 06:56 PM
=v= If you go to this website, you'll see exactly the same
text as this email message, plus a nifty graphic:

http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/93691/index.php

<_Jym_>

THE PROSPECT PARK TRAFFIC CALMING RIDE ROLLS AGAIN!

This is a ride in Brooklyn's Prospect Park to help make park
roads auto-free.

When: Friday, May 21st, 2004, 6:00 p.m.
Where: Meet at the Grand Army Plaza entrance to the park.

We roll two by two in a single traffic lane through the
park. This is a non-confrontational ride to slow down car
traffic during the hours the park is open to cars. The
ride lasts about one hour or until the start of the park's
auto-free hours.

Last week's traffic-calming ride in Central Park was quite the
success:
http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/93202/index.php

See also:
http://www.times-up.org/traffic.php

Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
May 19th 04, 09:29 PM
Jym Dyer wrote:

> =v= If you go to this website, you'll see exactly the same
> text as this email message, plus a nifty graphic:
>
> http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/93691/index.php
>
> <_Jym_>
>
> THE PROSPECT PARK TRAFFIC CALMING RIDE ROLLS AGAIN!
>
> This is a ride in Brooklyn's Prospect Park to help make park
> roads auto-free.
>
> When: Friday, May 21st, 2004, 6:00 p.m.
> Where: Meet at the Grand Army Plaza entrance to the park.
>
> We roll two by two in a single traffic lane through the
> park. This is a non-confrontational ride to slow down car
> traffic during the hours the park is open to cars. The
> ride lasts about one hour or until the start of the park's
> auto-free hours.

So, once the cars are gone, you go too? You do have a very strange
definition of non-confrontational.

Steve

> Last week's traffic-calming ride in Central Park was quite the
> success:
> http://nyc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/93202/index.php
>
> See also:
> http://www.times-up.org/traffic.php