PDA

View Full Version : I believe

Steve
November 29th 06, 05:43 AM
From the horse's mouth:
http://tylerhamilton.com/qa4238.html

Ernesto/England: Mr Hamilton, It is time to be mature and honest about
events. It is undeniably clear that you (and many others I am sure) cheated,
and have been caught. David Millar has been honest and decent about his
usage of EPO, has served his sentence, lost his Olympic medals and other
results, and is now making a clean start. I, and many other clear-thinking
Europeans would respect you a little more if you did the decent thing and
put your hands up. Give that Olympic gold back (you escaped sanction on a
technicality), clear your conscience, serve your ban and come back at
whatever level you can manage clean.

Tyler: Dear Ernesto: I appreciate your thoughts and welcome the opportunity
to reply. I am in agreement with you about David Millar. He is to be
commended and forever respected for taking responsibility for his actions. I
have long admired David and looks forward to his return to racing this
summer. Media reports regarding my case, particularly in Europe, have done
little to educate cycling fans and the general public about the case. I ask
kindly that you consider the following facts from my defense:

1. People die from well matched transfusions in hospitals every day. If
athletes were really engaging in this, wouldn't we hear more about athlete's
dying?

2. If a well matched transfusion is taken into the body, and it doesn't kill
you, make you sick with HIV, Hepatitis or give you a stroke - which are just
some of the known risks, then you only stand to gain performance enhancing
effects for about 5 days. On the flip side, you could potentially test
positive for up to four months. What position would an athlete have to be in
to justify this? And why would any athlete do this kind of thing in the
middle of their season, one month before their objectives? I was accused of
transfusing blood in June - 1 month prior to my main objective: the Tour de
France.

3. If someone transfuses a unit of blood, and the test the anti doping
authorities approved is run on that person's blood for the next four months,
the data should show mixed populations starting at 10% early on that dwindle
down over time for the same markers. In my case, I was tested in Athens on
8/20, in Spain on 9/2 and again in Spain on 9/11. Mixed populations in my
test data do not match. The only explanations would be technical error or I
am a genetic anomaly.

4. To complicate the situation and to make matters worse is that the Athens
lab did not even type my blood correctly and generated test results that
were biologically impossible and no one caught this during the Games. Again,
the only explanations are technical error, terminal cancer or genetic
anomaly

5. As for the Athens test being thrown out on a technicality - please
consider this: the homologous blood transfusion test was approved for first
time use in Athens under flexible accreditation from WADA. This means the
lab director has to be comfortable with the method and take full
responsibility for running it until it is approved by an independent body
(like ISO). In Athens, the lab director was not willing to take this
responsibility because he felt the test method was not properly validated.
He reduced the test to a pilot project during the Games meaning - it wasn't
even officially an anti doping test in Athens. The B sample was frozen
because the A sample was initially declared Negative, and the test was not
officially active. That decision was not reversed until nearly one month
later by the lab officials who ran the tests from the Vuelta - who were
looking for back up for their own result

6. Further examination of the Athens data revealed that the lab technicians
had considerable problems with the test during the Games - my results were
among at least 5 or 6 false positives at the Athens lab.

7. The HBT test was not properly validated because time, money and materials
were at a shortage. This is all well documented in emails I received from
the Athens lab. Instead of doing the proper work, the lab that ran the
Vuelta test thought they could defend the validity of the method by charging
a positive.

8. The UCI alleged that I transfused one unit of blood June 1st. They drew
the Vuelta sample 103 days later and contended they found 1-1.9%% mixed
populations in my blood. When you consider the metabolism of an elite
endurance athlete and the fact that I suffered a massive crash in the Tour
de France in July suffering massive hematomas to my lower back and internal
bruising, it's really difficult to justify scientifically the appearance of
1% mixed populations in September. Especially under normal circumstances
most medical experts state that a single unit of transfused blood is only
visible for 90 days

9. The test used in my case is massively flawed, under validated, and was
implemented in a way that is completely out of step with what it acceptable
in the scientific community. The lab that charged me in September 2004 was
not independently accredited to run flow cytometry (the method for this
test) by the ISO until October of 2005 - 13 months later. What's more, the
ISO told the lab they could not call the test a blood transfusion test,
because the test cannot PROVE a blood transfusion has taken place

If I do not stand up to the system that developed and implemented this test
and has gone on to charge me with an offense I did not commit, who will? The
panels who adjudicate these cases are clearly afraid of WADA and of being
stripped of their future arbitration duties if they do not defend the
system. Look no further than the Zach Lund case if you think I'm
exaggerating. CAS was convinced he was not a cheat - but suspended him for a
year for taking prescription medication he had used for the last 6 years,
and that he had notified USADA he was using the drug

I am not dishonest, and does not need to clear my conscience. I support anti
doping and was a charter member of the USADA and UCI out of competition
testing programs. I even helped organize and implement the UCI's program
back in June of 2004. Interesting timing, don't you think? The exact date
the UCI alleges I transfused. Does that sound like a man up to something?

As for coming back at "whatever level he can manage clean" - ask yourself
what kind of a man could ride the Tour de France with a broken collar bone.
The only way you can do something like that is if you have the fight in you
to overcome the hand you've been dealt.

I hope that answers your questions but please do not hesitate to contact me
again if you would like further conversation.

November 29th 06, 07:13 AM
Steve wrote:
> [...]
> and that he had notified USADA he was using the drug
>
> I am not dishonest, and does not need to clear my conscience. I support anti
> doping and was a charter member of the USADA and UCI out of competition
> testing programs. I even helped organize and implement the UCI's program
> back in June of 2004. Interesting timing, don't you think? The exact date
> the UCI alleges I transfused. Does that sound like a man up to something?
>
> As for coming back at "whatever level he can manage clean" - ask yourself
> what kind of a man could ride the Tour de France with a broken collar bone.
> The only way you can do something like that is if you have the fight in you
> to overcome the hand you've been dealt.
>
> I hope that answers your questions but please do not hesitate to contact me
> again if you would like further conversation.

No Spin Zone.....blah blah blah.

Duped

Davey Crockett
November 29th 06, 08:32 AM
writes:

> No Spin Zone.....blah blah blah.

Dear Abby, Dear Abby,
My fountain pen leaks.
My wife ****s the newsboy
and my kids are all freaks

In a Froggy bike race
I tried to compete.
Now that dumb WADA ******
Has branded me CHEAT

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett

patch70
December 1st 06, 03:17 AM
Steve Wrote:
> I hope that answers your questions but please do not hesitate to contact
> me again if you would like further conversation.

Further question Mr Hamilton. What should we make of the faxes to your
wife with receipts for doping assistance and the records of your doping
program from 2003 & 2004? Or were they from that dang evil twin?

--
patch70

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home