PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong quits running

gym.gravity
December 1st 06, 07:58 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews

Armstrong to race Leadville Trail 100

Retirement from pro road racing has opened new doors for Lance
Armstrong. This fall, the former roadie and seven-time Tour de France
winner tackled the New York City marathon, and next August, he'll try
out the Leadville Trail 100, a 100 mile mountain bike race in
Leadville, Colorado.

Race director Ken Chlouber confirmed the race was on Armstrong's
schedule, which now consists of only a few races per year. "This is
huge for Leadville," Chlouber told the Leadville Chronicle. He added
that the race was well suited for Armstrong, who is known for
surmounting tough personal obstacles like cancer.

The Leadville 100 began in 1983 and covers a 100-mile course through
the Sawatch mountains. It features 15,600 feet of climbing and
descending. The race is notoriously challenging because the entire
course is at a high altitude. The lowest point is 9,200 feet, and the
highest point is 12,620 feet. The race is so popular that a lottery is
used to dole out the available slots. About 500-600 of the 750 starters
finish the race annually.

It won't be Armstrong's first appearance off road, but it will be the
first time he races an endurance mountain bike event. If he has time to
train, the Tour de France winner could challenge for the win.

Geraard Spergen
December 1st 06, 08:20 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ydekjl

rick++
December 1st 06, 09:08 PM
The title is deceptive.
It might be said he is really started running if he can do a 100.

Elflord
December 1st 06, 10:04 PM
On 2006-12-01, rick++ > wrote:
> The title is deceptive.
> It might be said he is really started running if he can do a 100.

Yep, LA quits running, and starts doing ultras (-; that's how I read it
at first too. It's talking about a bike race.

Cheers,
--
Elflord

Brian Baresch
December 2nd 06, 12:57 AM
But will there be room on the trail for the motorcycle with the
camera, and pacing team?
--
Brian P. Baresch
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

If you're going through hell, keep going. --Winston Churchill

Doug Freese
December 2nd 06, 01:02 AM
"gym.gravity" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
>
> Armstrong to race Leadville Trail 100
>
> Retirement from pro road racing has opened new doors for Lance
> Armstrong. This fall, the former roadie and seven-time Tour de France
> winner tackled the New York City marathon, and next August, he'll try
> out the Leadville Trail 100, a 100 mile mountain bike race in
> Leadville, Colorado.

Damn, I thought at first he was going to step up a do the 100 trail RUN.
Oh well.

-DF

LSmith
December 2nd 06, 01:51 AM
Doug Freese wrote:

> Damn, I thought at first he was going to step up a do the 100 trail RUN.
> Oh well.
>
> -DF
_

"Step up"? LOL. I think you mean "step down", away from the
competition, and pull a Jurek (Beat up on the fringe, old Masters,
finish in the top 10, etc.). =

December 2nd 06, 02:13 AM
gym.gravity wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
>
> "...Armstrong's schedule, which now consists of only a few races per year. "

How many races per year did his schedule consist of then?

Ewoud Dronkert
December 2nd 06, 04:44 AM
gym.gravity wrote:
> Armstrong, who is known for
> surmounting tough personal obstacles like cancer.

Jesus christ.

--
E. Dronkert

RicodJour
December 2nd 06, 05:46 AM
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> gym.gravity wrote:
> > Armstrong, who is known for
> > surmounting tough personal obstacles like cancer.
>
> Jesus christ.

Jesus just came back from the dead, he never beat cancer.

Dot
December 2nd 06, 07:04 AM
Doug Freese wrote:
> "gym.gravity" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
>>
>>Armstrong to race Leadville Trail 100
>>
>>Retirement from pro road racing has opened new doors for Lance
>>Armstrong. This fall, the former roadie and seven-time Tour de France
>>winner tackled the New York City marathon, and next August, he'll try
>>out the Leadville Trail 100, a 100 mile mountain bike race in
>>Leadville, Colorado.
>

> Damn, I thought at first he was going to step up a do the 100 trail RUN.
> Oh well.
>
> -DF

Hmmm, but I didn't see anything that said he wasn't considering the
double (bike and run). ;)

Dot

--
"Dream big and dare to fail." --- Norman Vaughan

Doug Freese
December 2nd 06, 11:03 AM
"LSmith" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Freese wrote:
>
>> Damn, I thought at first he was going to step up a do the 100 trail
>> RUN.
>> Oh well.
>>
>> -DF
> _
>
> "Step up"? LOL. I think you mean "step down", away from the
> competition, and pull a Jurek (Beat up on the fringe, old Masters,
> finish in the top 10, etc.). =

I'm still waiting for you to step up and take on the easy pickin's. You
got your ass licked and came away crying on sissy 15k in a NYC city
park. As for Jurek, he whipped your boy DK in every race they competed
together but you need to be reminded, DK is maybe top 15 in a competive
race. Since you only fram of reference is ther NYC marathon, DK
wouldn't/couldn't earn a money slot unless he took the subway.

As for the real Lance, and what this post is all about and not Sissy
Lance, it will be intersting to see how he does in a 100 mile MB race.
I know he is great biker and grew up on MB's but a solo 100 without a
peleton is a different animal.

I admit don't know much about the ultra bike scene other than personally
doing a lackluster 50 mile one year while running injured, but I'll go
out on a limb and say he will not finish first.

-Doug

Doug Freese
December 2nd 06, 11:06 AM
"Dot" > wrote in message
> Hmmm, but I didn't see anything that said he wasn't considering the
> double (bike and run). ;)

Now that would be a really big step up .:)

-Doug

Michael Press
December 2nd 06, 06:28 PM
In article
"Doug Freese" > wrote:

> "LSmith" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Doug Freese wrote:
> >
> >> Damn, I thought at first he was going to step up a do the 100 trail
> >> RUN.
> >> Oh well.
> >>
> >> -DF
> > _
> >
> > "Step up"? LOL. I think you mean "step down", away from the
> > competition, and pull a Jurek (Beat up on the fringe, old Masters,
> > finish in the top 10, etc.). =
>
> I'm still waiting for you to step up and take on the easy pickin's. You
> got your ass licked and came away crying on sissy 15k in a NYC city
> park. As for Jurek, he whipped your boy DK in every race they competed
> together but you need to be reminded, DK is maybe top 15 in a competive
> race. Since you only fram of reference is ther NYC marathon, DK
> wouldn't/couldn't earn a money slot unless he took the subway.
>
> As for the real Lance, and what this post is all about and not Sissy
> Lance, it will be intersting to see how he does in a 100 mile MB race.
> I know he is great biker and grew up on MB's but a solo 100 without a
> peleton is a different animal.
>
> I admit don't know much about the ultra bike scene other than personally
> doing a lackluster 50 mile one year while running injured, but I'll go
> out on a limb and say he will not finish first.

Armstrong never finishes first in these events, moron.

--
Michael Press

Harold Buck
December 2nd 06, 07:01 PM
In article >,
Michael Press > wrote:

> > I admit don't know much about the ultra bike scene other than personally
> > doing a lackluster 50 mile one year while running injured, but I'll go
> > out on a limb and say he will not finish first.
>
> Armstrong never finishes first in these events, moron.

I don't know what you mean by "these events," but given a reasonable
definition (e.g., events involving mountain biking, running, or both),
you are easily revealed to be the moron:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb/?id=2002/dec02/dirtyduathlon02

--Harold Buck

"Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."

-Homer J. Simpson

December 2nd 06, 08:11 PM
Doug Freese wrote:

> As for the real Lance, and what this post is all about and not Sissy
> Lance, it will be intersting to see how he does in a 100 mile MB race.
> I know he is great biker and grew up on MB's but a solo 100 without a
> peleton is a different animal.

Drafting is actually an important part of the Leadville 100.
It's a good race for a guy like LANCE, I think. Many of the
endurance racers who do this race consider it a sprint.
Winning time will be about seven hours. Singletrack skill
is irrelevant, it's all jeep roads and dirt roads. There
are a few dangerous descents. The course at about 20-mile
goes down a powerline cut, literally straight down a mountain.
It's ridiculous. There are huge man-eating crevasses
that zig zag all the way down like an earthquake movie.
That descent claims many casualties; could probably
stand there and hear the snapping of collarbones
echo through the woods.

I predict LANCE survives Powerline but eats it on the
way down from Columbine Mine. If he beats the first
woman (likely needing about a 7:30 to do it) it will
be an impressive display.

Robert

December 2nd 06, 08:51 PM
Doug Freese wrote:

> As for the real Lance, and what this post is all about and not Sissy
> Lance, it will be intersting to see how he does in a 100 mile MB race.
> I know he is great biker and grew up on MB's but a solo 100 without a
> peleton is a different animal.

Drafting is actually an important part of the Leadville 100.
It's a good race for a guy like LANCE, I think. Many of the
endurance racers who do this race consider it a sprint.
Winning time will be about seven hours. Singletrack skill
is irrelevant, it's all jeep roads and dirt roads. There
are a few dangerous descents. The course at about 20-mile
goes down a powerline cut, literally straight down a mountain.
It's ridiculous. There are huge man-eating crevasses
that zig zag all the way down like an earthquake movie.
That descent claims many casualties; could probably
stand there and hear the snapping of collarbones
echo through the woods.

I predict LANCE survives Powerline but eats it on the
way down from Columbine Mine. If he beats the first
woman (likely needing about a 7:30 to do it) it will
be an impressive display.

Robert

Michael Press
December 2nd 06, 10:14 PM
In article

s.com>,
Harold Buck > wrote:

> In article >,
> Michael Press > wrote:
>
> > > I admit don't know much about the ultra bike scene other than personally
> > > doing a lackluster 50 mile one year while running injured, but I'll go
> > > out on a limb and say he will not finish first.
> >
> > Armstrong never finishes first in these events, moron.
> >

> I don't know what you mean by "these events," but given a reasonable
> definition (e.g., events involving mountain biking, running, or both),
> you are easily revealed to be the moron:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb/?id=2002/dec02/dirtyduathlon02

That was in 2002. I repeat, Armstrong does not ride to
win these events.

--
Michael Press

Krusty
December 2nd 06, 10:28 PM
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006 22:04:49 +0000 (UTC), Elflord >
wrote:

>On 2006-12-01, rick++ > wrote:
>> The title is deceptive.
>> It might be said he is really started running if he can do a 100.
>
>Yep, LA quits running, and starts doing ultras (-; that's how I read it
>at first too. It's talking about a bike race.
>
>Cheers,

I'm not an authority here, but when I was in the Leadville area for a
camping trip once I remember reading about the race, and it was on
foot.

Dot
December 3rd 06, 12:26 AM
Krusty wrote:

> I'm not an authority here, but when I was in the Leadville area for a
> camping trip once I remember reading about the race, and it was on
> foot.

There's both a mtn bike race that usually fills and a trail run that
usually has spaces available, iirc. The lottery was the clue (other than
context) that it's the bike race. There might be a marathon or other
shorter running trail race also, but I don't remember for sure.

Dot

--
"If we reach all our goals, we are not setting them high enough."
- Matt Carpenter

Doug Freese
December 3rd 06, 01:27 AM
> That was in 2002. I repeat, Armstrong does not ride to win these
> events.

How do you know what he plans for 2007?

-DF

Krusty
December 3rd 06, 03:07 AM
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:26:09 GMT, Dot > wrote:

>Krusty wrote:
>

>> I'm not an authority here, but when I was in the Leadville area for a
>> camping trip once I remember reading about the race, and it was on
>> foot.
>
>There's both a mtn bike race that usually fills and a trail run that
>usually has spaces available, iirc. The lottery was the clue (other than
>context) that it's the bike race. There might be a marathon or other
>shorter running trail race also, but I don't remember for sure.
>
>Dot

Aha! I was there in the late 80's/early 90's. In 1994 the Trail 100
Mountain Bike Race was added. The clue is indeed the lottery. The
ultramarathon is first come first serve.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville_Trail_100

Krusty
December 3rd 06, 03:09 AM
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 03:07:28 GMT, Krusty
> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:26:09 GMT, Dot > wrote:
>
>>Krusty wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not an authority here, but when I was in the Leadville area for a
>>> camping trip once I remember reading about the race, and it was on
>>> foot.
>>
>>There's both a mtn bike race that usually fills and a trail run that
>>usually has spaces available, iirc. The lottery was the clue (other than
>>context) that it's the bike race. There might be a marathon or other
>>shorter running trail race also, but I don't remember for sure.
>>
>>Dot
>
>Aha! I was there in the late 80's/early 90's. In 1994 the Trail 100
>Mountain Bike Race was added. The clue is indeed the lottery. The
>ultramarathon is first come first serve.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville_Trail_100

That and the reference to the mountain bike race in the article. Doh!

Michael Press
December 3rd 06, 07:04 AM
In article
"Doug Freese" > wrote:

> > That was in 2002. I repeat, Armstrong does not ride to win these
> > events.
>
> How do you know what he plans for 2007?

I am bound by a non-disclosure agreement. Do not
attempt go get around me with any caffiene, sucrose,
theobromine, phenylethylamine, anandamide preparations
either. I am quite immune to such blandishments.

--
Michael Press

h squared
December 4th 06, 01:35 PM
Michael Press wrote:

> I am bound by a non-disclosure agreement. Do not attempt go get
around me with any caffiene, sucrose, theobromine, phenylethylamine,
anandamide preparations either. I am quite immune to such blandishments.

probably for the best you are immune- do you really want to be the
master fattie who takes candy away from scrawny runners?? they *need*
those calories..

heather

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home