PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong to ride Leadville 100

December 1st 06, 09:22 PM
from:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews

Rider number limited; there will be complaints. Line up to the left. Or
right.
--D-y

Daniel Connelly
December 1st 06, 09:29 PM
wrote:
> from:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
>
> Rider number limited; there will be complaints. Line up to the left. Or
> right.
> --D-y

There's no favoritism. Win the Tour, skip the lottery. Same for
anyone, I'm sure.

Dan

RicodJour
December 1st 06, 09:55 PM
Daniel Connelly wrote:
> wrote:
> > from:
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
> >
> > Rider number limited; there will be complaints. Line up to the left. Or
> > right.
> > --D-y
> >
> There's no favoritism. Win the Tour, skip the lottery. Same for
> anyone, I'm sure.

Draw 10,000 more people, skip the lottery.

Kurgan Gringioni
December 1st 06, 10:43 PM
RicodJour wrote:

> > There's no favoritism. Win the Tour, skip the lottery. Same for
> > anyone, I'm sure.
>
> Draw 10,000 more people, skip the lottery.

Dumbass -

Since they have a lottery, there is clearly no need for his draw when
it comes to racers.

The thing he brings to the table for the promotors is publicity and a
rise in sponsorship dollars.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

RicodJour
December 1st 06, 11:42 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
>
> > > There's no favoritism. Win the Tour, skip the lottery. Same for
> > > anyone, I'm sure.
> >
> > Draw 10,000 more people, skip the lottery.
>

> Dumbass -
>

> Since they have a lottery, there is clearly no need for his draw when
> it comes to racers.
>
> The thing he brings to the table for the promotors is publicity and a
> rise in sponsorship dollars.

Excellent job of parsing, Sparky. 10,000 riders - what do you think
Leadville is, RAGBRAI? There's more to be gained for the town.
Tourist dollars weigh more. "Ooh, honey, look! There's LANCE!! Let's
go get a couple of sandwiches and buy some T-shirts."

Bob Schwartz
December 2nd 06, 01:40 AM
Daniel Connelly wrote:
> wrote:
>> from:
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
>>
>> Rider number limited; there will be complaints. Line up to the left. Or
>> right.
>> --D-y
>>
> There's no favoritism. Win the Tour, skip the lottery. Same for
> anyone, I'm sure.

The Chequamegon Fat Tire race (entry limit 2500, which used to fill
in days until they went to a lottery) reserves spots for the organizer
and sponsors to fill. No one complains. You can also earn entry through
an essay contest and by working at the prior year's edition.

Bob Schwartz

December 2nd 06, 04:57 AM
wrote:
> from:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/mtb.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec02mtbnews
>
> Rider number limited; there will be complaints. Line up to the left. Or
> right.

"If he has time to train, the Tour de France winner could challenge for
the win."

Early prediction: While racing in a top-three position at
the 50-mile mark and in an apparent strong position for the win,
LANCE twists it up while bombing down the surprisingly
dicey descent from the mine at 11,000 feet while trying to
follow an actual mountain biker, someone like Eatough or
Jaurez or Feldman, down the acutely rutted jeep road.
Slightly injured in the crash, LANCE falls behind the leaders
and toughs it out to the finish in something like seventh place.
On the final climb he is passed by Steve Fassbinder who is riding
a single speed with a rigid fork. At the finish LANCE and
promoter-state senator Chlouber get into a gun fight and
LANCE lies bleeding on Main Street in front of a stunned
audience. Then LANCE gets up and everybody sees it was
just a fake gunfight publicity stunt to promote Chlouber's new
chili and sloppy joe restaurant.

Robert

Kurgan Gringioni
December 2nd 06, 05:00 AM
RicodJour wrote:
> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> > > Draw 10,000 more people, skip the lottery.
> >

> > Dumbass -
> >

> > Since they have a lottery, there is clearly no need for his draw when
> > it comes to racers.
> >
> > The thing he brings to the table for the promotors is publicity and a
> > rise in sponsorship dollars.
>
> Excellent job of parsing, Sparky. 10,000 riders - what do you think
> Leadville is, RAGBRAI? There's more to be gained for the town.
> Tourist dollars weigh more. "Ooh, honey, look! There's LANCE!! Let's
> go get a couple of sandwiches and buy some T-shirts."

Dumbass -

You ever been to Leadville? Blink your eyes and you'll miss it.

There's nothing there for the tourists to spend their money on.
According to Robert Chung's favorite source, wikipedia, the population
is 2688 and it encompases 1.1 square miles. It's very nearly a ghost
town.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville,_Colorado

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

RicodJour
December 2nd 06, 05:26 AM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> > >
> > > Since they have a lottery, there is clearly no need for his draw when
> > > it comes to racers.
> > >
> > > The thing he brings to the table for the promotors is publicity and a
> > > rise in sponsorship dollars.
> >
> > Excellent job of parsing, Sparky. 10,000 riders - what do you think
> > Leadville is, RAGBRAI? There's more to be gained for the town.
> > Tourist dollars weigh more. "Ooh, honey, look! There's LANCE!! Let's
> > go get a couple of sandwiches and buy some T-shirts."
>

> You ever been to Leadville? Blink your eyes and you'll miss it.
>
> There's nothing there for the tourists to spend their money on.
> According to Robert Chung's favorite source, wikipedia, the population
> is 2688 and it encompases 1.1 square miles. It's very nearly a ghost
> town.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville,_Colorado

Yes, actually I have been there. Many moons ago when I rode cross
country. If the LANCE appears, they will come. Fewer purveyors =
longer lines. That's the equation. If it's hot and I've run out of
beer, I have no problem paying $5 a beer. Droves of LANCE-aniacs will
be sporting yellow T-shirts emblazoned with, LANCE Got The Lead Out In
Leadville, or something equally trite.

I see someone like Tinker making it his mission to spank LANCE, fly by
him and shout, "Try to keep up, sonny!" Then they'd laugh, have some
beers afterwards and talk about the models they've banged. Tinker will
tell LANCE that the dreads are chick magnets and LANCE will tell his
favorite pickup line - "Anyone can juggle one ball, sweetie."

It'll be a swell time. You should go. Bring money. Dumbass.

December 2nd 06, 02:23 PM
RicodJour wrote:
(Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> > You ever been to Leadville? Blink your eyes and you'll miss it.

(RJ replied):
> Yes, actually I have been there.

Yeah, it'll be good for the restaurant. And the gas station, too, as
long as they keep control of the restroom door key, of course.

Any heads-up on OLN coverage yet? --D-y

RicodJour
December 2nd 06, 04:41 PM
wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> (Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>
> > > You ever been to Leadville? Blink your eyes and you'll miss it.
>
> (RJ replied):
> > Yes, actually I have been there.
>
> Yeah, it'll be good for the restaurant. And the gas station, too, as
> long as they keep control of the restroom door key, of course.

It would be nice to have helicopters drop people on the course so they
don't have to pass through town. Most people will probably drive there
I'd imagine.

The population is near 3,000, there are a number of restaurants, bars
and stores as in any small town.
http://www.leadvilleusa.com/display.ihtml?id=160&step=2

Leadville isn't Hooterville.
http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/gacast.asp

December 2nd 06, 05:45 PM
RicodJour wrote:
> Most people will probably drive there
> I'd imagine.

Yup. One way, or the other <g>.

> The population is near 3,000, there are a number of restaurants, bars
> and stores as in any small town.
> http://www.leadvilleusa.com/display.ihtml?id=160&step=2
>
> Leadville isn't Hooterville.
> http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/gacast.asp

RJ-- just joshin' a little. OK? --D-y

RicodJour
December 2nd 06, 09:54 PM
wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> > Most people will probably drive there
> > I'd imagine.
>
> Yup. One way, or the other <g>.
>
> > The population is near 3,000, there are a number of restaurants, bars
> > and stores as in any small town.
> > http://www.leadvilleusa.com/display.ihtml?id=160&step=2
> >
> > Leadville isn't Hooterville.
> > http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/gacast.asp
>
> RJ-- just joshin' a little. OK? --D-y

But...but...you didn't call me dumbass and that hurt my feelings! What
does a guy have to do to get a little disrespect around here?

Donald Munro
December 2nd 06, 10:30 PM
RicodJour wrote:
> The population is near 3,000, there are a number of restaurants, bars
> and stores as in any small town.

Can you get blue cooler boxes anywhere in town or do they need to be
delivered by helicopter or blimp ?

Kurgan Gringioni
December 2nd 06, 11:13 PM
RicodJour wrote:

> > > Excellent job of parsing, Sparky. 10,000 riders - what do you think
> > > Leadville is, RAGBRAI? There's more to be gained for the town.
> > > Tourist dollars weigh more. "Ooh, honey, look! There's LANCE!! Let's
> > > go get a couple of sandwiches and buy some T-shirts."
> >

> > You ever been to Leadville? Blink your eyes and you'll miss it.
> >
> > There's nothing there for the tourists to spend their money on.
> > According to Robert Chung's favorite source, wikipedia, the population
> > is 2688 and it encompases 1.1 square miles. It's very nearly a ghost
> > town.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leadville,_Colorado
>
> Yes, actually I have been there. Many moons ago when I rode cross
> country. If the LANCE appears, they will come.

<snip>

Dumbass -

I agree.

LANCE's participation in the race will spawn a massive tourist
renaissance in Leadville!

you learn something new every day,

K. Gringioni.

RicodJour
December 2nd 06, 11:25 PM
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
> RicodJour wrote:
> >
> > If the LANCE appears, they will come.
>
> Dumbass -
>
> I agree.
>
> LANCE's participation in the race will spawn a massive tourist
> renaissance in Leadville!
>
> you learn something new every day,

Yes, you do. It's even money that LANCE simply riding above the old
mine will create new ore.

Ryan Cousineau
December 3rd 06, 03:13 AM
In article om>,
"RicodJour" > wrote:

> wrote:
> > RicodJour wrote:
> > > Most people will probably drive there
> > > I'd imagine.
> >
> > Yup. One way, or the other <g>.
> >
> > > The population is near 3,000, there are a number of restaurants, bars
> > > and stores as in any small town.
> > > http://www.leadvilleusa.com/display.ihtml?id=160&step=2
> > >
> > > Leadville isn't Hooterville.
> > > http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/gacast.asp
> >
> > RJ-- just joshin' a little. OK? --D-y
>
> But...but...you didn't call me dumbass and that hurt my feelings! What
> does a guy have to do to get a little disrespect around here?

Esteemed Rico, you're French. You can safely assume the disrespect.

We spat in your entree, too,

RicodJour
December 3rd 06, 04:00 AM
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> "RicodJour" > wrote:
> >
> > But...but...you didn't call me dumbass and that hurt my feelings! What
> > does a guy have to do to get a little disrespect around here?
> >

> Esteemed Rico, you're French. You can safely assume the disrespect.
>
> We spat in your entree, too,

That's a relief. Spit I can deal with. I thought you might get really
disgusting.

December 3rd 06, 03:58 PM
RicodJour wrote:
> wrote:
> > RicodJour wrote:
> > > Most people will probably drive there
> > > I'd imagine.
> >
> > Yup. One way, or the other <g>.
> >
> > > The population is near 3,000, there are a number of restaurants, bars
> > > and stores as in any small town.
> > > http://www.leadvilleusa.com/display.ihtml?id=160&step=2
> > >
> > > Leadville isn't Hooterville.
> > > http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/gacast.asp
> >
> > RJ-- just joshin' a little. OK? --D-y
>
> But...but...you didn't call me dumbass and that hurt my feelings! What
> does a guy have to do to get a little disrespect around here?

Posting works. Since you haven't noticed, dumbass (there, feel
better?)!
--D-y

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home