PDA

View Full Version : Anyone carry pepper spray while riding?

J999w
June 17th 04, 07:28 AM
Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack them
with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just starting their
summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of their friend's car.

Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes 'ya
gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and
normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come across some
buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the 'faggy
bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical impossible feats, but I
fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking
for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their car
will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge (something legal).

Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

Thanks.

jw
Milwaukee

Bert L.
June 17th 04, 08:48 AM
"J999w" > schreef in bericht

> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw
> Milwaukee

http://www.roseversand.de/rose_main.cfm?cid=160&spr_id=1&mid=0&vip=0&art=0

tk
June 17th 04, 03:28 PM
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

Ruger GP-100 4in barrel, stainless.
148gr. FJHP Federal Hydroshock
Gun control - The ability to put two rounds through the same hole.

Gooserider
June 19th 04, 01:34 AM
I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as well. I
suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged predators, but my
tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.

Bill Davidson
June 19th 04, 09:48 PM
J999w wrote:
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?

I started carrying Halt! after a homeless guy took a swing at
me with his cane as I was riding by (he missed). I never did
use it though. I was using that clip they make for it and
about 6 months after I bought it, it fell off when I was on a
long fast downhill. I haven't replaced it. I recomend not
using that clip. I seem to get more threats from drivers who
can roll their windows up and render it ineffective. Loose
dogs are rare where I ride.

Mike DeMicco
June 19th 04, 10:16 PM
Bill Davidson > wrote in news:OE1Bc.8231$tC5.7408
@fed1read02:

> J999w wrote:
>> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> I seem to get more threats from drivers who
> can roll their windows up and render it ineffective. Loose
> dogs are rare where I ride.

In front of the windshield is the air intake vents. Some pepper spray
directed to this area would be forced into the vehicle by the ventilation
system regardless of whether the windows are up or not. I think most
vehicles have some flow-through ventilation even if the system is
switched off.

--
Mike DeMicco >

George
June 20th 04, 02:33 AM
"J999w" > wrote in message
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack
them
> with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just starting
their
> summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
> little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of their friend's
car.

> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes
'ya
> gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and
> normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come across
some
> buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the
'faggy
> bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
> stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical impossible feats,
but I
> fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone
looking
> for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their
car
> will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge (something
legal).

> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw
> Milwaukee

Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite w/ 102 gr Golden Sabre ammo. Started carrying
it all of the time (legally with gun permit) after 2 drunken hoofties tried
to run me off of the road with their pickup truck.

Rick
June 20th 04, 05:46 AM
Mike,

This is a pretty dangerous recommendation. Drivers of the ilk under
discussion lack the talent to drive safely in the first place. Rendering
them effectively blind in this manner could present a serious danger to a
significant number of people. Even if you could prove you acted in
self-defense, I think it likely that should the driver subsequently injure
someone due to impairment, the responsibility would not land there.

Despite their lack of skills, I cannot advocate the use of violence against
drivers. Even the insolent hand gesture does nothing to improve my mood and
potentially escalates a no-win situation into one where injuries may occur.
Since I adopted a more mellow response to dangerous drivers, I find that I
often forget about them and forget to even discuss them after the ride is
over. Oh, I still mumble something under my breath while smiling and waving
at them, but I am amused, rather than angry, at them when they look at me
with total bewilderment.

There may be times where weapons, sprays, or bad attitudes are an
understandable response (I doubt, for example, that I'd be any too mellow if
someone actually hit me), but most of the time, I find that I feel better
about myself and the world, as a whole, if I just let it go.

Rick

"Mike DeMicco" > wrote in message
.4...
> Bill Davidson > wrote in news:OE1Bc.8231$tC5.7408
> @fed1read02:
>
> > J999w wrote:
> >> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
> >
> > I seem to get more threats from drivers who
> > can roll their windows up and render it ineffective. Loose
> > dogs are rare where I ride.
> >

> In front of the windshield is the air intake vents. Some pepper spray
> directed to this area would be forced into the vehicle by the ventilation
> system regardless of whether the windows are up or not. I think most
> vehicles have some flow-through ventilation even if the system is
> switched off.
>
> --
> Mike DeMicco >

zperrys
June 20th 04, 07:30 AM
J999w wrote:
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack
> them with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just
> starting their summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer,
> and getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out of the
> window of their friend's car.
> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes
> 'ya gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs)
> and normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come
> across some buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to
> take on the 'faggy bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the
> finger, or give them a stream of expletives and some suggestions of
> physical impossible feats, but I fear that some hot night, when I'm out
> riding, I'll come across someone looking for a fight and I'm thinking
> that the full water bottle I bounce off their car will just entice them
> more and I'm going to need an edge (something legal).
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
> Thanks.
> jw Milwaukee

You're not one of those guys who rides in the road, even though there' a
bike lane, are you? Many people get freaked out because of people on
bicycles. Many are just idiots. But most don't want to hurt us. Those
that do don't deserve a bullet (as many on this thread have basically
siggested, and which, honestly at times, I might have condoned myself, I
am after all a cyclist), but should be ignored.

Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass
simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take
your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)

--

Mitch Haley
June 20th 04, 11:46 AM
zperrys wrote:
> Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass
> simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take
> your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)

And what good will that do, aside from getting medical attention
more quickly? Do you think the cops are capable of protecting you
if you call them when you're already under attack?
Seems the only two choices are being prepared to defend yourself
or fleeing from danger.
Mitch.

James Spencer
June 20th 04, 08:25 PM
In article >, George
> wrote:

> "J999w" > wrote in message
> > Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack
> them
> > with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just starting
> their
> > summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
> > little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of their friend's
> car.
> >
> > Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes
> 'ya
> > gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and
> > normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come across
> some
> > buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the
> 'faggy
> > bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
> > stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical impossible feats,
> but I
> > fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone
> looking
> > for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their
> car
> > will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge (something
> legal).
> >
> > Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > jw
> > Milwaukee
>
> Colt .380 Mustang Pocketlite w/ 102 gr Golden Sabre ammo. Started carrying
> it all of the time (legally with gun permit) after 2 drunken hoofties tried
> to run me off of the road with their pickup truck.

What, you going to shoot them as they drive away next time? (Not that
they don't deserve it but I can't see the gun being of much value in
this context.)

--
James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

"Badges?? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

Mitch Haley
June 20th 04, 09:02 PM
James Spencer wrote:
> What, you going to shoot them as they drive away next time? (Not that
> they don't deserve it but I can't see the gun being of much value in
> this context.)

About all you can do is have it ready in case they come around again.
If somebody nearly strikes you with a 2 ton blunt object, and then
turns around and aims it at you again, I'd consider that a good reason
to respond with force.
Mitch.

HardwareLust
June 21st 04, 06:01 PM
Gooserider wrote:
> I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as
> well. I suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged
> predators, but my tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will
> work better.

What kind of ammo do you carry in that thing for dogs? Snake shot?

HardwareLust
June 21st 04, 06:24 PM
zperrys wrote:
> You're not one of those guys who rides in the road, even though
> there' a bike lane, are you? Many people get freaked out because of

In my state, there is no provision that states you *must* use the bike lane
if there is one. Bicycles are just as much vehicles as cars, (pardon me, no
one drives 'cars' anymore...) SUV's are.

> people on bicycles. Many are just idiots. But most don't want to hurt
> us. Those
> that do don't deserve a bullet (as many on this thread have basically

What f*cking planet are you living on? Anyone who has choosen to use their
vehicle to attack me, deserves a bullet. Preferably two.

> siggested, and which, honestly at times, I might have condoned
> myself, I
> am after all a cyclist), but should be ignored.

That's right, just ignore the people that suggested that the use of force in
response to an attack by a two-ton moron-piloted vehicle is justified. Just
lie down and let them run you over next time. God forbid you actually
defend yourself. Grow some balls, dude!

> Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass
> simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take
> your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)

Riiiight, and Mr. Big Ass Dude will very patiently wait for you to fumble
out your phone, call 911 and wait while you describe him, the situation, and
your location. I'm sure his fear of the police will freeze him in his
tracks. Fight or flight, those are your only two choices in that situation.
I prefer to have to have both options.

Where do you live? I would much rather be there than here in the real
world.

Regards,
H.

HardwareLust
June 21st 04, 06:33 PM
J999w wrote:
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or
> wack them with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids
> just starting their summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of
> beer, and getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out of
> the window of their friend's car.
>
> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm
> (sometimes 'ya gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5"
> and 200+ lbs) and normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a
> while I come across some buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave
> and is ready to take on the 'faggy bicyclist'. My normal reaction is
> to flip them the finger, or give them a stream of expletives and some
> suggestions of physical impossible feats, but I fear that some hot
> night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking for a
> fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their
> car will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge
> (something legal).
>
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw
> Milwaukee

If I were to carry something non-lethal other than a gun, I think I would
probably prefer a air-powered cartridge loaded taser (the kind that looks
like a gun and shoots 15 feet,*NOT* the cheap contact kind) over a can of
pepper spray. I believe that they're legal to carry concealed in most
states without a license. They require some training and practice to use
effectively, but the training is easy to get.

People who are enraged (or just pumped on adrenaline) and/or on drugs can
still function and continue attacking you even after being sprayed
(especially with consumer-grade sprays), whereas 50,000 volts will stop
anything short of a bull elephant dead in his tracks.

I have been trained to use both, and when facing a single attacker, I would
feel much more confident of stopping an attacker with a taser in my hand
than a can of pepper spray, but that's just me. If you are facing multiple
attackers, then I might give the nod to the spray, assuming you are properly
trained and practice it's use.

Regards,
H.

Raoul Duke
June 21st 04, 07:39 PM
"Gooserider" > wrote in message
om...

> I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as well.
> suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged predators, but
my
> tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.

With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute, fun little toy, but
I would hope you would never consider one to be a serious defense weapon.

Dave

HardwareLust
June 21st 04, 08:19 PM
Raoul Duke wrote:
> "Gooserider" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>> I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as
>> well. I suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged
>> predators, but my tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will
>> work better.
>
> With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute, fun little
> toy, but I would hope you would never consider one to be a serious
> defense weapon.
>
> Dave

Well, in context, if I had to choose only one between a can of Halt!, an air
horn, or a NAA .22 revolver, I'd take the (tiny) revolver over the other two
choices, although I think that there are much better choices for a carry gun
available.

Dogs are usually pretty easy to scare off, so I'd probably prefer to have
two choices, one for two-legged perpetrators, and one for the four-legged
kind. Oddly enough, the thought of shooting a dog disturbs me a great deal
more than a person. I'd much prefer to use a non-lethal form of persuasion
on our four-legged friends.

Regards,
H.

GaryG
June 21st 04, 08:32 PM
"J999w" > wrote in message
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack
them
> with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just starting
their
> summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
> little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of their friend's
car.

> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes
'ya
> gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and
> normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come across
some
> buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the
'faggy
> bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
> stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical impossible feats,
but I
> fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone
looking
> for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their
car
> will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge (something
legal).

> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw
> Milwaukee

Yes...I carry "10% Pepper Spray". Halt might be OK for dogs, but it is very
weak pepper spray, and would not be a good choice against two-legged
varmints.

A small pepper spray fits neatly in the jersey pocket and can be deployed
quickly. I've used it several times on dogs, and the effect is impressive.
They seem to immediately lose all interest in chasing me, and sometimes go
to the side of the road to rub their muzzles in the grass. They don't
whimper or cry, so I'm assuming it doesn't hurt them too much.

I've never used it on a person, but I've seen it used by a cop on a
belligerent drunk and feel comforted by how "persuasive" the pepper can be.

~_-*
....G/ \G
http://www.CycliStats.com
CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

J999w
June 22nd 04, 06:05 AM
>> Now, if some big ass dude comes up to you and wants to kick your ass
>> simply because your riding a bicycle, then call the cops (you do take
>> your cell phone with you when you ride, right?)
>
>And what good will that do, aside from getting medical attention
>more quickly? Do you think the cops are capable of protecting you
>if you call them when you're already under attack?
>Seems the only two choices are being prepared to defend yourself
>or fleeing from danger.
>Mitch.

I agree. The phone is good if you've got time to call in a license number, but
if someone's jamming you into the curb, you've got no time for dialing.

Do I ride the bike lane? Sure if it's not full of gravel, or mud from the last
rain. Otherwise I have no problem taking a full lane until it's safe to move
right again.

I'll let 'yall know what kind of spray I end up buying.

jw (j999w)
Milwaukee

Gooserider
June 22nd 04, 10:52 PM
"Raoul Duke" > wrote in message

> "Gooserider" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as
well.
> > suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged predators,
but
> my
> > tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.
>
> With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute, fun little toy,
but
> I would hope you would never consider one to be a serious defense weapon.
>
> Dave

I wouldn't want to get shot with one. It's a last ditch option which fits
nicely in a jersey pocket. Is it the equal of my Kahr P9? No. But a single
22 shot is likely to be enough to deter anybody. Or at least give me time to
get away.

Mike

Abe Oogerfart
June 25th 04, 04:24 AM
J999w wrote:
> Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or wack them
> with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids just starting their
> summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of beer, and getting just a
> little too abusive while half hanging out of the window of their friend's car.
>
> Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm (sometimes 'ya
> gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5" and 200+ lbs) and
> normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a while I come across some
> buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave and is ready to take on the 'faggy
> bicyclist'. My normal reaction is to flip them the finger, or give them a
> stream of expletives and some suggestions of physical impossible feats, but I
> fear that some hot night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking
> for a fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their car
> will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge (something legal).
>
> Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>
> Thanks.
>
> jw
> Milwaukee

I carry it in case of bear or mountain lions, but the
animal I find it most useful for usually drives an SUV.

Pepper spray/mace combo is my weapon of choice.
Try ebay.

Abe Oogerfart
June 25th 04, 04:30 AM
Raoul Duke wrote:

> "Gooserider" > wrote in message
> om...
>

>>I carry Halt to deal with dogs, but my Air Zound horn works just as well.

>>suppose the Halt would work pretty well against two legged predators, but
>
> my
>
>>tiny little North American Arms 22 revolver will work better.
>

> With all due respect, your NAA mini revolver is a cute, fun little toy, but
> I would hope you would never consider one to be a serious defense weapon.
>
> Dave

Actually, pop somebody in the head with that little .22 bullet
and it will turn someones brain into scrambled eggs.
You see it just bounces around inside there without coming back out.
Kind of like what happened to Brady when Hinkley shot him.

Abe Oogerfart
June 25th 04, 04:37 AM
HardwareLust wrote:

> J999w wrote:
>
>>Not so much for dogs ... I'll either spray some Gatorade on them or
>>wack them with my pump ... but more for when encountering rowdy kids
>>just starting their summer vacation, have had a few too many cans of
>>beer, and getting just a little too abusive while half hanging out of
>>the window of their friend's car.
>>
>>Had such an encounter tonight while out riding about 10:30pm
>>(sometimes 'ya gotta ride whenever you can). Now, I'm a big guy (6'5"
>>and 200+ lbs) and normally don't get harrassed, but every once and a
>>while I come across some buzzed social bottom feeder feeling brave
>>and is ready to take on the 'faggy bicyclist'. My normal reaction is
>>to flip them the finger, or give them a stream of expletives and some
>>suggestions of physical impossible feats, but I fear that some hot
>>night, when I'm out riding, I'll come across someone looking for a
>>fight and I'm thinking that the full water bottle I bounce off their
>>car will just entice them more and I'm going to need an edge
>>(something legal).
>>
>>Anyone carry pepper spray? Ever use it? What kind?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>jw
>>Milwaukee
>

> If I were to carry something non-lethal other than a gun, I think I would
> probably prefer a air-powered cartridge loaded taser (the kind that looks
> like a gun and shoots 15 feet,*NOT* the cheap contact kind) over a can of
> pepper spray. I believe that they're legal to carry concealed in most
> states without a license. They require some training and practice to use
> effectively, but the training is easy to get.
>
> People who are enraged (or just pumped on adrenaline) and/or on drugs can
> still function and continue attacking you even after being sprayed
> (especially with consumer-grade sprays), whereas 50,000 volts will stop
> anything short of a bull elephant dead in his tracks.
>
> I have been trained to use both, and when facing a single attacker, I would
> feel much more confident of stopping an attacker with a taser in my hand
> than a can of pepper spray, but that's just me. If you are facing multiple
> attackers, then I might give the nod to the spray, assuming you are properly
> trained and practice it's use.
>
> Regards,
> H.

I saw some statistics on tasers the other day, and they are
only effective about 20% of the time from 10-15 feet, <5% under
10 feet and <5% over 15 feet.

I don't think I would like to trust my life to one of these.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home