PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant and clueless

Bill C
December 2nd 06, 11:02 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec03news

McQuaid plays down federations' protests

I sincerely hope that the NGBs all stick together and fracture the UCI
over this, but I DO hope that McBoggy gets his wish in that the UCI is
like the major US sports.
None of their **** would be happening with unions the strength of
those in our sports here, and the track record in court for the leagues
isn't a real happy one either. Baseball is scared ****les that the
MLBPA, or Congress is going to overturn their anti-trust exemption too.

I'd love to see the UCI forced to deal with that type of situation.
Just goes to show you how out of touch the UCI's leadership is.
Time for a new IGB for Europe, and a whole new approach.
Like Les keeps saying, and USAC keeps proving, "Things aren't going to
be better until people break with the governing body." Look how long
the reform here lasted. Right until Gerard put out the fire and brought
everyone back. Now were back to the same old lousy, incestuous, Good
Old Boy, no representation/We don't give a **** what you peasants think
situation.
I'm sure that Greg could dig us up a good quote about how it's the
people's duty to reign in, or remove a failed government. It happened
to Bush, now it's time to bring that to USAC and the UCI.
People Power!
Bill C

Mike Jacoubowsky
December 3rd 06, 07:13 AM
> I'm sure that Greg could dig us up a good quote about how it's the
> people's duty to reign in, or remove a failed government. It happened
> to Bush, now it's time to bring that to USAC and the UCI.
> People Power!
> Bill C

Bill: You sound like me, after watching "V for Vendetta" again. As I've said
before, the best line from the movie, perhaps the best line from any movie-

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be
afraid of their people."

The people have the power. At least they should. It's really difficult for
many of us in the US to figure out how the situation can continue, since
here, there'd be the very real threat of massive lawsuits to keep the
governing bodies in line. We're talking pretty big money lost, and
reputations ruined, with little more than preliminary release of damning
evidence that later turns out to have little, if anything, to it.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Bill C" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec03news
>
> McQuaid plays down federations' protests
>

> I sincerely hope that the NGBs all stick together and fracture the UCI
> over this, but I DO hope that McBoggy gets his wish in that the UCI is
> like the major US sports.
> None of their **** would be happening with unions the strength of
> those in our sports here, and the track record in court for the leagues
> isn't a real happy one either. Baseball is scared ****les that the
> MLBPA, or Congress is going to overturn their anti-trust exemption too.
>
> I'd love to see the UCI forced to deal with that type of situation.
> Just goes to show you how out of touch the UCI's leadership is.
> Time for a new IGB for Europe, and a whole new approach.
> Like Les keeps saying, and USAC keeps proving, "Things aren't going to
> be better until people break with the governing body." Look how long
> the reform here lasted. Right until Gerard put out the fire and brought
> everyone back. Now were back to the same old lousy, incestuous, Good
> Old Boy, no representation/We don't give a **** what you peasants think
> situation.
> I'm sure that Greg could dig us up a good quote about how it's the
> people's duty to reign in, or remove a failed government. It happened
> to Bush, now it's time to bring that to USAC and the UCI.
> People Power!
> Bill C

Michael Press
December 3rd 06, 07:21 AM
In article
om>,
"Bill C" > wrote:

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec03news
>
> McQuaid plays down federations' protests
>

> I sincerely hope that the NGBs all stick together and fracture the UCI
> over this, but I DO hope that McBoggy gets his wish in that the UCI is
> like the major US sports.
> None of their **** would be happening with unions the strength of
> those in our sports here, and the track record in court for the leagues
> isn't a real happy one either. Baseball is scared ****les that the
> MLBPA, or Congress is going to overturn their anti-trust exemption too.
>
> I'd love to see the UCI forced to deal with that type of situation.
> Just goes to show you how out of touch the UCI's leadership is.
> Time for a new IGB for Europe, and a whole new approach.
> Like Les keeps saying, and USAC keeps proving, "Things aren't going to
> be better until people break with the governing body." Look how long
> the reform here lasted. Right until Gerard put out the fire and brought
> everyone back. Now were back to the same old lousy, incestuous, Good
> Old Boy, no representation/We don't give a **** what you peasants think
> situation.
> I'm sure that Greg could dig us up a good quote about how it's the
> people's duty to reign in, or remove a failed government. It happened
> to Bush, now it's time to bring that to USAC and the UCI.

That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its
foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such
form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety
and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments
long established should not be changed for light and transient
causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind
are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than
to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are
accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce
them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their
duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards
for their future security.

--
Michael Press

Davey Crockett
December 3rd 06, 09:27 AM
"Bill C" > writes:

> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec03news
>
> McQuaid plays down federations' protests
>

> I sincerely hope that the NGBs all stick together and fracture the UCI
> over this, but I DO hope that McBoggy gets his wish in that the UCI is
> like the major US sports.
> None of their **** would be happening with unions the strength of
> those in our sports here, and the track record in court for the leagues
> isn't a real happy one either. Baseball is scared ****les that the
> MLBPA, or Congress is going to overturn their anti-trust exemption too.
>
> I'd love to see the UCI forced to deal with that type of situation.
> Just goes to show you how out of touch the UCI's leadership is.
> Time for a new IGB for Europe, and a whole new approach.
> Like Les keeps saying, and USAC keeps proving, "Things aren't going to
> be better until people break with the governing body." Look how long
> the reform here lasted. Right until Gerard put out the fire and brought
> everyone back. Now were back to the same old lousy, incestuous, Good
> Old Boy, no representation/We don't give a **** what you peasants think
> situation.
> I'm sure that Greg could dig us up a good quote about how it's the
> people's duty to reign in, or remove a failed government. It happened
> to Bush, now it's time to bring that to USAC and the UCI.
> People Power!
> Bill C

The problem is that it's almost impossible in practical terms to
change things at the UCI

Firstly any item for inclusion on the agenda of the UCI annual
Congress must be submitted at least 90 days before the commencement of
the Congress

And whilst a simple majority of Delegates [22 if they all show up - No
Proxies] can remove the President, a Two-Thirds majority, say 29
votes, is required to dissolve the UCI, amend the Constitution or
incidentally boot a member [a national Federation] out.

A secret ballot is required to remove the President amongst a few
other items, although if seven members demand it, voting on any item
on the agenda shall be by secret ballot.

Now look at the composition of the Delegates to the Congress:

Africa: 7 delegates
America: 9 delegates
Asia: 9 delegates
Europe: 14 delegates
Oceania: 3 delegates

Since the UCI spends a disproportionate amount of its revenues [read
your licence fees] promoting cycling in Africa and Asia, it isn't
difficult to see that those areas would support the current
(mis)management.

Supposing all of the American, European and Oceania delegates vote as
a bloc, you will have enough votes for a simple majority, but in
practice, not all the European delegates wil be from 'heartland' bike
racing nations, nor will the American which also includes South
America. One of the Oceania delegates would probably go adrift too
presupposing the ANZAC delegates would stay with the mainstream.

And the two-thirds majority is out of the question, even if the
American, European and Oceania all stuck together which would probably
not happen.

So where does one go from here?

Well the solution seems to be to organize a new body as I have
advocated for several years now, and since the Tour/Giro/Vuelta
organizers own or control the vast majority of the major events, I am
inclined to think that they must at least have considered the
possibility of issuing their own license, particularly since the
organizers of many, if not all, the lesser and semi-classic events
support them.

Battling the UCI is futile, Sylvia Schenk if you remember, got nowhere
on McBoggy's living expenses, nor with the alleged interference with
the electoral process that gave us the current incumbent President
when there were two better qualified candidates

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2005/interviews/?id=sylvia_schenk05a

--
Le vent à Dos
Davey Crockett

sergio
December 3rd 06, 10:37 AM
Michael Press wrote:
> That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
> these ends, it is the right of the people ...

Gee, that sounds like a Founding Father of old.
Perhaps Benjamin Franklin?

Thanks.

Sergio
Pisa

Kurgan Gringioni
December 3rd 06, 01:43 PM
Michael Press wrote:

> That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
> these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
> abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its
> foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such
> form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety
> and happiness.

Dumbass -

The problem with applying the governmental analogy to the UCI is that
the nature of national governments are a matter of life, death and
taxes while the UCI and UCSF are, in the big picture, nearly completely
insignificant.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Carl Sundquist
December 3rd 06, 03:16 PM
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Michael Press wrote:
>>
>> That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
>> these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
>> abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its
>> foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such
>> form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety
>> and happiness.
>
> Dumbass -
>

> The problem with applying the governmental analogy to the UCI is that
> the nature of national governments are a matter of life, death and
> taxes while the UCI and UCSF are, in the big picture, nearly completely
> insignificant.

Agreed. But (as it applies to our interest in the sport) as a microcosm,
it's not insignificant to those who's livelihood depends on the status quo.
They will gather and invest near 100% effort to survive. The slope to the
"big picture" is a steep one, just look the USAC debacle and voter apathy.
Even punishment of individual malfeasance hardly slows the momentum of the
institution.

RonSonic
December 3rd 06, 04:10 PM
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 07:21:18 GMT, Michael Press > wrote:

>In article
om>,
> "Bill C" > wrote:
>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/dec06/dec03news
>>
>> McQuaid plays down federations' protests
>>

>> I sincerely hope that the NGBs all stick together and fracture the UCI
>> over this, but I DO hope that McBoggy gets his wish in that the UCI is
>> like the major US sports.
>> None of their **** would be happening with unions the strength of
>> those in our sports here, and the track record in court for the leagues
>> isn't a real happy one either. Baseball is scared ****les that the
>> MLBPA, or Congress is going to overturn their anti-trust exemption too.
>>
>> I'd love to see the UCI forced to deal with that type of situation.
>> Just goes to show you how out of touch the UCI's leadership is.
>> Time for a new IGB for Europe, and a whole new approach.
>> Like Les keeps saying, and USAC keeps proving, "Things aren't going to
>> be better until people break with the governing body." Look how long
>> the reform here lasted. Right until Gerard put out the fire and brought
>> everyone back. Now were back to the same old lousy, incestuous, Good
>> Old Boy, no representation/We don't give a **** what you peasants think
>> situation.
>> I'm sure that Greg could dig us up a good quote about how it's the
>> people's duty to reign in, or remove a failed government. It happened
>> to Bush, now it's time to bring that to USAC and the UCI.
>
>That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
>these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
>abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its
>foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such
>form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety
>and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments
>long established should not be changed for light and transient
>causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind
>are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than
>to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are
>accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations,
>pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce
>them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their
>duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards
>for their future security.

Hey, that's pretty snappy.

Ron

RonSonic
December 3rd 06, 04:12 PM
On 3 Dec 2006 02:37:53 -0800, "sergio" > wrote:

>Michael Press wrote:
>> That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
>> these ends, it is the right of the people ...
>
>Gee, that sounds like a Founding Father of old.
>Perhaps Benjamin Franklin?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Sergio
>Pisa

Jefferson, Declaration of Independence.

If you were American I'd have called you a dumbass.

Ron

Michael Press
December 4th 06, 03:42 AM
In article
om>,
"Kurgan Gringioni" > wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> >
> > That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to
> > these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to
> > abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its
> > foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such
> > form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety
> > and happiness.
>

> Dumbass -
>

> The problem with applying the governmental analogy to the UCI is that
> the nature of national governments are a matter of life, death and
> taxes while the UCI and UCSF are, in the big picture, nearly completely
> insignificant.

Yes. Still, if we cannot manage the small things we
will mismanage the large.

--
Michael Press

sergio
December 4th 06, 08:18 AM
RonSonic wrote:
> >Thanks.
> >Sergio
> Jefferson, Declaration of Independence.
> If you were American I'd have called you a dumbass.

Lucky, I am not.
Thank you so much, again.

Sergio
Pisa

Donald Munro
December 4th 06, 08:30 AM

RonSonic wrote:
> Jefferson, Declaration of Independence.
> If you were American I'd have called you a dumbass.

Dumbass,
Sergio is right; on rbr all quotes are attributed to Franklin. Thanks to
his insight into the rbr philosophy, sergio wins a Weiner tinfoil helmet
to protect him from the WADA satellites.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home