PDA

View Full Version : Re: Idiots driving around with fog lights on WHEN THERE'S NO FOG

'Arf
December 4th 06, 08:46 PM
Aeek wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
> wrote:

> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
> bikes.

You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

> I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
> being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an RPG7.

Simon Brooke
December 4th 06, 09:09 PM
in message om>, 'Arf
') wrote:

> Aeek wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
>> wrote:
>
>> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
>> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
>> bikes.
>
> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

Don't troll. Cycle paths are much more dangerous than roads.

;; this is not a .sig

Aeek
December 4th 06, 09:26 PM
On 4 Dec 2006 12:46:45 -0800, "'Arf" >
wrote:

>Aeek wrote:

>> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
>> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
>> bikes.
>
>You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
>obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

60kmh in a 60kmh zone, RIght I should be on the paths.
Faster than the cars most mornings, so they should move off the road
for my convenience? There is space to share.

LSMike
December 4th 06, 09:32 PM
'Arf wrote:
> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

Now why would most cyclists want to use a psyclepath when the road is
perfectly good, faster, when psyclepaths are generally more dangerous,
don't go where I want to go, full of debris, etc. etc. Silly blighter!
That, or you're a troll and ICMFP.

Paul Rudin
December 4th 06, 10:12 PM
"'Arf" > writes:

> Aeek wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
>> wrote:
>
>> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
>> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
>> bikes.
>
> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

Slow moving? I've done a lot of driving and cyling in urban
settings. IME cycling is faster than driving on average. Is your
experience otherwise?

'Arf
December 5th 06, 08:36 PM
Paul Rudin wrote:
> "'Arf" > writes:
>
> > Aeek wrote:
> >> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
> >> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
> >> bikes.

> > You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> > obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

> Slow moving? I've done a lot of driving and cyling in urban
> settings. IME cycling is faster than driving on average. Is your
> experience otherwise?

Considering I distinctly recall a bushfire crossing Barry Drive a good
few years ago, we're clearly not talking about an "Urban SETTING".

Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
their fellow road users.

They're basically a selfish cack of punts.

tallbloke
December 5th 06, 08:57 PM
"'Arf" > wrote in news:1165350962.876836.235830@
79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

> Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
> riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
> their fellow road users.
>
> They're basically a selfish cack of punts.

Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem sharing
the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.

So who's being the selfish 2@ here?

--
tallbloke

Pat in TX
December 5th 06, 08:57 PM
> Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
> riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
> their fellow road users.

And yet, they are legally entitled to use the road, so deal with it and stop
whining.

'Arf
December 5th 06, 09:03 PM
tallbloke wrote:
> "'Arf" > wrote in news:1165350962.876836.235830@
> 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

> > Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
> > riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
> > their fellow road users.

> > They're basically a selfish cack of punts.

> Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem sharing
> the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.

> So who's being the selfish 2@ here?

When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.

Cyclists show no such consideration: they threaten pedestrians, ignore
red lights, stop signs, give way signs (in fact they ignore all road
rules) and ride in such a way as to cause maximum amount of obstruction
to faster vehicles.

Aeek
December 5th 06, 09:13 PM
On 5 Dec 2006 12:36:02 -0800, "'Arf" >
wrote:

>Considering I distinctly recall a bushfire crossing Barry Drive a good
>few years ago, we're clearly not talking about an "Urban SETTING".

Its in the center of a city so clearly you're making this crap up as
you go. Do you believe any of what you're spouting?
Not that urban or ortherwise is any reason not to share the road.

tallbloke
December 5th 06, 09:19 PM
"'Arf" > wrote in
ups.com:

> tallbloke wrote:
>> "'Arf" > wrote in
>> news:1165350962.876836.235830@ 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>
>> > Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
>> > riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
>> > their fellow road users.
>
>> > They're basically a selfish cack of punts.
>
>> Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem
>> sharing the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.
>
>> So who's being the selfish 2@ here?
>
> When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.
>
> Cyclists show no such consideration: they threaten pedestrians, ignore
> red lights, stop signs, give way signs (in fact they ignore all road
> rules) and ride in such a way as to cause maximum amount of obstruction
> to faster vehicles.

No doubt there are some inconsiderate cyclists, same as there are some
inconsiderate car driver and bikers. Seems a bit of a broad brush you are
using though.

--
tallbloke

Marz
December 5th 06, 09:25 PM
'Arf wrote:
> tallbloke wrote:
> > "'Arf" > wrote in news:1165350962.876836.235830@
> > 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>
> > > Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
> > > riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
> > > their fellow road users.
>
> > > They're basically a selfish cack of punts.
>
> > Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem sharing
> > the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.
>
> > So who's being the selfish 2@ here?
>
> When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.
>
> Cyclists show no such consideration: they threaten pedestrians, ignore
> red lights, stop signs, give way signs (in fact they ignore all road
> rules) and ride in such a way as to cause maximum amount of obstruction
> to faster vehicles.

Does 'Arf stand for half a brain? Or for 'havin' a lau'arf' 'cos you're
a little bit waay, a little oooh, geezer like the nonse you are. If we
take your dumb comment, we can make it more accurate like so...

Most drivers show no such consideration: they threaten pedestrians,
ignore
red lights, stop signs, give way signs (in fact they ignore all road
rules) and drive in such a way as to cause maximum amount of
obstruction
and injury to everyone else.

laters,

Marz

Paulmouk
December 5th 06, 10:03 PM
"'Arf" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> tallbloke wrote:
>> "'Arf" > wrote in
>> 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>
>> > Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
>> > riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
>> > their fellow road users.
>
>> > They're basically a selfish cack of punts.
>
>> Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem
>> sharing
>> the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.
>
>> So who's being the selfish 2@ here?
>
> When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.
>
> Cyclists show no such consideration: they threaten pedestrians, ignore
> red lights, stop signs, give way signs (in fact they ignore all road
> rules) and ride in such a way as to cause maximum amount of obstruction
> to faster vehicles.

As most adult cyclists are car drivers/owners, you could try thinking of
them as 'motorists on bikes'.
Once you realise that they are motorists you can begin to understand why
some of them behave as selfishly as car drivers do.

Paul.

Werehatrack
December 5th 06, 11:39 PM
Plonk. 'nuff said.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Dave Larrington
December 6th 06, 08:33 AM
In ups.com,
'Arf > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> Aeek wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty"
>> > wrote:
>
>> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
>> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
>> bikes.
>
> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.
>
>> I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
>> being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an
>> RPG7.

Back in your box, laddie.

--
Dave Larrington
Life - loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.

burt
December 6th 06, 08:45 AM
"'Arf" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Cyclists show no such consideration: they threaten pedestrians, ignore
> red lights, stop signs, give way signs (in fact they ignore all road
> rules) and ride in such a way as to cause maximum amount of obstruction
> to faster vehicles.

Faster vehicles? That'll be the hundreds of cars I pass on my commute every
day? I did drive once, down the local motorway with no cyclists to hold me
up, but it took so much longer that I've never repeated the experience.

Just condider this 'Arf a brain: if all the cyclists decided to drive cars,
you and your car wouldn't go anywhere.

Coach
December 6th 06, 12:20 PM
"'Arf" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Aeek wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
>> wrote:
>
>> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
>> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
>> bikes.
>
> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.
>
>> I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
>> being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an RPG7.

We have cycle and taxi/bus lanes in Newport.
These are for the sole use of boy racers with fogs
no police intervention at all

coach

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
December 6th 06, 12:29 PM
Coach wrote:
> "'Arf" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Aeek wrote:
> >> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
> >> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
> >> bikes.
> >
> > You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> > obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.
> >
> >> I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
> >> being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an RPG7.
> >
> We have cycle and taxi/bus lanes in Newport.
> These are for the sole use of boy racers with fogs
> no police intervention at all

In urban areas of the US, we have the same situation, except substitute
arrogant yuppies in SUV's and luxury cars or (in the hood) gangbangers
in unlicensed vehicles. It is prudent to stay out of the way of the
latter, as they often (illegally) possess semi-automatic firearms.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Simon Brooke
December 6th 06, 12:49 PM
in message >, Dave Larrington
') wrote:

> In ups.com,
> 'Arf > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
>> Aeek wrote:
>>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty"
>>
>>> Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
>>> down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
>>> bikes.
>>
>> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
>> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.
>>
>>> I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
>>> being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an
>>> RPG7.

I don't think that's trolling. Back in the day when I and friends used to
commute along the A6, we'd regularly have discussions about what sorts of
weapons we'd like to strap to our bikes to deal with dangerous motorists.
We never actually did it, of course - RPGs are hard to come by - but it
was a good way of letting off steam.

I think that's what Aeek's doing, and I sympathise.

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

Simon Brooke
December 6th 06, 01:06 PM
in message om>, 'Arf
') wrote:

> tallbloke wrote:
>> "'Arf" > wrote in
>> news:1165350962.876836.235830@ 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>
>> > Bicycles are not faster than cars, they lack acceleration and their
>> > riders have a comprehensive disregard for the rules of the road and
>> > their fellow road users.
>
>> > They're basically a selfish cack of punts.
>
>> Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem
>> sharing the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.
>
>> So who's being the selfish 2@ here?
>
> When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.
>
> Cyclists show no such consideration:

There are bad cyclists, granted. But there are not nearly as many bad
cyclists as bad drivers; and most cyclists are not bad cyclists. I wish
the same were true of drivers.

;; MS Windows: A thirty-two bit extension ... to a sixteen bit
;; patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a
;; four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that
;; can't stand one bit of competition -- anonymous

Dave Larrington
December 6th 06, 02:18 PM
In ,
Simon Brooke > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> in message >, Dave Larrington
> ') wrote:
>
>> In ups.com,
>> 'Arf > tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
>> us:

>>> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
>>> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

> I don't think that's trolling. Back in the day when I and friends
> used to commute along the A6, we'd regularly have discussions about
> what sorts of weapons we'd like to strap to our bikes to deal with
> dangerous motorists. We never actually did it, of course - RPGs are
> hard to come by - but it was a good way of letting off steam.
>
> I think that's what Aeek's doing, and I sympathise.

I think your attributions have slipped, Simon, coz I never wrote none of
that, honest guv.

--
Dave Larrington
While you were out at the Rollright Stones, I came and set fire

Earl Purple
December 6th 06, 03:11 PM
'Arf wrote:
> Aeek wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:42:08 +1100, "bikerbetty" >
> > wrote:
>
> > Big help for spotting you in my bicycle's mirror when I'm screaming
> > down Barry Drive next to the bus lane, but then I choose to look for
> > bikes.
>
> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.
>
> > I used to dream of a recoiless rifle as an appropriate response to
> > being horned at pointlessly close range. Nowdays it would be an RPG7.

The topic starts here
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/canb.general/browse_frm/thread/ca342046f964b3c5/df6c3226c2a32d53?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3&hl=en#df6c3226c2a32d53

by the way.

Marz
December 6th 06, 06:24 PM
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> Coach wrote:
> > "'Arf" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...

> > > You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> > > obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

> > We have cycle and taxi/bus lanes in Newport.
> > These are for the sole use of boy racers with fogs
> > no police intervention at all
>
> In urban areas of the US, we have the same situation, except substitute
> arrogant yuppies in SUV's and luxury cars or (in the hood) gangbangers
> in unlicensed vehicles. It is prudent to stay out of the way of the
> latter, as they often (illegally) possess semi-automatic firearms.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Looks like I'll be heading back to Texas for a couple more years and
it's tempting to pick a concealed gun license this time. Handy for the
trails down in Big Bend and rednecks around Houston :)

Bill
December 18th 06, 06:30 AM
Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message om>, 'Arf
> ') wrote:
>
>> tallbloke wrote:
>>> "'Arf" > wrote in
>>> news:1165350962.876836.235830@ 79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:
>>> Being a car driver, motorcyclist and cyclist I don't have a problem
>>> sharing the highway with other road users, whereas you obviously do.
>>> So who's being the selfish 2@ here?
>> When I'm on the road, I use it with consideration for its other users.
>>
>> Cyclists show no such consideration:
>
> There are bad cyclists, granted. But there are not nearly as many bad
> cyclists as bad drivers; and most cyclists are not bad cyclists. I wish
> the same were true of drivers.

Laddies,
Please, I drive both a small car and a huge 1966 Muscle car (when I can
afford the gas) but prefer the bike for freedom and health. I pay my
road taxes and like the bike better, except when I have to make a real
business trip or get out my beast and show up a Chevy with my Mopar.
Unless it's really, really cold *AND* raining it's the bike for me.
I really don't mind giving a bike the right of way since it is only a
matter of gas pedal or brake pedal in the car, no sweat either way,
maybe just a minor mileage hit, big deal.
Bill Baka

Don Whybrow
December 18th 06, 08:18 AM
Bill wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>
>> There are bad cyclists, granted. But there are not nearly as many bad
>> cyclists as bad drivers; and most cyclists are not bad cyclists. I wish
>> the same were true of drivers.
>>
> Laddies,

Son,

> Please, I drive both a small car and a huge 1966 Muscle car (when I can
> afford the gas) but prefer the bike for freedom and health. I pay my
> road taxes and like the bike better, except when I have to make a real
> business trip or get out my beast and show up a Chevy with my Mopar.
> Unless it's really, really cold *AND* raining it's the bike for me.
> I really don't mind giving a bike the right of way since it is only a
> matter of gas pedal or brake pedal in the car, no sweat either way,
> maybe just a minor mileage hit, big deal.

So, you are both a cyclist and a motorist, when you are a motorist you
are considerate to cyclists. An attitude that is common amongst those
that ride bikes on the road and drive. However it does not hold true for
those that do not cycle.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"This is all very interesting, and I daresay you already see me frothing
at the mouth in a fit; but no, I am not; I am just winking happy
thoughts into a little tiddle cup." (Nabokov, Lolita)

Bill
December 19th 06, 01:15 AM
Don Whybrow wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>>
>>> There are bad cyclists, granted. But there are not nearly as many bad
>>> cyclists as bad drivers; and most cyclists are not bad cyclists. I wish
>>> the same were true of drivers.
>>>
>> Laddies,
>
> Son,
>
>> Please, I drive both a small car and a huge 1966 Muscle car (when I
>> can afford the gas) but prefer the bike for freedom and health. I pay
>> my road taxes and like the bike better, except when I have to make a
>> real business trip or get out my beast and show up a Chevy with my Mopar.
>> Unless it's really, really cold *AND* raining it's the bike for me.
>> I really don't mind giving a bike the right of way since it is only a
>> matter of gas pedal or brake pedal in the car, no sweat either way,
>> maybe just a minor mileage hit, big deal.
>
> So, you are both a cyclist and a motorist, when you are a motorist you
> are considerate to cyclists. An attitude that is common amongst those
> that ride bikes on the road and drive. However it does not hold true for
> those that do not cycle.

All too true, I'm afraid. Plenty of idiots with horns way bigger than
their brains around here. I try to be considerate both ways because I
never know for sure what I will be piloting.
Bill Baka

John Hearns
December 21st 06, 09:17 AM
'Arf wrote:

> You should use the bicycle paths instead of endangering yourself and
> obstructing the road with your slow-moving vehicle.

I regularly drive across central London.
From Docklands to the beginning of the M4 I have yet to achieve more
than twelve miles in one hour of driving.
Yep, that's right, bikes are FASTER. Now let's have you crying out for
cars to get out of the way.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home