PDA

View Full Version : How may miles have you ridden this year?

zeke
December 8th 06, 02:51 AM
How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

----------------------------
Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
View my training log:
http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Tom Keats
December 8th 06, 03:19 AM
In article . com>,
"zeke" > writes:

> How may miles have you ridden this year?

I dunno. I don't have a computer anymore.
I got rid of it. Okay, to be honest I
lost it a few years ago and happily didn't
bother to replace it.

I'm just shy of 10,000.

How much elevation gain did you get this year? :)
(I don't know how much I got, either.
Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe
make an effort to get some of that old stuff back.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

zeke
December 8th 06, 03:47 AM

> How much elevation gain did you get this year? :)
> (I don't know how much I got, either.
> Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
> Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe
> make an effort to get some of that old stuff back.

Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles)
are around 1800 feet of climbing.

----------------------------
Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
View my training log:
http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Grolch
December 8th 06, 03:57 AM
Your a friggin hero and seem to need validation from others to make it
meaningful. Seen your analyst lately?

"zeke" > wrote in message
ups.com...

>> How much elevation gain did you get this year? :)
>> (I don't know how much I got, either.
>> Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
>> Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe
>> make an effort to get some of that old stuff back.
>>

> Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
> myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
> climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles)
> are around 1800 feet of climbing.
>
> ----------------------------
> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> View my training log:
> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Ron Wallenfang
December 8th 06, 05:04 AM
There are usually threads addressing that issue in early January, that often
include other personal highlights and/or lowlights of the past year, new
year's bike resolutions and whatever. We'd hate to leave out the mega-miles
we're all accumulating in December, as it were!

"zeke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>
> ----------------------------
> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> View my training log:
> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Tom Keats
December 8th 06, 05:19 AM
In article <po5eh.32929$rv4.1776@edtnps90>,
"Grolch" > writes:
> Your a friggin hero and seem to need validation from others to make it
> meaningful. Seen your analyst lately?

So sorry that ya don't like it.

cheers,
Tom

> "zeke" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>

>>> How much elevation gain did you get this year? :)
>>> (I don't know how much I got, either.
>>> Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
>>> Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe
>>> make an effort to get some of that old stuff back.
>>>

>> Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
>> myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
>> climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles)
>> are around 1800 feet of climbing.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
>> View my training log:
>> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Mike A Schwab
December 8th 06, 09:34 AM
Well, if you want to compare miles, you could post them on
http://www.bikejournal.com . Most features are available with free
enrollment. Menu items in yellow require paid membership.

zeke wrote:
> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>
> ----------------------------
> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> View my training log:
> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Roger Zoul
December 8th 06, 12:06 PM
"zeke" > wrote in message

:: How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of
:: 10,000.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with comparing miles. You did real good. I just
wish I had time to ride that many miles!

Ken C. M.
December 8th 06, 12:11 PM
zeke wrote:
> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>
> ----------------------------
> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> View my training log:
> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Well rough estimate tells me somewhere about 3,000

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

catzz66
December 8th 06, 02:03 PM
2100, up from 1550 my first year. Don't have time to ride much more
than that, but am happy with the increase and will try to do better this
coming year.

nash
December 8th 06, 03:08 PM
">> Your a friggin hero and seem to need validation from others to make it
>> meaningful. Seen your analyst lately?
>
> So sorry that ya don't like it.
>

> cheers,
> Tom

>>> Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
>>> myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
>>> climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles)
>>> are around 1800 feet of climbing.
>>>
>>> ----------------------------
>>> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
>>> View my training log:
>>> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

You gotta wonder what kind of a yo yo puts his training log up for everyone
to oooohhhhh ahhhhh over

Roger Zoul
December 8th 06, 03:49 PM
"nash" > wrote in message

:: You gotta wonder what kind of a yo yo puts his training
:: log up for everyone to oooohhhhh ahhhhh over

I'd wonder more about anyone who'd take the time to do that....

Pat Lamb
December 8th 06, 03:49 PM
Ron Wallenfang wrote:
> There are usually threads addressing that issue in early January, that often
> include other personal highlights and/or lowlights of the past year, new
> year's bike resolutions and whatever. We'd hate to leave out the mega-miles
> we're all accumulating in December, as it were!

Durn straight! Although at the rate I'm going this month, I should have
posted last week. Concert blew last weekend, train ride torching this
next weekend. Boo hoo. Wouldn't give either of them up, nor the kids
coming home next week.

OTOH, set a new personal best mileage for the year today (as I have
every day for a few months!). And I've had fun riding this year. Even
if it isn't really time to sum up the year yet!

Pat

Matt O'Toole
December 8th 06, 03:53 PM
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 19:47:47 -0800, zeke wrote:

>> How much elevation gain did you get this year? :) (I don't know how
>> much I got, either. Except, not enough.) If I bothered to do New Year
>> Resolutions, I think I'd pick: hillclimbs. Maybe make an effort to get
>> some of that old stuff back.
>>

> Although I live in the foothills of North Carolina, I don't consider
> myself much of a climber so I try to stay away from the really big
> climbs. I think my short Monday through Thursday rides (~ 25 miles) are
> around 1800 feet of climbing.

Similar terrain for me, so probably similar climbing. The hill right
outside my home drops 700' to my preferred riding area, and there are
plenty of hills beyond that. Even the other way into town it drops at
least a couple hundred feet. Anywhere I go I have to climb to get home.

To answer the original question, probably 4-5000 miles. I'd be doing
twice that for sure if I didn't spend 2-3 months away each summer.
Getting back on the bike around here after that is murder. A flatland
vacation with bike on the way home sure helps get me moving again.

To those wondering how to get more miles in -- sell the car!

Matt O.

December 8th 06, 04:18 PM
Not much :-/

"catzz66" > wrote in message
> 2100, up from 1550 my first year. Don't have time to ride much more than
> that, but am happy with the increase and will try to do better this coming
> year.

Paul O
December 8th 06, 05:23 PM
Tom Keats wrote:
<snip>

> How much elevation gain did you get this year? :)
<snip>

Almost exactly the same amount that I lost ;-)
--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

Earl Bollinger
December 9th 06, 12:12 AM
"zeke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>
> ----------------------------
> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> View my training log:
> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

Hummm, that is a toughie, not counting other parts what does three rear
tires add up to?

Mark Hickey
December 9th 06, 01:15 AM
"Earl Bollinger" > wrote:

>"zeke" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
>> View my training log:
>> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo
>>

>Hummm, that is a toughie, not counting other parts what does three rear
>tires add up to?

Somewhere between 1 and 15,000 miles (probably). That's the range for
me over the last few years, too... ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Zoot Katz
December 9th 06, 01:30 AM
On 7 Dec 2006 18:51:15 -0800, "zeke" > wrote:

>How may miles have you ridden this year?

All of 'em except a maybe one the few times I walked the bike.
--
zk

mike vore
December 9th 06, 02:26 AM
zeke wrote:
> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.

Not that many, but it's hard to tell now - ask again when the year is over,
there are still over 20 days left to ride!

--
Mike Vore
http://www.OhMyWoodness.com

December 9th 06, 09:53 AM
Earl Bollinger wrote:
> "zeke" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
> >
> > ----------------------------
> > Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> > View my training log:
> > http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo
> >

> Hummm, that is a toughie, not counting other parts what does three rear
> tires add up to?

Depends. It's possible to get a load of miles on
a good tire if you wear it all the way down til the
tube pops through the casing and says howdy.
That is a definition of a good tire--one that can
be worn all the way to and through the casing while
still retaining its integrity otherwise. Some
brands (like Continental) never make it, their
sidewalls fail long before the tread is worn out.

How many licks does it take to get to the center
of a tootsie pop?

I doubt I will reach 9,000 road miles this year,
but I did about 1500 singletrack which is not bad.

Robert

Tom Keats
December 9th 06, 10:19 PM
In article <mdfeh.449447$5R2.795@pd7urf3no>,
"nash" > writes:

> You gotta wonder what kind of a yo yo puts his training log up for everyone
> to oooohhhhh ahhhhh over

I wish I had a camera. Then I could put up some photos
of the great riding around here. Maybe some folks would
go "oooh" & "ahhh" over them, but I'd prefer they'd say
stuff like: "hey, that reminds me of < such-'n-such> where
I ride," and contribute their own experiences. And then
other riders in far-flung exotic lands might follow suit,
and riders from all over the world could come together and
say "Hey -- I know exactly what you mean."

I especially gotta put up a picture of the polka-dot house
up on Lakewood & 4th. New Brighton Park is pretty photogenic,
too. Then there's that garden gate made out of gardening tools
just across from the Bean Around The World coffee shop at
Main & 20th (one of my favourite haunts.) And the vistas from
the Mountain View boneyard.

Some live-action vid of bombing along New Westminster's Front
Street between somewhat favourable traffic light phases, or
scorching down Mt Seymour Parkway, or wending one's way through
that ugly bike lane thingie on Wayburne Way that's strewn with
tree blow-downs might be pretty kewl, too.

I guess logs & journals are what we resort to when we
don't have cameras.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Of course, not many of those words are quantitative :-)

cheers
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Ivar Hesselager
December 10th 06, 07:35 PM
Den 08.12.2006 kl. 03:51 skrev zeke >:

> How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>
> ----------------------------
> Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> View my training log:
> http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

This year I didn't do any miles. Just kilometers. The LBS had offered
to convert my Flight Deck to miles for free. But at my age the miles
seem overwhelming long. If I was still in my fourties I would probably
be doing a lot of miles. But since I ride granny gears I have resolved, I
better stick to the kilometers for the rest of my cycling days.

Ivar

Ryan Cousineau
December 10th 06, 08:19 PM
In article >,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

> In article <mdfeh.449447$5R2.795@pd7urf3no>,
> "nash" > writes:
>
> > You gotta wonder what kind of a yo yo puts his training log up for everyone
> > to oooohhhhh ahhhhh over

> I especially gotta put up a picture of the polka-dot house
> up on Lakewood & 4th. New Brighton Park is pretty photogenic,
> too. Then there's that garden gate made out of gardening tools
> just across from the Bean Around The World coffee shop at
> Main & 20th (one of my favourite haunts.) And the vistas from
> the Mountain View boneyard.

Hey, do you know about the house somewhere near Avalon Dairy (or is it
Vancouver Cemetary) where the front yard is chock-full of lawn
tchotchkes? The overall effect is surprisingly harmonious, but it's a
lot of stuff for a front yard.

> Some live-action vid of bombing along New Westminster's Front
> Street between somewhat favourable traffic light phases, or
> scorching down Mt Seymour Parkway, or wending one's way through
> that ugly bike lane thingie on Wayburne Way that's strewn with
> tree blow-downs might be pretty kewl, too.

TK: I think you'll like what they've done with Columbia now. Major
bike/pedestrian centric makeover.

> I guess logs & journals are what we resort to when we
> don't have cameras.
>
> They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Tom Keats
December 10th 06, 08:51 PM
In article >,
Ryan Cousineau > writes:

>> Some live-action vid of bombing along New Westminster's Front
>> Street between somewhat favourable traffic light phases, or
>> scorching down Mt Seymour Parkway, or wending one's way through
>> that ugly bike lane thingie on Wayburne Way that's strewn with
>> tree blow-downs might be pretty kewl, too.
>
> TK: I think you'll like what they've done with Columbia now. Major
> bike/pedestrian centric makeover.

I noticed the bike lanes. What's with having both bicycle
and diamond stencils painted on them?

Some of the pedestrian traffic light pushbuttons are on
the wrong sides (the street sides) of the poles on which
they're mounted, and they're not very well aligned with
their respective crosswalks. So pedestrians have to reach
around the pole to push the button.

Oh well. I guess it helps keep New Westminster "quaint" :-)

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Zoot Katz
December 10th 06, 10:26 PM
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:51:18 -0800, (Tom
Keats) wrote:

>> TK: I think you'll like what they've done with Columbia now. Major
>> bike/pedestrian centric makeover.
>
>I noticed the bike lanes. What's with having both bicycle
>and diamond stencils painted on them?

The diamond indicates HOV lanes.

They're for cars, vans, trucks and motorcycles carrying two or more
persons. HOV on Hwy 99 means 3 or more persons.

They're also for bicycles and buses. There's usually a sign
explaining their use as there are sometimes restricted hours.
--
zk

Tom Keats
December 10th 06, 11:23 PM
In article >,
Zoot Katz > writes:
> On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 12:51:18 -0800, (Tom
> Keats) wrote:
>
>>> TK: I think you'll like what they've done with Columbia now. Major
>>> bike/pedestrian centric makeover.
>>
>>I noticed the bike lanes. What's with having both bicycle
>>and diamond stencils painted on them?
>
> The diamond indicates HOV lanes.

I assumed as much. But from my cursory glance at those
"bike lanes", they looked pretty narrow for 4[+] wheeled
vehicles, or anything wider than a Prius. I don't think
a MC+sidehack could fit in there. But maybe my recollection
or perception is faulty.

> They're for cars, vans, trucks and motorcycles carrying two or more
> persons. HOV on Hwy 99 means 3 or more persons.
>
> They're also for bicycles and buses. There's usually a sign
> explaining their use as there are sometimes restricted hours.

At least, as I recall, there were no parking lanes adjacent
to them (unlike Homer St.)

Bike-laning Columbia St is all very well , but I'd like to
see along Stewardson Way made more accomodating for bikes.
That's where the best grades are, westbound from New West.

I do like those antique-looking post-&-ring hitching posts.
Except locking two bikes on one post might be problematic.
Especially if the post is too close to the curb.

cheers,
Tom

Actually I don't think it was all that necessary.
Columbia St is pretty tame, fraught as it is with so
many traffic lights. OTOH I guess it's nice to not
be stuck behind a big truck blocking your view.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
I'm really at: tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Zoot Katz
December 11th 06, 12:06 AM
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:23:36 -0800,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

>>>I noticed the bike lanes. What's with having both bicycle
>>>and diamond stencils painted on them?
>>
>> The diamond indicates HOV lanes.
>
>I assumed as much. But from my cursory glance at those
>"bike lanes", they looked pretty narrow for 4[+] wheeled
>vehicles, or anything wider than a Prius. I don't think
>a MC+sidehack could fit in there. But maybe my recollection
>or perception is faulty.

I'm not familiar with the location. Perhaps the diamonds are leftover
from before it was painted to be a bike lane?
--
zk

Ryan Cousineau
December 11th 06, 06:07 AM
In article >,
Zoot Katz > wrote:

> >> The diamond indicates HOV lanes.
> >
> >I assumed as much. But from my cursory glance at those
> >"bike lanes", they looked pretty narrow for 4[+] wheeled
> >vehicles, or anything wider than a Prius. I don't think
> >a MC+sidehack could fit in there. But maybe my recollection
> >or perception is faulty.
>
> I'm not familiar with the location. Perhaps the diamonds are leftover
> from before it was painted to be a bike lane?

No. The diamonds are new; there was no HOV system on the road before.

The road was narrowed to one lane each way plus the bike lanes, which
are adequate for bikes. The major change was going from parallel to
angle-out (!) parking, in which cars have to back into the angled
stalls. An interesting choice, which has been made with a claim of
greater safety (which I find reasonable).

So this has a lot to do with increasing parking while simultaneously
calming the road and making it more ped-friendly, which suits its
current incarnation as a retail district.

dgk
December 11th 06, 01:44 PM
On 7 Dec 2006 18:51:15 -0800, "zeke" > wrote:

>How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>
>----------------------------
>Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
>View my training log:
>http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo

I think around 3500.

December 11th 06, 05:36 PM
dgk wrote:
> On 7 Dec 2006 18:51:15 -0800, "zeke" > wrote:
>
> >How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
> >
> >----------------------------
> >Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
> >View my training log:
> >http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo
>
> I think around 3500.

If this thread is still going in January '07 I'll chime in then.....
pH

dgk
December 11th 06, 08:32 PM
On 11 Dec 2006 09:36:22 -0800, wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On 7 Dec 2006 18:51:15 -0800, "zeke" > wrote:
>>
>> >How may miles have you ridden this year? I'm just shy of 10,000.
>> >
>> >----------------------------
>> >Bike: Trek 5500 Project One
>> >View my training log:
>> >http://dltsoftware.com/efitness/login?userID=demo&password=demo
>>
>> I think around 3500.
>

>If this thread is still going in January '07 I'll chime in then.....
>pH

Oh, I thought the year ran from 12/9/2005 to 12/9/2006. I can pretty
much guess what I'll do between now and new years. Usually between 75
and 90 per week.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home