PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Armstrong moment

mrsixtypercent
December 12th 06, 10:23 AM
Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q

Davey Crockett
December 12th 06, 11:09 AM
"mrsixtypercent" > writes:

> Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q

Nice footage

Somewhat improved on account of when the Opera browser loaded it up it
was playing Playa Giron as well in another tab ;)

Nice sound effects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMRldcrjzq0

--
Le vent ŕ Dos
Davey Crockett [No 4Q to reply]

Ewoud Dronkert
December 12th 06, 11:34 AM
On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
> Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q

Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.

--
E. Dronkert

December 12th 06, 03:05 PM
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
> > Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q
>
> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.

Youngest to win a stage in the Tour?

That was a strange race. Oslo apparently
waxed their streets.

benjo maso
December 12th 06, 03:42 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>> On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
>> > Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q
>>
>> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
>> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.
>

> Youngest to win a stage in the Tour?

That's what he said (and perhaps still saying). But I know al least ten
riders who were younger (there are probably much more). One of them is René
Vietto who already had won 6 stages at the age Armstrong won his first one.

Benjo

Mark Fennell
December 12th 06, 03:46 PM
mrsixtypercent wrote:

> Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q

Damn! I wish I had put that clip in my Armstrong movie:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-5j20rgQcvk

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

December 12th 06, 05:46 PM
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
> > Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q
>
> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him?

Because he followed the UCI jersey rules at the time (pre 1999):

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.racing/msg/86bb629ef501a848

> And you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.

Well, they should take away that Youngest World Champ Jersey
then. (I guess that's the one that comes with a bib?)

Ben

Bob Schwartz
December 12th 06, 07:46 PM
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
>> Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q
>
> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.

Yeah, but everybody knows that.

Bob Schwartz

Ewoud Dronkert
December 12th 06, 08:09 PM
wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him?
>
> Because he followed the UCI jersey rules at the time (pre 1999):

Damn. Well OK. But it doesn't feel good.

>> And you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.
>
> Well, they should take away that Youngest World Champ Jersey
> then. (I guess that's the one that comes with a bib?)

I had a correspondence with Pez (see "Pelo-Pics" section).

E.

John Forrest Tomlinson
December 12th 06, 11:56 PM
On 12 Dec 2006 07:05:42 -0800, wrote:

>Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>> On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
>> > Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q
>>
>> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
>> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.
>

>Youngest to win a stage in the Tour?
>
>That was a strange race. Oslo apparently
>waxed their streets.

Yeah, it was bizarre. I had it on tape, and typically re-watch stuff
like that a bunch of times, but the odd falls were freaking me out so
I didn't.

--
JT
****************************

December 13th 06, 12:33 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> Yeah, it was bizarre. I had it on tape, and typically re-watch stuff
> like that a bunch of times, but the odd falls were freaking me out so
> I didn't.

There was an otherworldly quality, sort of slow
motion. Didn't Armstrong himself fall at least
a few times?

He may have been the youngest to crash twice
and still win the world championship.

Robert

John Forrest Tomlinson
December 13th 06, 01:17 AM
On 12 Dec 2006 16:33:34 -0800, wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it was bizarre. I had it on tape, and typically re-watch stuff
>> like that a bunch of times, but the odd falls were freaking me out so
>> I didn't.
>
>There was an otherworldly quality, sort of slow
>motion. Didn't Armstrong himself fall at least
>a few times?
>
>He may have been the youngest to crash twice
>and still win the world championship.

I think he fell a couple of times. At one point early in the race
either he or Riis fall in a corner and pop right back up onto the
bike.
--
JT
****************************

SLAVE of THE STATE
December 13th 06, 02:05 AM
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2006 02:23:47 -0800, mrsixtypercent wrote:
> > Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q
>
> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.

This must be a Brian L *Favourite Armstrong moment*. How much did the
flying pig weigh? Can you tell from the video?

Howard Kveck
December 13th 06, 06:19 AM
In article >,
John Forrest Tomlinson > wrote:

> On 12 Dec 2006 07:05:42 -0800, wrote:
>
> >Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> >>
> >> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
> >> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.
> >

> >Youngest to win a stage in the Tour?
> >
> >That was a strange race. Oslo apparently
> >waxed their streets.
>
> Yeah, it was bizarre. I had it on tape, and typically re-watch stuff
> like that a bunch of times, but the odd falls were freaking me out so
> I didn't.

You mean where people were falling off while trying to ride in a straight line?
Those were pretty ugly conditions. I remember Armstrong crashed at least once, maybe
more.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Donald Munro
December 13th 06, 08:33 AM
SLAVE of THE STATE wrote:
> This must be a Brian L *Favourite Armstrong moment*. How much did the
> flying pig weigh? Can you tell from the video?

Flying pig ? I thought it was a dyeing illusion.

Stu Fleming
December 14th 06, 07:24 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 12 Dec 2006 07:05:42 -0800, wrote:
>
>> Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
>>> Is he wearing a world champ's jersey?! Why did nobody stop him? And
>>> you know, he wasn't the youngest world champ either.
>>
>> Youngest to win a stage in the Tour?
>>
>> That was a strange race. Oslo apparently
>> waxed their streets.
>
> Yeah, it was bizarre. I had it on tape, and typically re-watch stuff
> like that a bunch of times, but the odd falls were freaking me out so
> I didn't.

They resurfaced the roads the week before and the surfacing compound
they used had a bad interaction with the heavy rain on the day of the
men's race.

ilan
December 14th 06, 11:15 PM
Yes, I remember that. I also remember that it was in the 16th
kilometer, so I suppose
less than 20 minutes into it. Afterwards, Armstrong said that he had no
clue how anyone
could ever ride a time trial so fast. Interestingly, Indurain and
Armstrong were possibly
the same weight at the time, so he lost around 10kg to get Indurain's
aerobic output
(slightly less because he is smaller, but not too much for these flat
roads).
It would seem impossible if it weren't true.

-ilan

mrsixtypercent wrote:
> Favourite Armstrong moment - the world champ. You gota luv it.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPx5I538X6Q

benjo maso
December 15th 06, 12:03 PM
"ilan" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Yes, I remember that. I also remember that it was in the 16th
> kilometer, so I suppose
> less than 20 minutes into it. Afterwards, Armstrong said that he had no
> clue how anyone
> could ever ride a time trial so fast. Interestingly, Indurain and
> Armstrong were possibly
> the same weight at the time, so he lost around 10kg to get Indurain's
> aerobic output
> (slightly less because he is smaller, but not too much for these flat
> roads).
> It would seem impossible if it weren't true.

Riders are lying as much about their weight than supermodels, so one has to
be cautious about the "official" figures. Induráin clamed to be 79-80 kg,
but according to one of his gregario's it was usually one or two kg more.
Armstrong claimed to weigh 72 kg, but according to dr. Ferrari his ideal
Tour weight was 74. Armstrong also claimed to have weighted 82 kg before his
illness (to explain his fabulous improvement as a climber), but according
Hennie Kuiper, his team manager, it was about 77 kg.

Benjo

December 15th 06, 02:39 PM
benjo maso wrote:
> Riders are lying as much about their weight than supermodels, so one has to
> be cautious about the "official" figures. Induráin clamed to be 79-80 kg,
> but according to one of his gregario's it was usually one or two kg more.
> Armstrong claimed to weigh 72 kg, but according to dr. Ferrari his ideal
> Tour weight was 74. Armstrong also claimed to have weighted 82 kg before his
> illness (to explain his fabulous improvement as a climber), but according
> Hennie Kuiper, his team manager, it was about 77 kg.

There is FWIW some local agreement (rumor, scuttlebutt, maybe even
someone once saw LA step on a scale-- who knows?) from the early days
for the 82 (~180lbs) figure, which, also FWIW, I never had any problem
believing as I'm about the same height as Lance and that was what I
weighed in trim, non-TdF emaciated, masters (Vet, please!) non-fattie
racing weight back then, also.

As a parking lot crit racer, that was the thing about Indurain and
Armstrong I found most impressive-- the ability to get skinny and stay
strong. Professional help doing it included, still a pretty good trick,
and something I and any number of bike racers of all levels have
struggled with.

That said, the important number is "7". --D-y

benjo maso
December 15th 06, 11:17 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...

benjo maso wrote:
>> Riders are lying as much about their weight than supermodels, so one has
>> be cautious about the "official" figures. Induráin clamed to be 79-80 kg,
>> but according to one of his gregario's it was usually one or two kg more.
>> Armstrong claimed to weigh 72 kg, but according to dr. Ferrari his ideal
>> Tour weight was 74. Armstrong also claimed to have weighted 82 kg before
>> his
>> illness (to explain his fabulous improvement as a climber), but according
>> Hennie Kuiper, his team manager, it was about 77 kg.

>There is FWIW some local agreement (rumor, scuttlebutt, maybe even
>someone once saw LA step on a scale-- who knows?) from the early days
>for the 82 (~180lbs) figure, which, also FWIW, I never had any problem
>believing as I'm about the same height as Lance and that was what I
>weighed in trim, non-TdF emaciated, masters (Vet, please!) non-fattie
>racing weight back then, also.

Kuiper said that at the beginning of the season Armstrong might have been 82
kg or even a little more, but not when the Tour started.

>As a parking lot crit racer, that was the thing about Indurain and
>Armstrong I found most impressive-- the ability to get skinny and stay
>strong. Professional help doing it included, still a pretty good trick,
>and something I and any number of bike racers of all levels have
>struggled with.

True. For instance, Fransesco Moser was always a bit too heavy for the Alps
or the Dolomites, but when he managed to lose a few pounds, he immediately
lost a lot of power as well.

>That said, the important number is "7".

Exactly.

Benjo

ilan
December 17th 06, 04:30 PM
benjo maso wrote:
> Armstrong claimed to weigh 72 kg, but according to dr. Ferrari his ideal
> Tour weight was 74.

Well, I recall a TdF site trombinoscope in which Armstrong states in
the
video that his weight is 74kg. I remember that because that was my
weight at
the time (it follows that it must have been 2003).

-ilan

ilan
December 17th 06, 04:33 PM
benjo maso wrote:

> True. For instance, Fransesco Moser was always a bit too heavy for the Alps
> or the Dolomites, but when he managed to lose a few pounds, he immediately
> lost a lot of power as well.

I think Olano also made a big effort to lose weight, and managed to
reduce by
a similar amount as Armstrong for the 1999 TdF, but did not improve his
climbing
at all. Actually, I find it hard to give another example of a
professional rider who
lost a lot of weight and became a good climber (I am talking about
reducing
race weight, not Ullrich-like loss of off season weight).

-ilan

December 17th 06, 07:54 PM
ilan wrote:

> I think Olano also made a big effort to lose weight, and managed to
> reduce by
> a similar amount as Armstrong for the 1999 TdF, but did not improve his
> climbing
> at all. Actually, I find it hard to give another example of a
> professional rider who
> lost a lot of weight and became a good climber (I am talking about
> reducing
> race weight, not Ullrich-like loss of off season weight).

Jalabert?

John Forrest Tomlinson
December 17th 06, 08:21 PM
On 17 Dec 2006 11:54:11 -0800, wrote:

>ilan wrote:
>
>> I think Olano also made a big effort to lose weight, and managed to
>> reduce by
>> a similar amount as Armstrong for the 1999 TdF, but did not improve his
>> climbing
>> at all. Actually, I find it hard to give another example of a
>> professional rider who
>> lost a lot of weight and became a good climber (I am talking about
>> reducing
>> race weight, not Ullrich-like loss of off season weight).
>
>Jalabert?

No.

--
JT
****************************

Alexander Lackner
December 17th 06, 09:25 PM
"ilan" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ps.com...

> benjo maso wrote:
>>
>> True. For instance, Fransesco Moser was always a bit too heavy for the
>> Alps
>> or the Dolomites, but when he managed to lose a few pounds, he
>> immediately
>> lost a lot of power as well.
>
> I think Olano also made a big effort to lose weight, and managed to
> reduce by
> a similar amount as Armstrong for the 1999 TdF, but did not improve his
> climbing
> at all. Actually, I find it hard to give another example of a
> professional rider who
> lost a lot of weight and became a good climber (I am talking about
> reducing
> race weight, not Ullrich-like loss of off season weight).

>> True. For instance, Fransesco Moser was always a bit too heavy for the
>> Alps
>> or the Dolomites, but when he managed to lose a few pounds, he
>> immediately
>> lost a lot of power as well.
>
> I think Olano also made a big effort to lose weight, and managed to
> reduce by
> a similar amount as Armstrong for the 1999 TdF, but did not improve his
> climbing
> at all. Actually, I find it hard to give another example of a
> professional rider who
> lost a lot of weight and became a good climber (I am talking about
> reducing
> race weight, not Ullrich-like loss of off season weight).
>
> -ilan

Serhij Hontchar... Gontchar... whatever.
At his climbing best, he definitely lost TT power. He seems to have reverted
to a regime favoring the latter (witness his results this season), having
realized that it's not enough to stay with the best in the high mountains if
you can't crush them against the clock (as Indurain did). But he definitely
dedicated 1 or 2 seasons to attempting to become a climber.

benjo maso
December 18th 06, 11:27 PM
"ilan" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> benjo maso wrote:
>> Armstrong claimed to weigh 72 kg, but according to dr. Ferrari his ideal
>> Tour weight was 74.
>
> Well, I recall a TdF site trombinoscope in which Armstrong states in
> the
> video that his weight is 74kg. I remember that because that was my
> weight at
> the time (it follows that it must have been 2003).

OK, but was he talking about his ideal Tour weight? His own site or the site
of US Postal (or both) reported a weight was 72 kg. I can still be found on
numerous sites.

Benjo

ilan
December 19th 06, 01:03 AM
I assume that he was referring to his weight at the pre-race medical
control. That
weight might be higher than usual, because the riders may have eaten,
assuming
that weight is usually given upon waking without eating or drinking.
For example,
the 2005 official site lists Armstrong as 75kg:
http://www.letour.fr/2005/TDF/LIVE/fr/2100/coureurs.html
and it would make sense that this corresponded to the data of the
medical
check-up.

-ilan

benjo maso wrote:
> "ilan" > wrote in message
>
> OK, but was he talking about his ideal Tour weight? His own site or the site
> of US Postal (or both) reported a weight was 72 kg. I can still be found on
> numerous sites.
>
> Benjo

Dan Connelly
December 19th 06, 02:23 AM
ilan wrote:
> I assume that he was referring to his weight at the pre-race medical
> control. That
> weight might be higher than usual, because the riders may have eaten,
> assuming
> that weight is usually given upon waking without eating or drinking.
> For example,
> the 2005 official site lists Armstrong as 75kg:
> http://www.letour.fr/2005/TDF/LIVE/fr/2100/coureurs.html
> and it would make sense that this corresponded to the data of the
> medical
> check-up.

Armstrong:
Taille : 1.77 m
Poids : 75 kg
BMI: 23.9

Landis:
Taille : 1.78 m
Poids : 68 kg
BMI: 21.5

Armstrong's seems quite high. Sure it isn't off-season, reported by team?

Dan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home