PDA

View Full Version : registration VS confiscation

zen cycle
December 13th 06, 04:50 PM
Just looking comments on an incident that ocurred recently.

I was thinking about registering for a cyclocross race on Bikereg
recently, but decided against it due to timing of other obligations.
I noticed that the promoter was selling pint glasses, so I bought one -
through bike reg. I thought it peculiar that there were no other
mechanisms for shipping information, but since one must register at
bike reg with an address, I assumed that would be how it was handled.
Now I realize I used the dreaded 'assume', but hey, it was only $7, so
I wasn't real worried about it.
Over a month later, I realized, 'hey, I never got that pint glass'. So
I checked my credit card statement- sure enough, the charge was there.
So I emailed the promoter:

"To Whom It May Concern,
I purchased a Pint Glass from [your] Cyclocross race. The charge showed
up on my credit card, but I have not received the pint glass.
Please contact me with any information you may have reagarding this."

The reply I got from the promoter was unapologetic and cold.

" I did not promis to ship any glasses. I do have one or two left will
you be attending the Cross Nationals next weekend."
(spelling and grammer left intact from original message)

My replay was rather terse and ascerbic.

"So now I've paid for something, and you claim only to have one or two
left. Does this mean you gave mine away? I hate to tell you this, but
if we were talking about a more substantial amount of money, this
would constitute fraud.
Now you're telling me I have to make arrangements to meet you 90 miles

from my house in order to pick up a $7 item? Right, you'll be
wandering around the course all day and I have to hunt you down in a
sea of a few thousand other people."

Note that there was no diclaimer on bike reg stating that one had to go
to the race to get the glass.
Other than asking me to meet him at the race, he has made absolutely no
attempt to send me the glass, and until I sent the original message, he
made absolutely no attempt to contact me, yet evidently was more than
willing to keep the money. I need to state that this is not about a
measly $7 or a pint glass, it's about acting in good faith, doing the
right thing. The promoter/seller has since suggested that if I were to
post my feelings on the subject publicly, I would encounter a flood of
negative feedback. So I put to you, the vast brain trust in this forum.
Was i wrong to assume that I should have been shipped the glass? Was
the promoter remiss in making no attempts to complete the transaction
without my prompting him? What would your reaction be in the same
situation?

I shall post no further on this subject, and simply read your responses.

December 13th 06, 06:04 PM
I'd say you're both to blame. You can never assume anything, HOWEVER,
the way reg is set up at bikereg, you don't really have an option to
add a lot of info to your reg. Also, the promoter should not have
assumed you would merely show up for a pint glass and should have had
the foresight to offer shipping or fix the oversight. IMO, sounds like
the promoter doesn't give a ****, though, and I'd just ask for my money
back. As a promoter, if someone doesn't pick up there prize money I
keep it, but if they contact me, I'll send it because that's me. Some
promoters won't.

If that fails, I'd contact Steve at Bikereg. He's a reasonable guy and
might be willing to help.

Good luck,
CH

Michael Press
December 13th 06, 08:23 PM
In article
om>,
"zen cycle" > wrote:

Easiest to call the credit card company. Most likely
they will credit your account and take recovery upon
themselves.

--
Michael Press

December 13th 06, 09:03 PM
if I was the promoter, I would never envision someone ordering a race
souvenir via Bikereg without planning to come to the race. It's
Bikereg not eBay. That there was no shipping charge should have been a
clue.

Also doesn't seem unreasonable to ask if you were coming to a race
where he would be. If you're a local racer ... then it seems a decent
shot you'd be there.

And then if you said, no, sorry I won't be there ... I'd see if we
could find a race where we'd both be. And if that didn't work I would
offer to send you a check. But after getting a nasty (IMHO) response
.... I'd tell you it's here if you want to drive to get it.

catzz66
December 13th 06, 10:02 PM
I would not have ordered it if it was not clear how and about when I was
supposed to get it. The promoter should have been more clear though,
that it was like a race packet that you had to either pick up yourself
or arrange for someone else to do it for you.

Bill C
December 14th 06, 01:24 AM
On Dec 13, 1:04 pm, "
> wrote:
> I'd say you're both to blame. You can never assume anything, HOWEVER,
> the way reg is set up at bikereg, you don't really have an option to
> add a lot of info to your reg. Also, the promoter should not have
> assumed you would merely show up for a pint glass and should have had
> the foresight to offer shipping or fix the oversight. IMO, sounds like
> the promoter doesn't give a ****, though, and I'd just ask for my money
> back. As a promoter, if someone doesn't pick up there prize money I
> keep it, but if they contact me, I'll send it because that's me. Some
> promoters won't.
>
> If that fails, I'd contact Steve at Bikereg. He's a reasonable guy and
> might be willing to help.
>
> Good luck,
> CH
I'm with you Chris, I don't know anyone who tries harder to make
things easier for, and tries to support racers more than Steve. I'm
totally partisan here because Steve's a good friend but he works his
ass off to make things right.
Bill C

Mike Jacoubowsky
December 14th 06, 07:05 AM
> I was thinking about registering for a cyclocross race on Bikereg
> recently, but decided against it due to timing of other obligations.
> I noticed that the promoter was selling pint glasses, so I bought one -
> through bike reg. I thought it peculiar that there were no other
> mechanisms for shipping information, but since one must register at
> bike reg with an address, I assumed that would be how it was handled.
> Now I realize I used the dreaded 'assume', but hey, it was only $7, so
> I wasn't real worried about it.

Not sure why you assumed they'd ship it to you; this sounds no different to
me than signing up for an organized ride (a Century) where you can order
jerseys ahead of time and pick them up there. And there's always a table set
up where people are doing exactly that. And no mention on the entry forms
I've seen of anything regarding shipping them; it's assume they're going to
be picked up at the event. I doubt anyone who can't make it to the event
complains that they shouldn't be charged something to ship the jersey to
them.

The main difference is that the pint glass is so inexpensive that it hardly
seems worthwhile to pay to have it shipped. Something ironic about that. A
more-expensive item and things might have been handled differently.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

December 14th 06, 02:46 PM
Jay,

What the heck is wrong with you?? Have you ever promoted at race or
helped build the sport we all love to partake in? You admit you are a
dysfunctional group of "meatheads,
narcissists, posers, and assholes" and yet you attack and insult one of
the promoters of the the biggest best cross races in New England
(http://www.bikereg.com/Results/2006/10/29-Canton-Cup.asp) and the head
of a club that is responsible for hosting 2 MAJOR (growing to three in
2007-maybe if you didn't wreck it) USA cycling events a year as well as
countless training rides and organized events.

Some people wonder why cycling has not grown in the USA to the level
that is attained in other parts of the world, I would suggest that it
is due to a-holes (your own words) like you. Leave your attitude and
money grubbing inflammatory personality outside of the cycling world.
Todd offered to get you glass to a team mate and then to ship the it to
you and all you wanted to do was elevate and insult, all over $7. If
you re-read the emails you were first to elevate it to more then a
misunderstanding(I have appended original emails below). What is wrong
with you? Go promote a race or two and realize how much effort time
and money it takes and how little the financial reward is and then see
if you want to bitch moan and groan about a simple misunderstanding.

As to the very specific details of this transaction. After racing for
20+ years and using Bikereg since it started I have NEVER thought that
it was a "retail merchandise" web site. Nor have I ever seen people
use it as such. Additionally, I have purchased race merchandise with
my registration and I (and everyone else that does this) knows to pick
it up at the event. So how you thought it appropriate to flame, insult
and discourage Todd is far beyond my comprehension. As for your
comments that it is fraud - I disagree as the standard/norm for event
merchandise has always been to pick it up at the event. Just because
you assumed something (and forgot, I guess, since you didn't realize it
till you got your CC statement - maybe you were planning on attending
then didn't??) that was contrary to the accepted norm, you pick up
event merchandise at the event, does not make it fraud. It does
however show that you are unreasonable.

For disclosure I am on NAV and have read all the emails between the two
of you (appended below) and what started as a simple misunderstanding
has turned truly ugly, at your hands/insistence, and you should be
ashamed of your actions/emails. You may well have just eliminated one
of the best cross races in NE. All over a $7 and an assumption on your
behalf that was wrong.

Personally I would like to see you not partake in any cycling events in
the future as you have proved that you have no respect for the amount
of volunteer effort that gets given by race promoters and staff.
Please go away. I think I will put $7 in the mail to you personally so
that you can just stop destroying the sport I love.

Jeff Kellogg

December 14th 06, 02:54 PM
There is also a discussion on
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/necyclocross/messages

New England Cyclocross

[...]

Please go away. I have put $7 in the mail to you personally so that
you can just stop destroying the sport I love.

Jeff Kellogg

"R. Todd Crisafulli" > wrote:
Jay,

You have single handedly discouraged me from putting on bike races, I
will
probably just not bother with the Canton Cup next year.

You obviously have no idea how much work goes into putting on a quality
event and I am glad I do not belong to your club.

I am posting this email trail to the necyclocross list. Maybe it will
spark
some entertaining discussion over the winter.

I owe you 7 dollars or a pint glass.

Happy Holidays,

Todd