PDA

View Full Version : Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand...

David L
July 7th 03, 08:07 PM
"Chris Hughes" > wrote in message
> Simple solution get a quick release for you seat post clamp and a cheap
> takeoff seatpost, many bike shops have a box full of these. Use the cheap
> seatpost when you clamp into the stand.

Second-ed, this is the only way to go without damaging your stuff.

Dave

> Chris
> "Spider" > wrote in message
> om...
> > OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> > workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
> >
> > I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> > avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> > it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> > my seatpost?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Spider

Spider
July 7th 03, 09:16 PM
OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)

I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
my seatpost?

TIA,

Spider

Bob M
July 7th 03, 09:21 PM
On 7 Jul 2003 13:16:04 -0700, Spider > wrote:

> OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
> I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> my seatpost?
>
> TIA,
>
> Spider

I don't know -- I own two aluminum bikes (one racing, one mountain) and
I've always clamped them in the workstand. I'd rather clamp an aluminum
tube than a carbon fiber seatpost.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Chris Hughes
July 7th 03, 09:26 PM
"Spider" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
> I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> my seatpost?
>
> TIA,
>
> Spider

Sorni
July 8th 03, 02:03 AM
Spider" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
> I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> my seatpost?

I wrap a shop rag around my seatposts (regardless of type) before clamping
in stand. I also let the saddle and front wheel take most of the bike's
weight, as usually I only need the rear wheel/drivetrain elevated to work on
stuff.

Bill "still, if the post ain't strong enough for a workstand, DON'T RIDE IT"
S.

Shaun Rimmer
July 8th 03, 12:34 PM
Spider > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
> I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> my seatpost?
>
> TIA,
>
> Spider

What's wrong with clamping around the top of the _seat tube_ with post fully
inserted? That should be plenty tough enough, surely?

Shaun aRe

Bruce
July 8th 03, 03:51 PM
"Spider" > wrote in message
om...
> OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
> I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> my seatpost?
>
> TIA,
>
> Spider
You should have no problem clamping the carbon seatpost in your stand. Just
make sure that the jaws of the clamp don't have any pieces of dirt, metal,
etc. stuck in them.

The relatively soft jaws and large clamping area don't pose a problem for a
carbon seatpost. The force applied to the post by the seat tube clamp on
your bike is far greater than a workstand bike clamp. I used to clamp my
carbon post all the time.

Having said all of that.....I don't like carbon posts. I've never seen one
break, but I also never want to see that.

Alex Rodriguez
July 8th 03, 07:34 PM
In article >,
says...

>OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
>workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
>I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
>avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
>it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
>my seatpost?

Sells a device for just such occassions. It screws into your frame's
seat tube and has a piece of tube you clamp onto.
-----------------
Alex __O
_-\<,_
(_)/ (_)

ant
July 9th 03, 02:21 AM
(Spider) wrote in message >...
> OK, I know I'm not supposed to clamp the aluminum frame into the
> workstand (due to the possibility of crushing damage, I imagine.)
>
> I'm supposed to clamp onto the seatpost. Great! Problem solved (or
> avoided, at least.) But wait - I have a carbon fiber seat post. Is
> it OK to clamp onto that? What are the dangers to me, my bike and/or
> my seatpost?

out of curiosity, how universal is this no-clamping-carbon rule?

i see a lot of OEM carbon seatposts these days, slapped onto Al bikes.
i clamp them left and right, and dont feel the least bit worried. they
are quite beefy, and carbon is not a weak material.

does this rule apply only to lightweight seatposts? i dont think these
OEM versions are stupid light at all.

anyways, i do wrap a rag around them to prevent marring them from any
errant dirt, and i am always careful to adjust the clamp to a good
pressure.

cheers,

anthony

Shaun Rimmer
July 9th 03, 09:49 AM
Mark Hickey > wrote in message
> "Shaun Rimmer" > wrote:
>
> >What's wrong with clamping around the top of the _seat tube_ with post
fully
> >inserted? That should be plenty tough enough, surely?
>
> Some frames (like mine for example) have inserts in the top of the
> seat tube. The seat post will only make contact with the frame for
> the length of these inserts - and they're not all that long (don't
> have to be).

Heh - that's why I specifically enquired: 'What's wrong with clamping
around the top of....' ',;~}~

> Habaneros have 7cm inserts - long enough to beef up the
> top tube/seat tube/seat stay junction, and more than long enough to
> handle the seat post.
>
> Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY
> workstand. As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're
> "not fragile".

Spammer! ',;~P~

I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned about clamping my (alu) frame by
any part of it either - it's certainly tough.

Shaun aRe

David L. Johnson
July 9th 03, 03:19 PM
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:01:36 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:

> Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY workstand.
> As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're "not fragile".

Well, that is a relief... I gotta say, unless the workstand has hydrolic
assist for the clamp, it doesn't exert that much pressure if adjusted
anywhere nearly correctly.

Would you want to ride a bike that was so fragile that your workstand
could crush it?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Mark Hickey
July 10th 03, 01:56 AM
"David L. Johnson" > wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:01:36 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:
>
>> Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY workstand.
>> As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're "not fragile".
>
>Well, that is a relief... I gotta say, unless the workstand has hydrolic
>assist for the clamp, it doesn't exert that much pressure if adjusted
>anywhere nearly correctly.
>
>Would you want to ride a bike that was so fragile that your workstand
>could crush it?

Nope. Bikes that are ridden around here (South Mountain park in the
Phoenix Arizona area) get beat up a LOT under "normal conditions". A
good friend of mine recently got a second bike (a high-zoot steel IF
hard tail) that lasted about two months before the down tube was caved
in - back on his several-year-old <manufacturer deleted, Shaun>
straight gauge ti bike again...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Shaun Rimmer
July 10th 03, 10:36 AM
Mark Hickey > wrote in message
> "David L. Johnson" > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:01:36 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:
> >
> >> Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY
workstand.
> >> As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're "not fragile".
> >
> >Well, that is a relief... I gotta say, unless the workstand has hydrolic
> >assist for the clamp, it doesn't exert that much pressure if adjusted
> >anywhere nearly correctly.
> >
> >Would you want to ride a bike that was so fragile that your workstand
> >could crush it?
>
> Nope. Bikes that are ridden around here (South Mountain park in the
> Phoenix Arizona area) get beat up a LOT under "normal conditions". A
> good friend of mine recently got a second bike (a high-zoot steel IF
> hard tail) that lasted about two months before the down tube was caved
> in - back on his several-year-old

"<manufacturer deleted, Shaun>"

Are you g.daniels in disguise?!?!? Heheheh. ',;~}~

> straight gauge ti bike again...

You mean one of the most decidedly excellent Habaneros? Heheheheh......
',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Jasper Janssen
July 10th 03, 12:29 PM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:02:32 GMT, "KSlater" > wrote:
>"David Kunz" > wrote in message
rthlink.net...

>> Unfortunately, quick release seat post clamps don't always hold well
>> enough (they slowly slide down), and they usually recommend against lots
>> of use :).

>If you use them tight enough the don't slide down. I have never had my seat
>slide down.

How much do both of you weigh? It's not that easy to tighten even a
regular bolt type clamp enough that a greased seatpost doesn't slide down
on me. The bigger issue is, of course, that steel pipe type seatposts in
the longer reaches just can't take my weight, period, and bend over.
Haven't yet solved that one.

Jasper

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home