PDA

View Full Version : source for 650b stuff in london or uk

December 17th 06, 12:56 AM
hi, i hope this is'nt off-topic, but i think this topic is pretty
bicycles.misc, so here goes:
it's a quick question, and you've probably already got the gist from
the title:
does anyone know of a seller of 650b rims and tyres in london or the
uk?
thanks.

Dane Buson
December 17th 06, 04:11 AM
wrote:
> hi, i hope this is'nt off-topic, but i think this topic is pretty
> bicycles.misc, so here goes: it's a quick question, and you've
> probably already got the gist from the title:

> does anyone know of a seller of 650b rims and tyres in london or the
> uk?

You'd probably have better luck asking the residents of uk.rec.cycling.

Personally I'm irritated that I need to have three [1] sizes of tires
and rims at my house. I can't imagine adding a fourth by choice. Most
likely masochism on your part I'd suppose.

[1] 700c, 26", 20".

--
Dane Buson -
On again, off, on again, off again. You'd think it was a carousel

Tony Raven
December 17th 06, 08:20 AM
Dane Buson wrote on 17/12/2006 04:11 +0100:
> wrote:
>> hi, i hope this is'nt off-topic, but i think this topic is pretty
>> bicycles.misc, so here goes: it's a quick question, and you've
>> probably already got the gist from the title:
>
>> does anyone know of a seller of 650b rims and tyres in london or the
>> uk?
>
> You'd probably have better luck asking the residents of uk.rec.cycling.

The most likely suspect, http://www.sjscycles.co.uk, doesn't do 650b
rims and the CTC site indicates they are not available in the UK. You
should be able to get the tyres through most LBS's although the choice
might be limited. Best to order from Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery who
has a good selection of both and will ship to the UK
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims/584.html

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

mark
December 17th 06, 08:27 AM
wrote:
> hi, i hope this is'nt off-topic, but i think this topic is pretty
> bicycles.misc, so here goes:
> it's a quick question, and you've probably already got the gist from
> the title:
> does anyone know of a seller of 650b rims and tyres in london or the
> uk?
> thanks.

St. John Street Cycles lists the size in their list of available sizes,
but they don't list any brands or models.

Massachusetts hasn't been part of the UK for quite some time now, but
the folks at Harris Cyclery (http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/ )
will probably ship you a pair for not much more than they would cost in
the UK.

mark

Rob Morley
December 17th 06, 01:03 PM
In article >
Tony Raven > wrote:
> Dane Buson wrote on 17/12/2006 04:11 +0100:
> > wrote:
> >> hi, i hope this is'nt off-topic, but i think this topic is pretty
> >> bicycles.misc, so here goes: it's a quick question, and you've
> >> probably already got the gist from the title:
> >
> >> does anyone know of a seller of 650b rims and tyres in london or the
> >> uk?
> >
> > You'd probably have better luck asking the residents of uk.rec.cycling.
> >

> The most likely suspect, http://www.sjscycles.co.uk, doesn't do 650b
> rims and the CTC site indicates they are not available in the UK. You
> should be able to get the tyres through most LBS's although the choice
> might be limited. Best to order from Sheldon Brown/Harris Cyclery who
> has a good selection of both and will ship to the UK
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/rims/584.html

Surely there are French web shops that can supply these?

Ozark Bicycle
December 17th 06, 02:33 PM
Dane Buson wrote:
> wrote:
> > hi, i hope this is'nt off-topic, but i think this topic is pretty
> > bicycles.misc, so here goes: it's a quick question, and you've
> > probably already got the gist from the title:
>
> > does anyone know of a seller of 650b rims and tyres in london or the
> > uk?
>
> You'd probably have better luck asking the residents of uk.rec.cycling.
>
> Personally I'm irritated that I need to have three [1] sizes of tires
> and rims at my house. I can't imagine adding a fourth by choice. Most
> likely masochism on your part I'd suppose.

650B is the choice of those wanting to be "different" and part of G.
Peterson's "elite". Not having easy access to spares is part of the
"fun".

> [1] 700c, 26", 20".
>
> --
> Dane Buson -
> On again, off, on again, off again. You'd think it was a carousel
> and not an electrical utility. Here's to hoping I'll be able to cook
> breakfast in the morning.

December 17th 06, 03:43 PM
Ozark Bicycle wrote:

> 650B is the choice of those wanting to be "different" and part of G.
> Peterson's "elite". Not having easy access to spares is part of the
> "fun".

www.ozarkbicycleservice.com

Welcome to Ozark Bicycle Service
100% Service and 0% "Attitude"
Beat the "system"- Get the lowest price and the best service!
Ozark Bicycle Service is a new, 21st century paradigm for recreational
cyclists, a paradigm that offers an alternative to the system of high
prices on parts and mediocre service offered by all too many bicycle
dealers. We welcome and encourage cyclists to find the lowest prices on
cycling gear through mail-order, the internet, "online auction" sites,
swap meets, yard sales, etc.

December 17th 06, 04:01 PM
thanks for the info people.

sjs cycles looks like a good place.

i'm trying to make my racing frame more comfortable, and it will only
fit 23mm tyres at the 700c size.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/650b.html

http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/index.html

sourcing rare parts would hopefully be a lesser masochism than the
masochism of commuting over london roads on racing tyres.

Dane Buson
December 17th 06, 05:40 PM
wrote:

> thanks for the info people.
>
> sjs cycles looks like a good place.
>
> i'm trying to make my racing frame more comfortable, and it will only
> fit 23mm tyres at the 700c size.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/650b.html
>
> http://sheldonbrown.org/iro/index.html
>
> sourcing rare parts would hopefully be a lesser masochism than the
> masochism of commuting over london roads on racing tyres.

I really think trying to retrofit a racing style road bike is a bit like
putting lipstick on a pig. Does your current frame have fender
(mudguard) mounts or rack mounts? Does it have adequate gearing for
you?

Of course, if you can find a used older frame, it will be cheaper and
quite likely have plenty of room for a 32mm + fender combination. I
suppose it depends what portion of the labor you can do yourself. I'm
setup to do everything myself, your mileage may vary.

--
Dane Buson -
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a dark side,

December 17th 06, 07:01 PM
Dane Buson wrote:

> I really think trying to retrofit a racing style road bike is a bit like
> putting lipstick on a pig. Does your current frame have fender
> (mudguard) mounts or rack mounts? Does it have adequate gearing for
> you?

or what about putting wellies on a glamour model? might actually be
appealing.

by the way i've got clip on fenders that fit fine with the 700c wheels.

> Of course, if you can find a used older frame, it will be cheaper and
> quite likely have plenty of room for a 32mm + fender combination. I
> suppose it depends what portion of the labor you can do yourself. I'm
> setup to do everything myself, your mileage may vary.

in a second hand bike shop, those cheap old frames always feel really
sluggish and heavy with bad handling compared with what i've got which
is a nice old hand made steel racing frame.

but maybe that's because the cheaper ones have bad wheels, bars and
brakes, and if you change a few things it might turn out to have a nice
ride, and be much cheaper.

or maybe i could put some 26" 559 MTB style wheels on the racer? this
might acheive the softer ride, using easy to get parts.

of course you'd have to do this in either case:

http://sheldonbrown.com/home-drop.html

which would make my bike look really cool and different, and might
attract some ladies...?

i dunno.

Ozark Bicycle
December 18th 06, 03:30 AM
wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> >
> > 650B is the choice of those wanting to be "different" and part of G.
> > Peterson's "elite". Not having easy access to spares is part of the
> > "fun".
> > >

> www.ozarkbicycleservice.com
>
> Welcome to Ozark Bicycle Service
> 100% Service and 0% "Attitude"
> Beat the "system"- Get the lowest price and the best service!
> Ozark Bicycle Service is a new, 21st century paradigm for recreational
> cyclists, a paradigm that offers an alternative to the system of high
> prices on parts and mediocre service offered by all too many bicycle
> dealers. We welcome and encourage cyclists to find the lowest prices on
> cycling gear through mail-order, the internet, "online auction" sites,
> swap meets, yard sales, etc.

Do you have a point?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home