PDA

View Full Version : Re: polishing scratches off sunglasses?

Arous
July 9th 03, 09:31 PM
Dunno' if this really works
but...http://www.scratchpolish.com/glass_restoration.htm

Cordially,
Arous

"Raptor" > wrote in message ...
> I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that
> the lenses must be replaced. Is there a way?
>
> --
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
> "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
> our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
> --Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Dave Thompson
July 9th 03, 10:14 PM
">

Arous" > wrote in message
> Dunno' if this really works
> but...http://www.scratchpolish.com/glass_restoration.htm

It won't. They specifically do not mention eyewear. Most GOOD plastic
eyewear has various color, anti-reflective and other coatings on one or both
sides of the lens, much like camera lenses, binoculars and telescopes. Any
attempt at polishing would remove any or all of these coatings. If your
sunglasses are cheap, try polishing with a fine plastic polish. If your
sunglasses are good ones, buy new lenses if the scratches bother you, and
then take very good care of them.

Chris Zacho The Wheelman
July 10th 03, 12:35 AM
Most lenses have coatings for scratch resistance, glare, etc. If you try
to pol8ish the lens, the coating will wear off, but not enough to see
through.

You can try it, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to
replace the lenses, which you'll have to do if you don't anyway.

May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!
Chris

Chris'Z Corner
"The Website for the Common Bicyclist":
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

E & V Willson
July 10th 03, 01:51 AM
If you are ready to write them off, you might try polishing the lenses with
toothpaste. This sometimes works, but as several others have mentioned the
coatings will be removed.

Toothpaste has worked for me where there was very light scratching.

HTH,
Ernie

Raptor wrote:

> I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that
> the lenses must be replaced. Is there a way?
>
> --
> --
> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall
> "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
> our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
> --Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Raptor
July 10th 03, 03:45 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
> Most lenses have coatings for scratch resistance, glare, etc. If you try
> to pol8ish the lens, the coating will wear off, but not enough to see
> through.
>
> You can try it, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to
> replace the lenses, which you'll have to do if you don't anyway.

Actually, I did try with my Dremel (then a variable-speed drill) and the
Dremel polishing compound. Too strong, just made a big foggy area with
scratches perhaps not as deep. I've ordered replacement lenses but
realized that if there's a way to remove scratches, I'll want to know
for the future.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Werehatrack
July 10th 03, 03:45 AM
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 14:04:13 -0600, Raptor > may have
said:

>I talked to a local eyewear lab and they told me it can't be done, that
>the lenses must be replaced. Is there a way?

If they're plastic lenses, you might conceal the scratches with car
wax. Trying to buff them back out will sometimes work, but I've
concealed a multitude of small blemishes on a pair of prescription
Polaroids using Meguiar's. Try a little of it on the least necessary
corner of the lens first, though; some car waxes will actively attack
polycarbonates.

---
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

it's also possible that I'm busy.

Anthony Campbell
July 11th 03, 01:51 PM
In article >, Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
> Most lenses have coatings for scratch resistance, glare, etc. If you try
> to pol8ish the lens, the coating will wear off, but not enough to see
> through.
>
> You can try it, the worst that will happen is that you'll have to
> replace the lenses, which you'll have to do if you don't anyway.

I had antirelflective coating on a pair of prescription glasses (plastic
lenses) which deteriorated; I successfully polished it off, together
with some scratches, using metal polish (Brasso).

AC

--
Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone
http://www.acampbell.org.uk (book reviews and articles)

g.daniels
July 15th 03, 05:06 PM
clean and apply quality from the doc's office eyeglass silicon.follow
directions. reapply after drying drying and not getting grit covered
that is don't use them put frame in a clean container the redo several
times. the silicone fills cuts and dims the bright reflections fronm
the cut's sides!! also works for your suiza.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home